Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Good bye Hitch! Your voice of reason will be missed.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rpl55
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Good bye Hitch! Your voice of reason will be missed.Page 1 of 1    
thebigflick said:

I (and my awesome fiancee) were questioning the definition of "Intelligence"

irregulator, always ready with a kind word, said:

You should.

So should you. You might also look up "humility," "kindness," and "unwarranted arrogance."

60to70 said:

Christopher knew how to talk very well and think with his thoughts being arrows that did not always hit the truth in any way, shape or form ...as so many believed.

irregulator responded with ... the mocking laughter emoticon. How very articulate. So, you believe Hitchens' "arrows" always "hit the truth?" Really? Then why say this?

There were many things he espoused that I didn't agree with, …

Are you saying that you don't agree with the truth? Or are just trying to find any excuse to demean somebody you dislike by pretending to disagree?

60to70 said:

He was like a fire that needed a generous bit of water to teach him a limit to what ran through his mind and came out of his mouth.

irregulator responded:

You do support torture!

Oops! Sorry …I forgot; you don't think waterboarding IS torture.

This non sequitur (look it up) is not only off topic and utterly irrelevant, it shows a (not suprising) lack of basic reading comprehension. How does quenching a fire relate to waterboarding in a healthy mind? Hint --> it doesn't, but it apparently does give you yet another excuse to demean somebody you dislike.

60to70 said:

I touched a nerve. Really.

irregulator responded:

Yes, this is what trolls do.

Look out - here come the ad hominems (look it up). Where I come from, that's what the loser of the argument resorts to. Sorry. I guess that means - you lose.

As for her so-called "trolling" - I call b.s. She is in no way, shape, or form, attempting to troll the thread. She was pointing out that Hitchens was a less than perfect "voice of reason." She is absolutely correct, and entitled to her on topic opinion in any case. And, best of all - she's not acting like an obnoxious, self-deluded bully.

For any adults reading, here is an excerpt from a recent Glenn Greenwald column about Hitchens. Greenwald is the most intellectually courageous, honest, and rigorous political commentator in America today, I.M.O.

http://www.salon.com/writer/glenn_greenwald/

But for the public at large, at least those who knew of him, Hitchens was an extremely controversial, polarizing figure. And particularly over the last decade, he expressed views — not ancillary to his writings but central to them — that were nothing short of repellent.

Corey Robin wrote that “on the announcement of his death, I think it’s fair to allow Christopher Hitchens to do the things he loved to do most: speak for himself,” and then assembled two representative passages from Hitchens’ post-9/11 writings. In the first, Hitchens celebrated the ability of cluster bombs to penetrate through a Koran that a Muslim may be carrying in his coat pocket (“those steel pellets will go straight through somebody and out the other side and through somebody else. So they won’t be able to say, ‘Ah, I was bearing a Koran over my heart and guess what, the missile stopped halfway through.’ No way, ’cause it’ll go straight through that as well. They’ll be dead, in other words”), and in the second, Hitchens explained that his reaction to the 9/11 attack was “exhilaration” because it would unleash an exciting, sustained war against what he came addictively to call “Islamofascism”: “I realized that if the battle went on until the last day of my life, I would never get bored in prosecuting it to the utmost.”

Exhilaration over impending horror - the mass murder of men, women, and children. What a gutless, evil **stard. We should be glad he's gone: I certainly am - and good riddance. If I ever see his grave, I'll have my dog leave an offering on his grave stone for him.

Hitchens (lying) said he drinks "because it makes other people less boring. I have a great terror of being bored." Isn't he just so precious? How does he manage to suffer us poor fools? Could there be a more self-serving statement? A more honest version of his statement would be "because it makes other people less scary. I have a great terror they will discover how inadequate I am." What a small, contemptible creature he was.

I consider Hitchens a competent defender of atheism (BFD), but nothing more. He is certainly not a person worthy of any adulation. In the end, despite all the self-serving praise being heaped on him, Hitchens is nothing but a phony, mean-spirited, cowardly little **** with a big vocabulary.

Seems there's a lot of that going around.

RPL
 Jan Sobieski
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Good bye Hitch! Your voice of reason will be missed.
Posted: 12/23/2011 3:20:51 AM
No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee. - John Donne

His views were vulgar; he was well read. He seemed to me a gentleman, and this I respect utmost. The world is surely poorer for his passing.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Good bye Hitch! Your voice of reason will be missed.