Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in car      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in carPage 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Ok, I know for a fact that I am old school, but here is something I do not get. For about the 2000th time today, I watched a woman pump gas while her boyfriend sat on his butt in the passenger seat. I have also watched women go into a convience store and pick up pork rinds and mountain dew for her boyfriend sitting in the car. What is up with this? What happened to chivalry? Maybe I am just outdated at 49 but I have never sat in the car and had a woman pump gas, no matter if she was driving, or go in the store and buy me snacks. What is going on here?
 Paradoxx
Msg: 2
Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in car
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:23:12 PM
I don't get this...why can't a woman pump gas? It is not a dirty endeavor...nor does it work better when it is pumped by a man :) It's nice for a man to offer, but I would never feel slighted if he didn't.

If it was HIS car, and he ordered me pump his gas...well that's different. I would probably be laughing too hard to insert the nozzle.
 Paradoxx
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:32:21 PM
god did not design me to be a nozzle inserter to a man
...I would laugh at the phallic irony of it all
(I would NEVER laugh at a man's nozzle!)
 Paradoxx
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:36:15 PM
^^^ silly crayon
 Paradoxx
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:45:12 PM
^^^^ What a clever moose you are!

Those men are usually slouched down with the seat reclined, now I know why.
 Paradoxx
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/22/2005 10:02:25 PM
^^^ That's funny
 RDtoo
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2005 11:19:14 PM
I'm with gradleguy. There are just certain things that seem respectful to do. There is nothing wrong with a woman pumping her own gas, but I am seeing it happen far too often. It dosen't surprise me that women do not object to this as last Halloween one of the more popular costumes for women was dressing up like a "ho". The women in 1971 (the height of the feminest movement) would have never put up with garbage women put up with now. No wonder I am still single. I was raised to be a gentlemen. I guess it is out of fashion now.
 RDtoo
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2005 11:46:02 PM
The connection is that maybe these women are lacking self-respect. Like I said, I am old school. I like women who act like ladies.
 viceguy2
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/23/2005 6:10:55 AM
Bang on to the culture and upbringing post.. but also common courtesy and respect Woman deserve more of it than they're getting..I'll be 85 with a walker and oxygen and I will be pumping the gas for my woman no matter how long it takes me or how big the risk of blowing the whole station up is....

I'm belittling her.

Dont over analyze or be lazy..be a man..get up and do it...Ive never had a woman feel belittled by it or unappreciative of the gesture...Its like holding a door open for her..has anyone ever been told off for doing that because she felt belittled??? Nonsense.
 seasons in the abyss
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2005 7:41:28 AM
it was just the way i was brought up to get off my ass and do things for a woman. if its 95 outside or 20 below zero, i'll get out the car to pump gas, or run into the store to get something quick, I'll do little shit to try and be considerate yah know without me even realizing it probably.

With my mom the way she was, and the attitude of "i can do anything just as well as a man could" i know all to well that women are not inferior, or incapable, or whatever bs holding a door open is supposed to suggest about the women vs men debate. Thats just how she just raised us that way to respect women and not be a chump. If yah got a problem with that, i'll sick my mom on you and she'll whoop yah.
 viceguy2
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/23/2005 8:01:48 AM

Hey, you women, wanted equal rights and independence. It is hard for us to use chivalry today. When we do use it , were told by women, they can do it themselves. How do you know if the woman, hadn't said stay in the car. I'll do it.
I was in a mall an opened a door for a lady whose hands were full of bags. I was told to F.off and that she could do it herself.
I would have done the same thing for a man.
Ladies you have made dating etiquette confusing for us.

No..just for you..that unappreciative individual does not represent the majority of women who would be grateful..nor does it cloud judgement on dating etiquette..
 angelsdoexist
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/23/2005 9:09:19 AM
thats wrong! I mean I'am an easy going gurl I will do anything for my man...but! there are somethings that the man should take up the slack for...pumping gas is a mans job if they are wit the gurl at the time...I'am an independent gurl & I do alot of things by myself cause I can...pump my gas ~ change a tire ~ do a tune up ~ wash my car...but if the man offers or we are driving together that is the mans job...hes the man ~ he has to be the man ~ so things like that he should do...I live alone so I do alot of things myself & for myself....but I have no problem "sometimes" allowing a man to help..but truthly I love doing it myself....sometimes it bothers me even asking for help...but somethings guys just shouldnt ask they should just do it & be nice about it...yes chivalry is dead but there are a few keepers out there its just finding the diamonds in a bag of coals....
 RDtoo
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2005 12:18:27 PM
Yes, I suppose the guy sitting could have been coming from the hospital, but it is doubtful. I see this same scenario almost every day and the it always involves a couple that looks like they are in their early 20s. I have never seen this happen with people over 30.

Ladies, we know you are capable of doing things for yourself. This thread was started to question male behavior not female behavior. Like some said, even if she insisted on doing it he could at least clean the windows or something.
 CountIbli
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/23/2005 12:20:23 PM
Men and women are supposed to be equals now. Let them pump their own freakin' gas.
 RDtoo
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2005 5:00:21 PM
Yes, I think alot of men have that attitude. Personally, I don't care how society has changed, I am not going to let that determine the way that I choose to behave.
 funcandyus
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/23/2005 6:19:59 PM
The reason I had to pump the gas and my ex was sitting in the passenger seat was because he has spent years in prison. He didn't know what to do. I told him to watch what I did a couple of times until he felt comfortable doing it on his own. You never know the reason why they are sitting in the passenger seat. Not to say that all men that don't pump gas are just released from prison. I know that there are some lazy men out there. It could be that they have a broke leg/ankle/foot. You just never know.
 Hotchiq
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/23/2005 6:33:32 PM
I've had that happen to me once. i drove out to aldergrove to pick up my now exbf and when i was filling up the truck, he sits in the truck and said to me " well this is the one thing that I will let you to pay for".

lauren
 Zaphod78
Msg: 18
Easy on the judgments folks............
Posted: 7/23/2005 7:18:17 PM
Hey, here's my first officail POF forum post. I just wanted to echo what some have allready said here, you have no idea what's happening in those situations, I have people pump my gass all the time, and yes sometimes that includes a gf, I'm a paraplegic and can't get out of my vehicle when it's parked close enough to the pumps to fill ;) I'd really hate to think somebody is sitting somewhere judging me to be lazy whenever that happens.
 RDtoo
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2005 9:02:25 PM
Gotapulse, with your attitude I am sure you do very well with the ladies. Seriously.
 astrosky
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2005 9:53:44 PM
If you see me pumping the gas while my adult son sits inside on his fanny its because he's such an airhead he loses my gas cap almost every time he puts gas in my vehicle and I'm sick of it so I do it myself. (Yeah, passive aggression has won again, oh well).

Personally I like it when a guy pumps it for me. I'm a clumsy oaf who is likely to get dirty brushing up against something, or get gas on my hand, etc. Its kind of like having a guy take out the garbage. Just a potentially messy job that when done by a guy for a lady, makes her feel taken care of. Like he feels when she changes a baby's diaper or does the dishes - "whew, how cool I didn't have to do it, what a sweetheart, owe 'em one".

I also agree with the notion of splitting it up - one person pays & gets munchies while the other pumps.
 astrosky
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2005 10:23:21 PM
gradleguy - yeah, just because a person can do something themselves doesn't mean they don't like a little TLC sometimes. It brings balance to a relationship when people do nice little things for each other, not because they have to, because they want to make them feel special.
 RDtoo
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2005 11:46:29 PM
Why are you so obsessed with this? And where did anyone say that they saw this happen 2000 times a day?
 RDtoo
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2005 11:49:15 AM
Ok, let me break this down for you. I didn't mean I see this happen 2000 times a day. I guess I should have said "today, for about the 2000th time I saw..."

Anyways what is your question? You asked a few of them. No, I don't live by a gas station. Yes, I do notice people and what goes on around me. Guess I am different from you in that aspect. What else do you want to know?
 RDtoo
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2005 3:32:05 PM
If she insisted on pumping the gas what would I do? I suppose I would let her to avoid conflict but I sure as heck would not sit on my butt in the car while she was doing it. I would be doing something useful.
 singledad13b
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/24/2005 4:46:19 PM
WELL HE WAS NOT A HUSBAND HE WAS AN ASS

I ALWAYS CARRIED IN THE GROCERIES

I ALWAYS WENT SHOPPING WITH HER

AND I ALWAYS DID WHAT A MAN IS TO DO

CUT THE GRASS PUMP THE GAS

HELP WITH DISHES

AND NOT SAY NO ( THAT IS WHEN SHE WANTED IT)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in car