Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > perfect prime rib      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 2
view profile
History
perfect prime ribPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
...I just wanted to know where you found a prime rib at 4.99/lb.?

....I'm pretty sure it's going for around 9.00 here. Maybe I should go cruise some meat counters tonight...LOL

...Sounds good though. I'm a big fan of rosemary..so I probably would rub the outside of the roast with some olive oil to make the rosemary stick..and proceed pretty much the same way you did.
 MsMicki
Msg: 7
view profile
History
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/22/2011 9:14:11 PM
Must be having the same sale here!
I got mine for the same price.....but I needed a whole one to feed my
family for Christmas!

Here is my recipe.......
insert garlic cloves into roast and then
mix A-1 and worcestshire and rub all over the meat....
then coat with 1 package of dry Au Jus mix
slice one onion and lay over top or roast
Let sit in fridge for 2 days, but bring to room tempature before cooking
Cook at 400 degrees for 30 minutes , then at 250 degrees for about 2 more hours ( or till desired doneness)

add some water to pan dripping sand bring to a boil for some very tasty Au Jus
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 8
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/22/2011 11:12:51 PM
tenderizer on a prime rib?

is it a bad cut?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 11
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/23/2011 7:46:21 AM
Two questions.

1: Do you brown the outside of the meat first?

2: Do you have any idea where that beef came from or what it ate while it was alive?

Because cheap meat, is usually just that, cheap meat.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 13
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/23/2011 8:25:46 AM

in any event it was damn tasty

No doubt, but I still find putting a sear on the outside first helps to create anther layer of flavors.

Then low and slow to help break down those connective tissues.
 MsMicki
Msg: 14
view profile
History
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/23/2011 8:37:37 AM
well as IS stated......that is what the high heat at first does.....
In all my years working in restaurants, I have never pan seared a prime rib nor have
I seen anyone else do it....and quite frankly......have never needed it to be done...
 dsljim
Msg: 15
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/23/2011 8:55:20 AM
A
while back I'm driving past the local feed mill and the haz-mat team is there, looks like a pretty big deal, so later that night I asked my friend that works there what happened. Well it was a line from a feed supplement tank broke, apparently this stuffs pretty important ( or cheap ) when making cow feed, but you don't want to touch it or even breathe the fumes, they vacuumed out the drains and removed the contaminated soil. Sounds like pretty good stuff!
If you see white feed trucks with a red tinge to them, that's the dried chicken blood they're mixing in.
Liquid animal fat from rendering plant ( no that's not where the fat from healthy animals goes, that goes to the chocolate factory so it melts in your mouth ,not in your hand )
Contaminated tang, out of date candy bars ( cows do get to eat FDA approved fat, it just has to get blended with other stuff and sit around until it's unfit to eat first )
I'm old enuf to remember the original owner of that mill going to the farms with his truck mounted grinder and grinding your feed that you grew and the only tank on there was a molasses tank. Yup back when you weren't scared to taste the fresh feed coming off the truck!
it's a real shame you can't find good prime rib in a can!!!
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 16
view profile
History
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/23/2011 10:42:46 AM
dsljim...I wish you would ask your friend exactly what the feed supplement was that the HazMat team was cleaning up. See, in all fairness, if you spill a large quantity of milk these days..a HazMat team has to make a determination if it's an issue or not. In the feed industry, they use quite a few "surplus" feeds to make things more palatable or increase the energy content of the feed. A perfect example is a local feed company that uses out of date Archway cookies in their feed, and bread that is returned from stores that hasn't sold before the expiration date. We really do have a fairly clean feed supply....compared to the old days when we fed the hogs whatever happened to be scraped off the dinner plates in your home. If you think about it...we wouldn't be able to cook pork to only 145 degrees these days if the feed supply hasn't been improved enough to negate the chance of hogs developing trichinosis. I don't think feeding chicken blood to a hog is such an issue...they have digestive systems that are very similar to yours and mine...and we both eat rare beef or blood sausage...let alone sushi that hasn't been cooked at all. We criticize the industry for a lot of things...and a lot of times it's necessary, but all in all, I'd rather pick up a pork chop in the US, than any other country in the world.
 dsljim
Msg: 17
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/23/2011 3:20:51 PM
Alemet hormone , brown liquid, Burns your skin, eats into aluminum and turns it brown. Reminds me of premerge the spray that was OK to use but it would stain your skin for the summer,then it made a great defoliant during a war.
The trailer loads of chicken blood is going into dairy rations,back when dairy cows roamed the local pastures I don't remember them killing and eating other animals to get their blood,bones,and fat.
I remember every cow having a name and a calf that was born on your birthday would probably live to see your children, now 5 is a really old cow.
Today I took my pork roast to 190° it's an old thermometer and Arnold never got his shots or any medicated feed. Put enuf medication in the feed you could probably eat your meat raw.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 18
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/23/2011 6:08:45 PM

i guess no one told you that a little flavor enhancer is ok huh kid?...
read the part where i said "prime rib"...a prime rib is a good cut of meat...not a bad one

i figured that since you're a "professional cook" you'd know that that the cut of meat doesn't tell you what that quality of the meat is.

there's usually a big difference between the prime rib you get at walmart and the one you get from a butcher.

so i guess you need to add msg which essentially, is salt.

k.w.
sterling silver
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 20
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/23/2011 7:38:18 PM
hey paul.
the reason for starting at a high heat is to "sear" the outside. the searing is done first in order to seal in the juices.

i've never heard of ending a roast with high heat but i don't really see the harm in doing it that way.

k.w.
sticking with high/low
 dsljim
Msg: 22
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/23/2011 8:12:27 PM
@ Paul + Kid just last week I watched a show showing a big Midwest steakhouse stores their cooked meat at135° sealed in bags in 135° water, when an order comes in they finish / sear it at high heat. At 135° with no air you can store meat safely. Like that little BBQ joint in Lockhart preserving meat 100 years before refrigeration.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 23
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/23/2011 9:16:47 PM
asking questions and posting real info is arrogant?

maybe you should do some homework and i wouldn't bust your chops so much.

dsljim! have you got a link to any of that info? i've never heard of that. sounds interesting.

k.w.
needs a steak now
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 25
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/23/2011 9:41:43 PM
that would be fantastic! i love your confidence!

i hope pizza would be on the menu.

not that it matters.

hehe

k.w.
i'm arrogant?
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 27
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/23/2011 10:16:56 PM
i don't know if that's the same application or not. maybe it is. not enough info to really make a call on that one.

but i do know of at least one way of storing meat deprived of oxygen.

what is it?

k.w.
tick tock
 MsMicki
Msg: 28
view profile
History
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/23/2011 10:27:57 PM
the Prime Rib I bought for $4.99 a pound was USDA Prime Rib.....
not sure why that is hard to comprehend.....but as a major superstore all across the midwest.....I'm sure they can buy in bulk and sell it at the price.....as SI states, as a draw into their store.
They had the same cut for the same price last year too.....
I bought 3, sliced one into steaks and 1 for the Holidays and one that I slow cooked
on the grill for a summer party.
Beautiful marblization and a very tender roast when cooked properly.

I was lucky enough to get to tour the kitchens of a famous restaurant in Vegas once.
They age their prime ribs for 2 - 3 weeks before cooking, till it literally was growing hair!
They shave off the hair and cook it up! Best damn prime rib I've ever ate!
Best horseradish sauce on it too......wish I could have talked them out of the recipe!
 dsljim
Msg: 31
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/24/2011 10:02:18 AM
@ kid
YouTube : Texas BBQ History Kreuz Market. Six pits 1200# meat in each one.
I didn't save that meat cooking video,but it showed all different ways to cook meat, from around the world.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 33
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/25/2011 1:49:12 PM
grate fresh horseradish as fine as you can. let it sit for an hour with some salt on it. it helps draw out some of the flavor. add as much as you want to a mix of 50% sour cream and 50% miracle whip. add some dill or parsley and worcestershire to taste.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 34
view profile
History
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/25/2011 3:09:22 PM
...Did a 5.72 lb. prime rib today...started it at 500 degrees in the convection oven, had it in a great rack that held it up off the roaster pan, and got a terrific sear around the roast. But I definitely needed all the exhaust fans going in the house..the fat dripping in the pan was making it tough to see in the kitchen, LOL. Opened the door at 20 minutes...turned the heat down to 300, and left it for another 2 hours. Got it to 150 degrees (my mother isn't particularly fond of really rare beef) and had an awesome medium well done sides with medium-medium rare center pieces. I was in a food coma most of the afternoon...but it was worth it.. ;)
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 35
view profile
History
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/25/2011 3:35:13 PM
...The longer horseradish sets after you grind it, the mellower it will become. For instance, you probably need to pickle it with vinegar the way you described...but don't try to use it for about 30 days after refrigerating it. It might even take 3 months before it's mellowed to your taste. I like mixing pickled ground horseradish with just some mayonaisse for using on hot beef sandwiches...but I use a recipe similar to Kid's on corned beef for St. Patrick's day. It's pretty awesome on corned beef...
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 36
view profile
History
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/25/2011 4:06:08 PM
...I also did a search for Alimet. It appears it is an amino acid feed supplement...which is corrosive. Sort of the way the juice of a lemon or orange is corrosive. The feed supplement is a combination of water, sodium (salt) and methionine, which is an essential amino acid. It was first introduced in 1979..and is one of the most widely used feed supplements in the world. Do some Googling of your own...on both Alimet...and Methionine. I'm not sure you'll be convinced it's harmless, but you will definitely have more information on what your chickens and hogs are being fed.
 dsljim
Msg: 37
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/26/2011 9:19:26 AM
My perfect prime rib is in my oven, I got a Nicole holding the cleanout door ajar, mixing maple and hickory for fire. I'm on my way to dig up some fresh horseradish, my chickens love the greens and the peelings. I'm gonna put it thru my old hand crank Enterprise juicer ( screw type) they say the longer it's exposed to the air the hotter it gets. I'll chuck the liquid and dehydrate the rest, then rehydrated it like you do wasabi . Nothng worse than the other side cooked in late January then find out your horseradish lost its kick.
The only feed my animals get is what I grow for them, sometimes what I cook for them.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 38
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/29/2011 12:08:04 PM
A place where I was a cook and chef 30 years ago marinated the Sunday brunch prime rib in 5 gallon buckets filled with beef base and a few cups Knoor Swiss Aromat Seasonings for three days and then roasted the usual way. I was told the Knoor product was essentially msg. I never got to try it. Forget why, probably didn't work on Sundays but I was always curious about it since it got rave reviews and haven't tried to cook one that way myself.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 39
view profile
History
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/29/2011 3:50:39 PM
...Just a thought, but wouldn't leaving them set in the Knoor product tend to approximate "brining" them? I mean, MSG is sort of a salt....so wouldn't it make sense it acts the same way?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 40
perfect prime rib
Posted: 12/29/2011 3:56:42 PM

...but wouldn't leaving them set in the Knoor product tend to approximate "brining" them? I mean, MSG is sort of a salt....so wouldn't it make sense it acts the same way?

We have five basic tastes: sweet, bitterness, sour, salty, and umami.

Umami simulates your protein receptors and many have theories that MSG is basically the synthetic form of unmami.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > perfect prime rib