Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > ask you to email their personal account      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 2
ask you to email their personal accountPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I don't think so.

I guess it depends on the person, but it could just be that they check their email more frequently than going to a dating site. This is the age of smart phones and Wifi everywhere. If you're suspicious about them in some way, then you should keep it here. Otherwise I see no danger in setting up an account somewhere that you use just for dating, if you're worried about spam.
 mg1007
Msg: 3
ask you to email their personal account
Posted: 10/23/2011 7:11:37 PM
They can e-mail u through this site. They may be in a relationship or it could be a dating scam. I know two people who almost fell for it. Huge red flag it's waving like crazy. Just be cautious.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/23/2011 7:18:31 PM
I don't see how emailing through an email server is opening one up to scammers. I'm not saying it's impossible - I just can't figure out how having an @ address makes you any more or less vulnerable than doing it through the server on this website.
 home_osorio
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/23/2011 8:18:15 PM
I have not done that yet, the emailing each other using our own email accounts. It always is that after me and the guy messages back and forth, the next step we do is give out our phone numbers and either text or call then meet up in person.
 egowitch
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/24/2011 8:38:56 AM
This one's easy ! I
ve had that hap[pen numerous times. I simply say that I prefer staying on POF for awhile , to see if there are some things in common, and if we can communicate. THEN I'll consider the options.

If they can't handle that , that's their choice. Fine. BYE.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/24/2011 9:57:30 AM
It my be convenient for them but for me it's an extra step. I have POF on my smartphone, so it's no different than e-mailing somewhere else - so for me there's no reason to move it to another address.

A person can send messages on days they are doing other things, so it's not really inconvenient for them unless they are trying to increase the conversation - I'm not offended if I don't talk to them everyday. Once or twice a week is fine by me.
 BBurlington
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/24/2011 10:05:43 AM
I sometimes ask women I am talking to to email me to my personal account. Usually not until we have talked for a few weeks though. The reason behind this is simply that I don't check this site that often and the email account I have it attached to is not one I check regularly (created it for dating purposes and most of it is spam by now) The second reason is that I work with confidential information at work and they have proxy servers which disable connections to non-work related sites. What this comes down to is that I like to check emails more often than I am able to through this site. Nothing sinister!
 OyVay...
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/24/2011 10:12:09 AM
"is this a red flag?"

Hmmm, don't know! Could be he spends the day on the net and has his email open all the time. Could be he isn't allowed to have POF open on his work computer(not the first company to restrict what you can view).

Or it could be like the others said and he's a scammer or con man.

When we are interested in someone(especially in the beginning) we want as much contact as possible. So if he wants to exchange emails more frequently, that could be the reason. Also POF deletes emails after 30 days. Not sure if it goes back further with that "check all correspondence" option they have.

Look in the end, it's really up to you, what is acceptable and what is not. You want it here, tell him. If he's not OK with it, ohhh well!
 meksikali
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/24/2011 11:16:17 AM
after a few messages I ask for facebook friendship. because in pof profile there are usually a few photos and a few pharagraphs of blah blah. I don't have time to message for weeks to know a person while I can see who she really is in 2 minutes on facebook. ofcourse I got red flagged many times for that. but paranoid girls are not my type anyways.
 abelian
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/24/2011 11:46:02 AM

Why can't they just email me from the site I'm on.

Who knows? If you want to talk to them, just send the email. On the other hand, if you want to have difficulty dating, be as inflexible as possible.

Is there are reason for this, is this a red flag?

Everything is a red flag, including split infinitives and ending emails with propositions.
 OutMind
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/24/2011 1:06:27 PM
I don't get that problem here in POF. I get it all the time in Match. Nine out of then of those are scams. They are easy to scout because, they practically do not care what is your age, income, and for some reason most of these women do not drink. I guess with women, you get the Nigerian scam, or a few others. They tend to follow predictable pattern to then hook you into some scam.

It's amazing because this site does a 1o times better job policing that Match does.

So, like others have said, do not move to private email, until you feel comfortable. I personally do not switch to personal email, until we have met in person once and in a public place.
 getanet
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/24/2011 1:29:40 PM
Bottom line:
It's not really any more difficult to enter a username/password here to access POF than it is to access one's e-mail. The rare occasions I have rcvd mssgs asking to e-mail them outside here, 100% of the time their account is deleted in short order.

Social engineering for spammers is effective in that they KNOW they have a live fish on the other end when you respond. "Hey, check out this cool pic from my trip that I've attached to my e-mail." You click on said attachment, *presto* malware or viruses now have an easy way to infiltrate your PC.

Highly suspect, and if it doesn't feel quite right, your gut is probably telling you something.
I have yet to take it outside of the POF messaging system for these reasons when attempting to get to know someone.
 bunnyfan
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/24/2011 2:40:29 PM
Yes and I HATE it when they want my phone number right away. Once you give out your phone number, you can't get it back! If they ask for stuff like emails or phone numbers before establishing that we are compatable enough to meet, then I just say I have to go. And then they send me nasty hate mail...sigh....but that just proves to me that my intuition was correct! I can't TELL you how many times this has happened to me.
 NewYorkbiker
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/24/2011 3:09:46 PM
I am on another site where I get between 5 and 10 requests almost every day.....

#1 red flag: No pic and the ages are all over the place.....They all say once you e-mail their private acct, they will send pics... Yeah, right....
#2 red flag: Grammar is so bad I can't understand what they are trying to say....

#3 red flag: Every single time they include their Yahoo mail acct...

I might have been born at night, but it sure wasn't last night....

I normally don't reply to anyone on that site, but a few weeks ago I decided to let down my guard and reply to someone from that site and I have been seeing her for three weeks now....But I sure was skeptical going to that first meet...
 Pingshooter
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2011 8:09:49 PM
Someone here posted a link where you can download a program that you can match the photo of someone with all the photos on the web. It is a very useful tool. I had it on my desk top of my PC, but I am working off a laptop now.

Many false profile pictures can be discovered to be someone elses..neat tool.

If whoever has it..can post that link to that site again, I'd appreciate it.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2011 8:44:49 PM

the photo check app is called tineye http://www.tineye.com/

Thank you ma'am.
 Pete2205
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2011 9:19:41 PM
I think there is a fine line between being paranoid and being careful

1.I will give out my FB address after a couple of mails so that the person can see stacks more photos and get a better idea about me.

2.I will give a person I have been talking to on here my home number and mobile and suggest that they with hold their number if they so wish.

3. I will give out my personal email address as well as 1 and 2 to someone I have been chatting to a couple of times I have nothing to hide and if it reassures a fish on here then great.
I can always put the phone down/block them if for some reason I start to feel uncomfortable or the person turns out to have some ''issues''.

Each has to make their own judgement and hope we are right - Even when you meet someone there are no guarantees we all know that.

All we can do is safeguard our selves by only giving out what information we are comfortable with.
 virVerus
Msg: 26
Posted: 10/25/2011 11:07:08 PM

I'm wondering why guys that have sent me a message, and I respond to, then give me
their personal email account and ask me to email them there. Why can't they just email me
from the site I'm on. This has happened more than a few times.

Is there are reason for this, is this a red flag?

Maybe he wants to keep e-mails from you in a folder which POF doesn't offer. Plus, POF has a habit of deleting older messages from your inbox after a while.
 That_girl*
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/26/2011 5:25:20 PM
true true true cosigns with Basiate

ive found out alot of the so called single no kids never married or ever been to jail/prison charming men had indeed been to jail restraining orders car thieft ect warrants dui ect ect are INDEED married or engaged still legally married had mutiple kids an lied about their ages..even finding some that had profiles that where into beastiality an all kinds of werid fetishes..nobody is a perfect angel but dam if you lying about all that..come on how long do they think the act will last.an that nobody will ever find out.

there's 1 inparticular guy on here no names mentioned that had messaged me before..i found out he's only been out for maybe 3years for but served time for larceny an multiple car thieft
i always knew something looked off about him he just had a dead fish eye stare in his pics even when smiling now i know why..he asked if i wanted to meet up sometime..i never replied back i was thinking hell naw!

in my book your guilty until proven innocent an even then with somebody new i wont trust you no further then i can see you in my range of view.an even then still some have mirror an smoke tricks,trust is earned not given an actions will always speak louder then words relationships an friendship grow stronger with time.
 nice2smile
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2011 6:11:19 PM
If the man/woman asks you to use their personal email address or IM right off the bat, as in 1st POF email or IM, then typically they are a scammer. Rarely are they legit. I'm pretty good at spotting them. Usually they compliment the heck out of you immediately, as well.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2011 7:34:41 PM
Huge red flag.

They will say things like you're not their type anyway or claim you're paranoid. You already know it. Trust your instincts and don't let anyone doubt your gut. :)
 1CoastalCutie
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2017 9:49:11 AM
If a man wants to become better acquainted, why not call? Texting is another off site option. Ultimately, I want to meet. Pen pals is not thw option i signed up for.

The POF platform offers more protection from scamming and pfishing from one's personal info.
 hemingway234
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/18/2017 11:42:25 AM
It's a Nigerian boilerroom scam. They want to connect with you on personal email as quickly as possible, before their POF account is deleted (because they are a scammer). There is no need for Email, POF has a message/email system.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2017 7:44:35 PM
scammer,,,

--run Forest run
 Chambella_
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2017 10:11:02 PM
Yeah sure often it is scammers ... but after I have emailed with someone from a/the site for a length of time and I feel comfortable, I actually prefer to go to regular email, mainly because I don't often log into this site when I check my regular email every day.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > ask you to email their personal account