Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Beards??? What is going on?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 StraylightRunn
Msg: 2
Beards??? What is going on?Page 1 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
Well...there was No Shave November. I don't think it's a "Craze" I think it's a "I don't give a fvck what every chick on POF finds attractive" you can't please everyone. Can't guys just like beards?
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 5
Beards??? What is going on?
Posted: 12/28/2011 11:10:13 AM

Posted By: spitfire_32 on 12/28/2011 1:01:14 PM
Subject: Beards??? What is going on?
Message: . . . want to scream..Holy Hell..theres a rabid badger attacking your face!! Just as men don't want us woman to "let ourselves go", I for one don't like the, "Its winter, so I've decided to sport the homeless, uni-bomber look." Or my personal favorite is when they grow it out rediculously long and thin, and then braid it or shape it into a cone. Unless you are the lost member of ZZ TOP or Gandolf the Grey, this is NOT a good look....Sorry I had a little freak out there.. But can anyone explain this craze..is it just laziness???

This is funny; I love your descriptions! But hey, Gandolf is sexy, so send him my way, ok? :)

Seriously, though (although I was actually serious about Gandolf. . .), guys don't have as many ways to change their looks as women--so trying different bearded looks seems like a normal way to experiment. And it makes more sense to do it in the winter--I don't know; seems like a face full of hair in summer would be more uncomfortable?

Of course, it's fine for you to have a filter that says "no badgers for me," and it's fine for guys to not care if you have that preference (as long as they know you won't want to date them, and they don't complain about it).

But, thanks for the laugh!
 AnEvilgenius
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/28/2011 11:12:43 AM
It's my version of a chastity belt for my face. Got tired of all of the message's requesting free mustache rides from women on here. The rides are still free, but now they come with a price.

No need to thank me, it's been my pleasure.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/28/2011 11:14:38 AM
Can someone please explain to me what the deal is with tons of men recently deciding to grow out scraggly beards?

When something many people do seems to excessively annoy YOU, then look within for possible biases and sometimes deeply inculcated emotional motivation...

Just because some guys on POF look like they could be those bad guys on COPS runnin down that street, remember some college professors commonly have beards, and some guys just do what THEY want to do...
 StraylightRunn
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/28/2011 11:14:41 AM
Ya but they don't need YOU to find them appealing. Get it?
 StraylightRunn
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/28/2011 11:19:42 AM
That's not what I'm saying either. My point is no one creates a profile to attract you specifically. No one is going to adhere to your specific standards for what should be on their profile..there is no "right" way to make a profile despite what a laundry list of people on here will say. It could be a phase, it could be him showing what he looked like when he looked like shit because he doesn't take himself too seriously. I wasn't saying anything about you personally...so perhaps you need to lighten up? I was just making a point.
 KatWing123
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/28/2011 11:33:29 AM
I am oddly attracted to a little beard action, but I have a personal preferance against goatees. Weird, eh?
 That_girl*
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:06:04 PM
@ spitfire_32

i completly understand where your coming from when i see that what i would call wolfe p ussy looking shaggy hair grown out all over a guys face i have to fight myself from wanting to break out the razor or clippers an just attacking it..it's worse when the guy has shaggy nappy hair on his head only making everything look worse..

it is nasty looking..i dont understand the braiding the long beard hair either..

now on the other hand if a man has a nice hair cut an well kept mustach an gotee an keeps it trimmed up an neat that is very attractive..but to go around looking like charles mason or looking like you have been living in the woods for months is f ucking ridiculous..jezz you can get a hair cut an shave for as cheap as 20 bucks or even 10 dollars..an if not surely you have a friend or family member who will do it for you for free..

oh just remined me of the movie knocked up when thier friend grew out a beard an his hair an in 1 part they where making fun of him saying dude your face looks like a vagina an it smells too lol an somebody eles said o look it's Jesus..priceless!
 pureblisscatch4u
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:08:20 PM
And here I thought I was the only one grossed out by this. I'm not a fan of facial hair in general, but a select few guys can pull off the well maintained beard. One that really creeps me out is the little beard under the chin, with no mustache part. EEW! Face pubes, anyone? One guy I know said what someone else posted, that girls get to change their looks, but guys have very little they can do. That's fine, but just don't be mad when girls aren't beating down your door to go out with you.
I wonder if the gross homeless beard trend is around because a few famous guys have done it, along with the long, greasy hair (Ashton Kutcher, Brad Pitt, etc.). Guys for some reason think we find these guys sexy, so they're probably just trying to look like them. Newsflash: Homeless isn't sexy. And I'm not into these famous guys even when they're clean-shaven, so maybe find some new role models.
 StraylightRunn
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:13:32 PM

That's fine, but just don't be mad when girls aren't beating down your door to go out with you.

That's why I said what I said earlier. Just cause YOU don't find it attractive doesn't mean someone doesn't. Your friends might not find it attractive..the people you're around might not find it attractive...but some women find it attractive. Maybe they're not looking to try and attract EVERY girl on POF so they do what they want. Instead of adhering to some weird set of rules for ultra picky women who don't realize...it can be removed...it's not a big deal.
 pureblisscatch4u
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:15:57 PM
Not liking crazy beards doesn't make a woman "ultra-picky." It's like if I said guys who don't like obese women are "ultra-picky." It's just a preference many may have.
 StraylightRunn
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:20:56 PM
It's ultra picky, it's nothing like the obese thing. There is a laundry list of reasons why someone wants to have or not have an athletic or healthier type of woman/man. However she's not talking about whether the guy actually has a beard. Specifically she's talking about profile pictures. If you're saying that you can't date a man that has ever had a beard in any of his profile pictures...then yes...you're ultra picky. I'm not saying you have to find guys with beards attractive. It's a dating site so you're allowed to be more picky than usual. But just to say "I have preferences" therefore it's not picky is a bit of BS if you ask me. It's also a talking point. I'm not sure why people are so being so judgey about it.
 kailania
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:23:08 PM
I love trim beards on some men,
but NOT the crazy bushy been stranded in the woods hippy beards.
presently I am having an intelligent on going conversation on line here at POF with a guy with one of those beards. i keep thinking of asking him if he would ever trim it,..
but I dont have the nerve. its his.
but I wont ever meet him. i mean its really bushy.
 kailania
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:24:53 PM
and btw I am not leading him on....we argue alot,...so its not like we are planning on meeting.
 Life_Is_Dynamics
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:31:43 PM
It's in style right now. Do you live under a rock or something? Why do you care so much? Women go though all sorts of silly fashion phases, a good number of which us men question... but most of us ignore it and just date you. Are you going to pass up on an opportunity based on something so inane? I mean, look at Ugg boots or those giant old-lady goggle sunglasses you all wear. Same thing.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:36:25 PM
Don't get me going on beards. I have seen several profiles where old bikers (mostly) have long, scraggly beards and proclaim that they WON'T SHAVE THEIR BEARDS FOR NO DAMNED WOMAN.

Then don't--but don't expect a lot of women to date you. It is in the same vein as overweight people complaining that fit/average people won't date them. etc.

Just because some guys on POF look like they could be those bad guys on COPS runnin down that street, remember some college professors commonly have beards, and some guys just do what THEY want to do...

Let 'em do what they want to do, but see above.

I have been in academia as a student and instructor for many years, and I personally met two professor who had long, scraggly beards--they were both weird as hell, and coming from me, that is saying a lot. Most profs were smooth shaven and some had beards that were neatly trimmed and well cared for.
 That_girl*
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:37:16 PM
choosing to go around purposly looking like a slob or bum 24/7 isnt the same as a fashion statement like shoes or glasses an i dont see how choosing to pass up on a man who wants to purposly present himself like this an exspect to make a good impression wether it be for a woman or job or even meeting friends or family is being shallow it shows they are just a nasty lazy person just like the people who hoard an never clean up thier house..
 StraylightRunn
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:41:36 PM

Then don't--but don't expect a lot of women to date you. It is in the same vein as overweight people complaining that fit/average people won't date them. etc.

If the case where they absolutely refuse to shave their beard and carry it like some sort of right...perhaps. But not in the case of just seeing a guy with a beard and refusing to even CONSIDER dating the guy not even knowing why he has the beard to begin with. Maybe it was a bet...maybe it was something else...but the feeling I'm getting is that these guys are being sneered at and women are getting an "Icky" face and going "that's so disgusting" when it's just a picture of a guy with a beard. You know how many pictures of chicks I look at where they're purposely showing an above shot showing cleavage? Some guys like that...great...I don't...but I didn't just completely discount the person because of one stupid photo.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:50:21 PM
There are beards and then there are beards. A nicely kept beard is one thing, but scraggly and unkempt is another.

My ex-husband would sometimes have the scraggly beard. It is VERY unpleasant to get a mouthful of hair when a woman kisses a man, especially if birds are nesting in it. As for goatees and certain types of mustaches, they look fine, but it has been my experience that closely clipped facial hair can cause discomfort and irritation in, ahem, certain sexual situations, but that's just my experience.
 StraylightRunn
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:53:26 PM
I understand not dating a guy who keeps a scraggly beard. I do. But again the impression I'm getting is if they even SEE that he's EVER had a scraggly beard it's a problem. "Eww a picture with a scraggly beard I can't talk to him"
 Walts
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:53:39 PM

choosing to go around purposly looking like a slob or bum 24/7 isnt the same as a fashion statement like shoes or glasses

Says you. Some of us could give a rat's azz what GQ says,but obviously you and a few others do. Maybe some of them are giving the middle finger to society because they just about had enough of alllllll you sheeple following the fashion "trends"(go look up the word,you'll probably be stunned at what kind of FOLLOWER you are).

I find it amusing anyone comes on here and whines about the fat ones, the skinny ones, the blonde ones, the bald ones,the long haired hippie ones, the bearded ones, the mustached ones, well, ya getting the picture yet. We have people that believe a "suit" will make the man, and eye lashes and hair colour "make" the woman. So be it. But don't think the rest of us are following your thoughts. We actually have our own brains, and know better, thank you very much.

More money is "wasted" keeping up to the NEVER ENDING changes of fashion. If ya get old enough, you can actually start recycling your clothes and STILL be in fashion. Think about how retarded (go look that one up too) that is. Especially with our economic situation as it is today. In fact, go to any mall right now,,,,another definition of retarded.
 StraylightRunn
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:59:56 PM
No..if I wouldn't date a girl with a cleavage shot I'd never date. (Although I don't really bother with the online dating thing so much..I purposely changed my profile to discourage people). I did however say that it's something I find annoying. But like Walt put so passionately personal preferences are just that..and it you're not seeing pictures on a guys profile and saying "Eww I won't date him cause he had a beard" then it's not ultra picky. But at least take the time to know...is my point.
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:03:09 PM

but I didn't just completely discount the person because of one stupid photo.

One stupid picture of an otherwise attractive person is not the same as a picture or series of pictures of a person with a feature that makes them unattractive to you--and that is all the OP is saying. If she doesn't like that type of look, she's entitled to discount those people.

And yes, a guy can shave his beard-but how well received would an email be that says, "Hey, I think you sound interesting. Will you shave the beard and post a 2nd pic so i can decide if I'm attracted to your looks? I hate that kind of beard but I can't promise I'd like you without it, either."

I'm not sure about this, but I suspect that some men don't realize a beard is a turn off to a lot of women (and a turn on for others). Hearing about it might help them decide if they are that interested in being bearded--if it is not a big deal to them and they aren't getting dates, they might consider changing it. Just like a woman might change her looks with make up or hair color or whatever if she's not getting the results she wants. And anyone who doesn't care about people who don't like beards is perfectly welcome to choose to leave theirs as is.
 moraima
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:04:20 PM
Winter in the Great White North might be an excuse for some men to grow facial hair.

Icicles (which many men have attached to the facial) are disgusting. I don't want to know what caused the icicles..............(sneeze and drippy noses etc.).

My favourite excuse for facial hair is that the man has sensitive skin, so he doesn't want to shave. Yet he expects the women to put up with facial hair skin burns on the women caused by his facial hair. Please don't say that facial hair doesn't damage the women skin. That is just another excuse.

When I used to look at the meet me profiles, approx. 75% of the men had facial hair in my area. Delete, delete, delete.
 StraylightRunn
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:07:24 PM
It's a talking point! You could tease the guy. "EWWW Is that a rat or a beard on your face? :P"

Seems pretty simple to me IDK why this is so complicated. She specifically said "An attractive guy but when you click on the profile he has a bunch of pictures where he has a beard.." so she's saying he's attractive except for his beard. We haven't established anything beyond photos of a guy with a beard.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Beards??? What is going on?