Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Are there any lawyers or doctors on this site?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sersa1e
Msg: 1
Are there any lawyers or doctors on this site?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Just wondering because I was using the pof mobile app while on break and two attending physicians saw me and said online dating was inappropriate and unprofessional , and could lead to awkward situations or open you up to trouble. Dismissed it until I realized I never encountered a lawyer/cop/doctor on this site. If you behave like a normal person is it really that bad? Ex person you were talking to is now your client in real life
 Happy2Day
Msg: 2
Are there any lawyers or doctors on this site?
Posted: 11/27/2011 6:57:56 PM
I am a lawyer.

I do not care if a client stumbles across me here. I am not embarrassed to be a single professional looking for love.
 Lolita_LeBron
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/27/2011 7:03:48 PM
It is only a problem (assuming that you are in the medical profession) if you are talking about sensitive subject matter on a forum thread, that would and could be seen as a violation of HIPPA. You could also be in violation if you go out on a date and discuss privileged and private information with someone. However, what you do outside of your job is your business and no one has a right to tell you what is inappropriate and unprofessional. Just remember guidelines to protect yourself.
 modivin
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/27/2011 7:28:20 PM
You're in Med school now, correct? There are professionals on dating websites. The important thing is remembering not to date patients, which really is not that difficult to remember. Couple that with not violating any HIPAA r/r as well as keep a professional appearance.
I have met police officers, doctors, and lawyers on different sites. Sometimes we need an outlet as well and don't always have the hours to support traditional dating (meeting people in a club, gym, etc).
 rec_diver
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/27/2011 7:31:23 PM
Only nonprofessional people do online dating.

Everyone knows that.
 A_Forum_Lurker
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2011 8:31:49 PM

It is only a problem (assuming that you are in the medical profession) if you are talking about sensitive subject matter on a forum thread, that would and could be seen as a violation of HIPPA. You could also be in violation if you go out on a date and discuss privileged and private information with someone.

I am a physician… and according to HIPPA you never ever discuss patient specific information with any non-authorized entities period whether they be online or in the real world.

As long as you maintain a high degree of professionalism there should be no problem, but with that said, be very, very selective in your dating choices. Being picky may save you a world of professional headaches/drama later.

Personally, I do not use POF for dating, but I have/do use “match”. I find that in my age group on a free site like POF, there seems to be a larger amount of injured and angry people.

MAJOR RULE: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, DATE A PATIENT!!!!
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/27/2011 8:37:28 PM
two attending physicians saw me and said online dating was inappropriate and unprofessional , and could lead to awkward situations

Don't worry about those two, unless they have to evaluate you. They were likely online on this or other sites years ago, and now may just feel it is beneath them or their new-found "status".

Ask them if they volunteer anywhere like SPCA as you do, M, and where they met their wives/girlfriends..

Yes there is the full spectrum of people online these days, and depending on what your specialty is going to be, you may put too much personal info online where future patients may see some of it..

spot4username
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/27/2011 9:30:42 PM
I have dated one police officer and two attorneys who I met on this site. No doctors (of the md variety). They certainly didn't seem to associate a stigma with the site. Perhaps years ago but not any longer. This is just another iron in the fire so to speak.
 Puppydog54
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/27/2011 11:37:22 PM
I worked many years as a corrections officer in the psych / medical unit of the state prison. As long as nothing of a sensitive or confidential nature is discussed with your dates I don't see where it would cause any negative issues.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2011 1:09:04 AM
i am the Mad Doctor of Love, and this site is my waiting room/torture chamber.
 5150Rivergirl
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/28/2011 10:21:16 AM
cop/lawyer/doctor/firefighter....any civil service position are people too.

Having law enforcement background, I know a number of friends and aquaintances who use these sites. They are no different than anyone else. They are allowed to have fun as well, just as long as they conduct themselves in a mature way. Many of my facebook friends are affiliated with the PD, and the higher up's do check out their profiles/pictures and have been told not to post pic's of yourself in uniform, as the city patch is there, and you dont want to draw negative attention to your personal life (ie...a criminal who could see personal info/family)
 getanet
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/28/2011 11:29:58 AM
I certainly hope they'd say the same thing if you were on "Facebook."
The public nature of online "profiles" does open one up. If you ever posted something which could be construed as "bad judgment," I can certainly see how that could haunt you in a malpractice suit or something.

If an issue, maybe set your photos to "private" so that only people you message can see them? I've seen a number of profiles where people DO have private images and explain it is due to work sensitivities.
 Paderic
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/28/2011 11:48:33 AM
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
 trplfire39
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/28/2011 11:58:39 AM
I got an email once from a Physician, he didn't have a picutre posted. Then he stopped emailing me. Maybe he was caught by his wife...
 OyVay...
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/28/2011 1:29:31 PM
"Are there any lawyers or doctors on this site?"

Doctors not sure, hope the lawyers are back in their coffins!
 _allen_
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2011 1:57:51 PM
I've dated one Doctor and several Lawyers from POF.

To answer your question, Yes, Lawyers and Doctors are on this site.
 ohenryx
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2011 2:21:44 PM
I have met two doctors (MD's), and dated one of them for several months. I also met a judge, and two psychologists (one of whom I dated for a while).

On edit: not all from this site, but all from online dating sites....
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/28/2011 2:31:45 PM
~OP~ I've met both here on POF. Being that I work in the legal community, it's not been uncommon for me to encounter colleagues here and on other sites (when I used to use more than on site.) For someone to tell you it's unprofessional is unprofessional. Your personal life is no one's business but your own. Doctors and lawyers aren't in some elite club of their own ~ they're just regular Joe's like everyone else. (Well, except the one lawyer I briefly dated, he was a nut-case. LOL) JMO
 carelesswhisper00
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/28/2011 9:32:03 PM
I'm sure there are some doctors and lawyers on this site as well as a slew of other dating websites. They are just ordinary people outside of the profession searching for love, laughter and fun like everyone else.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/29/2011 11:26:35 AM
My dentist is on here. She is single, nice looking and doesnt have time to get out much. I see absolutely nothing wrong with her being on POF. So long as she doesnt date a patient, it is no one's business.

We each found out the other was on here because I also went to school with her receptionist/assistant...in updating my old friend about my 'love life', she told me her boss was here as well...and a few minutes later, the boss was seeing me in her office and told me she overheard my conversation with her receptionst and asked me how I like POF. We shared a few funny stories and that was that.

I dont see it as an issue at all. Professionals need love too!
 c_deacon
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2011 11:39:21 AM
I am a lawyer.....playing a doctor that has a second job as a dentist.......how is that??.........................

It does not matter your occupation, what matters will be your personality, style, and how discreet you are. When I was teaching school, I use to shake my head at some of my students that thought all teachers just lived at the school and slept in the office, changed clothes in the copy room, and never left the classrooms......

Every one of us has private lives, date, live, marry, divorce, fight, make up, make love, on and on, and if someone wants to judge you for being you......do you, should you, really care or have them in control of you and your life? I say no, and you are in charge of your own!

Now, if one wants to be trailer trash, then that will happen, no matter where they live, who they try to be, and what they want.......you can not hide your true personality and style for very long, and others will see through your facade sooner or later!!

cd..........
 Sully8545
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/29/2011 4:08:46 PM
I had a doctor email me once. No picture and when I asked for one that was the last I heard from her.
 Laha Math
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/29/2011 5:38:59 PM
Behave yourself and you won't get in trouble. Engage in online sex exchanges and they are in cyberspace forever, and can get you kicked out of the House of Representatives, the Senate, and (almost) the White House, let alone the AMA. Never underestimate the power of a hacker, nor the sheer rotten meaness. Did you know the National Security Agency scans all Internet communication? Every last bit. How far do you trust clandestine government operatives? Getting paranoid yet?
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/29/2011 8:58:43 PM
I have met a medical doctor, a psychologist, and a lawyer from online. I have also met a couple of college professors. Another man claiming to be a doctor contacted me but he was TOO weird. I have seen profiles of cops.

I am a college instructor and I have had former students contact me: I just tell them "no, thanks." They did not think it "weird" that I am on a dating site.
 HakkenKraks
Msg: 26
Posted: 11/29/2011 9:15:32 PM
I'm curious, what was the age range of the physicians who claimed it was unprofessional, and what was the context in which they 'caught' you browsing PoF?

Edit: Nevermind about the context, just re-read the post and finally caught it. Still curious about the age, though.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Are there any lawyers or doctors on this site?