Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Personal trainer, do they work?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mrmisterme
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Personal trainer, do they work?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)

Any input in regard to personal trainer? Is it just money thrown out of the window?

A personal trainer will be good at the beginning, just so that you can figure out a routine.

What you should consider is a training partner. That person will motivate you, spot you and you can return the favour.
 flora2011
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Personal trainer, do they work?
Posted: 11/7/2011 9:03:32 PM
I am mself a personal trainer and highly recommend even getting a one session if money is the issue so you can learn the proper technique and see the improvement.
Hope this help.
goodluck!

flora:)
 mrmisterme
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2011 11:21:51 AM

Stupid question but how does one find a training partner? Especially considering i am new in town and dont really know many peeps...

Ask one of your peeps to buddy up with you at the weight room.....or you can ask at the gym if someone needs (or would like) a partner.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2011 2:31:05 PM

I am mself a personal trainer and highly recommend even getting a one session if money is the issue so you can learn the proper technique and see the improvement.
Hope this help.
goodluck!
I would go even further to recommend that you periodically consult with that trainer to ensure you're not picking up bad habits and to enlarge your exercise routine to a higher level. At the very least, quarterly for a session or two... if not more often.

I have a few friends that absolutely swear by their trainers.
 SimpleMan_388
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/9/2011 5:22:22 PM
Diet is big.
Working out can be FUN. I went out today, ran 7km, threw in some body weight exercises every couple hundred meters, and within 40 minutes my workout was done, and it was a good one.

Crossfit is a blast, and is also a short work out but it is something you need to build up to.

Spin class... It sounds a bit girly, but do it! and crank up the tension, keep the legs moving and once that hour is over, you'll see just how "girly" it is... It's actually my favourite for cardio. It's easy on the knees (takes a few sessions for your butt to get used to the saddle) and you're surrounded by a group of people sweating and peddaling their butts off, it will keep you motivated. Plus, if you sign up for the class ahead of time, you're more likely to make yourself go.

Weights, are good. Done right it builds muscle. That muscle in turn needs constant energy. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism and the faster you will lose weight.

Finding work out buddies is a huge benefit as well.

Find activities outside of the gym that are physically demanding that you enjoy. You won't even realize you're working out! I race motocross on a serious level, and I actually end up working out harder on my race weekends than I do through the week at the gym, and I've had such a good time doing it, that it doesn't feel like a work out.

Diet Diet Diet... It's HUGE. And is my struggle due to my crazy life schedule. Just eating healthy, while good and might be an improvement over your old way of eating might not just be enough. Some people do just hold on to their body weight more than others. I would say I eat pretty healthy most of the time. Not a pop drinker, only eat fast food if it's my only choice, and since I eat at the mess hall, I make sure to stay away from the bad stuff. The last "cheat" food I had was on the weekend since it was my birthday. Before that, it had been a few weeks and after a while you don't really miss it.
Cutting out all carbs isn't necessarily a good thing. Without carbs, you don't have that immediate power source of energy. So when you hit the gym you won't have that power in your body to do what it really could be capable of. Just take in what you need, and no more. A diet such as atkins is NOT good for an athlete.

Above all, be happy with what you can do, and improve on your performance instead of just the body image as that will follow with your new lifestyle. I'm not a "naturally" slim dude. I'm in the military so I work out a lot, and I'm usually in the top few guys at work during our PT sessions, my body type is just the big framed type, and that's ok too :)
 SimpleMan_388
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/13/2011 10:39:44 AM
I've seen that chick that does the workouts for bodyrock on youtube... Thats enough motivation right there to get in shape!
 Bugzy007
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2011 5:58:47 PM
i actually am a trainer doesnt look like it but i went to school and i have the know how but not the body for it lol but i still practice wat i prach .. and personal trainers are legit just look for one with real certifications not can fit its just a weekend course i took a two year college progrm and obtained an internationally known certification so
 aGent Lemon
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2012 5:50:57 AM
Depending on how much you're willing to spend... there's also bio-feedback training equiptment where you can even directly breathe in pure oxygen as been proven to be the choice of perhaps all leading athletes. The sensors will let yuu know how to pace yourself, but it still might "also" be recommended to have a personal trainer. Often having to read the results afterwards is what gets people feeling more motivated from what I understand. Plus, despite the initial sight of how much it'll cost... it might be saving you a whole lot more money to achieve your goal... as for example, in a matter of 3 weeks as opposed to half a year or however much longer as the other venues might be way more of a gamble.

There are many great points that were made, however more on the downside-up... some trainers even with the most credentials might not be able to get each person to reach their goals not matter how much motivation they both have, which doesn't mean to give up, but perhaps find a different trainer as I've heard has done justice for a few people.

Motivation itself is mainly about knowing in your heart how much happier you will feel to get what you desire... sometimes knowing you're getting much closer to getting what you want to get... sometimes about feeling great while you're making the effort even if you're not noticing any results for a very long while, because at least you're having fun while not quite in a rush to get that desired result... and although that's a quote coming from an expert in that field, it's seem to be enough of a definition to keep lots of people quite motivated.

Now get on the ballllll, go go go !!!!!! Haha
 aGent Lemon
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2012 12:20:00 PM
Oops... *NOT coming from an expert in that field. Just got informed that a few minor typos were made in my effort to write almost each comment within a 15 minute mark.
 MJ Preston
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2012 5:33:11 PM
no...it all has to do with drive. you want a thing....you will get a thing. personal trainers drain the bank account...period. you have to want to change your body with exercise and diet ...f0r your own personal reasons and goals. good luck.
 aGent Lemon
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2012 7:21:08 PM
no...it all has to do with drive. you want a thing....you will get a thing.

Although best-selling books has made such a statement, the reality is... not everybody who can stay motivated will have a career in the field they desire as there might be some limitations like many thousands of people wanting to be recruited in a team sport representing their country where as only 30 people at most can be chosen.

As a saying goes... the best effort most will put forth, will not be enough to succeed "into" what they want to do.

Many have said it's easy to give up, however... I believe it can be the most difficult if the heart of the person is set on making quite the accomplishment, but in not knowing exactly when to quit... many people have even pushed themselves way over the brink into major disasters wanting to become famous as they have risked it all, hence... were overconfident.
 Rain.
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/27/2012 10:21:23 AM
lol yes they do work its all about you wanting change ....or you could just use old pictures to pass off as yourself ...right muffin top ?
 aGent Lemon
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2012 1:51:30 PM
Wow... what's with the need to be insulting, even though I don't know what it means to be a muffin top nor does it matter I'm quite sure, lol. So, basically... in your opinion... "everybody" can even dance equal to or better than the world leading competitors according to your sense of logic. Of course, it's definately worth a try to see what can be feasible, however... it is a fact that a whole lot of people has much later on competely burned themselves out to no return thinking that they should try harder then are extremely frustrated about how they "apparently" wasted over ten years of, perhaps, various personalized training.

Then again... maybe this world is quite similar to the movie Matrix where limits are primarily a subconcious definition... not that I said this as to be offensive in any way or anything else for that matter.

Rain.
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/27/2012 2:42:16 PM
wasnt ment for you agent L ...was ment for my forum stalker =] and personal trainers are there to inspire you to make you work harder and make sure your not gonna hurt yourself by doing something the wrong way.They arent for everyone but if your dedicated to getting yourself in shape they are worth the investment
 Greanize
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/27/2012 5:58:17 PM
I have lost 83 lbs in the last 13 months and I never used a personal trainer. I stuck to the diet that has been monitored by a doctor, and stayed true to me.
You can work out til your brains bleed and cut back on calories all you want, but you are NOT going to loose weight until YOU are in the right place in your life and you are doing it for the right reasons....yourself!
 Greanize
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/28/2012 10:44:56 AM
You are right Kel...if it makes the person feel good and keeps their self esteem high, then it works.
But if someone is going to sink money into a personal trainer or any program, they have to do it for the right reasons, and stick to the program.
After a work out, going out for beer and wings with the gang is not justifiable if you are saying ... I already worked that off! Or ordering a pizza and pigging out because you know 'Tyrell' is going to work your a$$ off the next day.
 aGent Lemon
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2012 3:07:01 PM
No offense taken, Rain. I completely forgot how it looks like most of the ladies are in love you according to what they have written in these forums, haha! Wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to do several hours of a raindance daily routine to get even a little drizzle from you... especially believing they can always get what they want...

Yep... that's the spirit!
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Personal trainer, do they work?