Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Can food change your mood?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 laskoboo
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Can food change your mood?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
health food and "good" nutrition are subjective........

I think refined sugar is something we can do without, and animal milk.. all processed food and fake fats but not everyone would consider that "good"

Losing weight can make a woman feel very good. Being healthy can make anyone feel good.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 3
Can food change your mood?
Posted: 1/6/2012 12:46:55 PM
Absolutely!

That is why a change in diet is suggested for AD/HD'ers.

And you are asking this .... because???

Do you have a paper due?
 satx78218
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2012 2:20:22 PM
probably the biggest mood changer is swings in serum glucose from consuming fast carbs.

when the serum glucose crashes, I suspect almost nobody feels good, from hungry babies to adults with the elevenses.

the other big mood influence is amount of sleep. Sleep researchers say the millions of Americans live with chronic sleep deficits, and resulting waking low-level discomfort, which can induce one to comfort food.
 chemosaby
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/7/2012 5:56:27 PM
Grasses like Wheat especially, and cow's milk put me in an ornary mood. They make me tired, and affect my thinking. They give me headaches, itching, hives and itching eyes. I can be easily annoyed and get angry. I stay away from those foods of course, but cheat when pizza or a burger is needed which is occassionally
 Marmite baby
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2012 11:41:52 AM
Science: bananas Any food which delivers steady energy, regulates blood sugar and mood.
At the riskof sounding like an ape,bananas are the perfect snack for slow burning carb , as are oats etc Bananas also have potassium
Add chilli to food Gives a rush and speeds metabolism.Plus makes food delicious for very few calories. A natural anti depressant and helps yout to lose weight
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 7:35:41 PM
In my experience, yes, mood is certainly affected by nutrition. Hungry people tend to be more testy than well fed ones, obviously, and there are all manner of variations on mood effects that this or that nutritional imbalance can result from.

What makes everything tricky, is that people are not identical. Someone who has trouble processing foods that provide others with what they need to have a good balance of vitamins and such, will benefit more from a vitamin supplement regimen than someone who does NOT have that problem. Therefore, no one can write up a set of things to eat that will work for everyone.

I think of the body like any other machine. Like a car, if you like. If your car is behaving poorly, and the reason is that it's low on clean oil, then changing or topping off the oil will fix it. If your car has the right amount of oil in it already, adding another quart of even the best oil on the planet, will actually cause it to malfunction.

Your body is the same way. We don't yet have a cost effective and reliable way to tell whether you have specific eating or supplement requirements that can help you or not. You have to experiment.

What adds to the trickiness is, that reality itself can trigger mood shifts as well. You might be tense and depressed because you aren't eating right, but it could also be because your job prospects suck, and your local pool of potential mates is full of the opposites of who you get along with.

Given all that, it's still worth finding your best nutritional balance. At least if you are eating right for your needs, you can be cheerfully depressed , or optimistically tense.
 Ms Cheevious
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2012 3:09:00 PM
Hell yeah!

Plant me in front of an excellent buffet and watch my frown turn upside down!
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/19/2012 1:22:15 AM

Hungry people tend to be more testy than well fed ones

^^^^^^^^^^^
We must have met!!!

Wait for the side effects of high carbohydrate consumption. LOL!

^^^^^^^^^^
I find a potato is very calming.

Watermelon makes me happy.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 26
Posted: 4/19/2012 5:20:05 AM
My youngest son is an extreme example- brittle diabetic for many years...his blood sugar really affects his moods...I notice when i eat bad carbs or too many carbs, I crash later...even though I am not a diabetic...also feel better when I follow a routine (eat same time daily)

too much sodium-yikes- then when I cut it out I am "Princess Running Water" LOL!
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/19/2012 9:15:59 AM

It would be like saying that I can improve the gas mileage in my car, and then I remove the kayak, mt bike and roof racks from my car.

"Feed your car" the gas the manufacturer says to use that is best for it..Clean that throttle body thats gunked up with carbon every couple of years.
Stop with the lead foot.

Your bike would not affect it as much as your driving habits and how you treat your car..
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Can food change your mood?