Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > Effect of location outside LA area on dating.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 1
Effect of location outside LA area on dating.Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Where I live now has been a great place to regroup with space for my things and a ridiculously cheap rent as compared to the SCV. I typically just stay around here during the week and any weekend free time is spent elsewhere in LA.

I get responses from women who say they like me but not my location.. What is the deal if I typically drive by your part of town on the freeway headed to the coast on the weekends on a regular basis anyway?

Should I consider moving just for improved dating and deal with a longer daily commute and higher expenses just for a more desirable location on my profile? I would rather not move again until I am ready to buy some nice horse property.
 john_in_bh
Msg: 2
Effect of location outside LA area on dating.
Posted: 10/29/2011 9:08:53 AM
I would not move for dating reasons alone. I live in Beverly Hills and the Plenty of Fish online dating sucks just the same. The whole LA metro area sucks, since as mentioned before the real world M to F ratios are bad to begin with. And since you are dating younger girls than me, it sucks even more because the younger age range has the most demand. At first glance, you may think that around 6% more men is not such a big deal. But if you really think about it when you take a number like 1 million, that’s 60,000 more single men to be thrown under the bus. That's nearly twice as many people that live in the entire City of Beverly Hills!

Single M per 100 F per 2010 US Census for "LA City":

25-29 106.4
30-34 106
35-39 105.5
40-44 106.2
45-49 102
50-54 96.9
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/29/2011 3:56:54 PM
Rich I think I will wait until I get my boat and I will put my location as Dana Point since this is where the slip is.

Steve

I get 2 or 3 women emailing per week. Repeat messages from most of them. The majority of them just suddenly stop emailing with no indication as to why. I even had my best platonic female friend look over emails before and she was like I don't know what the eff her problem is either.

Steve how much of going from 2-3 emails a week to many more is that POF selection has changed and how much of it is you having a better grasp of online dating?
 john_in_bh
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/29/2011 5:49:41 PM

I get about 5 to 10 messages a day.

Steve-Wow, that is incredible. A guy I know who is a model had a profile up for a while and he was not even getting that many. I have never run the numbers in San Bernadino County..I think thats where Upland is..but maybe it's better there.

I have not noticed anything better around here. I do notice that the same girls are on this thing for years (and many have the same pictures up!)
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/29/2011 7:00:58 PM
I'm west of I-405 on the westside (of LA), and I have actually never dated anyone who lived in my same zip code in the past 20 years. The last time I dated anyone living in the same zip code as myself was during college (on the east coast). It seems at times as if most of the single people in my age group (40's) live either south of the airport, in Hollywood and points east, or in the SFV, but not around me.

In response to this thread, I took a look at my community directory, and for the 340 homes it covers, 2/3's are families (or married couples), and out of the 1/3 left over, more than half are single due to being widowed. People my age don't seem to live here unless they're married (for homeowners, or in LT committed relationships if they're in the nearby apartment areas outside of my immediate area). Strange.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/30/2011 12:37:30 AM
Just read your profile.. IMHO an interesting mix of not pulling any punches but not taking any cheap shots and interjecting a bit of humor... Good job.

I have had some decent dates via other sites. So far POF has been 20 pounds of #2 in a 2 pound bag..
 meksikali
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/30/2011 1:00:56 PM
I don't think the location will effect meeting people. I usually search 75 miles. The important thing is being close to the hang out places. The most powerful phrase to bring your date to your place is 'I live only 2 blocks away'. It makes things a lot easier.
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/30/2011 5:11:37 PM
I dont think it matters where you guys live. Dont wait for the women to message you. Youll be waiting all the way to the old folks home! Most of us dont message the guys we wait till someones contacted us first. Not all but most of us.
 john_in_bh
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/30/2011 5:50:20 PM

Most of us dont message the guys we wait till someones contacted us first.

You are right. Anyway why would you take any of the grunt of the ego kiling rejection when us guys are much tougher and we can suck it all up?
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/30/2011 7:29:45 PM
Exactly! Jeez jk but really, Im old school I wait til someones approached me 1st just how I am. Its funny my friends and I look at the profiles and it reminds me when wed go cruisin back in high school. Times have changed! I wasnt knocking the women that go for what they want at all... more power to them!
 Tinman2009
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/31/2011 12:04:07 AM
I also live in the Antelope Valley and I agree with you, the dating options here are very limited. Online dating should only be used as plan B. I've had many dates from POF over the years, but nothing beats real life dating like being introduced by friends or coworkers, or meeting someone at the supermarket or even at church. I would not recommend moving because of an online dating site. It appears that your priority at this time is your job, so follow the money. Like someone else here mentioned, change your zip code on your profile to the zip code where you spend your weekends or your free time at. Make sure you mention it on your profile because you may want to keep things honest. A woman who likes you not only will understand, but may even want to drive out where you are on occasion instead of you driving to her part of town all the time.
 Tinman2009
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/31/2011 12:09:58 AM
Frijolera Ninja, haha, funniest name in POF. Even the dancing pickle is laughing. lol.
 john_in_bh
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/31/2011 10:37:01 AM

Just be happy you're not in China in 15-20 years...

What do you mean in 15-20 years? Even now, it's like 10 guys for each girl in the real world there. The one child rule had all the girl births aborted. It's horrible. This is why prostitution runs rampant there and the blow up dole business is booming.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/31/2011 2:48:44 PM

I also live in the Antelope Valley and I agree with you, the dating options here are very limited.

So limited I ruled it out before I even started.

Online dating should only be used as plan B. I've had many dates from POF over the years, but nothing beats real life dating like being introduced by friends or coworkers, or meeting someone at the supermarket or even at church.

The supermarket I frequent is still in the AV and consistes of the same stunted yet engorged dating pool. I have had better luck at random when I stop for food with the crew on cycle rides along the coast and on other adventures away from here.

I would not recommend moving because of an online dating site. It appears that your priority at this time is your job, so follow the money. Like someone else here mentioned, change your zip code on your profile to the zip code where you spend your weekends or your free time at.

I will change my zip and explain it all after I have my sailboat. Effectively a floating condo in the OC on the rare occasion that I stay in port as opposed to getting away.
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/1/2011 5:34:23 PM
Re - Reply #11: I certainly don't wait. My messages get ignored at least 10 times per week!
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/4/2011 2:44:59 AM
I am trying the different zip code with the explanation on a different site. One I recently decided to try. So this makes three.. I will see if it matters or not there.
 john_in_bh
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/7/2011 8:05:05 AM
^^^^
I agree. Driving in LA is terrible.

Having had relationships where I have had to drive an hour or more, I don't want that again. Many times it shows girls that are that far away if not more. No matter how hot they are, I pass cuz there is no point of starting a relationship with somebody if you are not able to see them easily.
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/7/2011 12:14:57 PM
The 75 mile range isn't all that it's cracked up to be. About 5 years ago, I dated someone who lived 55 miles from me. As it turned out, she cheated on me with someone who lived about 10 miles away. Enough said.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/10/2011 2:18:49 AM
It seems like the farther out from the coast and further into the desert you get the odds of finding someone I would actually date go down fast.

I won't drive more than 10 miles ever again.

I drive over 10 miles just to get groceries out here so for a good date I would go farther. Since there is no traffic and few lights if you know the smart way it takes less time than going 5 miles in the city.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/11/2011 1:59:02 AM
It does work out well for everything except dating. Short commute to a fat paycheck. Much lower costs of living and after a reasonable drive or ride on a day off I can still smell the ocean and watch the waves crash.

I do think the dynamic online is sad considering that I can drive out to an area like Laguna and with class and confidence approach a knockout to find most of them are happy with the attention and respond with as much respect as they received.
 john_in_bh
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/11/2011 9:09:24 AM
It does suck bad..not just in the AV but all of the greater LA area.

Think about it, do you think a cute (even halfway decent looking) no extra pounded girl with no baggage would have any trouble getting 40 emails a day and dating as much as she wants from POF if she lived in the AV?

You seem to do well IRL...why even bother on POS?
 john_in_bh
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/11/2011 9:58:29 AM
I have known girls on POF that get that many. I know it's crazy...but I have seen it with my own eyes.
 john_in_bh
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/11/2011 12:53:45 PM
My incoming messages stay pretty constant. A constant 0. My reply rate is pretty close to that. I don't even bother anymore for the dating part of this site, unless I feel like I want to be thrown under the bus.
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/11/2011 5:57:33 PM
I used to get quite a few in the beginning then it kind of slowed down somewhat after summer. Figures now that Ive found someone Im comfortable with they start back up again!
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/11/2011 6:37:02 PM
John...... have to have some distraction on breaks at work so I POF...
Show ALL Forums  > California  > Effect of location outside LA area on dating.