Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How can I reduce sugar cravings?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BettyMcFattttyPants
Msg: 1
How can I reduce sugar cravings?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
New year, new start-back on the diet wagon. I've been the entire weight spectrum, but for the last 3 years I've stayed on the heavy side.

My question to the fitness buffs is-what can I do about the sugar cravings that always seem to sabotage me? Any diet I've been on goes great until I start jonesing for sugar. I've tried substituting it with fruits , diet candy or Adkins bars(when I do low carb). Doesn't work.

I have tried to do portion control (i.e. ok one block of chocolate as opposed to 7) but then I get disgusted for cheating and end up becoming derailed.

I did the starvation and manic exercise routine 4 years ago. Lost tons of weight and my mind. This time I would like to be smart, sensible and make it a lifestyle change.

Anyone have suggestion?

hmm..maybe I should post this when people are back in the forums....
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 2
How can I reduce sugar cravings?
Posted: 12/31/2011 9:04:21 PM
: New year, new start-back on the diet wagon. I've been the entire weight spectrum, but for the last 3 years I've stayed on the heavy side.

That is because the wagon rides get shorter each time.

My question to the fitness buffs is-what can I do about the sugar cravings that always seem to sabotage me?

It is not the craving that sabotage you, it is you giving in to them.

We all have the cravings.

Sugar is craved the same way a junkie craves heroin and when combined with high amounts of fat is pretty much on par.

So she is not an easy mistress to shake.

Any diet I've been on goes great until I start jonesing for sugar. I've tried substituting it with fruits , diet candy or Adkins bars(when I do low carb). Doesn't work.

I see mostly the problem with a complete cold turkey approach but once again it was not the diet that failed, you failed to execute.

I have tried to do portion control (i.e. ok one block of chocolate as opposed to 7) but then I get disgusted for cheating and end up becoming derailed.

We create defeat so we can wallow in it. Understanding that everything you do and every journey you take starts right now and there is no end.

I did the starvation and manic exercise routine 4 years ago. Lost tons of weight and my mind. This time I would like to be smart, sensible and make it a lifestyle change.

That is a good idea.

Anyone have suggestion?

Adopt a lifestyle that you can live with the rest of your life.

be realistic when setting goals.

The easiest goal I know that works is each day you do what you can do towards a healthy lifestyle.

Each day is a new day, because I will guarantee you will fail a few more times but this time when its happens, the next day is a new day and you go on.

You forget the past and move on to the future.

You do not dwell on it and you do not punish yourself for it, but you must remain balanced and by that I mean you must not celebrate the successes, because if you do you only validate the loss's that will happen, so setting the stage for failure.

When you do fail, be honest with yourself and look at the situation that brought it about and do your best not to let it happen again. Use that failure to learn your path to success.

Just as when you succeed look at what you have done and see how it is working.

It is less about what you do and more about the effort you put into it and living a healthy lifestyle does take effort but it does have its rewards.

There is no magic formula, it is using what we already know, cook your meals at home, use healthy ingredients, maintain an active life and do not let what you are doing get in the way with your life, make it part of your life.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/1/2012 8:47:09 AM
Every Christmas season I get hooked (terribly) on chocolate.

There is so much baking, eating and tasting going on that it becomes an obsession.

What has worked for me (for the last 15 years) is lent.

I give up Chocolate for a reason (not that I am religious anymore), it just works for me.

Around my birthday I have a piece ... and the cycle starts all over again.

In my heart I know that I may have to give it up for life.

Good luck with your life style change!
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/1/2012 10:14:19 AM
my suggestion is to wean yourself off too much sugar. once you're accustomed to the natural taste of things hopefully you won't crave the sugar. But it might take more or less self discipline and will-power to get there depending on your level of self control. (my mom and i are night and day difference). I did that years ago, but I haven't cut it out completely Like i still put some sugar in my tea. I love frozen raspberries to and I'll sprinkle on about 1/2 tsp too. And I'm ok with that.
I also found switching to almond milk really helpful when having cereal or oatmeal because of it's sweetness. Some fruit or raisins on top is good enough.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/1/2012 10:41:53 AM
I have a theory which is probably a crackpot theory (most of mine are):

The craving we have for sweet is evolutionarily very important. There are vitamins and nutrients we can only get from fruit (the source of sweet for hunter/gatherer societies). If you look at Johnny Appleseed, the apple trees he sold were the only source of sweet the settlers had - in the form of cider. We need sweet. So, for me, I just started eating fruit whenever I had a chocolate craving or wanted waffles. It worked - at least for me. It was also surprising how little fruit it took. Where I could eat a whole can of Poppycock, a large bag of licorice, or a few chocolate bars, a little dried or fresh fruit satisfied my hunger for something sweet. I suspect my body was telling me it needed fruit with the craving and I wasn't satisfying that need so I just kept wanting more sweet stuff.

But, again, I have a crackpot theory for just about everything, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
 Aries_328
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 11:16:53 AM

But, again, I have a crackpot theory for just about everything, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

As crackpot theories go thats not entirely far off.

ยป Fructose turns off brain sensitivity to hormones involved in feelings of satiety after meals so you never feel full

Really recommend this video:
http://www.blogut.ca/2011/12/22/sugar-the-bitter-truth/

It's about an hour long but very much worth it.
 statemachine500
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:03:32 PM

My question to the fitness buffs is-what can I do about the sugar cravings that always seem to sabotage me? Any diet I've been on goes great until I start jonesing for sugar. I've tried substituting it with fruits , diet candy or Adkins bars(when I do low carb). Doesn't work.

Look to who the masters of body recomposition are....and what do they use?

Low carb or keto diets are what they choose.I used to get these carb cravings,searching for quick energy.Your body needs to relearn how to mobilize fat stores.Most of us eat way too many carbs.You can start by cutting down on the carbs,and go with mostly lean meats,vegetables,nuts,fruits.No pasta or bread.After a short while your body will begin to adjust.Eat smaller more often.Oh,and the experts...they are bodybuilders...
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:30:39 PM

Eat smaller more often.Oh,and the experts...they are bodybuilders...

Do those body builders also provide information on all the drugs they do?

At the end of the day if you want to reduce your cravings for the sugar you must consume less of the sugar.

It is will power and nothing more, some have it and some do not.
 statemachine500
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:55:08 PM
You don't need drugs.But you must feed your body the proper nutrients.I didn't recommend any refined sugars.Feed your body correctly and the cravings will subside.
 arwen52
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 3:21:33 PM
Don't keep stuff around that will tempt you. Don't keep soda, candy, cookies, whatever it is, around the house. Keep healthy snacks around that are not calorie-dense. Eat protein.

One day a week, let yourself have what you want, just don't go overboard, so you don't feel deprived.

Keep a food diary. If you have to write down *everything* you put in your mouth, it will make you think about what you are eating.

DON'T use artificial sweetners, esp. diet sodas. They do *not* help you reduce. They keep you used to eating things that are very sweet and just encourage those cravings.

Our brain is wired to respond to sweet. Our ancestors had plenty of greens available to them but fat and sugar were harder to come by. We are programmed to respond to and crave sweet. However, our ancestors never had the concentrated sweets available to them that we do now. When we get a taste of the concentrated sweets we have available to us, it sets off a reaction in our brain they call "superpleasure." The more you expose yourself to that, the more you want. It's addictive.

Instead of letting yourself experience that mindlessly, be very conscious of when you *choose* to allow that for yourself. Don't keep these things in your environment so that you are constantly tempted. Now and then very intentionally allow yourself to have that and be aware of exactly what you are doing.

Keep busy, get plenty of protein. Keep veggies, fruit around. Good luck. You are not alone. And it isn't a flaw on your part, it's the way our brains are programmed. Originally, it worked in our favor. Now, it works against us and we have to exercise self-control.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/1/2012 4:15:58 PM
arwen ... that was very well put.
 statemachine500
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/1/2012 5:35:37 PM

arwen ... that was very well put.

I agree.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/1/2012 5:45:51 PM

Don't keep stuff around that will tempt you.

Damn!

I opened the freezer and found the box of christmas cookies I packed for a friend of mine.
Well ... he isn't getting it anymore.
And I am well on my way to removing all the sweets in this house.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/2/2012 4:03:14 AM
Get a good multi made for diabetics.

Make sure it has chromium picolinate and alpha lipoic acid in it.

You can take chromium picolinate 200 mcg twice a day and alpha lipoic acid in divided doses.

Eat apples when you want something sweet.

Eat healthy fats at least 2-3 times a day also.
Nuts
Coconut oil.
Lean protien

Cinnamon on a sweet potato

The more sugars and flour you consume the more it triggers cravings.

Always have some fat with a starch like a potato..like olive oil or even real butter.

AND get junk OUT of your house..
Dont drink your fruit............. EAT it.

Eat often.
No diet sodas.
No sugar free gum

Good luck.

May want to try the alkaline lifestyle as you can have all the fruit you want.
There are many programs you can live with.

Don't put in your head you can never have a treat , just make sure you only partake once a week and leave the house to do it.
Having to drive somewhere for a little Debbie will make you turn to the apple or orange in the house usually.

Your home should be " clear".
 SunDevil_in_SC
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/2/2012 3:59:56 PM
Ok OP, I'm not a nutritionist, but I played one on TV ...

Seriously, I went from a BMI of 30 to 19.4. Basically, that was a 85 pound weight change. A lot of what was said was what I did:

1) I agree with Halftime Dad and Arwen on the fruit idea. Actually, I've changed my lunch into a huge fruit break ... I eat an insane amount of fruit. Half of the time people at work think I'm crazy, but it works for me. As for the fruit, I eat apples (what Peppermint mentioned) as well as tangerines, pears, watermelon, and cantalope ... I don't eat too many grapes. Frankly, we are at the mercy of what is in season (I suggest fresh fruit, and don't drink it ... the same advice as Peppermint) so find a grocer that is well stocked in fruit. It's funny, at one time I used to pick a grocer due to their selection of meats ... now I do it for fruit ... LOL ...

2) No diet sodas. Fortunately, I never liked the taste of them ... now what I drink is coffee (my one vice) and decaffienated herbal tea (Apple and Cinnamon ... yummy) in the evening.

3) There is not one sweet in my house. Not one.

4) When you shop, now also look at the nutrition labels very closely. Just because it say no/less fat and/or no/less sugar doesn't mean that it is healthy for you. It is insane what they can say on labels. Ok ... here's my admission ... I am a huge calorie-phobe. If it is high calorie, I just don't buy it or eat it.

5) Now, with item 4 in mind, for snacks, what I eat is either cereal (like Corn Chex or Corn Flakes) or pretzels. They're pretty low in calories for what you can eat. I don't "eat" all of the time - I "snack" all of the time. (Couldn't help poking Peppermint ...) But I seriously do ... it is that the stuff that I am eating is low calorie/low fat/low sugar ...

6) (Now I don't recommend this ... this is what I like to eat) for my breakfast and dinner, I usually eat eggs, hash browns, and maybe some whole grain rye toast. Oh, I can see you shaking your head on this one ... however, the only reason why I admit to this one is that this is the key in all of this: this is a lifestyle change. You're getting on a train, and you're not going back.

What I've always loved were breakfast type of meals ... so that is what I eat. I just make sure that they are low in fat and calories, and Voila! The thing is that you've got to come up with a diet that you can live with for the rest of your life. Every once in a while, I hear of people saying, "Well, I going on a diet, and this time I'm going to lose that weight." They always lose the weight, but once they get off of the diet, they end up with more than when they started.

As mentioned before, it requires willpower ... and if I may add, it requires that you think was the unthinkable as being thinkable. I remember at one time thinking, "If I am less than 200 pounds, I die due to malnutrition ... my body can't take that." However, now I'm at 155 pounds ... you just got to believe.

7) Don't go to the scale every day to check your weight ... I repeat ... don't go to the scale every day to check your weight. Some days you may go up in weight at first, and there might be a period where you lose less than expected. If you check all of the time, you'll get discouraged. This should be a gradual process ... I did not lose 85 pounds in three months ... it was more like over 2.5 years ... and that was the nice part about it: it allowed my body to accept the weight that it was at.

8) (Although I don't do this) I guess exercise would help. Well, I do some ... but I'm no gym rat.

And that is it. What I have found is that my joints don't hurt any more, and I don't have to take medicines that at one time I did. But you see, that is my motivation ... I know where I was, and I don't want to go back.

Just know that you can do it ... but realize it isn't going to be easy. It does require willpower and determination ... but you can do it.

I wish for you the best.

ps: I almost forgot this disclaimer ... if you have an erection lasting more than four hours, please call a physician immediately ...
 MaidenKiev
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/3/2012 8:00:10 AM
Atkins and other Keto diets DO work. You need to follow them to the T and stick to them. There is NO simple fast way to do what you want to do, which is lose body fat. Whenever people say these diets do not work, I get disgusted. Because I did it and I made it a lifestyle. So to say it does not work is BS.

Pick a nutritional approach that best suits what you think YOU can do. I chose Atkins because I love meat and it is something that I can do anywhere. At home, out to dinner, whatever. And I use the weights 5 days a week so the protein intake keeps me big and lean. A lot of the other fad diets just end up making people hungrier and fatter. My opinion at least. I have seen people who fall into the Weight Watchers thing ~ lose 40 punds of water weight and muscle, then pack it back on because they have spent 6 months counting every little calorie and eating whatever the program allows them to have on a daily basis without teaching someone they need protein .

A lot of fad diets only teach people to count....not really what helps muscle growth, sugar reduction etc. and overall feeling better. Anyone can count. But if you do not eat the foods to make these issues go away, what good is it doing you? I went to a WW meeting and about fell over when I saw how they teach people to * lose weight*.

Atkins bars I do not suggest. Almonds, peanut butter ( sugar free ), tuna with some Mayo and shredded dill pickles, and things like this are fine. You can do anything you want, you just need to put your mind to it.

I know you are not looking to be built like me and trust me, this is NOT easy and will not happen over night. But the way I eat will help you lose cravings and feel better. Just a lot less food than what I consume on a daily basis.
 FlibbertigibbetFish
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/3/2012 9:35:39 AM
Sugar cravings is very interesting...I have trained well over 3,ooo ppl in my career...took my State title in bodybuilding and this is what I have learned and experianced first hand.I went on a 6 week health sabadical a few years ago and went thru a major body cleanse.Metal cleanse.Colan,liver,kidney,parisite cleanse.Flushed,flushed and more flushing with water,apple cidar vinegar, etc.I DID NOT CRAVE ANYMORE.I had to set my watch alarm to even remember to eat.I thirsted for water and that was it.PERIOD. I learned this: What you crave is what is trapped in your colan...remember John Wayne even Elvis died with over 50 lbs of excess trapped in there colan.have you ever saw a man with a hard big belly? he has lbs. and lbs. of rotting food trapped in his colan..yicks!>>>The answer is: Regular Colan Cleanses.If you don't wish to team up with a Hydro Colan Therapist(usually$45.00 a visit min.5-6 visits in a month cleansing session) >Email me (if possible) or web search on cheapest and easiest way to do them yourself.Discribed on here is not pretty...LOL...but I can do it if you like. ~Deveraux~
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/3/2012 9:46:13 AM
...The answer is: Regular Colan Cleanses.

Nope, that would be a fail at biology 101.

Your digestive system and bowel naturally eliminate waste material and bacteria, you do not need colon cleansing.

All you do is increase your risks of:
Dehydration
Bowel perforations
Infections
Cause a rise in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or heart disease

The answer is a healthy diet and the rest will take care of itself.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/3/2012 10:37:11 AM

Your digestive system and bowel naturally eliminate waste material and bacteria, you do not need colon cleansing.

^^^^^^^^^Agree.

I have been in weight loss and nutrition for years and thats a crock of "bowel movement".

Eat fruit , veggies and black beans ,then your bowels will move VERY well.
If you want extra fiber buy some for 8 bucks at the drug store.

Drink sugar free ginger tea or other herbal teas to de stress and/or aid in digestion if you have issues with that.
Add stevia if you like.

I did forget to mention get enough sleep. 6-8 hours straight.

Stress makes craving worse so anything as simple as deep breathing , yoga , meditation or a short prayer even a 5 minute walk to de- stress will help you.

Music that makes you feel good. REAL Aromatherapy.

Lavender and sage are good to try in the store and see how you like them.

May want to check for candida overgrowth and address THAT if you do eat a lot of sugary/flour type things.

Happy new year and good luck!!
 BettyMcFattttyPants
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/3/2012 12:19:02 PM
Thank you soooo much-everyone!! Lots of great advice and tips to make it a lifestyle.

I appreciate everyone's input. Sincerely!

So many of the suggestions offered will really make a change for me and any one who is trying to lose weight.

The tossing of everything bad is a great idea. The stuff that's unopened I will give to the homeless shelter.

The vitamin supplements are something I need to look into. Why diabetic vitamins? (Even tho I'm fat, I am wicked lucky to be healthy(knock on wood) but I'm 48 so I thought I better stick with the diet this time in case my luck runs out.)

I've had good luck with Adkins, but again...the sugar jones. I agree it's a will power issue, but sometimes I think candy is my crack. I get so b*tchy when I am craving the sugar. I honestly think that this thread will help my will power during those times.

To the poster (deveraux )who offered the colon cleansing advice-thank you, but that is one area I can't deal with lol. I can not handle anything that would involve someone sticking something up my butt, then watching things come out even tho I have 2 friends who swear by it(and an ex-husband but that's for a different thread). I would like some info about the natural cleansing of the body i.e. thru liquids swallowed for a period of time, so I am going to reread your post and google Master Cleanse. I think it may help to jump start the body, altho just from upping my exercise I've dropped 4 pounds in 4 days. (of course, when you are as big as I am, the first 10 to 15 pretty much hop off the body, overjoyed you are doing something about it.)

Again, thank you each and every one.

thank you thank YOU thank you thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

P. S. Deveraux, I did try e-mailing you for info on the liquid cleanse, but I don't meet your mail requirements.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/3/2012 1:47:45 PM

...I would like some info about the natural cleansing of the body i.e. thru liquids swallowed for a period of time, so I am going to reread your post and google Master Cleanse. I think it may help to jump start the body, altho just from upping my exercise I've dropped 4 pounds in 4 days. (of course, when you are as big as I am, the first 10 to 15 pretty much hop off the body, overjoyed you are doing something about it.)..

OP stop looking for short cuts as there are not such things.

Detox, cleanse, etc... are all marketing terms created to take advantage of people just like you.

You will do your body more hard than good.
 BettyMcFattttyPants
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/3/2012 1:56:07 PM
"people just like you'' lol. Look at how awesome that women looks who advised the detox! How can anyone argue with that?!

I am sure some of them are short cut ballyhooed programs, designed to lure overweight people like me into trying any crazy thing, but some of them do seem to work. Like any tool, they have their uses as long as a person learns from them, don't you think?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/3/2012 2:03:33 PM
"people just like you'' lol. Look at how awesome that women looks who advised the detox! How can anyone argue with that?!

It is easy to argue with that because, Correlation does not imply Causation, with respect to how someone looks and what crap they are selling.

I am sure some of them are short cut ballyhooed programs, designed to lure overweight people like me into trying any crazy thing, but some of them do seem to work. Like any tool, they have their uses as long as a person learns from them, don't you think?

The key word is there is "seem".

Yep and that tool is designed to make you lighter via emptying your wallet.

The only thing that will work, is eating healthy foods in a sufficient quantity that will meet your daily caloric intake requirements, period.
 statemachine500
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/3/2012 3:35:35 PM
Some people swear by that cleanse.On a regular basis you have to include much more fiber.Oatmeal,flax,psyllium in your protein shakes,carrots,and other vegetables.
 thelastdance51
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/5/2012 9:10:25 AM
Try adding ground cinnamon to your your water bottle...
The cinnamon will curb your sugar cravings and the water will fill you stomach.

Try making your own trail mix to snack on .The premade variety often comes with added sugar so thats why I choose to buy the ingrediants so I know what i'm putting in me.
I use...roasted lightly salted almonds (blue diamond put out great ones!)
Granola (I use the Bare Naked kind)
Craisins-dried cranberries with blueberry juice inside (Lots of antioxidents)

Keep me posted on your progress!!
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How can I reduce sugar cravings?