Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Indie.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 electricxlady
Msg: 1
Indie.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I am an Indie girl, I love Indie music and I'm always craving new tunes. Anyone know of any good Indie bands/artists? I'm always looking for more. I love female Indie artists, so let me know if you know of any. I know of quite a few, but I want more :)
Thanks!
And let me know what you think of Indie music while you're at it!
 Xonus
Msg: 2
Indie.
Posted: 11/18/2011 10:24:42 PM
There's an indie band and I personally know the lead singer for the band. "Boys and Frogs". Very talented!

I also recommend trying out:
M83
Phantogram
Two Door Cinema Club
Foster The People
Strange Talk
Portugal. The Man
Friends

and that's just to name a few. To be honest I love indie music. Quite diverse and basically has it's own sub-genres.
 Bishopboat
Msg: 3
Indie.
Posted: 11/19/2011 12:15:12 PM
I'm a redneck indie (there are alot of us in the southern united states).

I'm more into the folk/folk-rock style indie, I really enjoy Beirut, Fleet Foxes, Chad VanGaalen, The Decemberist, The Middle East, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros, and Mumford and Sons.

I have to agree with Xonus on Foster The People, they're a good group. Not exactly my style though, but enjoyable.
 Xonus
Msg: 4
Indie.
Posted: 11/19/2011 10:44:56 PM
I have an album of Fleet Foxes. They're pretty good. Although I'd recommend Ray LaMontagne. She & Him is a pretty good band. Mostly has a 60s flare to their singing style (and also includes actress Zooey Deschannel as lead singer). Might I suggest checking out this blog:
iguessimfloating(.)net

I often go here to find music of the similar sub-genre you speak of Bishopboat.

That reminds me, Erik Hassle. This guy is an instant legend in my books. He sings in English but he's from Sweden and he looks like he could be a relative to Napoleon Dynamite. :P
 Q and not u
Msg: 5
Indie.
Posted: 11/20/2011 3:51:32 PM
I recommend you look back towards the origins of indie rock. Mediafire c86. It was a collection nme put out in the mid eighties that was extremely influential, even though half the bands were ripping off the smiths. I agree with camera obscura. Glasgow has always been right on as far as twee goes. I would also recommend you check out post card records, which was a label in scotland in the early 80s. Mediafire "high land hard rain" by aztec camera and "rip it up" by orange juice.
As far as more modern music, check out allo darlin. They are based out of london and have a new record coming out soon.
 newdejavu
Msg: 6
Indie.
Posted: 11/21/2011 7:49:42 AM
I agree with jenoside on camera obscura and rilo kiley. Some others you may like:
seapony
scout
winterpills
butterfly boucher
nina gordon
lissie
yukon blonde, no female vox but good band(and Canadian)
 Delling_Conley
Msg: 7
Indie.
Posted: 11/21/2011 8:25:44 AM
Cocorosie
Soap and Skin
Blessed Feathers
Faun
Kosterkeller
Zaz
Priscilla Ahn
Kelsey Wild
Hadenigarna
The Cranes
Lahsa De Sela
Tarantella
Cat Power
Jillian Ann
Ragani
Gaate
Judith and Holofernes
The Minnow and the Trout
Helium
The Pierces
April March
The Blacks
Faith and the Muse
Dum Dum Girls
The Hissyfits
Molly Marlette
Lilum
Amy Macdonald
Ruby Throat
Faith and Disease
Dengue Fever
The Ravonettes
O.N.O.
Danielson Family

Indie music can be another word for "alternative", or it can point to any independent band or label of any genre (like alternative used to before the onslaught of alternative radio in the 90's). I think it was a term used by alternative bands that were turned off by the whole major label MTV "buzz" band thing. Generally speaking the word indie seems to provoke the idea of a pop sound, or an experimental sound.
That's one perspective...
 Bishopboat
Msg: 8
Indie.
Posted: 11/21/2011 12:13:19 PM
Ah, I strongly disagree... When people say indie, alot think of a indie folk/folk-rock sound.

Indie is a huge music subgroup with alot of styles and sounds.
 Delling_Conley
Msg: 9
Indie.
Posted: 11/24/2011 12:55:42 AM
I'll have to ask the next beardo I see!
 Delling_Conley
Msg: 10
Indie.
Posted: 11/29/2011 11:46:55 AM
A bit of trivia I found today while reading about This Mortal Coil: TMC was a "gothic dreampop supergroup" formed within the seminal record label 4AD, who went in business in 1980. Apparently they had several songs on the "indie" charts. After further browsing I found that someone from Cherry Red (great record label) suggested an independent chart should be established. In 1980 the indie chart was born, and was eventually licensed to Sounds magazine.
 SoleFem
Msg: 11
Indie.
Posted: 12/8/2011 11:41:09 AM
Hi, my newest favourite tune this week is "Down by the Water by the Decemberists"
Solefem
 ...SilverFox...
Msg: 12
Indie.
Posted: 12/17/2011 3:40:07 PM
My 2 favorites!
 Artinplay
Msg: 13
Indie.
Posted: 12/19/2011 7:31:01 PM
Grouplove - Slow
Radiohead - How to Disappear Completely
Chris Clark - Herr Barr (sort of)
Pia Fraus - Birds Still Swing
Neutral Milk Hotel
We Are Trees
The XX - Fantasy
Washed Out - Get Up
Neon Indian - Should have taken acid with you

I'm thinking most of these are the more well known with the indie crowd, but this is just a quick list. And a lot of my preferences are already mentioned =/
I'd say Salem as well, but they're more electronic.
 tinguy66
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Indie.
Posted: 12/25/2011 2:50:27 AM
You Say Party! We Say Die!
 PAVEparadise
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Indie.
Posted: 12/25/2011 9:57:44 PM
Check out White Denim, they are a great garage blues sounding band. But for that I have some folky sounding Hip-hop artist. Astronautalis is insane, and every album he has done has been incredible. Buck 65 is really good, and Cecil Other has a really chill type sound.
 Techno-spike
Msg: 16
Indie.
Posted: 12/29/2011 6:57:00 PM
WOW... THANK YOU. I was afraid I was gonne scroll down that whole thread and find NO mention of MODEST MOUSE, the greatest Indie Rock band alive.
 sonvolt3381
Msg: 17
Indie.
Posted: 12/31/2011 5:43:07 AM
Superchunk
Dinosaur jr
Sebadoh
Thin White Rope
Snatches of Pink
 Rheostatic
Msg: 18
Indie.
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:08:19 AM

Define indie for me please? I was under the impression that "indie" meant bands saying **** labels and doing there own thing, touring on there own dime and living from selling CD's and T-Shirts at the gig. I was unaware that now you can be a bullshit college radio rock band with a major record label backing you while you vomit unoriginal songs and talk about politics you know **** all about and still be called "indie". BLACK FLAG was indie, MINOR THREAT was indie, ****in' hell CANNIBAL CORPSE is still more indie than any "indie" band.

The definition of "indie" changed more than a decade ago. What you're referring to is known as "independent music", which is more of an idea than a genre. Your question was already sarcastically asked millions of times , but I guess you didn't hear over the sound of all those original double kicks and power chords, and songs about dragons and destiny.

Anyways, check out Hey Rosetta, a band from my hometown. They're building quite the name for themselves, and deservedly so. Sure I'm friends with some of them, but I honestly believe they deserve the attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rd1mlKl-CE

As for female artists, can't go wrong with Sarah Slean. And I'm becoming more and more infatuated with Basia Bulat.

p.s. I like metal, I just have little patience for holier-than-thou metal heads.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Indie.