Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Same city=Too close for comfort?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wooliepack
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Same city=Too close for comfort?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I live in a small-ish city of 28,000 or so, and the singles pool is pretty shallow. It's mainly a yuppie suburban commuterville. I see ladies here on POF, but can't get a response when I write, nothing new. You'd think living nearby would be a bonus, but I may be wrong! I messaged one woman and asked very casually if we're "too close for comfort", and let it go at that. She never replied. I wrote again later, and she has me blocked!
A woman who contacted me from another site apparently freaked herself out at the prospect of being almost-neighbors. She said she was afraid of what her teen son would think. We never did meet.
I did actually meet one woman who just moved here, and she's awfully sweet, very pretty, just not someone I want to date.
 ohenryx
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Same city=Too close for comfort?
Posted: 11/28/2011 8:19:10 AM
I have to say, if you're in a small town, it can be the proximity limiting your responses. From June of 2010 to June of 2011, I lived in a small town (approximately 20k). I was 30 miles from the 3rd largest metropolitan area in the USA. Women who lived in the same small town would not answer my emails. Women in other small towns (at least 10 or 15 miles away) would answer. Now that I live in Houston, proximity is a good thing. Living in a small community, it seemed to be a bad thing.
 Maleman999
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/28/2011 8:28:04 AM
I think it's an advantage to be in the same city/town-unless you're in a hillbilly location and cousins are marrying each other and you aren't sure if a person contacting you is in your family bloodline.

It's kind of a weird topic. Topics about distance are usually about long distance relationships not working out because of the distance. Are we going to need a person's exact co-ordinates before contacting to make sure we aren't too close or too far away?
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/28/2011 2:34:43 PM

She never replied. I wrote again later, and she has me blocked!

In a town of 28000!?

YIKES!!

Talk about pullin walls closer, and makin em not friendly!

Guess you're on the Hatfields bud!!

(HOLY untactful)

Just imagine how awkward it would get if you ended up being her: mechanic, or new real estate agent, or firefighter, etc etc etc.

OOOooooops.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/28/2011 3:59:21 PM
Yeah, I also say it is your profile.
Not the same town.
And generally, someone with a bad profile..... sends out lame emails also.
so work on both.

good luck.
 Debisusanne
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/28/2011 4:10:21 PM

Its NOT your location/close proximity or any of that crap.

That would make it easier.

It's you.

Have you read your own profile?

BLOCK..

I read ^^ that and went OMG.. how rude.. THEN I READ YOUR PROFILE!

haha.. YES.. go ahead and try to date 35 yr olds.. anyone older is fat .. taken.. or.. hates you.. lol
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/28/2011 4:16:35 PM

Me too

verygreeneyez
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/28/2011 5:20:31 PM

Me too

Same for me.

~OP~ It's not the distance or the closeness, it's your over-all approach. You're profile puts down women in your very own age range. And the email? "Too close for comfort?" Is creepy. Sorry ~ but if that landed in my in-box? I'd wonder just how close you are and if I've ran into you in public and didn't know it, therefore, you are sending some encrypted version of a first contact email. Visit the profile review threads and read some of the advise on first contact emails ~ if you want a chance in hell at meeting someone? You're going to have to work on you a little bit first. JMO
 Pingshooter
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2011 5:40:56 PM
Reputation precedes you?
 wooliepack
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2011 8:14:43 PM
Okay, I've been tampering with the profile, since it wasn't netting anything anyway. Maybe I'll go back more to how it was earlier.

Sure seems like anything we say can be used against us!
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/28/2011 8:34:47 PM
Sure seems like anything we say can be used against us!

You have no idea

Stray__Cat
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/29/2011 4:01:53 PM
Meg,
I don't think you need advice.
Nice profile...very nice pics...
You should do well in here.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/29/2011 5:10:53 PM
lol OP

you're 58 and talking about YUPpies ???

some chicks think dudes who are more than say 5-10 years their elder that they are NOT interested at all..

20 years their elder ?

probably thinking he's a creepo...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Same city=Too close for comfort?