Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dealing with someone who is virtually illiterate      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 2
Dealing with someone who is virtually illiteratePage 1 of 1    

I’d appreciate folks some ideas on how to help this gent.

Tell him you will go on a Walkabout over Xmas and bring him some easy books to help him read.. It's plain he likes you and you ought to meet him IRL and see just what RL qualities he actually does have..
IF you don't choose to go meet him, then let him get attached to someone else who will...
 laskoboo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Dealing with someone who is virtually illiterate
Posted: 12/9/2011 6:38:33 PM
Find him an adult literacy class.................. and give him the info. Let him work on his own issue. You can lead a horse to water and he can persue it if he wants to, not your job to teach or fix him.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/9/2011 7:27:44 PM

Another idea is good quality pictures in his profile. They will make up for mistakes in the written word.

No, they won't--not for a woman who is literate--nor should someone else correct his emails before they are sent.

His best options are adult literacy classes or a tutor as others have suggested.
 Thnuggaboo
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2011 11:15:42 PM
What about him possibly getting a scribe software program like Dragon or something so that he would be able to speak what he wants and it transcribes it into a written format?? Just an idea...
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2011 1:34:29 PM

I’d appreciate folks some ideas on how to help this gent.
Pretty much just as you are doing... encourage him to read anything he can get his hands on.

I grew up in a family of voracious readers, we would converge on the second hand book store en masse every so often and dig through mountains of novels and comics for things to read.

I'm putting together a bit of a care package of magazines, comics and novels to bring to the hospital so he can pass the time. He's 73 and still enjoys comic books... go figure...
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2011 1:18:22 PM

Has it occurred to you even a little that if his lack of literacy was as much of a problem for him as it is to you, he would have done something to educate himself?
Considering the OP is in correspondence with the gentleman, I can't see how you managed to jump to this conclusion.

As a person that does not have the time or patience to deal with someone that is illiterate, I'd say that what the OP is doing is worthy of accolade, not censure. It takes a generous person to reach out their hand and offer assistance to another person... especially when that person is a virtual stranger.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dealing with someone who is virtually illiterate