Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Please help me better myself....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JustDukky
Msg: 2
Please help me better myself....Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
The most educated people I've met are self-educated. I'm not dissing scholastic achievement by saying that, because most PhDs get their degree not so much because they wanted one as because they wanted to learn all they could about their passion. Since it was that motivation that drove them to the point that they made an accepted contribution to their field, I consider them self-educated. There are however, many village idiots running around with degrees (I cite "Dubya" as an example) because their parents arranged for them.

That said, one needs no degree to be self-educated. All that is required is a passion for learning. It is unfortunate that today, there is no degree for "renaissance man." It has been about 400 years since anyone could possibly know "everything about everything" and ever growing specialization has been the order of the day such that today nobody can even know everything about his own field.

I think one learns best whatever subject interests him most at that point in time. If curiosity leads into another subject, it may be time to move on. For instance, a love of applied math could lead to a study of pure mathematics, which could lead to a study of logic, leading to curiosity about its development and into history, etc. etc. This is hardly the way to get a degree, but it can (if you are diligent) give you a well rounded education and may point you toward your greatest passion in which to study for a degree if you ever decide you want one.

Don't worry too much about your "official" qualifications; while generally a good indicator, they are not proof of great intellect, as the Story of university dropout Christopher Langan will show:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Langan

I'm not going to tell you what to read or where you should start; I think you are the best one to determine that. All I'll recommend are things you probably already know:
1) Life itself is a learning experience
2) Never let a day go by without learning something new.
3) Don't stop learning until you stop breathing.
4) Turn off that damn TV...It'll rot your brain!
5) Booze kills brain cells. If you're going to be like me, make sure you have plenty in reserve.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 3
Please help me better myself....
Posted: 12/24/2011 9:12:24 AM
Education is a life long process. Schooling provides the construct by which one is educated but it is still up to the individual to undertake this mission. There are many pple who have 'educated' themselves informally and are just as capable as anyone who has had formal schooling. The one person that comes to mind who elevated himself was Don King (boxing promoter), and did so while he was in jail. There are many others. Likewise, there are many pple within the confines of colleges or universities who are very narrow minded or narrow focused. However, in this society, proof of formal education/training is what will enable you to climb up the proverbial social ladder.

The internet is great tool to gain knowledge (which is something pple in my age group didn't have in our youth), but you've got to proceed with caution because there is a lot of mis-information out there.

The one thing you need to do is ask for sources and references on what ever data that is being presented to you as a (presumed) fact. You also need to know the precepts of logical formulations/deduction.

good luck!
 A_Gent
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/24/2011 10:53:08 AM
http://arthursclassicnovels.com/wyndham/chocky10.html, chpt 11.

'But intelligent life is rare... very rare indeed... the rarest thing in creation...'

'But the most precious...'

'For intelligent life is the only thing that gives meaning to the universe. It is a holy thing, to be fostered and treasured.'

'Therefore, the support of all intelligent forms is a sacred duty. Even the merest spark of reason must be fanned in the hope of a flame. Frustrated intelligence must have its bonds broken. Narrow-channelled intelligence must be given the power to widen out. High intelligence must be learned from.

OP..

"I'm reluctant to read "dummy" guides as I'm skeptical about how informative they will actually be; if you really reccommend [sic] dummy guides then please articulately assure me they're worth the read."

Me...

I've found them to be the most informative yet concise books of a huge variety of subjects.

Written by experts in their field, yet readable for the dummy in all of us.

Discover magazine... Easy read and good to keep up with new thoughts in the sciences.

Off you go now.. feed your emerging intellect.

http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/76.htm ...

FLINT: Gentlemen, may I present Rayna.
KIRK: I thought you lived alone.
FLINT: I meant there are no others besides my family. Doctor McCoy. Mister Spock.
RAYNA: Mister Spock, I do hope we can find a moment to discuss field density and its relationship to gravity phenomena.
SPOCK: Indeed. I would appreciate such a talk. It is an interest of mine.
FLINT: Captain Kirk.
RAYNA: Captain Kirk.
KIRK: Rayna.
FLINT: Her parents were killed in an accident while in my employ. Before dying, they placed their infant, Rayna Kapec, in my custody. I have raised and educated her.
MCCOY: With most impressive results, sir. What else interests you besides gravity phenomena, Rayna?
RAYNA: Everything. Less than that is betrayal of the intellect.

Question for the reader.. if you got this far.... What is more important, imagination, or knowledge?
 A_Gent
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/24/2011 6:03:38 PM
"And I wish to formally study philosophy and psychology because I believe that having a formal qualification in that will help boost my credentials as a counsellor."

The best thing a formal education can do for you is help you come to know what you don't know.

Bon chance.
 nipoleon
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2011 7:34:23 PM
How to better yourself ?

Find that thing which you do best, better than anyone else, then give it away for free.
If you can do that you will be better than almost every other human on Earth.
Heaven shines on those things you do for the love of doing them, without compensation.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/26/2011 5:28:22 AM
You should probably get your high school equivalency. There's a little red line under that word, so clearly I've spelled it wrong or made it up. Anyway, I think it's important to open some doors for education.

One of the really cool things I've come across is that next spring MIT will be offering free online courses. As far as getting college credits you can't beat free, and it's really hard to beat MIT.
 aremeself
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2011 10:23:45 PM
everything you read will be written with bias.

so learn what it means to think for yourself.

it doesn't come naturally.

oh, what's your real motive for learning?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/28/2011 5:08:18 PM

Evolution: You'd definitely be well to check out 'Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanings of Life', by Daniel C. Dennett. Or, if that proves to be a bit too complicated, you might want to try one of the recent popularizations by Richard Dawkins and Jerry Coyne, 'The Greatest Show on Earth', and 'Why Evolution is True', respectively.

I would also add:

Dan Dennett: Cute, sexy, sweet, funny

Darwin's “strange inversion of reasoning

Why are babies cute? Why is cake sweet? Philosopher Dan Dennett has answers you wouldn't expect, as he shares evolution's counterintuitive reasoning on cute, sweet and sexy things (plus a new theory from Matthew Hurley on why jokes are funny).

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_dennett_cute_sexy_sweet_funny.html
 aremeself
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2011 9:33:51 PM
so then, we wouldn't want to recommend any non materialistic views, now would we?

I didn't either.

and what's with the evolutionary pushing psychology anyways????

if evolution is EMPIRICALLY proven one day, [non changing ideas], I'm sure we will all hear about it, and intelligent creationist will stop debunking it.

by the way, I'm sure the op will study what he will feel is important as he comes across new info and hopefully thinks for himself.

most people that think they think for themselves, don't.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/30/2011 12:32:29 AM
Here's some free advice in answer to your question:

Get rid of your computer.

(That'll be two cents please)
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2011 5:35:38 AM
^^^^You had better pay the man....he did answer your question, and with the best advice that's been given you so far.

It doesn't take a genius to see that you are far more interested in getting attention, than really learning anything. As the vessel of wisdom you've claimed to be on other threads, it somehow escapes you that spending all your time starting threads and hanging out on the forums all day, smoking your share of weed... is not indicative of someone who really wants to better themselves or learn anything.....you just like talking about it, and that's easier and more fun for you than actually taking any steps toward the real thing.

With the time you've spent here, you could have spent with your nose in a few books instead...but you didn't.

Reminds me of the fat lady across the street that constantly talks of her future diet, while stuffing her face with cheese cake.

The first step in self improvement, is evaluating yourself. Once it becomes clear to you that being admired for good intentions, is more important to you than the goal....you might have a starting point.

If you want to be taken seriously, come back and tell us you've started spending your cannabis budget on books......until then, you are just wasting your time and everyone elses.

You are under arrest by the bullsh*t police.....you get one phone call to your mum.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/31/2011 9:49:10 AM
I'm loving 2nd hand, there, I think I might have to change my profile settings so I can ask him out on a coffee date. I'm a bit of a grumpy ol' coot myself but I still have plenty of dumb-ass kid left in me too.

Having said that, I think he was a tad harsh on the OP. I like that you're asking questions like this.

My earlier comment to you about getting rid of your computer was an answer to the plea in the subject line of this thread, "Please help me better myself...". My help was to offer the advice, "Get rid of your computer".

I meant it. Computers are handy for certain things but in general we would all be better off without them, in my opinion. I feel as though people are less connected every day. Where once there were smiling faces passing me by in the street, there are now anonymous zombies shuffling along with their noses buried in some social media device. "I iz on da bus were R U at"? is not what I consider bettering oneself.

I'm talking to myself as much as I am to anyone else out there reading this. I'm right here with you, NOT living my life. On the other hand, I'm disabled so my computer can be a sort of lifeline to the very un "real world" of the internet. That doesn't change the fact that I don't like what computers are doing to human society.
 veevee
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/31/2011 9:59:03 AM
^^^^You had better pay the man....he did answer your question, and with the best advice that's been given you so far.

It doesn't take a genius to see that you are far more interested in getting attention, than really learning anything. As the vessel of wisdom you've claimed to be on other threads, it somehow escapes you that spending all your time starting threads and hanging out on the forums all day, smoking your share of weed... is not indicative of someone who really wants to better themselves or learn anything.....you just like talking about it, and that's easier and more fun for you than actually taking any steps toward the real thing.

With the time you've spent here, you could have spent with your nose in a few books instead...but you didn't.

Reminds me of the fat lady across the street that constantly talks of her future diet, while stuffing her face with cheese cake.

The first step in self improvement, is evaluating yourself. Once it becomes clear to you that being admired for good intentions, is more important to you than the goal....you might have a starting point.

If you want to be taken seriously, come back and tell us you've started spending your cannabis budget on books......until then, you are just wasting your time and everyone elses.

You are under arrest by the bullsh*t police.....you get one phone call to your mum.

You are a straight shooter. I also agree.

Each time I visit this forum I'm reminded that he has claimed it as his own - constantly bumping his own threads seeking attention. Complimenting everyone that agrees with him and belittling those that don't , either choice is a free bump. He uses words he doesn't understand when he is on the net and can look them up. I look up words all the time to be sure I'm using the right one and make plenty of mistakes. Anyone interested in learning would perform that small due diligence. Actions speak louder than words. If he wanted to learn he would be posting an awesome word each day instead of "what book should I open". I do actually have a book suggestion. 'How to Win Friends and Influence People', now I have contributed.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/31/2011 10:08:55 AM

Please help me "better" myself....

Studying other people I think can help you here:

I do most of mine by viewing documentaries with involve the mundane to the extreme, but all have one thing in common, they are about people doing what the love and the common thread I have seen is the key to anything is do it with pride, passion and above all humility.

Some of my top picks to watch would be:

Deep Water
A documentary about the disastrous 1968 round-the-world yacht race

Man on Wire
A look at tightrope walker Philippe Petit's daring, but illegal, high-wire routine performed between New York City's World Trade Center's twin towers in 1974, what some consider, "the artistic crime of the century."

Skiing Everest
Skiing Everest" is the first documentary about the small elite fraternity of high-altitude skiers who climb the highest peaks in the world in pure Alpine style..

DogTown and Z Boys
Documentary about the pioneering 1970s Zephyr skating team.

Senna
The story of the monumental life and tragic death of legendary Brazilian motor-racing Champion, Ayrton Senna.

Don't Quit Your Daydream
is the story of two life-long musicians who are in a band together called The Good Listeners. They road trip through the heart of America recording their third album. Along the way they collaborate with an offbeat cast of strangers who force them to reconsider what it means to live a life dedicated to the art of music.

High Score
Although technology continues to evolve, a group of die-hard gamers refuses to abandon the classic arcade games of yesteryear. The 80's live on for these enthusiasts, who compete against each other and history to record the world's highest scores.

American: The Bill Hicks Story
Legendary Texan outlaw comic Bill Hicks was and still is an inspiration to millions. A true product of the American dream, his rebellious and exhilarating comedy left no stone unturned and his profound observations on American life were a life changing experience for many who saw him.

Special When Lit: A Pinball Documentary
The American invention made more money than Hollywood through the 50s and 60s. Its success swept the world making it the epitome of ‘cool’. But now pinball is all but forgotten. This is the definitive story of the rise and fall of pinball as told by the fans, collectors, designers and champion players from across the globe.

League of Ordinary Gentlemen
Filmmaker Christopher Browne documents the mission of a group of middle-aged bowlers as they attempt to revitalize the sport and get the television-watching public interested in it again.

Bustin' Down the Door
This documentary tells the story of a group of Australian and South African surfers who revolutionized their sport in Hawaii during the winter of 1975.

etc.................
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/31/2011 12:35:22 PM
^^^I think the above is very bad advice. Well meant, but bad all the same.

Personally, I really like documentaries. You get a person who is passionate about a subject making a film about it and it's almost always really interesting. It's like hearing someone talk about a subject they're passionate about - it doesn't matter the subject, it's always riveting.

But the medium is a bad one for learning. I remember watching Ken Burns' Civil War series. I loved it and watched it religiously. Months later I couldn't tell you a damn thing about the Civil War - or at least very little. Our brains just don't take in information well when we're watching it passively.

Auditing classes. Reading. Going to public lectures. These are all better ways to learn.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 27
Posted: 12/31/2011 12:54:50 PM
^^^^
Good points.

I guess for me I watch them because I may be interested in the story but if you really want to solve a problem, the first step is to look for the common denominator.

So if your trying to figure out what makes people successful then best to study those individuals that have been successful.

So I watch everything with perspective in mind to understand and filter the bias.

Many of these films are what I considered some of the greatest stories of human achievement that more by luck than design where captured on film.

Like how many people know that I guy was able to not only sneak his way into the world trade center building but came up with a plan to be able to string a wire between the two towers and then got for a little walk on it, and not for the fame or the glory but only to fulfill his passion.

From this I was able to understand, is that life is about finding your passion and doing it for the pure joy of doing it.

From Deep Water the story of the first solo around the world race, you get to learn how chasing the glory for the sake of the glory can be disastrous and it is raw and real and a story that will rip your heart out.

The others feature people that do things that may not seem as exciting but what I learned was, you do not have to attempt to sail around the world alone to come home at the end of the day feeling like you did something, all you have to do is be passionate, take pride in it and have humility and you will be rewarded.

So it is less about what they say and more about the common thread within them all.

I probably should have been more clear with that, though I do agree community based social interactions would have more of a net positive affect on bettering yourself as it is a more of a multi-dimensional reward.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 1:22:53 PM
HappyMatty 88, Where's your gratitude Son, and what happened to that thick skin you were bragging about?

You came here looking to better yourself and learn something, and you got just what you were asking for.....a valuable lesson on wisdom....now you want to complain?

With your youthful enthusiasm to try your debating skills, you were watching like a hawk for someones slip to catch, and elevate yourself.....age recognizes this trait in young hawks. We also know that young hawk will fly into a window glass sooner or later.

In the "aging thread", you wasted little time correcting me, when I stated with age comes wisdom. You jumped on that with both feet, telling me how unwise I was to make that statement, and how youth like yourself could be much wiser.

Son, have you ever heard the term "all things are realitive"? I'll give you one example.
Whether you are a smart azz or a dumb azz at 20.....you will be a much WISER smart azz or dumbazz at 60......would you care to dispute that? Don't take people out of context to prove something that isn't true.....most folks with an ounce of wisdom will notice your error and intentions.

Now you are whinning that all of us have got you wrong....O.K......let's take a closer look at that statement. Very few of us are mind readers or private investigators, so the only information we have about you, is what you give us in your post and profile. So, if we've got you all wrong, maybe you shouldn't have been so generous with your info. Here is a list that you've given us with your own mouth to draw conclusions from.

1. you are 23 and enjoy smoking pot.
2. you dropped out of school.
3. you are unemployed living with mum.
4. you don't know much about academic subjects.
5. you're not sure what "physics" means.
6. you like Xbox
7. you really enjoy the forums.
8. you aren't sure of your beliefs
9. you are a wise man

Now, what eludes me is, how do you figure that #1 through #8 equals #9 ???

A mistake of youth, is not knowing how to pick your battles, or even knowing whether or not, you are self defeating. When I walked away from you on a previous thread, you were fast to point out you were the victor, and I left because I was just wrong.
You misjudged Son, you brought enough rope to hang yourself, why should I hang around to watch.....I can stop by later for the funeral.

Here are my parting thoughts, speaking about your pleasure of using drugs is little different than claiming you are a drunk. Respect or wisdom are not entitlements, they are to be earned. Contrary to what your generation believes, being a stoner is not a virtue. You should know that discussing or making that fact known in public does not show favorably on your parents or your upbringing.....the fact that your mum came on here in your defence, leads me to believe she condones and possibly participates with you in this activity....In my old fashioned mind, that's discusting.

Patting yourself on the back for only spending 50 pounds on pot in the last few months annoys me to no end. Unless I'm mistaken, you being unemployed, are recieving some sort of assistance probably provided by tax payers.....I know how I would feel, if my tax money was being used to buy drugs. It would piss me off even more knowing that you are smoking the sh*t, playing on your computer, playing Xbox, instead of looking for a damn JOB!

I'll give you credit for spotting me as an azzhole...I am one by todays standards. I also think, that fabric of society was held together by discipline, honesty and respect. These values have been traded in for political correctness, tolerance, passivness and hypocracy. As a result, I watch the world as it sinks into a sesspool of subcultures and indifference. I think there is a severe shortage of azzholes.....about fifty more in your life might have done you some good. Maybe your attitude about drugs and self improvement will change someday, when you find yourself under the knife of a stoned surgeon.

Well, that's my rant for the new year, and if anything said by an azzhole makes any change in how you view reality....I'm glad to be one. Having fun on this forum isn't nearly as important as good thump on the noggin to wake you up. Who knows what you could amount to, if you put your self admiration and distractions down and got on with the program. Think about it, the next time you hand over fifty pounds to a drug dealer instead of educational materials.....you've got some catching up to do....and it isn't going to happen here or on Xbox.

I'm going to wish you a productive New Year......do that, and the "Happy" will take care of itself.
 Enki_Ea
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:21:23 PM
Seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be opened to you. When the student is ready to learn, the Teacher will appear.
 veevee
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/1/2012 6:50:58 PM
Dude you can enjoy the forums all you want. I'm not trying to run you off. All I know is what I saw you doing - bumping your own threads instead of seeking out others. After you mentioned that you wanted to learn I expected you to be off looking for interesting threads instead of staying in your own. The people here gave you lots of references to read. Not doing that is disrespectful for the time they put into thinking about what to tell you.

Had you responded with info about a book you picked up or found online that they suggested it would have shown earnest effort. Effort is all that matters - college degrees are becoming the norm. You are still young enough to get one and still young enough to do things with your life.

I'm not your parent, I can't tell you what to do but if you ask how to stop cutting yourself with a knife in your hand I would say put down the knife before anything else. Being smart is about humility too - every time you learn something - that's proof to you that you didn't know it all. I think the only way you can know you aren't as smart as you think you are IS to constantly be absorbing things. You don't have that mentality - you keep trying to convince people that you are smart without "edumucation". Each of us is dumb when compared to someone better at a subject - to quote highlander - there can only be one.

I don't think you have to be educated to discuss philosophy- science it would help but you can still be the person on the sidelines asking people to clarify things or asking questions in supplement and contribute. You don't have to be the one with all the answers and it seems like that's what was happening was you think that you need the answers to succeed when instead you could absorb things.

Do what you like - you are still a kid to me. I know you have some growing up to do but in that weed thread you really rubbed me wrong and I saw repeat behavior here so I commented on it after someone else broke it down in a nicer way than I would have.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/1/2012 7:31:09 PM
Matty, I went to find you a quotation from Confucius and I was blown away by many of the sayings. Several of them apply to this discussion and I thought you might appreciate a few highlights:

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

He who learns but does not think, is lost! He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger.

Instead of being concerned that you have no office, be concerned to think how you may fit yourself for office. Instead of being concerned that you are not known, [be] worthy of being known.

The superior man is distressed by the limitations of his ability; he is not distressed by the fact that men do not recognize the ability that he has.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Never give a sword to a man who can't dance.

The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.

Virtuous people often revenge themselves for the constraints to which they submit by the boredom which they inspire.

You cannot open a book without learning something.

Of course, it is a bit like quoting Nostradamus, or other obvious examples where you could make an argument through other people's quotes. I hope you like them and go check out other Confucius quotes, it's eerie how appropriate much of it is even in these modern times, so unlike anything he could have ever imagined...and yet he knows us so well.

(btw, I never did find that quote I was looking for)
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2012 12:17:20 AM
^^^Son, no doubt you're stoned writing this off topic rambling, but could you mail us all a joint, so we can tolerate reading it? haha

Sense you brought up reincarnation, ever remember your name in a past life? Does Timothy Leary ring a bell ? haha
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2012 4:50:36 PM
Yeah HappyMatty, I really hate myself for trying to get kids off drugs. Those whip diciplened children of mine are both college grads with honors.....not to mention one of them won a full ride scholarship. The fatherless neighborhood kids that I teach in my wood and metal working shop and take hunting and fishing, are really upset with me for showing them other things in life beside getting stoned and running their mouth. People like you are who I struggle to keep them away from. You admitted that even your younger brother is a pothead....I wonder who influenced him?....you sure as hell didn't set an example....did you?

My parents were azzholes, my teachers were azzholes, my drill sergeant was an azzhole, my company commander was an azzhole and my boss was an azzhole...for the short time I had one before owning my own business. These people were azzholes because they would have thrown my azz out of the house, failed me, court-martialed me, and fired me If I were a pot head, drunk or didn't live up to their expectations. They kept me too damned busy to mess with drugs or alcohol, and so did my life. I've never seen too many drunks or pot heads in the winners circle. Most that I've seen don't do a damned thing but keep the doors open at rehab centers.

I love azzholes, because no matter how challenging they made life at the time, The end result is, I own a nice home, vehicles, shop, man toys, kids I can be proud of, admiration of my neighbors for taking time with their kids......and I don't owe anyone a single penny for anything, and I'm retired.......that gives me the time to try beating some sense into a smart mouth, pot head, know it all's, like you.

Prozac?.....No Son, you and your brother are not my kids....therefore I'll never need any.

A 23 yr. old stoned philosopher.....yep, the world sure needs another one of those.

I'll tell you what Mr. Happy....if you ever want to know your value in your present state of being, just imagine the rest of the world around you was doing exactly what you are doing.....not a pleasant thought....is it?
 Inicia
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/2/2012 5:50:40 PM
and if he were your son what then... You should need prozac.. because you aligned your life and beliefs in the outcome of your offspring,instead of who you were.. Very INTERSANTE.... and to imagine a whole world of any one person with both the best and the worst attributes of humanity covering the face of this earth would be horrific... Diversity is the answer to the problem some are presenting.
One needs to read nothing anyone else advises them to read. In fact, it is best to take into consideration the person suggesting material knowledge and decide if you would want to have any of their personal attributes before reading anything suggested.
By the way I don't need one more salesperson selling me s**t I don't need or have use for.;.. I will leave dennet...for those who need to be sold an answer.. and cannot find it within themselves or absorb it from their experiences in life to find the books of their own interest...
 Inicia
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/2/2012 6:30:13 PM
well Happy while I get what your saying. What do you believe. If I were you I would skip the whys because motives are not understood even by the person experiencing them . We create logical hueristics as to why we believe something. However why is not explainable for most actions and most beliefs. For the person experiencing those items only guesses after they have already assumed the action or belief. We make a best second guess as to why... the real reasons are often too difficult to express or find because we have hid them so far in our psyche to protect the self's ego.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2012 11:29:57 PM
inicia, The outcome of my children are BECAUSE of who I am.....not INSTEAD of who I am....what are you on to come up with such a ridiculous comment? With that logic, I guess any parent that has children that get through college has some sort of mental deficiency or ulterior motive...right?

And you ask "what if Happy were my son...would I take prozac"?.....not really, Mr. Happy would have been booted out on his sorry azz long before it came to that. Under my roof, there isn't going to be any tolerance for drug or alcohol abuse....by the same token, no one in my household had a need or desire for it....too busy doing constructive and rewarding things to even think about it. Healthy able bodied people that do drugs, do it because they seek escape from something....usually themselves. Ambitious people would find such behavior a severe handycap.

Tell you what lady, you keep Mr. Happy occupied for awhile...O.K. He's about got me convinced I screwed up my life by not becoming a philosophical pot head. I think I'll sell the house for a truck load of dope and join the "Happy Matty" movement.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Please help me better myself....