Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The Best Christmas Gift Ever      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 1
The Best Christmas Gift EverPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Lots of threads around about family conflict over the holiday so I thought I'd lighten things up a bit.

What's the best Christmas gift you have ever received ?

Mine - After emigrating to Canada in July 2001, I wasn't sure when I would see my parents, long-term friends, and family again. My first Christmas here was rather lonely and I was missing home.

There was a knock on the door on Boxing Day about 2pm and when I opened it, there stood my parents. I didn't know they were coming and when I had spoken to them on the telephone Christmas morning, they hadn't said a word. I remember grabbing hold of them and immediately bursting into tears.

Unbeatable.
 veevee
Msg: 2
The Best Christmas Gift Ever
Posted: 12/26/2011 9:37:57 AM
When I was younger I got "And Justice for All"(Metallica) on a tape.
I had listened to this thing repeatedly at a friends house and pretty much begged for it that year.

We always had the gifts out under the tree a good two weeks before the event.
I'm not proud to say it but I found that tape amongst the gifts... cut the scotch tape carefully- unpacked it - listened to it a few times then put it back before the unwrapping day.

It was, in truth, my best gift because I went that far for it. I've had better gifts in cost or overall usefullness but that one I really wanted.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/26/2011 9:55:57 AM
That's a tuffy for me this year, as my emotions are all over the place.

On Christmas Eve I opened my youngest son's present ...

A book called "Find your Happiness".

I think I'll go run the bath, make me a Chai Tea Frappiccino, take my book and crawl in.
 laskoboo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2011 9:57:19 AM
Guess best gift ever was this year, meeting my sweet heart and marrying him. He is a true gift to me and makes my life a wonderful thing despite some recent health issues I've had...........
Never thought I would meet someone so great, esp at my age... but I'm told this sometimes does happen !
 DrummingNut
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/27/2011 6:56:33 AM
I've had many "bests".

But the first one that sprung to mind when I read the title here
was a set of GOOD bongos when I was 16-ish... something I hoped for but didn't expect!
I was thrilled!

I messed around on those for about a year, really got into it, but then life took me in other directions.

And now here I am at age 60 and I'm back to drumming! Wish I hadn't left.. I LOVE it!
 kari135
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2011 6:57:55 AM
I've had a couple - my children's first Christmas, each of them. Then last year, I finally got my first and most likely only grandbaby. Arrived just after New Year's, but all the excitement and anticipation started quite awhile before.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/27/2011 7:02:37 AM
Ohhhhh... then there were my dolls.
Throughout entire childhood I had 2 dolls.
EVERY Christmas my dolls would be back under the tree with new clothes on them!
It was so exciting... really was.
I loved my 2 dolls, lol.
And what made them special was I only had the 2.. no 'new doll' on birthdays or christmas to vie for my attention and make me probably get bored with dolls.
I think I had a very smart mother.
Kept me lovin' the dolls I had and the thrill of new clothes for them being an exciting thing.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/27/2011 9:18:40 AM
I dunno if it's the best gift ever, but I got a Beer making kit for Yule. it'll be fun for sure!
 BettyMcFattttyPants
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/27/2011 12:36:11 PM
Oh, import_from_uk

Yay for making a happy thread!!

This may not seem like much to others, but for me, these gifts from my son this year were better than winning the lottery. (So I am going to go a little off topic as it wasn't one gift but a few!)

He is saving his $ to move to NY to pursue his dream full time, so he decided to do non-monetary gifts this year. I have an old shed that was half torn down and driving me crazy. I've done some tear down on it, but it's really heavy wood. (And a lot of bugs even at this time of year. Yech.)He spent an afternoon tearing it down and clearing the area so I can make a garden in its stead next year.

The next day he chopped down this big tree that I wanted out and then chopped it into manageable pieces for me while I was out doing last minute grocery shopping.

He did a few other things around the house as surprises, but those were my favorite, as well as a wonderful handwritten 2 page letter he wrote to me. That letter will always be in my heart.

I sincerely hope everyone had a wonderful, painfree holiday this year!!

OOps-almost forgot. The stinker also left $ in my purse lol.
 NuMeNow
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2011 12:37:00 PM
I've had so many wonderful gifts over the years but the one that comes to mind as one of the best is the second-hand sewing machine my Mum bought for me when I was around 19. I always wanted one, but new ones were expensive. This one was from the late 60’s and uses discs to achieve all the fancy type stiches. I have had now for almost 30 years and it still works. I have been able to use it to make many outfits for my children including Christmas dresses which they (I) still have. Also this gift enabled me to make many different gifts for others. Truly a gift that keeps on giving!
 five-marie
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2011 5:57:38 PM
I remember a "Marlene" barbie type doll I once got. One of the first dolls with bendable joints.
Have to agree with Munkeechi though. Last couple of years it's been possible for me to invite my exhusband for special occasions. My kids no longer have to make arrangements to see their father after our dinner. No longer have to worry about him being alone.
That along with the addition of their 3 wonderful wives/girlfriends has made a holiday I dreaded for years into one I enjoy.
And next year they'll be two new babies. Doesn't get any better than that.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/29/2011 8:51:12 PM
In NS at Christmas time, I tend to shiver.
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/29/2011 9:00:55 PM
I've had plenty of awesome bigger gifts. but the one that touched me the most was a friend bought, without my knowing, the stuff he needed to cut out and sew my cats name over the door of her little foamy bed while i was asleep...in furry red letters...on christmas eve...
I know, what the hell, but what else is a single childless girl going to get sappy about?
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/30/2011 11:39:31 AM

I don’t recall. But I do remember bringing in the New Year on the living room floor with the love of my life.

That's a gift which I think a lot of us would appreciate having the chance of.
 SuperFunGuy
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/30/2011 12:13:11 PM
Spending Christmas morning with the entite family
 SuperFunGuy
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/30/2011 12:13:47 PM
oops meant entire family
 Padawan61
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2011 7:15:25 PM
That would have to be receiving delicious baked goodies from a sweet gal. Often, it's the personal gifts that has the most meaning.
 lovesblind831
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/31/2011 1:59:35 AM
I don't really like xmas but the best present I ever gave my mom was basketball tickets to the Golden State Warriors vs. Orlando Magic. Thing is, she hardly ever leaves the house, city, etc . She's never even been to a sports event. She loves basketball, so this was her favorite gift.
 Rokei57
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2012 1:49:57 PM
Divorce papers topped my list
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/8/2012 11:28:19 AM
I tried to start a thread like this yesterday in the "Over 45" forum--best and worst gifts ever, given and received. I figured with all the years accumulated on that forum, we'd get some awesome answers! But anyway, glad to find this one--and I have to say the best-gift-ever was when I was 7 and we got 2 guinea pigs--a total and complete surprise. They were soooooo cute. Lived a long time, too--well, one of them did, anyway (and we got him a buddy, and then had to get that one a buddy, and on and on through to at least my high school years).

Worst gift I ever got was a pair of used slippers from Good Will--in about the 19th year of marriage. I filed for divorce the next summer--kind of a coincidence in terms of the timing, but I was really tired of not being worth any effort or money on his part (effort is more valuable than $$, quite often, and so I wasn't looking for expensive gifts, just thoughtful ones).

Gifts I've given? Hmmm. My first born got a Pooh Bear that he hung onto for years--finally let his baby brother have it, after about 9 years. We still have it--a very treasured member of our family.

Worst gift I've ever given someone? Let's see-I gave my sister a 2 lb box of chocolates which her small dog got into and ate all of it, then almost died. Christmas w/ a dog puking and pooping all over, not such a great one.
 LennyPane
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2012 4:01:44 PM
Bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label. Delicious.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2012 3:54:30 AM
Gift giving and receiving gifts has always been fraught with peril for me. A large part of that, is because I take it all too seriously.

My experiences with my ex were only more confusing to me. She lambasted me for all the gifts I worked hardest on, and was most pleased at my last minute panic purchases. Obviously I am totally useless in the gift selection department, and so it remains one of the reasons I suffer fear in addition to desire, when it comes to finding a new mate.

For myself, I can get very anxious when receiving gifts, because from the time I was a small child, I came to fear that I would disappoint the giver by not appearing to be as pleased as they needed me to be. I'm very much of a delayed response sort of person, for one thing, and I seem to have an even greater tendency than most, to assume that everyone else can see what's going on inside my head.

So for me, the best gifts I've received were not the items themselves, they were all the way that the giver or receiver treated with me as a part of the exchange.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2012 12:55:03 PM
Best Christmas gift I EVER received was "the reason for the season", and the greatest gift of all, from the one whose Birthday is being celebrated here, IMHO. (with NO judgement or ill will to those of other faiths, or no faith.)

Second best gift came last year --- the engagement ring from my new husband. It wasn't the fact that it was an expenseive and sparkly piece of jewelry, or only that it was selected with MY tastes in mind.

It wasn't even -- in itself -- that I had been proposed to by the man of my dreams. It was the fact that, after seveal years of dating, I KNEW that he loved me enough to stick by me as we made it through thick and thin, and cared enough to stay the course as we worked out all our major differences. And that we both made sure the other was THE ONE. I wanted so much for a marriage that would last till death do us part. And that can only happen when both parties communicate, find the one whose faults they can live with, and will compromise at times to make things work.

WE DID IT!!!

I was married August 2, this year. I took a BIG chance to stick by this man, but he took his chances with me, as well. It sure paid off! We had a beautiful wedding and honeymoon (in our eyess), but one that we could pay cash for. We have both our familys' blessings, and we both are unselfish enough to keep romance alive. I am the luckiest woman in the world -- MHO, yes.

Everyday, I wake up to the dear face of my best friend, and truest lover. Every time I look at that engagement ring, I am reminded of the day I said YES to the BEST! Again -- MHO.

Best gift from childhood -- Mom and Dad taught me how to be self sufficient. Espeically when they taught us that special days, traditions and holidays don't magically appear. We all had to help make holidays happen, and to clean up after them as well.

Best material gift from "Santa" -- my first doll.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/11/2012 1:01:45 PM
Those silly little ornaments my kids made me when they were in school -- you know, the ones made from macaroni, yarn, glue and water paints?

I still have all of them :)
 Fleuron
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/13/2012 3:47:26 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That made me cry.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The Best Christmas Gift Ever