Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Rap Music and White Men      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 torgo70
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Rap Music and White MenPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
People look for racism in everything...I find that more of a "red flag" than the people being labeled racist.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 5
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 11/29/2011 6:23:05 PM
i think you're looking for racism.

get your head out of your ass.

unlike opera, bagpipe and accordion, rap is a popular form of music. so is country. so is metal.

i see lots of women that say they don't like country or metal. what ridiculous conclusion can you come up with from that?

rap sucks whether it's kid rock or eminem or snoop.

k.w.
rap sucks
 DLKool
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 11/29/2011 9:09:20 PM
While it is just my opinion, I agree with Iceman and a few others who suggest you are digging a little too deep on this one. As someone who loves music in all genres (including rap, opera and country), though not ALL of the music within any one genre, I think it is just musical preference and has little to do with much else for most people (there are always some exceptions). Let's not read racism into everything, because there is far too much around that indicates it is alive and thriving without us helping it along!
 briabear19
Msg: 17
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 12/2/2011 1:26:40 PM
i don't see it i know tons of white guys who love rap who want to rap its weird but not racist lots of people don't like a certain type of music i guess some just try to make it a lil more clear that they don't like something
 2findU
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 12/4/2011 9:48:31 AM
Rap, I just HATE that stuff. However, I did not state that on my profile. Its makes more sense and sounds more positive to say what you like, not what you don't like.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 12/5/2011 4:47:48 PM
OP,
What makes you think rap is black?
I think that's the most racist thing I've heard all day
 DomG79
Msg: 23
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 12/25/2011 4:44:45 AM

Ganksta NIP,
Cage (try Agent Orange)
Jedi Mind Tricks
Necro
Immortal Technique
Geto Boys (Mug Shots lp)
Gravediggaz

I'm a big fan of Immortal Technique and Vinnie Paz of Jedi Mind Tricks. Funny that you mention the rappers you did in relation to the thread, as Cage and Necro are both white. Vinnie Paz from Jedi Mind Tricks is an Italian Muslim, and Immortal Technique is of Peruvian descent.

Whether you like the artists or not, that's your personal preference, as I think everyone you mentioned is better than anyone on the radio. All and all, I enjoyed reading your post, as you seem knowledgeable of many types of music.

As far as racist music goes, if that's how they feel, let them speak their mind. Why make it illegal? To protect them from pissing someone off? They could cross a line and attract attention from federal law enforcement, but that is a risk they are willing to take.

I try to stay open to all genres of music. I can truly appreciate the art and the emotion that goes into it. I have my preferences like everyone else, but there is probably music out there that I like that I wouldn't have thought that I liked.
 DomG79
Msg: 24
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 12/25/2011 4:46:37 AM

In this GI's opinion, if you do not like rap its because you are listening to mainstream garbage like Lil' Wayne and his ilk. I defy any one to not like Eyedea and Abilities, Sage Francis, Atmosphere, and Immortal Technique.

Yep!
 jblack187
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 12/26/2011 11:58:42 AM
I don't think it's racist. Rap and Country music are just really polarizing, with rap being more polarizing than country. You have to consider that there's more rap stereotypes than just "black people do it". It's generally violent, promotes drug use, objectifies women, and endorses criminal activity. Rap is my favorite genre (it's also the type of music that I do), but I totally understand why some people hate it (though I will get fired up quickly if someone tries to tell me rappers have no talent). Besides, a white guy is considered by many to be the best rapper alive. So again, I don't think it's racist. And I would also like to add that I see it in a lot of women's profiles too.

EDIT: By the way, I would like to mention that I die a little inside every time I hear somebody say that white people invented rap, and then try to show off some old country song as "proof". No, no they didn't. There's a lot more to rap than just talking/singing fast. I've had people try to tell me that "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" is rap, I've had people try to tell me that Toby Keith raps sometimes...that's stupid. That's like me saying that Lady Gaga does Opera because she sings...
 Kohmelo
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 12/26/2011 7:35:06 PM

By the way, I would like to mention that I die a little inside every time I hear somebody say that white people invented rap, and then try to show off some old country song as "proof". No, no they didn't. There's a lot more to rap than just talking/singing fast.

Music has been progressing in different directions in different parts of the world for as long as man has been here. To make a fair determination of where any genre of music came from and who created it, look to the earliest artists and see who influenced them. It is ultimately the influences of the first artists that determine the lineage

For example, look up Afrika Bambaataa. He's considered to be one of the godfathers of rap. He was inspired by a Japanese group (Yellow Magic Orchestra) and borrowed some keyboard hooks from a German group (Kraftwerk). 2 white American provided the original "beat box". While Afrika pulled it all together, it was a collective effort.

Regardless of who invented it, calling rap "black" is racial profiling
 Kohmelo
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 12/26/2011 8:06:54 PM

Or giving credit where credit is due?

If you want to take that from of mind, please look up at your nearest lightbulb and call it white.
Then look at your telephone and do the same thing.

Then let's change the credits on your favorite movie to:
White
White
Black
Asian
White
Jewish
Hispanic
White
White
Black
Asian
Jewish

Or if you want to give the credit to it's due, credit the actual pioneers and their influences rather than their race
 Kohmelo
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 12/26/2011 9:05:50 PM
My point is that calling rap "black" is racial profiling.

(Most of) The the people that started rap are black, I see it called "black"
(Most of) The people that started rap were American, why don't you call rap American?
(Most of) The people that started rap were from New York, why don't you call rap New Yorkanese?
(Most of) The people that started rap were men, why don't you call it male?

Why don't you credit the men as people rather than just saying "yeah, some black guys did it"?
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 32
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 12/27/2011 11:23:59 AM

White men who say: "I hate that rap hip-hop shit"......

........might be musicians or fans of real music that have no issues with race but have an issue with the dumbed down mentality that society has in accepting this boring form of music.

k.w.
musician
 Kohmelo
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 12/27/2011 12:10:04 PM

........might be musicians or fans of real music that have no issues with race but have an issue with the dumbed down mentality that society has in accepting this boring form of music.

Is is a dumbed down mentality that is required to broaden one's horizons with various forms of music... or should we all just listen to country-infused-rock&roll-garage-bands?
 Kohmelo
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 12/27/2011 1:04:44 PM

racial profiling? is that like calling a spade a spade?

We need all the suits to play.
But if the Jack of Spades is trump in a game of Eucher, should the 3 of spades (sitting in the deck of un-used cards) claim an achievement?

Further, the assumption that all people of a given race have the same outlook, likes, expected actions etc is like assuming that the 3 of spades is the same as the jack.
When the above situation is reversed and the 3 does something stupid, the jack then gets lumped in with the 3.

The original post was about white men who say they dislike rap being racist. My intent on posting in this thread is to point out that the original post is racist in itself.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 1/1/2012 1:46:16 PM
I haven’t read every response yet but I think music preference has nothing to do with racism.
I don’t even know who I would be racist against for disliking heavy metal and most country.

I think when you click with someone it doesn’t matter what music you listen to. Sometimes you even learn to like a genre because of your partner.

PS: I must share something with the hip hop/rap lovers as I’m hooked on this artist. I can’t stop playing it. I feel so sorry for my neighbors. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYW17u0JzXs

HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 1/1/2012 9:13:43 PM
Just to clarify, just because I like hip hop and dislike metal and most country doesn’t mean I prefer black men over white, yellow, green and blue. That said, I cannot see myself with a Harley Davidson guy or Scottish man who dresses in a skirt... but of course there will be a special connection with someone who can appreciate the music that moves me regardless of his ethnicity. :)
 Kohmelo
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 2/17/2012 5:35:39 PM

Ok, if we have now established that all waspy 40-60 y.o. men from the suburbs hate rap, why bother putting that in your profiles? Can it not just be a given?

What I don't like is autotune.

Way to generalize!
It absolutely blows my mind that you would sit there, in front of your computer and pick out the demographic that is guilty of racism...

Seriously... do you own a mirror????
Go look in it. You will see a hypocrite.

:D
have a nice day
 Socalguy1962
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 3/6/2012 8:56:47 AM
I've seen the same with women saying everything "except Rap". Not liking a genre of music doesn't mean that person is racist.

I don't like Country music (except Johnny Cash), so does that mean i don't like white men or women in the 18 to 65 age group who live in rural areas? I don't think so. I don't have anything against Gregorian monks, but that doesn't mean i enjoy listening to Gregorian chants. I do like some Rap, older stuff like N.W.A. and Public Enemy. Since i only like some Rap, according to the OP would that make me partially racist?

terrence77
Msg: 51
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 5/24/2012 3:00:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vagvlZqjMz0
 lookingforsophia
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 5/29/2012 10:35:19 AM
Best stay at HoJo
Playin ya radio
Eat'n a HoHo
Dance'n AuGoGo

Lookin to cast playa's for a Polka Square Dance Opera entitled

Reggae Rocks
 YayForBeer
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 5/29/2012 1:53:00 PM
I like some Rap.. mostly older rap from when I was younger that was more like Party music .. I have a buddy that listens to Immortal Technique and while I really enjoy the music itself, and his rapping skills - I feel like an ass when I listen to it, because I had a pretty good life, childhood, and currently a good career and place to live - and he's going on and on about these atrocities... it makes me feel like what he's rapping about is my fault.

But otherwise I just don't really listen to most new rap because I've been a guitar player for 20 years, and there's not much guitar to be found in it (though there is some). I love just about any other kind of music - folk, jazz, death metal, rock, alternative, you name it. And Rap is great, for what it is, but it doesn't take long for me to tire of just the beats and samples, and want to listen to something with some guitar in it. (Other than bass)

Whatever moves you, and resonates in your heart - shouldn't matter what others think.
 Acehonestlady
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 5/30/2012 11:08:00 AM
It could be racism or it simply could be that it is a rather in yer face style. It might be that white people that have said they don't like rap have been called racist or they have felt that assumption has been silently made of them and they are saying it as if they are saying 'I'm not backing down to these assummptions' That's just a stab at it if it is not because they are racist.

It could be that there is not a type of music that is particuarly known as 'white music' like Rap is rightly or wrongly known as 'black music' and some white people might feel that their identity is not allowed to be expressed due to overuse of political correctnesss and the use of Rap as a vehicle to promote political correctnesss and a more diverse society.

I have heard people say Rap is is immature (that thought might/might not be racially motivated). So maybe the men are saying 'I am too mature for that'. They might not think to say the same of other music younger people tend to listen to that does not appear to be so in yer face.

Rap can often be found as annoying because of the talky style rather than singy style.

I quite like some rap (though I'm not a fan) but I do find a lot of it sounds annoying (I have sensory intergration disorder). I often (not always) find it annoying when you have song with a beautiful melody and singer (that is often black) with a beautiful voice and then you get some rapper come in suddenly with a whiney voice, whatever the raper's race.

It could also be, perhaps, that some men do say 'exept, Opera' 'exept, County and Western' but that is not noticed by the same people that notice 'exept rap' when reading profiles as it is not considered to be racist not to like it. I see quite a lot of men saying they don't like Opera.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 56
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 5/30/2012 4:19:48 PM
You ARE aware that black people make music other than rap, right OP?
 Acehonestlady
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Rap Music and White Men
Posted: 5/31/2012 4:21:41 AM

Don't stress yourself out over it. If anything, ask them why they dislike it (if that is what is turning you off bout them) and see how they respond. If they can't respond why, then maybe you can accuse them of simply being ignorant. But if they present a fair argument, which is very possible, let them think what they think and like what they like.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

But to people that assume the worse when they don't get a response - just bear in mind if people don't respond it 'might' be they are doing other things or don't want contact with you for whatever reason.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Rap Music and White Men