Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Anyone else unable to find a job?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Double Cabin
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Anyone else unable to find a job?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Ever think of relocating? I'm guessing sociology majors are a dime a dozen in our most populous state. Also, are yuo appleying for jobs you're not highly qualified for? Perhaps you need to develop far more realistic expectations. You're 21, time to come to terms with the fact you have to start at the bottom of anything.
 Aries_328
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Anyone else unable to find a job?
Posted: 11/10/2011 12:10:44 PM
Really sorry. You’re in Californian and our state government doesn't want you to work.

It's been a really long time for me since I've been in that position but it could literally happen at any time. What I did and will likely have to do again is to get out in the streets and find where you want to go.

When I was looking for my first job in the computer industry I literally got the phonebook out and wrote down every business in my area that seemed remotely related to computers. I then started showing up at their door asking. I got my first job at a small Internet Service Provider this way. I walked in the door and was pretty much hired on the spot because I had a specific skill they happened to need at that moment. I've been in the industry for almost 15 years now because of that.

It's much harder for me now and my best shots are friends and people that I have worked with over the years. Also, recruiters are really really annoying but they will get you something.

Good luck.
 viper1j
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/10/2011 1:04:01 PM
I have applied everywhere and won't even get a call back. I've spent hundreds of hours looking the Net and can't find a thing.

I was in the exact same position as you 11 years ago, when I relocated to a new state.

When nobody would hire me, I maxed my credit cards, emptied my savings account, and hired myself. I started my own business and I never looked back.

I'm also much happier for the choice.

I liked the company so much, I own it.

You're still young. Go to trade school. A good welder or electrician can make 6 figures.

My son in law, is an underwater welder in the Navy. He still has 3 years left on his contract, and has 14 job offers for when he gets out.
 raxarsr
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2011 1:05:37 PM
no offence op...............but your chosen field of study is.......well.......not exactly in demand........[at least from what i understand it to be]...........................there are many many college grads who have degrees in things that have no value what so ever to the work force

i recall watching a special about the occupy wall street movement...one very loud and obnoxious protested was demanding that the government dismiss his 8 yrs worth of student loans.......when asked what he held a degree in........[this is the unbeleveable part]............he replied "18th century french literature"...........WTF?????????....seriously?...........how many jobs....world wide.....need a mastery in 18th century french lit?

look around op...............see what types of jobs are out there.........and dont think you need to start at a "comfortable living" wage...........if your monthly bills are $2000..................then any job.....ANY job that pays you $2250 a month give you some savings and a night out occasionally
 want to travel
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2011 1:16:03 PM
My relative who lives in CALI, LA, he was ceo of a small credit union, for 20 years
during the bail out, one of the poor big banks , bought his credit union, he was made redundant
he has not found work in his field ever since,he is open to re location, but..... things are bad
 BalderDog2
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/10/2011 1:24:58 PM

i recall watching a special about the occupy wall street movement...one very loud and obnoxious protested was demanding that the government dismiss his 8 yrs worth of student loans.......when asked what he held a degree in........[this is the unbeleveable part]............he replied "18th century french literature"...........WTF?????????....seriously?...........how many jobs....world wide.....need a mastery in 18th century french lit?

I would like to watch that special. What station was it on? What was the name of the special? When was it on? With this information I should be able to find it online. Thanks.
 JLarsson
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2011 1:25:15 PM
my nephew but it's most likely due to the large amount of pot he smokes. Now how he's getting the pot??? There is a mystery. 10 percent of the US plus is out of work and that's only the people that want to work. GL.
 getanet
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/10/2011 2:51:25 PM

I used to work as a pipe-layer. $25 an hour, plus benefits. Now all those jobs go to Mexicans, while kids like you go to college to get brainwashed with leftist propaganda.

Something to think about when you're flipping burgers for $6 an hour.

Remember. Illegal means criminal.

Wait...you just told him to go to trade school a few posts ago? Make up yer mind...
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/10/2011 3:33:25 PM

After working at Walmart for two years, I decided to return to school to get an MA. I majored in British Lit although I knew that my opportunities to actually use it a job--outside of teaching--were slim.

I teach part-time as a college adjunct. I greatly enjoy my job and it pays enough to live on and save some.

OP, times are rough right now, but what do you WANT to do? If it involves a career with your degree, then you stick in there. However, if you have a BA, that is now equivalent to a high school degree. A GPA is only good for getting you into other schools, not getting you a job. (I had a 4.00 in grad school: no one cares.)

Yup, you can go to trade school, but as an instructor said about the culinary program at the school where I teach, we are turning out educated flippers of burgers at McD's. Life is TOO short to spend half of it working at a job that you will detest.

In the meantime, take any job.
 SoBayNative
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/10/2011 4:12:09 PM
Why not get your MA in Social Work at Cal State? There are social work jobs with private agencies and Children's Services is always hiring if you can stomach the work. Your profile says "high school" so are you a troll? And if you're an OG for real then your tats will keep you from any real jobs....
 timetogo3223
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/10/2011 4:12:56 PM
giraffeneck..

I graduated with a degree in Sociology this past June with a freaking 3.77 and have to live with my parents right now. It really really sucks. I have applied everywhere and won't even get a call back. I've spent hundreds of hours looking the Net and can't find a thing.

Create your own job.

When I graduated it was the during the first Obama administration. Jimmy Carter was prez. Now given that Obama makes Carter look like George Washington, there is still opportunity out there. I started a business with a fellow unemployed grad, and I learned more from that biz than I ever learned in any school. We made money and we worked like dogs.

To really motivate yourself start paying your parents for living with them. If you're paying already, pay double.

You must have some skills?
 R2K_4ever
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/10/2011 4:23:41 PM
You should consider a job where you know your strengths would be utilized. Have you ever considered federal government jobs? You may also want to consider minoring in something else to go along with your degree. There is always going into service if you're qualified.
 Aries_328
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2011 5:15:29 PM
applying for jobs online can be a lot like a dating site. You can send a ton of messages and not get a reply. You would be lucky to have read/deleted.

The tougher the job market is the worse online dati... job searches are.

Find recruiters... more than one... don't make a commitent on your first interview and make sure you find what fits you.

hmmmm new biz idea for POF... POJ Plenty of Jobs... All starts to sound the same after you describe it.
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/10/2011 5:26:55 PM
Sociology degree are as useless and a time waster as my psychology (undrgrad) degree. Don't get your hopes up to find work in that field.
 kari135
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2011 5:35:23 PM

I'm getting old, lol. I don't recall ever applying for a job online, ever, unless it was perhaps sending my resume for a position in a different Province, being Canadian. Nowadays, though, I guess that's the norm, to apply online for every job going. I must have always had horseshoes out my bum, I always just showed up in person, with my resume, and good things eventually happened. Does no one ever pound the pavement anymore??

You aren't getting old, but apparently you haven't had to apply for a job in the last 15 years, at least. Now most - if not all - of the states have their state employment sites online. Eleven years ago, the last one I used the person I talked to got snarky and said if I had internet access available anywhere else to go there instead of wasting their time. It's gotten to the point where you can't even call the local employment office for day laborers without having an employer ID number - I know, I tried to do that and failed miserably.

I will say that about 3 years after I'd put my information on that state site eleven years ago, my sister - whose contact number I'd used - finally got a call asking if I was available for an interview. It was a big city and absolutely no place hired anyone off the street. There were no "help wanted" signs in any windows anywhere.
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/10/2011 6:10:31 PM

I graduated with a degree in Sociology this past June with a freaking 3.77 and have to live with my parents right now. It really really sucks. I have applied everywhere and won't even get a call back. I've spent hundreds of hours looking the Net and can't find a thing.

In a former job as a labour economist I would give presentations to high school and university students and I would start out by asking them a question; Do you expect/want to find work in your field of study? If they answer yes, I told them the next question they absolutely need to answer is "Did you research the labour market potential with X degree?". Sadly 95% would say "no".

It is sad because there is a wealth of of research done and updated on a regular basis...hell that was a part of my job. It is all available online. Students needs to start thinking about after graduation if they want a job with their degree.

Sociology degrees wont get you a job for most graduates. However, it is something that can be used in combination with another degree, such as a Masters or Social Work. So really you need to sit down and think about plan B.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/10/2011 7:00:24 PM
When I was looking for my first job in the computer industry I literally got the phonebook out and wrote down every business in my area that seemed remotely related to computers

I've had to do that too. (ended up making a pretty good living when I was asked to come interview)

OP; you should network with "all" of your Government offices and departments to just get IN..and anywhere. Usually they will open avenues for horizontal movement; and eventually, you will get where you belong.

My ex roomie just moved across the country to work in Government/Municipal planning. It sucks that she HAD to; but at least she is where she studied to be, and making a pretty good living also. Maybe apply to cities and townships and other structures ALL aroud your State.Also try thinktanks, and scial conferncing organizations; which council Government in your discipline. THAT was where "I" found my first 3 weeks of work after school.

List the SKILLS you learned which relate to any job position, as opposed to, simply, your course of study. For example; you are familiar with quantatative analysis, metrics, and statistics..no? THAT translates HUGE to business analytics.

Wait...you just told him to go to trade school a few posts ago?

Maybe a Liberal Arts course or 5 could help with that.

For many University or colleg grads; their degree serves as soimething VERY useful...a dust attractor on the wall to guard their paint...or..a place mat at your table.

I was also made F & B Manager at that Country Club.

Probably a pretty cool work environment no?

Anyways; best of luck OP; keep up the good fight, and dont give up on yourself. ;)

P.s.s. Maybe take up surfing, climbing, or skiing to keep yourself feeling like life is fine. :)
 southmeetswest
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2011 7:51:11 PM
op,
i went through what you are going through. the only reason i got my foot in the door was that someone i know put many good words in for me. several times.
you must network. you must join networking groups. apply for everything that is in the ballpark of what you can do and will do. any job is better than no job. i am making alot less money, but i am making some money. fortunately i am working in an environment that suits me so that makes it all more tolerable and gives potential to move up.
talk to everyone you know, talk to people you don't know. people you randomly meet wherever and whenever. volunteer in a place that has jobs that you would like to have or in your field. when people get to know you and what can do and who you are they will think of you when they hear of an opening and be willing to recommend you.

it is very disheartening. set a schedule to apply, a schedule to network. do the best that you can do. but remember to take some breaks and relax, get physical to help control the stress and frustration..

i just got a rejection letter/email from a company i applied to 4 months ago! i liked it better in the old days when you applied in person. but that is not the way it is today. big learning curve for alot people.

apply for part time jobs, that way you will still be able to continue your big picture job search. my job is part time, although they work me about 30-35 hours a week because i make myself available when they call for an emergency fill in. it came with health care benefits too.

good luck, keep the faith
kaylee
 Padawan61
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2011 5:19:35 AM
i just got a rejection letter/email from a company i applied to 4 months ago! i liked it better in the old days when you applied in person. but that is not the way it is today

What?? The good ol' days when employers send you a rejection letter by snail mail?? A rejection letter is a rejection letter ... doesn't matter the method of delivery. Nowadays ... employers simply ignore people without any sort of response. They figure why waste time with a rejection letter when ignoring the applicant is just as effective.

I don't recall ever applying for a job online, ever, unless it was perhaps sending my resume for a position in a different Province, being Canadian.

I always just showed up in person, with my resume, and good things eventually happened. Does no one ever pound the pavement anymore??

Emailing resumes is a whole lot more practical than hitting the pavement, sweetness. It gets to the employer instantly and you don't have to spend time and fuel costs dropping them off in person. In fact, you can send resumes in your jammies without having to dress the part.

I've done the personal drop offs in the past, but they don't guarantee a job anymore than emailing a whole bunch.

My current employer took two weeks to contact me after I applied. He interviewed me for 20 minutes and hired me within two hours (after telling me he'll decide in a week's time). He said he liked my resume ... so I suppose that meant he was impressed by all the techno-babble and didn't even bother to contact my references.

Most liberal arts degrees are useless. A way for schools to "educate" i.e. take money from kids too slow to study something useful like engineering

Sociology degree are as useless and a time waster as my psychology (undrgrad) degree

These two statements are pretty much the truth. What exactly is a sociology degree anyway ... and do you expect to be paid for studying people and social relations?? I once knew someone who spent 4 years on a history degree ... only to end up working retail.

I would never go back to school ... unless it was specifically the path to a better paying job ... or higher pay at an existing job. That means a program in hard techologies only. Not one of these ridiculous wimpy degrees that'll get you nowhere.
 timetogo3223
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/11/2011 6:18:55 AM
Hey, look, OP.

Don't let everybody tell you that a degree in Sociology is useless. I know of unemployed CPA's, MA's in business and even lawyers (is this one so bad?).

You can sit around and mope or start your own job/business or really just go to places you want to work and get in somebody's face. Get noticed. Online apps are the norm, but don't be normal.

There are plenty of successful people who have gotten degrees in fields that are considered "useless", but who end up running rings around those who narrowed their studies to widgets in and value -added widgets out.
 Padawan61
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2011 8:03:15 AM
There are plenty of successful people who have gotten degrees in fields that are considered "useless", but who end up running rings around those who narrowed their studies to widgets in and value -added widgets out

You could be right if the OP can convince employers to contract his services for useless make-work projects that produces nothing.

I remember working at a large company many years ago and some former social worker- turned-business owner cleverly talked the company into contracting her services as an "employee coach". You know ... when they come in to host group-hug powwow sessions on how to be team players and resolve conflict situations. The thing is ... many of the technical people in the company thought of her services as useless, time consuming while accomplishing questionable results ... except to give her a wage, of course. The only "positives" we got out of it were extended coffee breaks for these so-called teaming building sessions ... and maybe a snooze during the workday.

I had a Dilbert cartoon on my cubicle wall mocking her "services" .... and everyone thought it was pretty funny ... even my team lead at the time.

If I was the owner of a business, I would tell people like her to get lost when they walk in the door to offer employee "coaching".
 kari135
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2011 9:51:49 AM

Most liberal arts degrees are useless. A way for schools to "educate" i.e. take money from kids too slow to study something useful like engineering

Sociology degree are as useless and a time waster as my psychology (undrgrad) degree

These two statements are pretty much the truth. What exactly is a sociology degree anyway ... and do you expect to be paid for studying people and social relations?? I once knew someone who spent 4 years on a history degree ... only to end up working retail.

I would never go back to school ... unless it was specifically the path to a better paying job ... or higher pay at an existing job. That means a program in hard techologies only. Not one of these ridiculous wimpy degrees that'll get you nowhere.

It dpends entirely on what you want to do. I got my BS because, in the end, it was required for my job. I also took all the courses necessary to be a substance abuse counselor but refused the certification, because I knew it would burn me out much too fast. The last job I applied for in my field, I was not hired because I lacked two - just two classes in social work. My prospective employer cried when she told me, because she really wanted someone with exactly the experience I had, but was freshly constrained by state law to hire only those with at least a specific number of courses in social work. Instead of me, she was stuck with a gaggle of brand new grads who were clueless in all but the desire to 'do goood.'

As for the less ordinary degrees, I know of at least one successful writer who has advanced degrees in medieval literature and history. She writes fiction, btw. There are others who have switched from teaching at colleges and universities to full time writing - it pays better, and they are much happier. They run the gamut from library science to the hard sciences to computer sciences.
 timetogo3223
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/11/2011 12:16:58 PM
Padawan61...

You could be right if the OP can convince employers to contract his services for useless make-work projects that produces nothing.

I remember working at a large company many years ago and some former social worker- turned-business owner cleverly talked the company into contracting her services as an "employee coach". You know ... when they come in to host group-hug powwow sessions on how to be team players and resolve conflict situations. The thing is ... many of the technical people in the company thought of her services as useless, time consuming while accomplishing questionable results ... except to give her a wage, of course. The only "positives" we got out of it were extended coffee breaks for these so-called teaming building sessions ... and maybe a snooze during the workday.

I had a Dilbert cartoon on my cubicle wall mocking her "services" .... and everyone thought it was pretty funny ... even my team lead at the time.

If I was the owner of a business, I would tell people like her to get lost when they walk in the door to offer employee "coaching".

How about thinking outside the cubicle? No offense, but I would not expect you to grasp what I'm talking about if you are comfortable with cruising in your cubicle.
The OP does not have to use his degree to schnuker somebody. He can see an opening or a need and fill it. Whether his degree applies at that moment or not is beside the point. The study of people can be learned on the fly or it can be learned formally.

Many are told to go to college because that is supposed to be the only way to get what you want in the material world. Then they are told to take loans to go to college, because of inflated costs. Why they are inflated is another subject.

Two college drop-outs I can think of that did okay: Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. We all can't be the next Mega-nerd, but those guys saw a need and filled it. I'm paraphrasing from a documentary on Jobs. In 1995, he was interviewed and said that he looked around at all the buildings and all the equipment and things that were built by people that were no smarter than him, and he realized that you can accomplish great goals if you put your mind to it.

Some people are content to cubiclize -- nothing wrong with it. But I'll lay you odds that if you and that lady "coach" were to be going after the same job, all things being equal, she would slam you down. She knows how to survive.

And...you were not the owner of that business because ownership has risks outside the cubicle, no matter what Dilbert says.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2011 1:24:44 PM
Hey Plato,

With all due respect from what I can see you're still laying pipe right here and now. IMO you might want to reconsider the realities of that shadow on the wall of the cave. Just an opinion.

My sister got a sociology degree 35 or so years ago. She's made six figures or more for a heck of a long time as a human resources professional. She had to relocate for awhile, but she's been where she wants to be for most of her life.

"Attitude is everything." Great luck to all!
 SoBayNative
Msg: 27
Posted: 11/11/2011 1:28:52 PM
I got my undergrad degree in a "useless" social science field that I loved and still love. My only option was to get a graduate degree and do research and teach at university level which I couldn't bear to do. Waste my time teaching something I loved to bored undergrads so I got my BA and then went on to do something else. I don't regret it at all. I studied something I loved. I went to school to get an education not higher level vocational training. I have much more education both university and other and have always been able to find a job. Do what you love and you'll always find work. You'll have to start at the bottom and work your way up but that's reality. As an aside, my mother got her degree in Sociology and worked as a social worker until she changed careers. I'm thinking of doing a career change and working with the elderly. I've always liked older people.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Anyone else unable to find a job?