Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Job/career question      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 3
Job/career questionPage 1 of 1    
I want someone who really enjoys what he does.

Do you enjoy what you do?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 5
Job/career question
Posted: 11/5/2011 5:16:48 PM
There are three general rules for me when it comes to what a guy does:

He has to enjoy the work, or at least not hate every minute of it. If he's in a field he doesn't like to stay afloat or working two or three jobs and planning on looking for something he does like, I get that - we all have to do it. But if he's in a job he's absolutely miserable with and has no intention of ever leaving it, chances are I'll be the one who has to hear him complain about it all the time. No thanks.

He has to be able to live within his means. I pay my bills, so I want someone I date to do the same if possible. If he makes 25k a year, but is happy with that and can pay his bills with it, then I'm fine with it.

It can't be illegal or something that actually hurts others.

Those are my basics about guys and their jobs. When I ask about what you do, I'm asking because you spend a good amount of your time doing it and that's part of who you are, so I want to know about the actual job.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 12
Job/career question
Posted: 11/6/2011 5:21:45 AM

For me, it doesn't matter what a guy does as long as he's doing something that pays his own bills and keeps him busy between 8-5 so he's not bothering me on the phone all day whining while I'm trying to work.

Agree with this, work as much as I do or a little more so I can do what I need to do and not have to entertain you. Add the three nights a week I have school and the two nights on the weekend I work my second job.
 Walts
Msg: 14
Job/career question
Posted: 11/6/2011 5:48:15 AM
Some believe a "career" is important, and others do not. Personally, I could give a rat's bum if it's a "career", a "job", or a "time filler" as long as the person has a passion for what they are "doing". I enjoy "doers", instead of those that just follow what others feel is the "right" way concerning how they survive in this retarded(look the word up,it's in Webster's) society of ours.
 ohenryx
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Job/career question
Posted: 11/6/2011 7:54:33 AM

twelfth_dimension:
So men have dreams, and women have "agendas"? I guess you assume that women are much more shallow, simple creatures that could not possibly pursue something so lofty as a dream, right? After all, we are dream killers, not dreamers.

Don’t be too hard on UncleZeus. He serves a useful purpose here, often saying things that need to be said, but others are afraid to say. Yes, he tends to over-simplify, but sometimes over-simplifying is the best way to bring out the underlying truth.

This is why men come on here and constantly complain that all women are shallow gold diggers with nothing to offer. They actively seek out such women, not the one who stood by you while you worked your way through medical school, but the mindless bimbo who was only attracted to your prestige as a doctor. Brilliant. You get what you ask for. You've managed to objectify women to such an extent that you're left with just that, an object, not a person.

Three of my friends made it through medical school, two of them were helped immensely by a woman whom they dumped after achieving success. Do I approve? No. But is it factual? Yes.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Job/career question
Posted: 11/6/2011 8:26:40 AM
I haven't been here as long as Cowboy, but I HAVE seen a few women's profiles saying something LIKE this. What I see most commonly, is that they want a professional man, and not just someone with a job. I take that to be code for the classic things like lawyer, doctor, or CEO. In short, looking for more money than I make.

I have no problem with it, and no criticism. I'm thankful as I am for all such declarations that allow me to avoid wasting my time or theirs.
 TheCoolGreenMoss
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Job/career question
Posted: 11/6/2011 8:35:46 AM
I've seen it as well - or similar. Wanting someone career-minded is understandable to a degree - if both parties are.

It is when the other person (the woman, in my case) isn't/doesn't but still has it on her list of needs/wants, that it gets tiresome/bothersome.

Those are avoided at all costs (no matter what else may be desirable about them.) These types of 'demands' are very telling about one's personality (IMO.)
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Job/career question