Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Herman Cain-racism or sexual harrassment?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 vnufall
Msg: 1
Herman Cain-racism or sexual harrassment?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
i noticed today in the news Herman Cain still hasn't pushed off the sexual harrassment rumors. now it seems he's blaming Rick Perry. Donald Trump is calling Jon Stewart a racist for doing his daily schtick about how goofy Cain and Perry are. is Cain going to be able to shake this off and move forward?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 2
Herman Cain-racism or sexual harrassment?
Posted: 11/2/2011 8:13:18 PM
Heck, even Rush is playing the race card here. It's funny just how hypocritical they are.

The guy isn't remotely credible as a candidate. His tax plan would spell fiscal disaster. He doesn't seem to know anything about any other issue. He says we have to make sure China doesn't get the Bomb....about 50 years too late.

But it's being a serial sexual predator that is bringing him down.
 BalderDog2
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/2/2011 8:20:24 PM
Perhaps he could shake off the Sexual harassment thing--his supporters are very forgiving.

I'm not sure he could shake this off:

Cain faces questions about campaign financing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/campaigns/republican-herman-cain-faces-questions-about-campaign-financing/2011/10/31/gIQAKrHIaM_story.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/03/us/politics/herman-cain-to-review-links-to-a-nonprofit.html

I don't believe a prison inmate has ever made a successful run for The President of the United States.

And as expected, the Koch Brothers have a hand in things.

You mention racism in your Thread's Title. I'm not seeing where racism comes into play here.
 daynadaze
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2011 8:35:10 PM
The guys a buffoon, who would vote for him? It's the GOP's pandering to offer up someone who is black to counteract a democrat president who happens to have had a black father. It's the same thing McCain did with Palin, pandering to women giving those who wanted to vote republican but wanted a woman in a high office, the GOPs answer to Hillary Clinton. I'm not even talking about a difference of opinion, Cain is a buffoon, why would anyone vote for him?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/2/2011 8:39:42 PM
It's far too simplistic to say that he's just a candidate because he's black. That's the same thing that was said about Obama.

He wants to be President. He started a campaign that resonated with people. He became one of the leading candidates. Then he faced the same scrutiny all serious candidates face, and was found wanting.

It happened to Gary Hart. It's happened to others. It's a long road to the White House, and you've got to step carefully all along that road - even before you're telling people that you're on it.
 vnufall
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/2/2011 9:02:10 PM
prosperity usa doesn't sound like a charity...lol those koch brothers indeed. cain was talking on fox news about the reason this was all brought up about his sexual harrassment problems, calling the race card on the dems....lol...and he said"no one from the right he didn't think was racist". i thought that sounded totally twisted to me...lol. donald trump was going off on jon steweart who was just doing his regular comedy schtick on how crazy herman cain and rick perry;s campaigns have become...trump was calling stewart racist...http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sTWFCeJg2CQ, and here's the jon stweart thing http://www.hulu.com/watch/295469/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-indecision-2012-ruh-roh-edition?from=fb_share....well for me i can't stop laughing at donald trump....the whole thing is nutz....
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2011 9:04:11 PM

The guy isn't remotely credible as a candidate. His tax plan would spell fiscal disaster. He doesn't seem to know anything about any other issue.

I 100% agree with you about Obama.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/2/2011 9:06:08 PM
I'm not voting for Cain,
so am not sticking up for him when I say it sounds like a swift boat hatchet job.

Get some rumor like that out there in conservative circles...
about a black male harassing women(perhaps even WHITE ones)....
and he's toast.

If I was a betting man I'd say that has Karl Rove's fingerprints all over it.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/2/2011 9:07:50 PM

I 100% agree with you about Obama.

Really? Let me take you back to the days of candidate Obama. He said he would go after Osama bin Laden even if he was found in Pakistan. Every right wing pundit and politician condemned him for uttering such a thing.

Skip ahead a few years. Seems like the candidate knew something that no one on the right did.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2011 10:43:36 PM
Yeah and that operation was 8 years in the making. Oh yeah wasn't he the same guy that said in my first act in office I'm going to close Guantanamo Bay? Gee what happened there.....
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2011 1:33:02 AM
Cain has not yet taken the basic action he needs to about the harassment charges, so they haven't gone away. They've actually gotten worse, because he's MISHANDLED them, denying them at first, then gradually admitting more and more.

Donald Trump long ago lost any influence over the race that he ever had, so HIS charges against Stewart are even MORE meaningless to the race. The fact that anyone DOES want to attack A COMEDIAN for laughing about a candidate, tells me that said candidate is in REAL trouble.

I agree with the SERIOUS advisors I've read, INCLUDING CARL ROVE, who said Cain needs to address this with the TRUTH, and fast. The longer he dithers, and plays coy, and hints that there is substance to it, the worse it gets.

But this is NOT his worst problem. His worst problem, is that he has been waffling on HIS OWN AGENDA. He has been caught during live interviews, contradicting himself on various subjects, directly contradicting his own statements, sometimes even within the same sentence he is uttering.

His primary sales pitch has been his "9-9-9" tax plan, which he himself can't even keep straight, switching between "9-9-9," and "9-0-9." Even if he HADN'T waffled on that, it was never going to last the full nomination run. It's a gimmick, and gimmicks only get a person initial interest. They have to follow that up with more comprehensive concepts and at least GENERAL plans to deal with the many issues that are ALWAYS a part of campaigning for President.

As for who might be responsible for the harassment stuff coming out, that doesn't matter if it turns out to be as true as it is now shaping up to. When the Swift Boat people attacked Kerry, it mattered because the charges were never substantiated . At least it WOULD have mattered, if Kerry hadn't been such a lunkhead about his response to them.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/3/2011 3:48:31 AM
i would gladly vote for a buffoon if i thought he'd uphold the constitution for a change. i mean come on. we keep voting for these lawyers and "constitutional scholars" and politically experienced people, and look how far that's gotten us.

that being said, i think Herman Cain has thoroughly destroyed his own credibility at this point. he can't even give a straight answer to his own bullshit. he should have taken a page out of the Clinton playbook... if you are going to bullshit people, absolute and unwavering consistency is key. plus if you are a politician and you want to destroy your own credibility, you have to wait until *after* you get elected.

Cain is through. shut up and sit down.
 timetogo3223
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/3/2011 4:50:17 AM
I think that playing from the Clinton playbook of "deny, deny, deny" and then lie, is what people are sick to death of. Clinton didn't get one of his many nicknames of the "Slickster" for nothing.

Many people look at the anal exam given any candidate for prez (except Obama), and they can identify, except if they are liberals/progressives who are above question, have never sinned, are totally honest, will run the most transparent administration in history, blah, blah, blah. How would you, Mr/Ms POF Poster like to get the same exam? Oh, I know, you're not running for prez. But if you had the spotlight on you you would not stumble? Oh, wait, I know, you're not running for prez. Only Obama can make mistakes in all 57 states and give money to his crony bundlers who just happen to be running green energy firms and not be questioned.

Face it, if this were a liberal man of color who was accused, he would be viewed as having "advanced" and "evolved" past the now outdated institution of marriage. He would be celebrated.

The problem with Cain and Rubio and other minorities and woman who hold a conservative viewpoint and have accomplished something in life, is that they did it without the white liberal overseers of the federal plantation "making" them who they are.

Cigars anyone?
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/3/2011 5:00:28 AM
^^^ i would think you'd have a point to make and the rhetoric is entertaining, except that it doesn't apply in this situation, IMO.

Cain has simply lost his credibility, mostly because he has handled this mud-slinging episode VERY badly.... . and what political campaign is not without mud-slinging? as a matter of fact, the dumbass should have ANTICIPATED it, and the fact that he isn't even astute enough to do that undermines his credibility even more in my estimation.

i wasn't suggesting that he should have denied the sexual harassment stuff; i WAS suggesting that he should have been consistent in his approach to dealing with the fallout. he is twisting in the wind and changing his story. he looks just like a man who has been caught with his pants down around his ankles. people don't act like that unless they don't know WTF they are doing. and WHY wouldn't he know WTF he is doing? could it be because he's either stupid... or guilty... or both? he says he doesn't remember. oh excuse me, he DOES remember, but he's very selective about how he does that. yet it doesn't explain why the story keeps changing.

i don't need to make a white liberal federal plantation rhetorical argument to make a simple statement of fact about Cain's credibility and incompetence. we can guess about how the reaction might have been more sympathetic if he were a bleeding heart liberal, but why would you even suggest that liberal standards and perceptions should apply to conservatives when you already know they are a completely different?

in the end, he went out on a branch and then sawed himself straight to the ground.

*THUD*
 timetogo3223
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/3/2011 6:17:43 AM

i don't need to make a white liberal federal plantation rhetorical argument to make a simple statement of fact about Cain's credibility and incompetence. we can guess about how the reaction might have been more sympathetic if he were a bleeding heart liberal, but why would you even suggest that liberal standards and perceptions should apply to conservatives when you already know they are a completely different?

I still allow for the human, I'm sorry. Maybe it comes from being in an underdog position many times in life. Could he have been more straightforward and less testy -- yes.

I agree with your point above that had he been, say, Jesse Jackson, the blow over would be quick because of different standards. Oh, wait. Jesse did do that thang with somebody, that old baby daddy him.

What is going to happen is that Romney is going to be the candidate, and that will either produce a third party candidate or cause the conservative base of the Elephants to stay home. Either way, I really believe -- and am frightened -- that Obama will be re-elected. I've lived in Chicago all my life; I've seen the thug politics that exist here an have ruined the city, fiscally, and have live under the dictatorship of one party, the *sses, where the motto is, "We Don't Want Nobody Nobody Sent". Romney is a smooth operator who is nothing more than a political go-along. If by some miracle he would win office, the decline of the country would only be slowed. He's a plantation guy when it comes down to it.

So Cain, the only one offering a "big picture" idea on the economy, will be trashed. He is the Clarence Thomas of the 2000's.

Regardless of how Cain has handled it I'm still waiting for some kind of really conclusive evidence. In today's world, a lamppost could be accused of sexual harrassment.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/3/2011 6:42:23 AM
It is my understanding that Cain settled with at least one of the women. To me, that is evidence of guilt. I don't care if he did it just to avoid a court case--when there is smoke such as this, there is fire.

When I watched Anita Hill give her evidence about Clarence Thomas, I believed her. I think Thomas' wife believed her, too, else she wouldn't have still been obsessing about it decades later.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/3/2011 10:22:03 AM
It's neither racism NOR sexual harassment, it's politics, American-style.
Twenty years ago?? Really , give me a break,,,
It's cool that there's a Black guy on the GOP side,, sure that's nice,, but HELLZBELLZ , damn, look at those numbers, we better DO SOMETHING !! We don't want HIM doing THAT GOOD !!
You know you're doing good when the attacks are unleashed, we've seen it before many times.
Hey, wasn't there a guy running for his first state office, and he was the underdog, so he eliminated his rivals not by votes, but by claiming that they cheated with phony votes? Oh, yeah, now I remember, that was our President, Barack Obama, that's how HE got his first state senate position.
Politics, ladies, and gents,,,
 timetogo3223
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/3/2011 11:21:02 AM
Gwen...

It is my understanding that Cain settled with at least one of the women. To me, that is evidence of guilt. I don't care if he did it just to avoid a court case--when there is smoke such as this, there is fire.

Smoke such as this? Why is this smoke different from any other allegation against a CEO or boss? Is it because if a woman alleges sexual harassment it must be true? Is this such pure smoke that there should be a dispensing of any court cases because a woman never lies?

Having this position will clear many court dockets. You're guilty because your a man and a woman never lies about sexual harassment. Done! Next case.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/3/2011 11:42:58 AM
Jacks - 1 years pay at 45K is peanuts,,, that's called "go away and shut up" money. Cain would probably have to pay his attorneys triple that to fight it, so why bother?
My own employer was sued several years ago and was ordered to pay 60 million. Ouch!
See the difference?
 matchlight
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2011 12:01:49 PM
But it's being a serial sexual predator that is bringing him down.

So far, we haven't seen a shred of evidence Mr. Cain did anything that was even inappropriate, even once--let alone that he did things which would make him a "sexual predator." That's a term usually reserved for rapists and child molesters. If he's not even remotely credible as a candidate, I wonder why you'd make such a vicious, baseless slur against him. Maybe his race has something to do with it, as it did with Clarence Thomas.
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/3/2011 12:46:04 PM

Maybe his race has something to do with it, as it did with Clarence Thomas.

I don't think it has to do with race. Once someone is accused of such crimes, they seemed to get labeled, regardless whether there is a shred of evidence or not. Even though the American Justice System is based on the principle that the accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty, people come to conclusions before anything is presented.

This goes double for anyone of high profile. Anyone who is frequently around or works with a candidate, can easily sink another persons political career by coming out and accusing them of a crime. By the time the truth comes to light, it is far too late the damage is done.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2011 2:03:25 PM
"Swiftboating?" Are you kidding. A woman was paid a years sevrance, $35,000 to settle the issue. WADR how could this possibly be "swiftboating" whatever the motive?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2011 2:19:50 PM
I'm trying o figure out what WADR stands for. The only thing I've found so far that fits is "West African Democracy Radio," and that doesn't seem to fit a discussion of a Republican candidate who might have been a jerk to females where he worked.

As for how the accusations against Cain (which he is already admitting are based on fact) could possibly be "swiftboating," I think they are NOT, in that "swiftboating" refers to unsubstantiated accusations, and these are not. But they certainly ARE likely to have been put forward by Cain's primary opponents, and NOT by Democrats, and they certainly DO have the same intent as the swiftboat attacks had: to drive him out of the campaign.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/3/2011 2:46:46 PM

Jacks - 1 years pay at 45K is peanuts,,, that's called "go away and shut up" money. Cain would probably have to pay his attorneys triple that to fight it, so why bother?

Why bother? Because years later when you decide to run for president, the fact that "hush money" was paid out will come back to haunt you.
 matchlight
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2011 3:43:28 PM
I don't know every last detail about all this, but does anyone know that Cain had any authority to decide to settle? If he'd recused himself, he might not have been a party to the agreement--it could very well have been between the restaurant association and the woman who complained.

The way these sexual harassment laws work creates a moral hazard. I don't have any idea what happened with Cain. But what's to stop a dishonest employee from trumping up a false charge against some other employee as a way to extort money from the employer? When companies can't resolve a disputed harassment claim informally between the parties, they usually try to settle rather than end up in court. It costs them far less, not just in money but in reputation and business good will.

It's possible for a person never to have said or done anything, and yet have someone falsely accuse them of sexual harassment. There's no evidence to support the accusation, so it wouldn't hold up in court. But it doesn't have to, because it will never go to court. The company instead pays the extortionist to go away, usually in exchange for their agreement not to reveal the settlement. And yet the record of the accusation and the settlement of it still exists. The employee who was accused couldn't force the employer--who would pay if it lost--to take the claim to court, so he's stuck.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Herman Cain-racism or sexual harrassment?