Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Ex wife takes my last name....10 years after the divorce?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lovelikewinter
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Ex wife takes my last name....10 years after the divorce?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hell no.... sounds fishy.
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 3
Ex wife takes my last name....10 years after the divorce?
Posted: 12/13/2011 9:09:18 PM
Definitely not normal in this universe; perhaps she's from another universe where it's normal. More than odd, that's for sure.

A conundrum.
 AintNoDeal
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/13/2011 9:28:50 PM
I don't think that a FACEBOOK profile is a legal document.
I don't think they have a rule against using a former lover's name in your user ID

Did she link to your profile as her "boyfriend" or "husband" ???

Only one thing to do -- write on her wall, that legally, the name is NOT CORRECT and you'd appreciate it if she didn't use it.
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/13/2011 9:30:29 PM
If she pays to have her name changed, then yes, it's legally her's to use.
 quarked
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2011 10:24:28 PM
I think it's internet paranoia. Your ex doesn't want to give her real name on the internet, so she's uses yours, so her friends know it's her, but others don't.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/14/2011 4:04:52 AM
Anyone can legally call themselves anything they like - just a quick trip into a lawyer for a change of name deed and a small fee and that's it. That's my understanding anyway.

It does seem odd though especially as she did not take your surname during the marriage.

I did take my ex husband's surname and when we divorced, I decided to keep it. Mainly because the children have his last name and so the three of us are still the xxx family. Part of the reason was the sheer hassle of changing all documentation too.

I would be a little miffed too as it seems childish to make the change such a long time after the relationship is finished but I think there is little you can do. If she's playing games of some sort, don't let her know she got a rise out of you otherwise in some twisted way she might feel she was successful in whatever the heck her objective was.

It can be satisfying to respond with no response as it defeats the purpose of the game player. Makes all their effort show up as being petty and childish.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/14/2011 6:06:33 AM
Maybe she put it on so that she could be found by individuals who knew her at that time.

I know my FB page has both my maiden name and my married name.

Just in case people from the past want to find me.
 DSMTraveler
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/14/2011 6:58:43 AM
Funny - how she doesn't have a name of her own. Maybe her father took back his name from her and well, gee, yours was the only other choice. *this is sarcasm*

Anyway, if you're curious enough, you can always ask her.
 WinterIsComing80
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/14/2011 7:02:05 AM
I'd check your credit report and make sure she isn't using you as a secret bank.
 abelian
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/14/2011 8:20:52 AM
Sounds like she didn't want to use her real name and just picked the first last name that came to mind. Whether or not that ought to be of some concern would depend on the context. If there's no potential for any negative fallout on you from whatever she's doing, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd check your credit report and make sure she isn't using you as a secret bank.

Since apparently she never took his last name, I would think that trying to use his last name in that way would not stand a chance of working since there never was a wife with that legal name that could tie her to him.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/14/2011 9:50:16 AM
Maybe she's trying to connect with people she knew while she was married to you and they might know your last name. Who knows why she's doing it. Maybe your last name sounds better and she just realized it. Maybe she has warrants under her maiden name so she is using your surname to avoid getting caught. Maybe she is opening credit accounts under your last name in hopes that you'll be responsible for paying the balance. Maybe she's in the Witness Protection Program and the U.S. Marshalls just so happened to give her your last name coincidentally. Maybe she is trying to reconnect with you.

Why don't you message her on FB and ask her and put an end to the wondering cuz I am out of possibilities! LOL

On my FB page I have my maiden last name and my current last name. Since I've had six last names (so far), I chose those two. I didn't want to list them all. Maybe I should. I'll have to consider that. I'd definitely leave out married name #3 and possibly #2 also. But the rest would be okay. Hmmmmm...
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Ex wife takes my last name....10 years after the divorce?