Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Another profile help request please.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 you_were_warned
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Another profile help request please.Page 1 of 1    
I usually have lots to say but when it comes to writing good stuff about myself, like most folks I get brainfreeze.

I know I'm not Brad Pitt but equally hope I'm not a Freddy Kruger.

Any pointers from an onlookers perspective would be apreciated.

Pretty RI Lady
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Another profile help request please.
Posted: 12/26/2011 8:21:54 AM
I think your profile is just fine. For the dog lover, you gained points. For the non dog lover you probably lost some. But your dogs are important to you like mine are to me, so I think it was necessary to write about it. I like that the pic you took of yourself was in a room that was clean an orderly. Nothing is more of a turnoff than a messed up room.

Lotsa luck. What's a clerk for works?
 you_were_warned
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2011 9:28:01 AM
Many thanks Pretty Lady.

I know the dogs part will stop quite a few ladies replying, however it's a fact and best to get it out there straight away I thought.

Thanks for the clean room compliment (it wasn't done just for the pic lol).

...and my role as Clerk of Works is one where I oversee the quality of contractors works. Luckily I don't need to pick up the tools no more just nit pick on others

Any other comments are still actively welcomed
 You go first
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/26/2011 9:57:17 AM
The main photo should be shoulders up, big smile, no distracting background. Let someone else take the photo. More photos are always appreciated.

You missed the Interests field entirely. This is where women look after viewing the photos to get a sense of your personality/humour, and find commonalities. Use specifics instead of generics. (ie: instead of Travel, use Jamaica or whatever...)

Your stats say you have kids. Do mention how many/how old/how often. Are you open to someone with kids, too?

I'm going to add some notes I made from another thread on sending first messages. The guy had "Fishing" as an Interest:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try this template which may help you get over the 'writer's block' for first messages:

Subject line: (something other than Hi Hey or Hello) Best using a clue to something in her profile.

Message: 3-4 sentence at most, light humoured, including 1 question only so she has an easy way to respond. Sign only your first name.

Do not say:

- Hi, Hey, Hello or How are you (wastes time)
- I read your profile (should be obvious)
- you're cute/pretty/beautiful (creepy in a first message)
- let's meet up for .... (again, creepy/pushy in a first message)
- check me out and email me back ( they know what to do already)
- hope to hear from you soon (sounds like begging/desperate)

If I were writing to you, I'd use the specific interest of Fishing. Actually, that is the exact interest I used when I first wrote to my (now) husband.

Subject line: Fishing!
Message: I just learned how to fly fish, but haven't actually caught anything yet. I much prefer spincast river fishing - fewer casualties! Have you been out yet this season? YGF

See? No pressure, obviously I read your profile, open a conversation, easy way to respond if you choose.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Another profile help request please.