Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Favorite Christmas Recipes      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Moonchild51
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Favorite Christmas RecipesPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
All too soon, Christmas is right around the corner my friends! I thought this would be a perfect time for us all to share our "specialty" Christmas recipes..you know, the ones we have made for years. I will post a couple of mine later, but can't wait to see what you all have!!!
 Moonchild51
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Favorite Christmas Recipes
Posted: 12/6/2011 7:50:07 AM
I have made these over the years but added ground beef to the pork as well so guess you can't call em pork pies! lol...this year, I may add not only the potato but a bit of carrot as well. May family loves these!!! Thanks Savant!
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2011 8:44:20 AM
Cinnamon rolls

3/8 cup milk (warmed so it is steaming, but not bubbling)
3/8 cup warm water
4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons instant active dry yeast

Add all the ingredients in the bread pan of bread machine – liquid . Use the bread dough setting – when the dough is ready, lightly oil a large cookie sheet and roll the dough out evenly. Let rest for ten minutes.

Filling:

¼ c butter softened
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
4 tablespoons firmly-packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

Mix it all together and spread out evenly on rested dough.

Roll dough into a log loosely pinching the seams to seal.

Brush with melted butter so it’s easier to pull the cinnamon rolls apart as they have baked. With a knife, lightly mark roll into 1 1/2-inch section. Slide a 12-inch piece of dental floss or heavy thread underneath. By bringing the ends of the floss up and criss-crossing them at the top of each mark, you can cut through the roll by pulling the strings in opposite directions. Place cut side up in prepared pan, flattening them slightly.

Since I make these for Christmas breakfast, I now place saran wrap over the pan and place the entire amount in the refrigerator. The next morning, I remove the pan from the fridge and remove the saran wrap, cover with a clean dish towel and let them rise for 30 to 45 minutes until they’ve doubled in size from the original.

Cook in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for ten minutes and then spread the rolls with frosting while they are still warm.

Frosting:

2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 tablespoons hot water

In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Add hot water gradually, stirring just enough to give it a thick spreading consistency.

Serve with lots and lots of fresh milk…
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2011 1:26:55 PM
Not sure why I make this only at Christmas over the holidays, but banana cocoa.

I have a nifty little machine called a cocomotion that whips and froths milk and cocoa to a wonderfully creamy and chocolatey consistency. So the recipe goes... make the hot chocolate...

Rim a festive mug with banana rum, then with coarse sugar. Fill with an ounce or so of the banana rum, top with the hot chocolate, swirl with whipping cream on top and even sprinkle with chocolate shavings.

Enjoy... this is an absolutely decadent and delicious drink.
 curlygrl
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/6/2011 3:50:08 PM
Oh! I am deffinately doing the cinnamon
rolls for Christmas morning!

I will pig out!

I'm going to brew some starbucks Christmas
blend and all will be well in vivie world!

Thank you lint. I can refrigerate them and
make them the night before. Awesome.

Have a great holiday.
 caddyman101
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2011 11:06:04 AM
I like to start drinking as soon as I start to cook. A drinking cook = drucken bird. I start with coffee, crown royal, and irish cream. Don't waste money on bailey's. Make your own irish cream + it a good gift idea. Simply mix irish whiskey with heavy cream. Half whiskey and half heavy cream. I can only drink a couple before i get jittery.
 raxarsr
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2011 8:46:35 AM
mincemeat pie of course

this makes a lot.....but it cans and freezes well.......course......it dont stay around too long......moonie....you'll love it

4 pounds venison, elk, or beef
Water
2 1/2 cups suet, finely chopped or grated*
7 1/2 cups chopped tart apples
3 cups liquid (liquid from meat of your choice it was cooked in)
5 cups granulated sugar
3 cups apple cider
1 cup molasses
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3 cups raisins
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons ground allspice
2 tablespoons ground nutmeg
Juice of 2 lemons
Juice of 2 oranges
1 cup brandy or bourbon or applejack

*Suet is firm beef fat. You need to ask your butcher for this.

Preparation:

Trim fat from meat of your choice.

In a large heavy pan over medium heat, place meat; cover with water and simmer until the meat is tender. Remove from heat and refrigerate meat in the cooking liquid overnight.

Remove from refrigerator and remove meat from liquid. Remove all fat from top of liquid; reserve liquid. Separate meat from bones, discard bones. Chop cooked meat into small cubes.

In a large pot, combine meat cubes, suet, apples, reserved liquid, sugar, apple cider, molasses, cider vinegar, raisins, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, lemon juice, and orange juice; simmer for 2 hours. remove from heat. Add brandy or sherry and mix together.

Refrigerate or pack in hot sterile jars and seal. May also be stored in the freezer.

to bake into a pie.........simply put the filling into a pie crust.....cover and seal the top crust.......cut a few slits........brush with egg and bake till the crust is done........

its great hot , warm or cold.............serve hot with vanilla ice cream
 Molly Maude
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2012 9:15:59 PM
wish I'd seen Landra's recipe for her cracker brittle LAST year when she posted it!
wow ... sounds great ... thankfully, I've seen it this year in time ... thanks !!!

my body can't handle wheat but I've discovered some wonderful crackers made
with rice flour, NUTS and potato starch ... they're yummy and should be absolutely
wonderful in this recipe!
 Moonchild51
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2012 1:29:51 PM
Me too Miss Molly! I have been looking for this recipe but hard to look for something when you don't know what it's called! lol...I will be doing up a few batches of this one I think!
 MsMicki
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2012 7:03:48 PM
^^ I do that exact recipe.....but with crunched up potato chips......
very addicting!!
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/10/2012 12:13:17 AM
1 bag popcorn twists
1/2 lb butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
1: Pour the popcorn twists into a large roaster pan.
2: In a 2 quart saucepan, cook tog butter, brown sugar and corn syrup for about 2 minutes. Add the baking soda, which will foam, so this is the reason for the larger saucepan. Allow the foam to cook down slightly, then pour over the popcorn twists, stirring well.
3: Place into a 250 degF oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and pour onto wax paper, allowing to cool slightly, then break apart.

you didn't by a bag of something you didn't want to eat for THAT did you? take a pic of the recipe with your cell phone maybe. just an idea.

OR......use them in the recipe. they're actually really good. with the nuts you add it'll be even better. raisins and chocolate chips can work too.

k.w.
yum
 MsMicki
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2012 7:34:39 AM
WTH is a popcorn twist??
 Life_Is_Better
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/10/2012 9:18:33 AM
Toffee Drops (or Cornflake cookies)

5 McIntosh Toffee Bars
2 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons butter
Melt in double boiler.

Mix in 1/2 cup coconut
and 2 1/2 cups cornflakes

Drop by spoonful on a piece of wax paper. Decorate with a piece of cherry.

As a kid I devoured these. The problem is, I can no longer find McIntosh Toffee bars in the stores. Are they still
available?
 Meeting_At_The_Crossroads
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/11/2012 3:18:32 PM
Those cornflake cookies sound great. I would like to try them but can not find those McIntosh toffee bars. Has anyone seen them for sale??
 Moonchild51
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2012 4:21:34 PM
I should check our bulk food stores for the toffee. I have not seen it sold in variety stores at all like it used to be. Great idea Mr. S!
 afitnessmodel
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/12/2012 10:31:26 AM
Landra2~ I went out to the store today & got everything to make your Cracker Brittle...I bought almonds too! I'll let you know when I make them...they sound so yummy... :o)
 FairOaksChick
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/12/2012 5:36:10 PM
So far, I'm liking the Irish whiskey and heavy cream the best.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2012 6:04:17 PM
I'm excited about what I'm making as Christmas gifts this year ... I bought the "makins" for
Landra's "Cracker Brittle" today ... I've bought Christmas tins for those I'm shipping goodies
to and plan to include this ... I got sliced almonds cuz I thought they'd be pretty ...

Office Depot sells these great plastic shipping envelopes ... the envelopes are expensive but,
since they weigh nothing, shipping charges are low ...

I'm also sending fudge which I make most years ... and nut and fruit brittle which I send most
years ... I'm making a wheat-free rum fruit cake this year and will send LITTLE bits of that as
it's still in the experimental stage and may not turn out well ... I'm also sending Texas Baby's
instant tea mix from another thread ... and "Snowmen's Poop" as well ... I'm including recipes
for EVERYTHING ... including for Play Doh ...

I'm very pleased with my varied choices, thanks to Plenty of Fish cooks! the only one I'm a
bit nervous about is the rum fruit cake as I'm not actually using a recipe ... THANKS for
helping make Christmas brighter this year!

I may have mentioned that I've sent my 13 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren individual
"books" with two stories I've written, starring them! no recipe for that, though!
 MsMicki
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2012 9:59:34 PM
<< is wondering how she can get on Molly's list!!!

My last final for this semester is tomorrow......then the baking shall commence!!
 texasbaby
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2012 10:26:23 PM
Thanks for including my idea to your gift baskets Molly, they sound so wonderful!
My shopping is done, the tree is up and I'm also ready to begin making goodies! This forum is such a rich source of great recipes, I've found several I want to try and yes, cracker brittle will be one of them. Thank you all for sharing!

tb
 Moonchild51
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2012 6:16:43 AM
I made the cracker brittle last nite using slivered almonds and OMG it was fantastic. Decadent with little effort and I love those kinds of recipes! lol
 afitnessmodel
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/13/2012 12:26:42 PM
I made the Cracker Brittle today. Oh~it is so "yummy"... very rich but very good... yum!!! :o)
 Molly Maude
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2014 9:01:32 PM
ok ... per request ... bumping this thread up so everyone can find Landra's
Cracker Brittle ... post #11 dated 12/7/11 ... it's a favorite at my house ... I've
already made a batch of it to go to Oklahoma, Oregon and out to the Majave
for relatives ... only 2 or 3 more batches to go ...

also sending Chex Mix, too ... and Cheaters' Fudge ...
 CharminC
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/15/2014 10:04:48 PM
Seriously Maude, try it with graham crackers!

Drizzle chocolate and sprinkle with nuts for a more English Toffee bar tastes.
It's heavenly!!!
 Moonchild51
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2014 7:09:45 AM
Use graham crackers Charminc? OMG, thanks for posting this. I am about to do some baking up (am way behind this year), and totally forgot the cracker recipe. Now that I am reminded, I will use graham crackers as opposed to saltines. Thanks a bunch honey.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Favorite Christmas Recipes