Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The bathroom mirror pic; why so bad?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 1
The bathroom mirror pic; why so bad?Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
You keep hearing about the: evil, disgusting, "bathroom mirror pic". The automatic red flag of all red flags; the "insta block" cardinal sin of online dating. The pukeable offence.

But........ why?

What is so bad about a bathroom miror self pic?

What turns people off so much about these pics?
 Debisusanne
Msg: 2
The bathroom mirror pic; why so bad?
Posted: 12/24/2011 7:44:05 PM
haha.. have you seen the poop in the toilet one??.. too funny!

I am not adverse to the bathroom mirror pic.. they usually are quite recent.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/24/2011 7:49:29 PM

haha.. have you seen the poop in the toilet one??..

yes, we do not wanna see "lincoln logs"
 abelian
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/24/2011 7:50:21 PM
But........ why?

I dunno. I think it's really dumb to dismiss someone for using bathroom mirror photos. I found those to be the most reliable as far as telling me what a woman looked like, whereas professionally made photos (e.g., glamour photos), never gave a very good representation of what someone looked like.

Would you want to date someone who would dismiss you because you used one of those photos? People who are looking for excuses to not meet others and go on dates, will find excuses, not matter how ridiculous. Who cares what turns them off? Just be happy they passed you by. Just remember that most people seem to find online dating difficult, so you shouldn't do what most people do.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/24/2011 7:51:18 PM
What is so bad about a bathroom miror self pic? What turns people off so much about these pics?

It is sooo common, pedestrian, so many are shirtless like a teenager posing in a mirror..

"Bathroom" reminds people that the user is just a human animal, complete with all biologically required functions, instead of a possible idealized Fabio Ken-doll fantasy lover..
May remind them of their EX when they stunk up their bathroom or when a kid barfed in the loo.. Yes bathrooms bring up many memories, very few of which may have been romantic...
 _shakti_
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/24/2011 8:05:01 PM
You gotta love the ones that are focused right on the groin and mention the word chubber.............
 twotru
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2011 8:08:55 PM
I am a fan of the bathroom pic. It's recent and it clues you in on hygiene level ;)
 Debisusanne
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/24/2011 8:09:23 PM
I had a bathroom mirror pic up.. and it made it look like i had a wedding ring on my LEFT hand.. but it was a reverse photo.. of a ring on my RIGHT hand.. :))

gosh.. how many idiots commented on that??.. lots..
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/24/2011 8:17:41 PM
You gotta love the ones that are focused right on the groin and mention the word chubber.............

I guess that tells alot about where your mind automatically goes now doesnt it. Many people would think of 'belly' and 'hips', and perhaps 'butt' when the word 'chubber' is used now wouldnt they?

Thank you for the compliment btw.

It appears that most posters share the same thoughts on this as I do then

Ooook dokers then.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/24/2011 8:32:51 PM

1. Bad lighting.
2. Blurry.
3. Glare from the reflection of the flash.
4. Can't get a good look at someone's face because of the above 3 reasons.
5. Seriously, don't you have one friend who can take a picture of you? Preferably, with a real camera, not a cell phone?

Yep!
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/24/2011 8:49:09 PM

Ew.

Yes sir it most certainly is. (That toothpaste stuff happens now n then, n then gets cleaned up)

Like Abelion said; if any woman does not want to date me, and learn more about me based on that toothpaste stuff; I'm very much ok with that.

P.s. Though my miror pic are included in the subject; I was referring to the idea of bathroom mirror pics; as a whole. If you look at many boards out here; the bathroom mirror pic (used by ANYONE) is often mentioned as a turn off or red flag.

Maybe they want everyone to use licence pics or glamour shots from Sears. (lol)

Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/24/2011 8:53:20 PM
You keep hearing about the: evil, disgusting, "bathroom mirror pic". The automatic red flag of all red flags; the "insta block" cardinal sin of online dating. The pukeable offence.

But........ why?

For the same reason as the "duck" face could be a deal breaker.

People like what they like and do not like what they do not like.

If guys could not get dates with a bathroom mirror picture there would be allot less of them being used.

I think it is accepted that you may have to take a picture of your self in a mirror.

A bathroom picture can be a revealing one, as it gives the viewer a glimpse into your world and more than not, it is not a clean place. (hinty hint hint hint)

What is so bad about a bathroom miror self pic?

See Above.

See Above.

One last word:
Windex
 Paderic
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/24/2011 8:58:39 PM
The biggest problem with a mirror picture is that it's a reverse image. Your face looks quite a bit different when it's flopped.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/24/2011 9:02:07 PM
The biggest problem with a mirror picture is that it's a reverse image. Your face looks quite a bit different when it's flopped.

Ahhhh; insightful!!

Great reply!

A bathroom picture can be a revealing one, as it gives the viewer a glimpse into your world and more than not, it is not a clean place. (hint hint hint hint)

If a lady took my offer to come out and see my world; and my home, she may be in for some nice surprises. The offer has been made to bring a gf with her, for comfort purposes.

hint, hint, hint

shrugs

P.s. I use bathroom cleaner for the bathroom; it has better disinfectants.

Bros helpin bros.....nice.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/24/2011 9:05:52 PM
If your only photo(s) are ones you took of yourself in the mirror, it suggests that you don't have even one friend in real life who has taken or would take a picture of you.

and we'd rather see pictures of you doing something more interesting

So; I should have pics of me with friends?

Maybe friends and myself swimming with a shark, or standing with someone famous? I am usually enjoying the moment when I do cool things; not taking pics so I can show (or prove to people) that I did cool things.

If a girl wants to do cool things with me; she should ask if I would like to do cool thigs or if I ever DO cool things, at very least.

That explanation you gave doesnt fly with me; it's waaayyy too assumptive and presumptuous. I dont want a girl who would make those kind of logical leaps.

With that being said; you are probably right, motivation and mind set wise

Thanks for your reply!
 windchymes
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2011 9:10:15 PM
A bathroom mirror pic might not be the ideal, but how HD does the profile pic have to be? You can get a general idea of what someone looks like, and get the detail up-close look at their pores, hair follicles and skin lesions at the first meeting.

All those photos underwater, leaning on a motorcycle, holding a dog and dancing at a wedding aren't exactly sharp and in focus either.
 Matty B Bop
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/24/2011 9:21:48 PM
I don't think the bathroom mirror pic is as bad as these:

1. Using creative angles to hide your weight
2. Showing off your tattoos
3. Showing off your animals (without you even in the photo)
4. Intense cleavage shots
5. Shirtless bathroom pics
6. Pictures that are altered/photoshopped
7. etc
 Genuine_Gentleman_For_You
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/24/2011 11:16:19 PM
I won't even talk on the cell when I'm in the bathroom. So I definitely won't take a pic in there.

But I think another really bad kind of pic are those really cheaply done glamour shot photos. I cringe when I see those. They're horrible. Do they do those at Walmart? lol.
 abelian
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/25/2011 2:03:25 AM
1. Bad lighting.
2. Blurry.
3. Glare from the reflection of the flash.
4. Can't get a good look at someone's face because of the above 3 reasons.

A photo taken by another person can suffer from those problems, so those are only objections to bad photos.

Flip it back in software. It's easy to do.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/25/2011 4:37:54 AM
we used to b!tch about people w/ no photos, noww we gotta tear apart the ones who do put up photos??? BAH HUMBUG
 cooldog65
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2011 5:15:13 AM
The only two things wrong with the bathroom picture is the presence of the phone/camera in the picture and the flash, which causes a lot of glare.
 Walts
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/25/2011 6:11:46 AM

If your only photo(s) are ones you took of yourself in the mirror, it suggests that you don't have even one friend in real life who has taken or would take a picture of you.

Quite the assumption(or using your word,,,"suggestion" ). I take a million zillion photographs over a course of the year. Pictures of everything. I don't have "one" person that I hang around with that takes pictures. None. And even if they did take pics, it would be very hard for them to be taking them of me, unless they catch up to me nappin beside a glass of whiskey.
 rec_diver
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/25/2011 7:59:21 AM
^ Walts, for some reason.. when I see a profile of an attractive woman taking a self portrait... I think to myself.. that poor girl.. home.. alone all by herself, I could really give her the affection and attention she is probably longing for.. it brings out my protective side and I just want to get to know her better.

I see a profile that shows a guy snapping his own picture and I think "what a loser".

But hey that's just me.

Arsha86 : I think people take their profiles too seriously sometimes. Chill the F out.

Yeah I can tell you don't care what sort of first impression you make. Your one and only photo appears to be of you staring at a 12" black dildo right next to your face.. and you go and apologize for it.

You make the common grammatical error confusing "your" vs "you're" yet you "want intelligent conversation", and you tell talkative bubbly women to "shut up".

Let me guess how many messages you got back from interested women in the past month.

Zero?
 Buckets_of_Sky
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/25/2011 9:09:28 AM
Bathroom pictures and why are they bad?

Not bad in a moral sense of course. But, hey are a rather good indication of a person's decorum and that is rather important to me...

so neither good nor bad but an individual preference.
 rec_diver
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/25/2011 9:29:32 AM
Arsha86 : err, frankly you demonstrate my point. Who cares if I make a mistake in my spelling?! My job and educational background are a better barometer of my intelligence and I'd hope any individual shallow enough to judge me from one or two mistakes wouldn't bother to contact me anyway.

It matters if you're looking to attract and ultimately meet quality, intelligent women.

If your standards are so low that she'll overlook blatant spelling and grammatical errors then you're right.. it won't make a bit of difference.

I prefer to aim higher.

Edited to add. I was just reading a "profile tips" thread over in the profile review section. The first two posts are written by experienced posters and give great advice.

Post 2 talks about typos and grammatical errors being nothing less than "profile suicide", for whatever that's worth.. to you, probably not much.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The bathroom mirror pic; why so bad?