Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Torch for creme brûlée      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 curlygrl
Msg: 1
Torch for creme brûléePage 1 of 1    
I just scored a torch over the weekend.

I would like to try this but I'm afraid I'm
going to set my apartment on fire.

First- any recipes for this?
Second- can I use splenda- I low carb.
Third- how do I get the fire to go out -
I'm a marlboro menthol smoker-
blowing it out may be a bit of a problem.

I'm thinking I'm either going to catch on fire
or stop breathing.

I need some help.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Torch for creme brûlée
Posted: 11/28/2011 3:48:22 AM
As much as Splenda says it matches sugar, it doesn't. I've tried substituting it in a few recipes and have been sorely disappointed.

Since the torch is used to carmelize the tops of the creme brûlée, I can't see that using Splenda in it's place would work.

I use this recipe when I make mine...

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/recipe.html?dishid=6793

As for getting the fire out, turn off the propane. Your desserts should not catch fire when doing this, and if they do, then have a flat plate, cutting board or anything close by to smother the fire.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Torch for creme brûlée
Posted: 11/28/2011 3:29:42 PM
You should never really have any fire on top of a creme brulee when using a propane torch. I hope it's one of the self igniting torches...if you have the old style where you have to open a valve and then light it with a match or "striker" tool it will be more dangerous. The new style that light themselves shut themselves off as soon as you let them go, so if you drop it or want to set it down..it will instantly go off. Play around with it..they aren't terribly complicated or dangerous. Wave your hand across the flame quickly to see how hot it is at what distance from the tip. You'll get the hang of it quickly. And no, Splenda will not work for carmelizing...
 curlygrl
Msg: 4
Torch for creme brûlée
Posted: 11/28/2011 4:23:07 PM
Thank you- all of you.

It's the new kind. I stick the canister in it
and it has this blue flame.

I'm just paranoid about the fire. I could not
pass it up. I love anything kitchen gadget.

Thank you Lint for the recipe link also.

I'm going to try it this weekend.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Torch for creme brûlée