Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > My dough won't rise!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AuroraDiem
Msg: 1
My dough won't rise!Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I made white bread dough and didn't take the time to test my yeast. It appears to dead dead dead. So now I have this dough what can I do with it?
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 2
view profile
History
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:13:33 PM
?? Make Crackers? I'm sorry if it sounds flip...but after you get it mixed, if the yeast isn't active you're pretty much screwed.
 AuroraDiem
Msg: 3
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:15:59 PM
I wonder if i can do a flat bread with itÉ hmmm oh well I will roll it out and bake it up and see what becomes of it.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 4
view profile
History
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:38:33 PM
If the dough doesn't rise, you'll just have a very heavy bread. If nothing else, you can chop it up and season it to use as breadcrumbs or croutons.

I test my water by feel, you want it about the temperature of a hot tub 1o5 degrees approx. You can do a test by sprinkling a pinch of yeast, let it sit and see if it's starting to dissolve. Kitchen thermometers are fairly inexpensive, yeast isn't.

Hope that helps!

Afterthought: yeast has a shelf life, did you check to see it hasn't expired? If it hasn't take the empty package back to the store and get another one.
 AuroraDiem
Msg: 5
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:05:59 PM
i made pizza out of it. The children enjoyed it and I was reminded to make sure all my tools and ingredients are up to snuff.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 6
view profile
History
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:08:19 PM
What a great idea, it's good to be creative!! At least you all got to enjoy it.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 7
view profile
History
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/5/2012 11:49:04 AM
..after I replied earlier, the cracker idea just seemed to be better and better. Maybe roll it out..poke it full of holes..brush it with some garlic/onion/rosemary butter, cut it with a pizza cutter and bake it. Ya never know..you might enjoy it just as much or more, LOL.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 8
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/5/2012 10:55:28 PM
i'm no baker but i'm pretty sure cold water CAN destroy your yeast.

google it.

k.w.
water should be "tepid"
 raxarsr
Msg: 9
view profile
History
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/5/2012 11:23:10 PM
cold wont kill it......it just wont activate
 AuroraDiem
Msg: 10
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/6/2012 7:51:10 AM
The water was lukewarm, it was just mass extinction in a yeast jar. I tested the yeast afterwards in some lukewarm honey water, no action. I made pizza with half of it and some sort of mutant crispy cinnamon roll thing with the other half.

I rarely bake because it's so precise, I cook all the time. It just reminds me that baking and cooking are very different creatures.
 MsMicki
Msg: 11
view profile
History
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/6/2012 10:22:40 AM
also very good for your septic system!!
I flush a package every 3 months to keep the good winning out over the evil
 curlygrl
Msg: 12
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/7/2012 5:48:47 AM
Sounds like dead yeast or a warlock.

Did your milk go sour?

Put a hex sign on your door and there
should be a witch hunter there shortly.

Dead yeast- get new yeast.

I freeze my yeast too. I bought bulk yeast and
have a ton of it now.

There was a time I was afraid of yeast baking too
but once you get the hang if it- it's quite enjoyable.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 13
view profile
History
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/9/2012 11:55:35 AM
Yeast has an expiration date for a reason, just like the keratin gels to make preserves do. If it has a shelf life that means that at some point it's not going to "work" anymore. You can test a small amount of yeast before using it in a recipe and end up ruining a bunch of other ingredients. I've only used the dried yeast, and never heard of freezing it. I just googled a bit and the recommended temps for proofing yeast are 100 degrees to 115 degrees, that's quite a large range of temps!!

I go by the directions for the yeast I'm using. I think you just get used to how warm the water should be after doing it a few times.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 14
view profile
History
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/9/2012 9:57:40 PM
Freezing!

I buy my Yeast in bulk from Costco ( I think it is a 1 pound block), containerize it, and freeze the containers. I have an old yeast jar I keep in the frig which I refill every so often from the frozen containers.

This routine has yet to let me down, where as I have had some packets in the pantry that have gone a bit north.

If you do get a dud batch and did not proof, proof a new batch, mix with a bit of flour and knead in. Yes you might end up over-kneading the dough, so just let it go one rise, or two, but no more.

TK
 lDAVllD
Msg: 15
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/12/2012 2:09:52 PM
You know...i always make stuff with buisquick......but i never realised you can't keep it forever.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 16
view profile
History
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/12/2012 5:24:24 PM
Bisquick is a whole 'nuther animal there David. If your Bisquick is old..you can spike it up with some baking powder..or baking soda and some type of acid source like creme of tartar..or even buttermilk, vinegar, or lemon/lime juice. I make pancakes with just plain flour, a tiny bit of baking powder, some baking soda..and lime juice for leavening. When your Bisquick is fresh..you have no need for additional leavening. But if it gets old..it won't rise quite right, but can be saved with one of the aforementioned ingredients.
 Suzy_Qs_Bread
Msg: 17
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 3/2/2012 2:16:27 AM
I'm sure it has already been mentioned but i didnt have time to read all the replies...all you have to do to solve this is take your dough, punch it back down, sprinkle it with the appropriate amount of ACTIVE yeast from a new package/jar that you'll know is fresh, knead it well into your dough, and let rise again...voila! Good as new
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 18
view profile
History
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 3/28/2012 7:14:42 PM
..Are you sure it would be mixed well enough to flavor the entire crumb of the bread??? I can see how it would react, and maybe add loft to a loaf, but can't imagine getting it mixed well enough to flavor..
 red_fir
Msg: 19
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 4/15/2012 2:59:10 AM
I haven't bought yeast in twenty years.
when I was a teenager I made a sourdough start with apple cider and whole grain flour.
After the third feeding i quit using cider and switched to branch water, after seven feedings I fed it whatever flour I was baking with.
This culture has no "sour" taste just an active yeast strain that is brutally hardy.
 optimismfirst
Msg: 20
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 4/21/2012 2:18:23 PM
Thats the thing with food and recipes. you can screw it up badly, but something new always can come from it.
if it fails, make something else with what you got,
it usally end ups being tastier
 Albvs
Msg: 21
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 2/21/2013 8:46:01 PM
I use the packaged quick-rise yeast and never have problems with it. I do, however, always refrigerate my yeast as soon as I get it home from the grocery store.

I put milk, water and a quarter cup of sugar into a pyrex measuring cup and put it into the microwave oven for about 45 seconds, stir it with the thermometer and check the temperature. It should be 110ºF. Nuke it a little more if it's slightly under that. Let it sit for a moment and stir it if it's too hot. When it's the correct temperature, add the measured yeast and within about two minutes you should start to see the tell-tale signs of the yeast beginning to proof. Let it sit for another ten to twenty minutes and then continue to make your bread.

If you're making another type of bread that doesn't have any sugar, milk or buttermilk in it then get the water at the 110ºF mark, add a ring of flour around the edges and put the yeast in the middle.

In either case, you're giving the yeast something to eat and a reason to multiply.
 Albvs
Msg: 22
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 2/22/2013 5:34:17 PM
Regarding yeast, I use the packaged variety, so there's no condensation to worry about. If I used the compressed/cake variety then I'd put it in an airtight container.

I roll-my-own airtight container usually by using a Ziploc bag, place the object inside, insert a straw through the opening, close the zipper as much as is possible and suck the air out. At the last moment then remove the straw and finish closing the zipper. Seems to work fantastic for storing rolls (after they've cooled). In the case of bread I'll also quarter-fold a paper towel and include it inside so that it will absorb a portion of the water vapor.
 Cowboybt5
Msg: 23
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 3/7/2013 9:15:06 PM
Have you tested your yeast. Take some of your yeast and place it in a couple cups of 100 degree water. If it starts to act up, your yeast is still active and you have other problems.
 daynadaze
Msg: 24
view profile
History
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/18/2014 5:14:30 PM
You can also make your own baking power, I just learned today reading yahoo. It's 1 teaspoon baking soda, to 2 teaspoons cream of tarter, if used right away, if you are going to store some, add 1 teaspoon of corn starch, keep in air tight container.

I can't make bread, I have tried many times, follow all the directions, even tried a couple of times with a woman who made bread that tasted like paradise (sigh) watching me and all I end up with is a heavy football with dried flour in the middle. I know it sounds like I am not mixing/kneading it enough, but like I said, I've even tried with a pro is helping me. Bread hates me. :(

We have a Kitchen Aid mixer, maybe I should drag it out and give it another try using it.
 Archiver
Msg: 25
My dough won't rise!
Posted: 1/20/2014 7:44:08 PM
I heartily recommend using the "Bread in Five Minutes a Day" method. It makes wonderful artisan type bread, and is very easy. The recipes use dry (instant) yeast. It never fails. You do not have to "proof" it. Just dump the yeast in the mixing bowl with flour, salt, water, stir it well and and let it rise. No kneading is required. A batch of bread dough (which makes four loaves) can be made in five minutes. After rising, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. When you want a loaf, you pull out a hunk of dough, shape a loaf, let it rise, and then bake for 30 minutes at 425 degrees on a baking stone. Sometimes I'll make several loves and par-bake them. Then I freeze until I want fresh bread, let them thaw and bake for ten minutes.

I have made wheat bread, rye bread, cheddar cheese bread, challah, brioche, bagels, dinner rolls, raisin bread, naan, ciabatta, and other varieties. The recipe (and variations) have never failed.

There are two books: "Bread in Five Minutes a Day" and "Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day". The authors have a website on which they have posted recipes. King Arthur Flour's website also has their recipes.

BTW, I keep my dry yeast in the freezer.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > My dough won't rise!