Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Sci-Fi Movies Usually Suck      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NonRushingDad
Msg: 1
Sci-Fi Movies Usually SuckPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I admit, I'm spoiled. I grew up reading Heinlein, Lovecraft, Farmer, Bova, Ellison...

I just can't watch the made for tv movies on Sci-Fi channel. To many cheap special effects and vapid stories....

Oh vey...just once I'd like to see a well thought out story like the original version of Solaris where the special fx were mitigated to tell a decent story.

Of my rant for the evening.
 CountIbli
Msg: 2
Sci-Fi Movies Usually Suck
Posted: 11/28/2011 9:07:39 PM
I love bad movies (Plan 9 from Outer Space and Robot Monster are my two favorite movies) but the original Sci-Fi Channels movies are just unwatchable. The emphasis lately has been on big special effects and lots of action (let's face it, Matrix II was just one long fight scene without a beginning or end). Plot is minimal and cliche (see Avatar for an excellent example). Seems like we don't get any good movies unless they're based on a Phillip K D i c k novel.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/28/2011 10:06:53 PM
I'm kind of terrified of the Ender's Game movie. It's a really good book, and it's all about character. I'm just worried that they'll sacrifice the best aspect of the book for splashy effects.
 colt8301
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/29/2011 3:38:08 AM

I just can't watch the made for tv movies on Sci-Fi channel. To many cheap special effects and vapid stories....

Lol, there's the problem right there. Most of the time you see "made for tv" normally it is "rushed" and not really thought and probably the first draft is the draft they are going to shoot, in the vein of Ed Wood.

On a off topic note, I can't wait for "Prometheus" and "The Pacific Rim"
 JustDukky
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/29/2011 8:45:53 AM
I'm still waiting for "Childhood's End" to be made into a movie, but my guess is that hell will be freezing over first.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/29/2011 7:55:32 PM
There was talk a while ago of making Rendezvous with Rama into a movie. Now that I would LOOOVE to see!

And I have to admit, I was fairly impressed with the most recent Dune and Children of Dune movies. I'm a bit disappointed that they're making Dune AGAIN! That David Lynch POS was....well....
 scorpiomover
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2011 1:30:37 PM

I'm a bit disappointed that they're making Dune AGAIN! That David Lynch POS was....well....
The Alan Smithee version is one that I've watched dozens of times. Never gets old.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/30/2011 5:07:10 PM
I have not read Discworld, but the two made for TV series (that I saw on Netflix) were excellent.
 Toothy Black Lion
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/1/2011 6:28:36 AM
Wasn't Moon made by David Bowie's kid? If so, that would help explain the quality.
 MikeWM
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2011 6:36:39 PM

It all comes down to the mighty buck $$$$$$

Not convinced that totally true

The first few episodes of babylon 5 were done on low cost amiga computers and still turned out special effects far in excess of the $1 million per episode star trek series that was running at the time

I think as somebody else pointed out its got far more to do with rushing than money

With some ingenuity, imagination and creativity some really good effects can be achieved. But with crap actors and trying to rush out an inferior product to cash in on a bigger budget version that will be out a month or two later then mediocre is the best theyre going to achieve
 vlad dracul
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2011 4:22:27 AM
watching dr who as a bairn was always a must.

the cybermen and the daleks

cheap made but full of ideas and futuristic computers
that would be in use in the years of the 2000's (they were like the
side of a house lol)

all the great doctors

but tv sci fi is rotten just now (occasionally watch primeval)

i think a lot of modern sci fi relies too much on effects rather than story
ridley scotts making another bladerunner but it will have to be damn good to
top the original
 timetogo3223
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/2/2011 4:46:28 AM
Don't know if it qualifies as "real Sci-Fi", but "Super 8" was good. The steroid version of ET in the movie wasn't the real star, though I did notice that he does now have a POF profile. Hey, space monsters need love too. That was a little bit of the theme of the movie.
 trinity818
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2011 4:59:27 AM
I'm a big sci-fi fan. I agree that most of the made for tv movies on the Sci-Fi channel aren't great. But I do enjoy some of their series like Eureka and Warehouse 13.
 torgo70
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2011 6:01:04 AM
If we're just talking more current scifi, there's still good films being made: Inception, Another Earth, Moon, District 9, Children Of Men, Sunshine, Deja Vu , Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, The Man from Earth, A Scanner Darkly, Timecrimes, I even enjoyed the new Star Trek.

I'm curious about the upcoming adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Princess Of Mars "John Carter"
 torgo70
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2011 6:10:51 AM

I love bad movies (Plan 9 from Outer Space and Robot Monster are my two favorite movies)

Same here. I'm a huge fan of most of the Mad Max/Escape From New York rip-offs that came out in the 80's...especially the Italian ones....2019: After The Fall Of New York is classic.
 CountIbli
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/2/2011 6:49:58 PM
By the way how many have seen The Call of Cthulhu? It's one of the few, perhaps only, good adaptations of an H. P. Lovecraft story (I've enjoyed a couple others but they weren't very faithful adaptations). Though made in 2005 it's a silent black and white movie.
 lotustemple
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/2/2011 9:19:16 PM
It's because most of those great sci-fi books take a lot of intelligence to enjoy. Think about how much real physics and engineering Heinlein teaches there reader through his characters. But if you leave that out, the books are pretty bland. He was a genius for including just right amount of science for his readers.

For movies though, they want to appeal to a mass audience of millions who don't want to think, so they dumb them down and replace thinking with pretty explosions.

Yep for some god forsaken reason, producers have chosen to dumb down sci-fi ....the basturds. Netflix doesn't have a sci-fi section, it's called the sci-fi/fanasty genre. The fvcking audacity to group the two together....inexcusable!!!! We need a sci-fi revolution!
 fishpizza
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2011 11:46:08 PM
my sister starred in two of those syfi channel movies. one sucked and the other was pretty good. the sucky one did have c thomas howell in it tho :)
 torgo70
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2011 6:33:27 AM

By the way how many have seen The Call of Cthulhu? It's one of the few, perhaps only, good adaptations of an H. P. Lovecraft story (I've enjoyed a couple others but they weren't very faithful adaptations). Though made in 2005 it's a silent black and white movie.

Yep, it's excellent.

We may or may not get to see Guillermo del Toro's At The Mountain Of Madness adaptation.

A more recent film I enjoyed that had fun with the HP Lovegraft mythos was The Last Lovecraft: Relic of Cthulhu....where Shaun Of The Dead was made by fans of zombie flicks, Last Lovecraft was made by Lovecraft fans.
 Viper1E
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/4/2011 10:26:30 AM

Oh vey...just once I'd like to see a well thought out story like the original version of Solaris where the special fx were mitigated to tell a decent story.

Cast A Deadly Spell

Google is your friend..
 semicivilized
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2011 8:56:14 PM
The Sci Fi channel actually did do a few miniseries well (yes their movies all suck).

I loved the remake of Battlestar Galactica for the most part. Didn't like the last season as much but really enjoyed it (like the original still too). Didn't get into Caprica.

I thought Dune and Children of Dune were decent. Still some disappointments there but I really enjoyed them both.

I also enjoyed the movie Dreamcatcher- until I read the book.

Thats about it for Sci Fi- but I love Lord of the Rings (books and movie) and also Song of Ice and Fire (books and HBOs Miniseries). Sure more fantasy than sci fi but still good.
 CountIbli
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/5/2011 11:57:40 AM
Song of Fire and Ice on HBO has been quite good. Unfortunately the first season was so short that they had to fly through everything to make the first book fit into one season. Hopefully they can slow things down starting next season and really develop the plot and characters.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Sci-Fi Movies Usually Suck