Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Number of characters in an email      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Unguided Tourist
Msg: 1
Number of characters in an emailPage 1 of 1    
I'm curious to know how effective has the option been to users who choose to specify a certain amount ot characters in their contact's initial email?

Has it filtered out some of those typical "copy and paste" emails?
 ohenryx
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Number of characters in an email
Posted: 11/17/2011 1:14:17 PM
In my best Spock voice: Captain, this is not logical.

"Copy and paste" would be the very easiest way to get around any limitation on the minimum number of characters.

The minimum number of characters is meant to avoid initial messages such as:

"What's up?"

Any man employing cut and paste would probably have one or two paragraphs of very generalized, highly spell-checked bull crap.
 Unguided Tourist
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/17/2011 1:21:18 PM
What about getting unique or original emails. Has it helped in those categories?
Posted: 11/17/2011 2:45:34 PM
a couple of perfect examples in this thread of why the character restrictions are of such limited value. cut and paste gets around them in a flash, and they don't prevent horny oafs from blundering into anyone's inbox. they DO, however, protect their users against clever, original brevity.
 Unguided Tourist
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/17/2011 2:51:59 PM
That was basically my initial question; does this option do more favours or as Christ has put it, is it a detriment?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/17/2011 4:29:57 PM
All a character minimum does is weed out people who can't string a sentence or two together. It doesn't weed out the ones who use the same letter 50 times to get around it, but those are easy enough to delete.

Those who cut and paste tend to send longer e-mails, so it likely won't flag those. I think there is a restriction on how many of the same exact messages they can send though, so eventually they have to change things up.
 Indira46
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2013 12:00:54 PM
Send them an email first. I have my own system for sending first messages. I tell a funny story that I think would amuse them based on their profile interests. Then I end it with an open ended question. This is not difficult, as I only write to men with well written profiles that give me lots of ideas.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2013 1:52:39 PM

Here are examples of what women receive in an email that we attempt to filter out when we select a minimum number of characters:
HI
SEXY!!!!
How you doin?
Wanna get busy?
Nice boobs!
Looking for a FWB?
Need a massage?
I need cushion for my pushing

Of course they can override that by filling it in with lots of X's and O's like they do to create what is basically a blank profile but most of the ones who would send me things like that can't use both of their heads at the same time so they fail to realize it.

They can still copy and paste all they want as long as it has the correct number of characters.

Facts:
1. Women send the same short , or provocative messages you guys claim men do. I think "hi there ;)" or "hi" is something you women learned in message 101 to send. I get more of those than anything else, and a google search will confirm that is the majority of messages guys get from those who initiate. As for sexual comments or compliments...... actually women have mentioned panties, kissing, and rub downs in a few messages. So it is not a gender issue really.
2. Women get dozens of messages per day so I GUESS they will be more choosy than the guys(ones sided internet dating) ....but I HAVE not in anyway found the women who write short messages to be any less attractive, articulate or all around fun person than those who blah,blah blah.You gals might be missing out!
Since only like 5% will even initiate to guys... I always figured that those brave enough to initiate figured that the rejection hurt less if only a "hi" is sent(experience has shown some of us, that women handle rejection MUCH worst than guys do)
3. Based on above info... one can conclude that it really doesn't matter what a female initiates when writing most guys. Your "hot" a "hi" will work. Your "not"..most guys don't care what you know ,say or do(unless they get offered sex or f**K buddy type thing).
4. Laughter and wittiness works on both genders!

Disclaimer: above applies to most, but as is everything else in this or any other forum a... generalization. There are some guys who do require perfect spelling,demand 13 lines and a message written by Shakespeare. But chances are those guys would be too boring that you wouldn't want them anyway.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2013 2:07:49 PM

shame on you, joey...you offer up your disclaimer and yet end on a generalisation - i'm rather partial to messages penned by bard wannabes...

;)

OP, it means next to nothing...i have a character limit and they just repeat their underwhelming witticisms until they manage to meet criteria and "send" - course i'm unimaginative too...i just hit delete...

meh...

ROFL..... that's why I said CHANCES.....because some do love the poet!Unfortunately, poets will use poetry when breaking up as well ;(
I am rather partial to Mime's. This medium isn't easy for them!
 no_1_bby
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2013 5:08:34 PM

I'm curious to know how effective has the option been to users who choose to specify a certain amount ot characters in their contact's initial email?

Has it filtered out some of those typical "copy and paste" emails?

Not the copy/paste ones (I don't get a lot of those anyway)... but it eliminates the "hey".. "what's up"... "ur hawt" messages.

I'm forcing them to make some effort.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Number of characters in an email