Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > When do you give a guy your number?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 3
When do you give a guy your number?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

He gave me his number and asked for mine. But my only problem is that I'm nervous about giving a guy my number

CALL him and talk to him a while.. Not just that texting junk..
After talking to him a few times, you may feel comfortable with giving him yours..
And plan a "first meet" within a week or two.. Could give it to him there if you like..
 c_deacon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
When do you give a guy your number?
Posted: 10/27/2011 12:35:18 PM
This is one good reason I do not give out my number until the woman gives me hers......"tit for tat" kind of thing!

If you are not comfortable, do not do it, and just email each other until you are....but know this......if you ask for his number, be prepared to give yours up too!!

cd..............
 abelian
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/27/2011 12:41:31 PM
Go buy a prepaid phone for $14.00 and you won't have to worry about it.
 kanlai
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2011 1:34:50 PM
1) If you've been sounding confident, natural, direct and yourself all along, then giving him your phone number now shows him that you really are that forward, gutsy, laid back type...which you don't seem to be
2) if you've been sounding desperate, putting on a fake overly friendly tone, giving him your number validates that you're desperate...

do you even know why you're uncomfortable? why?
he can't do much with a cell phone number other than calling you..
if you're just not mentally prepard to let him hear your voice, then don't do it..you'll just end up sounding weird
 Mariposaa
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/27/2011 1:54:45 PM
I agree, you shouldn't give your number just because he gives you his number. if you don't want to give him yours let him know. If he doesn't respect that hes not worth it. Let him know you'll msg/call him when you are ready
 OzzGirl22
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/27/2011 2:11:37 PM
I do not have an issue giving out my cell number. If they become I freak I can always block them, but that has never happened so far.
 Archangel_07
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/27/2011 2:27:12 PM
wait until you are comfortable with the guy. Let him earn your trust
 daynadaze
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2011 2:35:54 PM
I don't give men my number, for several reasons, one being why would I hand out a private number to someone I barely know and don't know if I want him to call me? I might as well post it. If a man is going to demand I give him my number or he's not going to date me, fine with me. I don't want him to do something that doesn't work for him, but I'm still not giving him my phone number.
 TerrieLynnC
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/27/2011 3:16:28 PM
I would suggest you buy a disposable cell phone or a Track Phone .......they are pay as you go
 jt guy
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/27/2011 6:17:30 PM
I hear you talking Ozzgirl. OP, just have your cell number made private and you call him any time you like, is another way to talk, until you are ready to exchange numbers.
You really want to hear him talk, because so much more can be determined than by emails. Most of the time you can determine if a meeting is even desired with a phone call.
 junipermoon
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2011 6:55:38 PM
i only give out my number after i've given them my top-secret pear-hazelnut muffin recipe. and they're only to use it if they have questions while baking said muffins.
 LittleLisa03
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2011 7:18:36 PM

He gave me his number and asked for mine. But my only problem is that I'm nervous about giving a guy my number after we have only been talking a few days. Should I take a chance or wait until I'm completely comfortable with it?

If you're feeling uncomfortable with giving out your number right now, don't do it. I've noticed that a lot of guys who have approached me on here will ask for my number within the first couple of messages - that seems too soon, in my opinion. Nothing wrong with chatting on here for a while. :)
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2011 7:18:38 PM
I don't give it out until I am comfortable. But I also don't let that get in the way of meeting in person either. I totally agree that meeting ASAP is an important part of getting to know someone.

However, people often take it personally when you take your time and some make it a requirement by saying if you want to get together again call me. I like to meet a few times before exchanging numbers. Nothing wrong with being a little different.

Anyone who criticizes, judges, pressures, plays a guilt trip on me or makes me feel uncomfortable about not giving out my number just because we met 1 time or just because he gave out his number is just not a good match for me.
 Pasionlatina529
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/27/2011 8:15:36 PM
I have a DATE CHECK app on my phone and if he gives me his number I look it up first..if i don't feel comfortable i give him my textfree number and try texting but I feel okay about it..I do give my number if I know he's local. I have not had any bad experiences this way..I've had more with chatting online or after the fact..that's another story...lol
 LittleLisa03
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2011 9:40:31 PM

"OMG he wants my number, what should I do!?"

You fail at dating.

If you want to meet someone online fine, you look at their profile they look at yours, you mail them they mail you, you two talk a bit, they ask for your number and.... you freeze up like a 16 year old being asked out for the first time...

Great way to tell someone you're just 'not all that into them' = Say no when they ask you for your number.

Wow... Don't agree with you at all.
 fit2date
Msg: 27
Posted: 10/28/2011 1:55:05 AM
There are so many options for you. Try skype, you can always block him.

Hope you don't have a cell phone that can be tracked.
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/28/2011 5:51:56 AM
i'd wait till ur both having a banging good time..lol
 OutMind
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/28/2011 12:23:45 PM
I am one that does not like to spend forever emailing back and forth. I also am not into instant messaging. Also, I don't want to be talking on the phone forever, unless we have already met. So my idea is to email for one to two weeks max. Then try to set up a meeting, at that point I ask for digits. Many women like to be called first, what that means is that instead of me offering my phone number, they provide their phone number. Many women, will offer their phone number without even asking after three or four emails. Other's you have to ask.

Also, it does not mean that you are desperate or anything.

I do have one caveat. If she does not offer her phone number, I will not meet with her. End of story. I lady I met not too long ago, said that she was a little phone shy and didn't like to talk for long. I told her that I just wanted to make sure I had her number, in case anyone may be running late. She felt better and gave me her phone number.

In therm of security. I think you may need to be more protective of your email than your phone number. This day and age you can simply block someone that becomes a pest.
 Trinty101
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2011 1:49:18 PM
If I'm interested when we meet! It's not as if I'm giving him my address?..Duh! A phone number is assertive!..... Not Desperate!
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2011 2:11:30 PM

I do have one caveat. If she does not offer her phone number, I will not meet with her. End of story.

Everyone has a different approach. I would not give out my number before meeting a couple of times. If I am meeting someone I'm attracted to and welcome a 2nd or third meeting obviously I'm interested. Why would I need a phone number if I can spend time and get to know someone better first? Does he want to date me or my number? It is so easy to meet someone in person by making arrangements through POF. You do not need numbers to get to know someone in person.

If there is still no number exchange after 3 or 4 meetings that's a different story.
 PacificStar
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2011 2:49:53 PM
If you give someone your land line phone number you ARE giving them your address and sometimes a whole lot more.

For a couple bucks and access to a search engine you would be shocked how much information someone can find on you. I actually recommend folks taking the time to do just that because often the information isn't correct. The decent folks are not going to do this initially but until you meet someone you do not have a clue if they are who they say they are in a profile. It is no big deal to lift bogus pictures and create a persona. For some it is just a hobby to kill time.

My experience is a person who pressures to get a phone number is the same person that can't take no for an answer once you meet in person usually with some abusive diatribe, drunk dials at 4:00am months later, thinks it is ok to drop by , or generally just has to answer their phone 14 times during the meet and greet.

Someone that is so paternal that they have to call to see if I am somehow maimed if I am not on the dot for a simple meet and greet is going to be a drag in a relationship.
 rcdkoolkop
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/28/2011 3:04:22 PM
Well if you've already talked on the phone -if you haven't blocked your number I imagine he has it, and doesn't want to call you till you feel comfortable for him to do so, if on the other hand he doesn't have it -why is it such a big deal for him to have it since apparently you've talked to him several times already.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2011 5:40:03 PM
It is not an issue about being worried or scared.

1. Giving someone your number means, “Go ahead and call me.” While I’m still getting to know someone, who I am very interested in, I don’t see why I should be judged for not giving out my number. Why not be upfront with yourself and sincere with the person you’re meeting (or getting to know) instead of ignoring phone calls or blocking someone? If I (anyone) don’t give my number it’s because I - don’t - want - to. It doesn’t mean A, B, C, or D. It’s nobodies business why I do or don’t do something. This is usually not an issue when you find the right person anyway.

2. In situations like this, when a dating site already provides communication methods you can meet as many times you like without having to exchange numbers. It is a choice. It is not a reflection on the other person. People read in to these things and take it far too personally. They should lighten up a bit.

3. It doesn’t matter how many people agree with who. This is not a competition.

People who have no intentions of meeting someone should not keep e-mailing them on and on forever leading them on, and people who are still getting to know each other, especially if they already met once and have set up a second date, should not be pressured or blamed for not wanting to give out their number right away. Respect for individuality never hurts, but blaming and judging someone prematurely doesn't accomplish anything.
 tlw9191
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/28/2011 8:31:45 PM

Nothing wrong with chatting on here for a while. :)

Classic line from the time wasters on here. Don't know how many I've heard this and every time it's lead to absolutely nothing as they will eventually stop replying to your messages after awhile.
 Spicyone2010
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2011 8:55:30 PM
OMG...You people are draggin' it! Obviously you don't give your home phone number to anyone online...just give your cell number...How do you expect to get to know each other with life long emails and IMs? You can feel each other out when you actually speak to the other person and you can tell whether there is rhythm through conversation. People spend so much time hiding behind the damn computer screen, it's no wonder so many have become socially inept.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > When do you give a guy your number?