Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > To me the recession is even worse now      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 4
To me the recession is even worse nowPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Its definately getting worse. Even the nurses are having a hard time getting work especially the experienced ones the new grads will come in and work for so much less. Ive seen 2 deaths this last year under new grads care. Things are getting scary! People always think well always have work but healthcare is the 1st thing to get cut on local state and federal levels.
 wooliepack
Msg: 5
view profile
History
To me the recession is even worse now
Posted: 12/1/2011 10:20:35 PM
I got stuck in evening traffic coming from Napa back to Vallejo, and it was the worst I've ever seen. Where are they all coming from? If there's a recession, these people seem to have plenty of work. Same with Rt 37 across the north side of SF Bay-- jammed eastbound every afternoon. It used to only get like that on Sundays, but now it's every day of the week. I've heard the Bay Bridge commute hasn't been so bad, but I never go that way.
Saw a Craigslist ad for gutter cleaning help, and this guy works 60 hours a week. Me, I've got nothing for the next two weeks. Applied for a tech job posted today, and thirty other guys were also applying by noon.
If you want to read the real news behind the bad news, there's a site called SOTT-dot-net, and it touts a psychopathic basis for why our governments and institutions are going to the Devil. The more you follow this line, the more sense it makes. It's beginning to appear in the mainstream lately as well. It takes courage to put this kind of thing online. Like an anaconda, the NWO is inching towards its goal, which is total control of the Planet, and we are the little piggy hypnotized by its gaze.
 mateo45
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2011 2:21:08 PM
Yeah, there's the sense that a lot of folks have already used up most of their "backup" by now (maxed-out credit cards, sold off their "toys", borrowed from relatives, etc.), with those on the lower end "hitting bottom" first. Although the hi-tech areas still seem to be doing well, and are even hiring. And sure, most of this has to do with the economy, and especially the real estate market.
But to be fair, much of it was going on even beforehand in this state, with lotsa folks already moving to cheaper areas. So for awhile now, the coastal part of Cali has been basically becoming an area where only hi-skills, hi-education workers can afford to live there. And the current economic mess has simply accelerated that.
 mateo45
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2011 9:52:33 PM
Actually, a lot of the Cali "Okies" have been leaving and doing a "reverse migration" back to OK, AR, MO, TX, etc.! Although the "who's to blame" part is probably debatable.
 robin-hood
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2011 7:17:57 PM
News reports says Christmas buying is up, but in same breath the credit card debt is on the rise. I guess if your gone to file bankruptcy you should peg the cards 1st.
 bigpanda22
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2011 5:39:21 PM
id love to have a job ive been hunting since june of 2010 and havent had so much as a nibble on anything other then rejection letters.
 5150Rivergirl
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/16/2011 6:59:27 AM
Speaking from someone who was laid off and on unemployment for about a year, it was tough for me last year. THIS YEAR, I am feeling very blessed! Last Aug, I was able to find not just a job, but a great stable career. It is going great and I love it. Going forward, I know what its like to be strapped for cash, and as a single parent, it really weighed on me emotionally. I have refrained from malls, and have found a few things online, as well as Target, Toys R Us, etc. Ive become a smart shopper and have set a limit. I do see the economy suffering still. In my line of work, we have been loosing tenants that have been forced to shut down their small businesses. Havent been paying rent in full, falling behind. Its a tough time for everyone, so its understandable that the mall parking lots would be bare.
 Elmenreich
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2011 1:16:42 PM
The rich are getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer. The recession's over for the 1%, but the depression is ongoing for the rest of us.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/30/2011 5:53:09 PM
I feel lucky as i never been out of job my all life.. But see alot of folks lose a job and they cant get another one. Some of them go for min wage just to make ends meet.
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/30/2011 6:13:03 PM
Ive been a licensed nurse for 30 years and now they want to pay me less than what I made as a cna in high school!
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/30/2011 6:49:51 PM
Wait dont they have a shortage of nurses??? I would think a supply and demand would mean they pay you extra to keep you from moving to a diffrent hospital.
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/30/2011 10:37:52 PM
they bring in new grads and foreign nurses in for less plus all the budget cuts theyre getting rid or the seasoned nurses early retirement lay offs etc
 mateo45
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2012 10:57:36 AM
Hey, I thought you folks of the self-admitted "conservative" persuasion were all for the "Free Market"?!!
Although more seriously, I notice the ones who seem to be getting thru this better do seem to be the "entrepreneurial" types who can either find or create new opportunities. Of course that's always easier said than done!
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/8/2012 12:44:43 PM
I did have my own agency for many years but with all the red tape and such Ive downsized significantly! With state licensing involved as well as insurance up the wazoo it isnt worth it anymore with the cutbacks its basically free services your providing and with rent in l.a. not too many can stay afloat. But I still do independant contracting here and there to keep me busy. Ive been a nurse for 30 years and there isnt anything Id rather do more but I have to provide for my kids so Im starting to consider other options. I love to cook have thought of something in that line, a little botique or something who knows...
 mateo45
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2012 9:09:40 PM
Sounds like you already have the business experience and savvy, so who knows, maybe this is the time to try sumthin' new (and perhaps you've already seen a need or opportunity somewhere)!! BTW, have heard that Fed. insured small biz. loans are also easier to obtain now, too!
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/16/2012 6:25:33 PM
So let me see you didnt want to hold a fancy job. As many other people you wanted to have lots of free time to have fun... So now that its harder to get a job like that, Cause there are so many other people out there who rather live care free life as well. So the people who went to school, took chances in life to better them selves. Now when they finaly got the American dream. If you work hard you will make it... Now we should force them to pay more taxes to help out everyone else who would rather not work as hard... I hope you read the story about the tree little pigs.... Just cause someone worked hard and did make it in life it dont mean that he need to pay for everyone else out there. We dont live in communism...
I know of some folks that are around my age of mid 40s. They used to party and have fun and not worry about anything.. Now they are having hard time to pay rent.
For some folks s**t just happens, but for many others is that they never did think ahead, it was more fun to go out to clubs.. Yes i do belive that each person should be responsible with his/her dicisions. My mom always said we sleep in the bed we make. Make sure you make your bed the way you want it.
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/16/2012 7:28:37 PM
lagoodguy even those that went to college and made a nice bed are having it tough in this economy. I think most that have planned, worked hard, paid dues, live a good honest life mostly are the ones suffering today. How many lost 10's of thousands in their retirement funds etc ...100's of thousands in real estate. Then those with illness plus everything on top of all that. Seems like the shyt happens to just about everyone even the 1% is taking a beating as well.

We can be the most creative civilization til we get to city hall, all that red tape is equivelant to red tide not much can survive it.
 Aries_328
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2012 8:59:02 PM

I feel lucky as i never been out of job my all life.. But see a lot of folks lose a job and they cant get another one. Some of them go for min wage just to make ends meet.

Same here. Unfortunately nothing lasts forever. I see the signs on the wall coming my way and must get my act together. I have survived over 7 layoffs, 2 breakups, 1 merger and partridge in a pear tree. I haven't had to do a resume in over 10 years. At my current level, I am pretty nervous... and am putting it out there that my only option is to go up from where I am at and that is a pretty tall order.

Here goes nothin.... errr everything!
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/16/2012 10:49:42 PM
Hey i understand that sometimes bad things happen to good people. But it still dont make it right to make others pay for it. How many times you read about the union or employes demand soo much from the company that its just easier to close it down then keep it going. Then people complain that its hard to find a job.
Rich i know exactly what you are talking about.. Owned my own shop for 22 year .. worked for years around 60 hours each week and that was a normal week. lets not even mention the after hours to figure out some car. or the classes you take to learn more about cars that would go till after 10pm and 300 for two nights. Sold it 3 years ago and would never go back to own one again. Always said if you can run a shop and do the dignostics on todays cars you can do something better where you can more money. I did what i preached and happier now then when i owned the auto repair shop..
Guy i still dont agree with you 100%. When you say that the middle class is being punished. How does that goes with the people who do make more money?? Im sure Rich would agree with me when i say that i had lots of customers show up where the parents done real well for them selves but the kids had it easy and instead of going to school they party all the time then then when they are 40+ they still need to ask the parents for help with money.. I still say we make our own future. You can work for your self but guess what all of a sudden you dont have as much free time. But you would make your own future.
Ninja i agree with you that the red tape is the worst part of how our govrement works.. I actualy once did kick an inspector out cause he was too full of him self. He also didnt know what he was talking about. But jobs are out there, not the best paying ones or the most respected ones but they are there. Just ask Rich how many times people thought he must be stupid cause he works on cars.. TIll you give them to read some of the dignostic info for some electronics on the car. Watch there eyes glaze over.
 Aries_328
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2012 10:04:20 PM

Hey people more deserving then me are hurting even more then me.

Capitalism has hit the limit of what it can accomplish socially. Face up to it.

And stop making excuses for it and defending it to the bitter end.

Just because you had it rough doesn't mean it SHOULD or HAS to be that way.

You are 32 and you still don't get it? It's not capitalism that’s at fault. It’s the opposition to it. Do you even live in this state? Reached its limit... you don't even know what capitalism means how can you assume to know that it has reached its limit.

That whole thought you had about 'just because you had it rough doesn't mean it should or has to be that way is total crap. Are you kidding? Yes it is rough. In fact it is almost easier now than it has ever been before and that is good.... where exactly do you think the 'easier now' came from. It came from the hard ass work done by those before. You know them... the uphill both ways crowd. The ones that succeeded, opened thousands and thousands of business all over the cities here. You know... the ones that you avoid on your way to walmart... Your parents parents did well enough on hard work to get your parents a better life... Your parents probably worked pretty hard as well.

No one ever promised that it wouldn't be hard.

As for the change in the world and outsourcing and automation. Read, "The world is flat," by Thomas Friedman. There is a second edition that is on audio book that had lots of additions to keep up with the times. It was edited just prior to the collapse of 2007. It's a globalist way of thinking but it makes sense and outside of collapsing capitalism and turning inward as a very bad nationalist state and moving toward authoritarian rule it is nearly unstoppable.
Show ALL Forums  > California  > To me the recession is even worse now