Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do YOU keep the Christmas spirit all year long? : )      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SunnyBlueSkies23
Msg: 1
Do YOU keep the Christmas spirit all year long? : )Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Do you try to keep the spirit of Christmas (being loving and giving,sharing what you have) going the WHOLE year through?
While it's difficult,if not near impossible for the majority of us (yes....myself included! : ) ) to keep this spirit alive ALL year long.....it certainly IS an attainable goal. I believe it's up to each of us to keep it going. How about by....giving what you don't need to your local Salvation Army or consignment store? Or maybe by....volunteering to be a puppy walker at your local pet store. And, who doesn't like to see children laughing and happy?? What about...cheering up children at your local Children's Hospital with magic tricks and silly songs? The list could go on to infinity.
This next year, I'm going to try harder than ever to accomplish this....to keep the TRUE Spirit of Christmas alive and going strong in my heart, AND my little corner of the world. I urge everyone to join me. If just ONE of us can make a difference in someone's world...... just think what A LOT of us could do!
Can you think of a way YOU could make a difference?
 SunnyBlueSkies23
Msg: 2
Do YOU keep the Christmas spirit all year long? : )
Posted: 11/25/2011 10:20:10 AM
You're sweet. Thanks a bunch! If MORE people cared like YOU do, we'd sure have a happier world! Have a great day!
 SunnyBlueSkies23
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/25/2011 1:46:57 PM
Thank you, Scrooge! (just kidding ). It doesn't take much effort....just do what you feel up to, is my point. Thanks for your thoughts.
 Glenoran1
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/25/2011 2:19:26 PM
Ah, now this hits on a pet peeve of mine. I for one resent attempts by society (especially merchants and religions, etc.) to choreograph my feelings, emotions and behaviour. For example ...

It's Christmas! You should feel "the Christmas spirit" and give generously to (fill in the blank with the name of whatever organization or store is targeting you at that moment). Buy for everyone on your Christmas list, and host or attend a humongous get-together and a bunch of private or at-work parties.

It's Easter! You should feel (fill in the appropriate emotions for 'he died', 'he died for you', he's alive again). Arrange or attend events for the kids, host or attend another big family get-together.

It's Canada Day or Fourth of July or ... Feel patriotic and grateful to live in this country today.

It's Thanksgiving! .... You get the drift.

I am not into looking at the calendar to decide how or what I should feel, etc. Other than giving the grandkids Christmas gifts and arranging the occasional family get-together, I minimize letting society manipulate my actions and emotions.
 _shakti_
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/25/2011 2:50:12 PM
The only christmas spirit I have is entirely faked, so no.. I wouldn't keep that up ALL year long. That would be ridiculously exhausting!!
 Padawan61
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2011 7:50:24 PM
Hell no ... I don't even keep the Christmas spirit AT Christmas. I just like being the "piss in the water supply" to balance out all the sappy Yuletide feelings.
 Glenoran1
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/26/2011 10:51:44 AM
^^^^^ (((((( HUGGGGGS ))))))

One of the most empathic acts of kindness I've heard of in quite some time. Kudos, and then some!
 SunnyBlueSkies23
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/26/2011 1:41:26 PM
Hey, SeaKytten....... THAT was one of the most selfless things i've heard in a long time! TRIPLE Kudos to you
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2011 3:17:29 PM
Hey, SeaKytten....... THAT was one of the most selfless things i've heard in a long time!
Really? I call that stupid.

Giving three hundred bucks to a woman for her cat when you're wailing that you can't afford to feed yourself? I honestly cannot find another word to describe such actions.

God works in mysterious ways and I'm just so glad I had a part in making her believe in faith again.
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but since your god seems to be so capable of providing for you, have you thought of asking him to toss out your resume to a company that will hire you.

After all, if he can save cats, surely getting a little job in order isn't too big a feat for him to do for ya...

I believe it's obvious that I do NOT keep the christmas spirit.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2011 11:57:55 AM
I'm with Glenoran on this topic ... I'm tired of being told HOW to feel on any given day, time of year, whatever ... just because Hallmark and the local and international merchants want me to feel that way ...

as for keeping the "Christmas spirit" all year long ... I start purchasing Christmas presents in January ... regularly have most shopping done by September ...

if I kept the "Christmas spirit" all year long, I wouldn't know when to start shopping to waste my money buying all the junk I get that no one wants anyway ... (I admit I plagerized that last comment ... it's what my youngest son told me about Christmas at my house) ...

bah, humbug ...

I create special times and special events in my life when I feel like it ... e.g., one week, for no special reason other than she needed it, I spent that time and money renovating my granddaughter's bathroom ... e.g., I've flown across the country when someone in the family needed personal help/attention ... e.g., I gave up a month of my time when my ex-husband was injured and needed help getting to and from doctors, hospitals, meals, banking ... etc ...

I am, however, having a big breakfast at my house Christmas morning ... it's mostly for the grandkids ... don't know how much "real Christmas spirit" will be demonstrated ... but we'll have games and laughter and lots to eat ... that's about the most "Christmas spirit" I can generate this year!

... ... ...
 MsMicki
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2011 8:20:24 PM
Being giving does not have to involve money

Spend time at a Childrens Hospital....or at a nursing home...or at a VA hospital.
Work at a food bank or help to deliver food to invalids.

You will be amazed at how great you feel bringing a smile to a deserving soul.

My organization fed 75 Veterans with nowhere to go on Thanksgiving day.....being a part of that was the highlight of my holiday.
In a few weeks we will be going to the local VA Hospital and delivering Christmas to 60some Veterans that haven't had a visit from a family member in years. They are our forgotten heros and are so outrageously grateful for the little bit we give them that I come home in tears every year.

I don't do it for pats on the back........I do it because it should be done.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/1/2011 8:44:42 AM
I wouldnt call it the Christmas spirit...but I do gain a great deal of personal satisfaction from helping others.

I feel it is my obligation to help others, seeing as I have a pretty darned good life and I believe in 'paying it forward'.

I have recently given a good family my second hand car...no charge as I knew I wouldnt get much on a trade for it, it would be eaten up in admin costs etc...and by giving my car to another family, they are now a lot more mobile. They can afford to maintain it, they just couldnt save enough to buy one.

I also have a few organizations that I donate my own time to on a regular basis and dont require a calendar to remind me it is 'time to give'.

I dont expect others to feel about paying it forward as I do...and I do it because it feels right to me.
 Glenoran1
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/1/2011 9:49:23 AM
You might be surprised about how many people DO 'pay it forward'. I've been doing that for decades (long before the movie came out), but I was delighted to see that movie because it might awaken the concept in others who just never thought of it. When someone tried to pay me back, I just suggested they 'pass it on' and keep the ball rolling.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/1/2011 12:30:25 PM
Glenoran, funny you should say that-my family has always paid it forwarrd, and not until that movie came out did we have a 'name' for that way of giving. I find it appropriate...and now at least others know what it means!
 SunnyBlueSkies23
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/2/2011 3:45:34 PM
You're absolutely right, SeaKytten!
My idea was in the concept of "paying it forward". You don't need to spend any money,or think you have to "go without" so someone else can have some. There's plenty for ALL of us, if only we choose to see.
My idea was simply,"In what ways can you think of to make someone else's life a little easier, a little bit better?" It's not as hard as some people make it out to be............share gently used items( clothing, toys, books,) with people who may not have a lot;if you're in line at a grocery store and someone needs an extra .50 cents to make their purchase,giving it to them,no strings attached; visiting sick kids in the hospital for a day or so, just to cheer them up;someone mentioned paying forgotton vets in the VA a visit and turning it into a celebration for THEM, for what they did for all of US.
The point is,would YOU like the world to KICK you when you're down, or would you like somebody to come along and offer you a hand UP?? Karma has a way of evening the score.
To quote a favorite band's title to their newest C.D., "You Get What You Give". Paying it forward is simply the concept of "You reached out & helped me when I needed it.....now, it's my turn".
"There are none so blind as those who will not see". Think about it......
 Padawan61
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2011 9:48:29 PM
"There are none so blind as those who will not see". Think about it.....

Why is it that the do-gooders believe themselves to be the only ones who can see??

If you must rely on the "pay-it-forward" system ... meaning you have benefitted from someone else's generosity at one time ... perhaps you're not as "all-seeing" as you may think. Because if you were not so blinded by absolute faith in God, there would've been backup plans to deal with life's uncertainties ... without having to depend on the charity of others. Think about THAT.

Another one of those proverbial lemons is ... "giving back to the community" that charities use to brainwash people into giving. "Give back" ... why?!?! Some of us have never asked the community for anything so we have nothing to give back.

I shall remain "the piss in everyone's water supply" ... thank you very much.

or would you like somebody to come along and offer you a hand UP??

There's no such thing as a hand up. That's a clever euphemism for hand OUT ... just to make it sound more appealing to the recipient.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2011 8:27:29 AM
I'm out of a job myself but I offered to pick him up and take him where he needed to go without wanting nor asking for anything in return.
So what did you fuel the vehicle with... cat pyss?

I feel sorry for those that do nothing for anyone without expecting something in return and hold people in contempt that do.
From your posts, you should probably think of saving your sympathy for yourself, you seem to need it more than the rest of us.

My reward isn't in the fact of boasting what I did for that person.
And yet here you are listing your good deeds and soaking up praise.

The point is,would YOU like the world to KICK you when you're down, or would you like somebody to come along and offer you a hand UP??
And here's my point.

If you're in dire financial straits yourself and are either reliant to someone else for help or soon to be reliant, exactly what is right about giving something away to someone else? It's not your money that you're spending for the other person, it's money that belongs to whomever is helping you out. I would never expect someone else to pay for something that I take credit for... it's unseemly and I dare say, not very christian-like.

I have no need to sit here and list the things I do to help others, whether they're absolute strangers to me or a close family member.

As for circumstances changing on a dime... that only happens to people that are unprepared. Some of us have ensured that we have a pretty damned good financial buffer so we're not going to be reliant on another person. We're also the people that will take whatever crap job is out there rather than sit at home unemployed and whining about not being able to eat while feeding half a dozen cats.
 SunnyBlueSkies23
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/3/2011 12:42:06 PM
I like your Hallmark version too. Thanks for sharing!
 MsMicki
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2011 7:49:28 PM

If you must rely on the "pay-it-forward" system ... meaning you have benefitted from someone else's generosity at one time ... perhaps you're not as "all-seeing" as you may think. Because if you were not so blinded by absolute faith in God, there would've been backup plans to deal with life's uncertainties ... without having to depend on the charity of others. Think about THAT..

Give me a break.....I've never been on welfare, or have someone pay my bills for me, but that doesn't mean I haven't benefited from someone's generousity. Maybe someone behind me in the grocery line reached in their pocket and gave me a quarter because I didn't have my debit card and found myself .20 cents short at the checkout. Maybe I had a flat tire and a perfect stranger stopped and offered to help me change the tire.
Paying it forward is a concept based on doing good deeds, because it usually results in the receiver helping out someone else later on. It has nothing to do with religious beliefs or giving back only because you once needed the help.
And so what if one of us had been to the point we needed charity, it doesn't mean we were ignorant fools without a life plan.
Good for you that you've never needed assistance.........one would think that would install of bit of gratefulness........but obviously not.
Scrooge had nothing on you.....
 Padawan61
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2011 11:51:35 PM
Give me a break.....I've never been on welfare, or have someone pay my bills for me, but that doesn't mean I haven't benefited from someone's generousity. Maybe someone behind me in the grocery line reached in their pocket and gave me a quarter because I didn't have my debit card and found myself .20 cents short at the checkout. Maybe I had a flat tire and a perfect stranger stopped and offered to help me change the tire

Oh puhleese!! If you needed an act of kindness for something as trivial as a quarter at the checkout ... you obviously don't understand the concept of being prepared. I've always had sufficient change on hand before going through any checkout ... with my debit/credit cards as backup. Otherwise I wouldn't be buying anything. As for changing a flat tire ... ever heard of reading the owner's manual??

Years ago, I was driving a beater with a faulty gas gauge, which resulted in me running out of gas. Someone did stop to offer his cellphone ... but I thanked him, sent him on his way because I already had a cellphone. Again ... being prepared. You should familiarize yourself with the idea.

Paying it forward is a concept based on doing good deeds, because it usually results in the receiver helping out someone else later on. It has nothing to do with religious beliefs or giving back only because you once needed the help

From some of the posts on here, many do rely on prayers to God for his intervention rather than actively making contingency plans of their own. So religious beliefs are a factor in some of these people being caught in doo-doo.

And so what if one of us had been to the point we needed charity, it doesn't mean we were ignorant fools without a life plan

From my perspective, you are.

Good for you that you've never needed assistance.........one would think that would install of bit of gratefulness........but obviously not

Gratefulness in my own abilities to plan ahead ... and not having to rely on strangers.

Scrooge had nothing on you.....

Ebenezer is an amateur. If you're gonna be a scrooge ... at least do it right.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2011 1:40:59 PM
I do try to keep the "Christmas spirit" throughout the year. But why?? It's not because I believe in a greater reward in the afterlife.

Not because I think it helps my Karma, Or because it benefits humanity as a whole, or to pay it forward......It's totally a selfish reason on my part. It makes me feel good to help someone.... I like the look on their faces.
 Glenoran1
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/4/2011 2:40:18 PM
^^^^ Well said. I, too, just do what I want to do, and it just happens to be pleasing others -- especially those who have little to be happy about. I only use the 'pay it forward' or 'pass it on' suggestion if they try to reimburse me in some way later on. By then I've usually forgotten about it anyway (wry grin).
 junipermoon
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2011 4:36:49 PM
true goodwill does not call attention to itself. it does not brag about its generosity or kind gestures. true goodwill does the right thing at the right moment without expecting recognition. martyrdom doesn't qualify, in my book. nor does false humility.

the 'christmas spirit' asks for neither thanks nor reciprocation. it simply shares and walks away.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do YOU keep the Christmas spirit all year long? : )