Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Remove the "Do you have a car?" question      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 2magnetic
Msg: 1
Remove the "Do you have a car?" questionPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I would like to see the "Do you have a car?" question removed. My first reaction to seeing it when I joined the site and every subsequent reaction is the same - it makes me cringe and wonder what kind of people are using this site? I don't see this question as relevant to a dating site.
 vnufall
Msg: 2
Remove the Do you have a car? question
Posted: 11/5/2011 8:33:08 AM
i talked to a guy this week, that had a car but couldn't drive. i won't go into why (you can guess) and you will probably be right. anyway it did effect how i dealt with him. no car, can't drive....not for me....lol.
 XShark
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/5/2011 11:14:03 AM
I agree ....It is relevant. It tends to lead toward a responsible person. It means I'm not going to be a taxi service if the relationship gets going.
 ChrisDuke
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/30/2011 9:45:25 AM
Those who find this question irrelevant obviously don't have cars.

I love when people put "N/A" in response to this question...LOL! It's a yes or no question, and it is applicable whether or not you want to think so.
 Unguided Tourist
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/30/2011 9:59:00 AM
I agree with the poster above; it should be a YES or NO question. In fact, if the site insists on having some of these questions relevant then eliminate N/A from every one of them.
 ontario_woman
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2011 10:08:50 AM

It tends to lead toward a responsible person.

There are legitimate reasons why whether or not a person has a car, but I take offense to this statement. I don't have a car. I am not irresponsible. I've successfully juggled working full-time, being a single mother and my studies for a number of years now. The main reason I don't have a car is because I can get around quite well with public transportation. Cars are expensive and I would rather spend my money on something else...

As far as needing a taxi service, the only time that I expect the man I am dating to drive me around is when we are out on a date. I get around quite well the rest of the time on my own.
 1600midnightstar
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/30/2011 6:22:31 PM
I'm quite sure there are numerous large city dwellers who don't own a car, and possibly don't have a driver's license either if they never needed one because of public transportation.
Having said that, perhaps the better question could be "Are you capable and legally able to operate a motor vehicle?"
 RockinRollMan
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/30/2011 7:33:10 PM
I have concluded that having a car does not make or break the chances of you getting messages from members on this site, that much is for sure. I got a car 2 weeks ago and updated my profile, I have yet to see an increase in the number of messages I get so really whether or not you have a car does not change other members odds of them wanting to date you.

Never understood why teenagers were in such a rush to get their own cars to be honest, I am 25 and just got my own, to me it isn't that big of a deal.

And the question is relevant for distance dating, you wouldn't want to be chatting with someone who doesn't have a car if you don't have a car then all of a sudden you decide you want to meet a person but realize you can't because you don't have a car, unless you want to take a bus to another city.
 CrimsonRealityXRS
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/1/2011 3:24:47 PM
I like to know if the guy I am interested in has a car. I don't want to be the one doing all of the driving and putting all of the miles/wear and tear on my vehicle.
 87Wpg
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/1/2011 11:44:23 PM
The question is relevant for some, I'd hate to be judged on the fact that I don't own a vehicle right now.

There are plenty of valid reasons, for having no wheels being a student is one of them.
 grindblast
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/2/2011 7:00:33 AM
Ya I don't like that question either, why don't they add 'do you own a house' or something along those pretentious lines. If a vehicle is holding you back from pursuing someone, then you don't really want to meet that person.

And the education question is also very pretentious. I've encountered women that have denied me based on my lack of masters degree... haha! What is this world coming to. A degree isn't a clear-cut sign of intelligence or interesting personality and it definitely doesn't guarantee a high quality life or high-earnings. In fact most of my friends with masters or even a basic degree are so swamped in debt and can't find any jobs because their field is over-saturated, and they didn't realized that it would be so difficult.

And annual earnings is also pretentious... Wow, this site is really shallow when I think of it.
What are you worth? Do you have a car? What kind of degree do you hold? What religion are you?

I really can't think any more pretentious or shallow questions to ask someone. They should add I.Q, Racial lineage, Body dimensions, Political views... Why can't people make up their own profiles and decide what information they would like to divulge? It isn't any ones concern how much money I make etc besides my own, these questions are intrusive.
 TuffGuy666
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/2/2011 7:06:43 AM
"I would like to see the "Do you have a car?" question removed."

Why don't you just ignore it?

This is a bizarre thing to be concerned about.
 egowitch
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/3/2011 9:15:47 AM
I for one , wouldn't want to see this question removed. It has definite relevance !

I've been contacted by three (!) individuals, that do not have a car.

One, a DUI (no thanks). Another some vision problems - who lives with his brother and family, and the third - can't afford one.

And yes , they all expected to be picked up and driven around ( and none were close by!).

You can bet , I sure want to know this beforehand !! Not my thing.
 RockinRollMan
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/4/2011 4:50:44 PM
Even on my measly 12 dollars an hour I can afford a car, anyone claiming they can't must work for minimum wage. Mind you I don't own my own place but seeing as how I pay rent and my own medical expenses as well, I don't see how people can't afford cars these days unless they work for minimum wage or they are unemployed.
 Schrödingers_Dog
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2011 7:53:35 PM
Knowing whether or not someone has a car is very relevant. It might not matter much to someone living in, say, New York City or somewhere with great mass transit but I, frankly, wouldn't be interested in a woman who doesn't have her own reliable transportation.

While it isn't proof of anything, it is indicative of their levels of responsibility and independence. Where I live, I can assume that a woman who has a car is gainfully employed. If she has children, I can safely assume that she is responsible enough to get her kids around (and not need a man for a taxi). Generalizations, yes, but....
 Xc0de
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/5/2011 8:12:22 PM

Even on my measly 12 dollars an hour I can afford a car, anyone claiming they can't must work for minimum wage. Mind you I don't own my own place but seeing as how I pay rent and my own medical expenses as well, I don't see how people can't afford cars these days unless they work for minimum wage or they are unemployed.

Try living in Toronto where rent is at least $900.
 ohenryx
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2011 12:43:47 PM
I always thought the question was completely irrelevant, and I just ignore the answers. I have a car, and if a woman doesn't, then I will pick her up. Although I don't recall ever dating anyone who didn't have a car. Well, not since high school.

Several people in this thread have suggested that those living in a large city might not need a car. My personal understanding is that this is only true in New York City. I live in Houston (3rd largest metropolitan area, 4th largest city), and you damned well better have a car. I know the same is true for Los Angeles (2nd largest city).
 Spotify312
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/11/2011 8:55:12 AM
I live in Chicago, where owning a car is not only a huge expense, but a huge inconvenience. Parking is a nightmare, and the city is hell-bent on finding ways to nickle and dime you to death on owning one through sticker fees, parking tickets and fees, and the highest gas prices in the country. I sold my car before moving here, because everyone told me I wouldn't need it, and they were right. I get around just fine thanks to the CTA, and have a lot of extra money in my pocket each month that my car owning friends do not...
 Schrödingers_Dog
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2011 9:03:08 AM
But you're likely to be meeting other residents of Chicago where they will also not have/need cars. In general, most of your locals won't care about that question but, in the vast majority of areas, owning a car is important to one's social life.
 911love
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/11/2011 7:11:54 PM
I think its funny! I love saying, "well at least you have a car!"
 Xc0de
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/12/2011 1:53:33 AM
Parking is a nightmare, and the city is hell-bent on finding ways to nickle and dime you to death on owning one through sticker fees, parking tickets and fees, and the highest gas prices in the country. I sold my car before moving here, because everyone told me I wouldn't need it, and they were right.

In Toronto parking is expensive. Yeah they nickle and dime you to death here too. Some Canadian cities are considering charging carbon tax. lol Seriously try driving during rush hour in Toronto. It's a nightmare, I rather take public transportation or ride my bike.
 johnnyequalsawesome
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/18/2012 11:30:42 AM
I find this question quite relevant(not that it really matters anymore since I'm departing PoF for service that doesn't pull a bait and switch on its users).

I don't really find it too appealing that I'd have to be the one doing all the driving, picking them up and dropping them off every time we were to go on a date, etc. Not only is it not my responsibility to do so, but I'm also not willing to foot that bill(gas, wear on car, etc) on top of every other bill I'm already paying because I'm the guy and it's expected of me. No thanks.
 cynful46
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 12:10:21 PM
It's VERY relevant to me. I live outside of town 18 miles and if the guy doesn't have a car, what's the point in even contacting each other ? Im not doing all the driving.
 bethesdafoodie
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/18/2012 12:58:40 PM
I live in a city, and while my rent is ridiculous, the fact that I can drink and walk home and the inevitable gas price bumps make me happy as hell to not have a car.

My transportation bill is $0 a month.

In the event I ever need to go anywhere further I can just get a cab or plane ticket and I still come out ahead.

Car and gas companies are preventing humans from truly advancing in technological leaps and bounds as long as we live paycheck to paycheck and have to constantly maintain vehicles.

For those that live in the middle of nowhere, that's the price you pay for not wanting to live somewhere that has a working public transportation system.

I'm perfectly capable of getting around and I'd love an option that isn't N/A or no, N/A is so vague and no makes me sound like a deadbeat that can't afford one, I could easily afford a Lambo if I wanted, but I just don't appreciate cars like most people do.

I've spent more on computers and home entertainment systems than some people will ever spend on a car.

Why is there no question about Whether or not we have banging home entertainment systems?
 TheLongSpring
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/18/2012 1:07:26 PM
OP, would you date someone who didn't have a car?

Would you drive to meet a guy and pick him up for date?

just sayin
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Remove the "Do you have a car?" question