Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > the fine line between worthless and priceless      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 abelian
Msg: 2
the fine line between worthless and pricelessPage 1 of 1    
Because you want something you can't have.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 5
the fine line between worthless and priceless
Posted: 11/30/2011 10:17:54 AM
OP - she doesnt' love you....

move on...

quit wasting your time thinking that girl actually still wants you as her bf...
 HakkenKraks
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/30/2011 10:18:47 AM
If this really happens in real life, then there are only two reasons I can see for it. The first is that you've just seen you're previous interest in them validated; people frequently assign value to both things and other people based to some degree on other people's valuation of them. The second (really, an extension of the first) is that you've just seen your ex happy without you; you don't really want them back, you're just being forced to consider the possibility that you were never as valuable to them as you thought, and, therefore, potentially less valuable overall.
 _shakti_
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/30/2011 10:32:37 AM
Abelian:
Because you want something you can't have.
A rare and shocking moment, lol.. but I agree.
 laskoboo
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2011 10:32:54 AM
I used to maybe feel that way when younger but when I broke up with my ex.. he found someone pretty quick. I KNEW she had no idea as to his true self, so I almost kinda felt sorry for her.
They were only together a short time.
 StraylightRunn
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/30/2011 10:37:20 AM
DUMP HER AND MOVE ON!!! SHE'S AWFUL FOR YOU!!!
 femaleconnection
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/30/2011 10:45:20 AM
People who are truly confident in thier choices dont go through this...I see this as a sign of not being emotionally mature/secure in one self.

People who only want what they cannot have are pretty destructive, in my opinion.

Hopefully you dont act on it.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2011 12:44:09 PM
Are you just kicking anthills here? You keep posting general questions, and claim not to care about the answers. I personally don't care for that, but if course I'm just an old guy who likes REAL things to deal with.

As to your actual question, in case you actually DO care, the answer is, that people do it because it's basic logic.

You discard something, because you think it's worthless. It can be a person, it can be an inanimate object. You see someone else scoop them/it up, and they look excited to find it/her, and if you have ANY brains at all, you will wonder if you overlooked something in the object/person, and that there WAS value there.

The difference between the more experienced and thoughtful people, and the ones who panic and run back and try to grab the discarded one back, is that those of us who HAVE been around the block a few times, know that WE can have no further use for someone or something, without that person or thing actually being without value to anyone at all.

So we are calm, and often relieved, when the person we left, finds favor elsewhere.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/30/2011 1:48:11 PM

Not speaking for myself, but....

You break up with someone, completley sure that you want nothing to do with them.
You're fed up. The'yre nothing. They're worthless. They try to hang on to you, you shun any advance to reconcile.

So they move on.

Lo and behold you see someone else taking interest in them, and like clockwork, you start second guessing your decision to let them go.

why?

When I'm done with them - I'm done in the sense of dating them (they may stay on speed dial while we're both single for an encounter once in a while) so I don't get why others taking interest in them would make much difference. It hasn't happened to me but I've seen others go through this. Kinda silly. I've only gone through this with someone I didn't really want to end it with cause I was into them but something got in the way (bad timing, someone moved, one or both too busy, etc).

I guess for the smaller minded something is only worth something when someone else wants it. Ever see two toddlers or two dogs play this out with things like bones or toys? The "I want what I can't have until I get it" thing is just in the DNA of some for whatever reason.
 pretzelman60
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/30/2011 4:14:12 PM
there is no fine line between priceless and worthless! There is a vast chasm between the two. It may appear so in your own mind, though. Tell the "other person" since you say it isn't you, to make up their mind. It isn't hard to make a choice...if it is, take two salt tablets and march on!

JMO
 4ms4me
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2011 4:20:35 PM
People who are truly confident in thier choices dont go through this...I see this as a sign of not being emotionally mature/secure in one self.

Yup, have to agree with this. I've never wanted someone back just because I saw them with a new gal. Actually, I've never wanted anyone back once we were done.

vvvv Well, swimming away till one'of'em comes back towing a child support order ... :)
 Walts
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/30/2011 4:20:47 PM
When I release my fishies I like watching them swim away,free to do what they are suppose to do,which doesn't include me,,,,,the fisherman.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > the fine line between worthless and priceless