Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Who Was Your Childhood Hero or Heroes?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lionessx
Msg: 1
Who Was Your Childhood Hero or Heroes?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
One night with a few good friends we got walking down memory lane about some of our heroes.

My first love and hero was the Cisco Kid. When I was five years old he came to our small local fair along with his horse Diablo. I still remember standing in line waiting to get his picture which he autographed and he sat me on his knee. Still have that picture by the way.

At 10 years old and on Sunday afternoons after church, I looked forward to Tarzan Theatre and loved watching them. Johnny Weismuller was my favourite Tarzan actor. I used to love thinking of him and I swinging from a vine along with Cheetah.

In teen years I got into reading Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys... I still love a good mystery to this day.

Who was your Childhood Hero?
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 2
Who Was Your Childhood Hero or Heroes?
Posted: 1/12/2012 11:13:53 AM
I so wanted to be Wonder Woman when I was a kid ! lol
 laskoboo
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 11:27:00 AM
Not sure I had one.

very rough childhood, grew up fast, on my own at 16.
I did not have the luxury of most teens, but AFTER 40... better off than most women.
I can't even relate to childhood hero stuff... oh well
 psytle
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 11:27:46 AM
I don't remember having heroes as a child and the closest analogue I have to that are real and fictional individuals that I admire as an adult.

I tend to admire outsider fictional characters striving to understand and emulate the best parts of humanity, like Data and Odo from the Star Trek universe and the Martian Manhunter from Justice League Unlimited. I love the irony that despite their outsider nature, their attempts to strive and seek for something better make them perhaps the most human characters of their respective series.

It's something people (particularly Americans) might want to keep in mind before harshly judging outsiders (like immigrants) that are attempting to assimilate to a different culture.

I'll have to give some more consideration to the people I admire in real life. I think I admire the acts of people more than the people themselves.

A good example is around 2001 or so, when a very flustered girl was trying to sing the United States National Anthem before a professional basketball game, but she had forgotten the words. Maurice Cheeks, the then head coach of one of the teams playing, got up from the bench, stood right next to her, did his best to sing with her and help her remember the words. Now, THAT'S classy.
 daynadaze
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 11:29:10 AM
Superman from the TV show, I was sure one day he would fly in and save me from my life. In my teens it was Gidget, both Sandra Dee from the movie and Sally Field from the TV show, I just knew if one was small and cute as can be that they would be loved and cared for. For many years I had daydreams of being a super hero and saving people from peril.
 veevee
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/12/2012 11:45:18 AM
Nikola Tesla because I'm half Serbian
Fozzie bear from the muppets, he keeps trying no matter how much they boo him
A Science teacher I had who seemed to have life figured out and a nice butt to boot
Cowardly Lion from Wizard of Oz - yes I know all the words to his song lol
 Molly Maude
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 11:47:29 AM
when I was VERY little ... like 3 or so, I wanted to grow up and be a fast, sleek black stallion who could run like the wind ... my mom explained why that wouldn't be possible, i.e., you have to be born a black colt to be a black horse ... colts grow up to be horses while children grow up to be people ... so I had to stick to being a person ...

so then, about age 5 or 6, I decided to grow up and be a native American boy ... would only wear moccasins, spent time, walking thru the woods silently to sneak up on game ... practiced with a bow and arrows ... I got the same sort of explanation ... except this time, she enhanced my understanding of "born a boy - grow up to be a boy" ...

my hero when I was about 7 was Billie the Kid, more because he was ambidexterous, a sharp shooter and used pistols than because he was a psychotic sociopath ... so I practiced bimanual fast draws ... when my mother suggested my hero be Annie Oakley, I laughed at her and said Annie Oakley was a wimp ...

I think the reason I always focused on the masculine rather than feminine version was because ... even at a tender age ... I could see where the power was ... and it wasn't staying home with the kids, making sure a clean house and hot meal were ready when the power-house got home ...

for a while, I wanted to be the smartest person in the world and spend hours, reading the dictionary cuz I thought EVERYTHING must be in the dictionary ... I think I got to maybe the middle of the "G" section ...

I don't know ... I must have been a very twisted child ... ya gotta feel for my mother ...
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/12/2012 12:07:35 PM
Robin.

I thought he was hot.
 astrosky
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 12:10:04 PM
Zorro, Tarzan, Batman and cowboys...I used to pretend I was these guys all the time. Couldn't find any female heros, they were all too subservient to men...Like if I had the powers of the ladies on Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie, I sure wouldn't have wasted them on those boring guys....
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 12:30:55 PM
There were a slew of male hero types. The Lone Ranger, Zorro, Batman.

One VERY big on on my own list, was The Scarecrow in the 1939 Wizard of Oz. And yes, I still sing "If I only had a brain" regularly.

I never really got into the "he-man" types, like Conan the Barbarian, and Superman always seemed to me to have it way too easy.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/12/2012 12:53:16 PM
Captain American, and what he stood for. Liberal, Progressive ideals.
 nipoleon
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 12:59:48 PM
Anybody old enough to remember Sky King ?
But, then I saw Thunderball and I always wanted to be James Bond.
 psytle
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 1:13:47 PM

Sorry pystle I was a starwars anti trekky fan as a kid. In later years I realise trekky fans were more intelligent than starwars fans. i kinda f***ed up there by picking the wrong side lol;

Why does one need to choose one over the other? Each has their own unique strengths.

I've gradually come to realize that the Trek versus Wars debate is ridiculously stupid, because as much as some hardcore fans of either will hate to admit, either series wouldn't have their iconic place in pop culture without the other series. For example, the syndication of The Original Series in the 70s undoubtedly made it easier for Lucas to sell audiences on a space movie more sophisticated than chromed out 40s era rocket ships with Martians trying to take our women. Furthermore, the success of Star Wars convinced Paramount of the commercial viability of science fiction on the big screen, which led Roddenberry to convert his Trek spinoff television series into the Star Trek movie series.

Other fictional characters that I admire: any character portrayed by Jimmy Stewart in a Frank Capra movie. To the best of my knowledge, that's only two characters: Jefferson Smith, in Mr. Smith goes to Washington, and George Bailey, in It's a Wonderful Life.

In both instances, I love how both initially optimistic characters experience some horrific setback from exposure to the "real" world, and manage to both overcome what the "real" world throws at them AND retain their optimism.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/12/2012 1:21:40 PM

Anybody old enough to remember Sky King ?
But, then I saw Thunderball and I always wanted to be James Bond.

Hey! My father was in that movie!
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/12/2012 3:10:50 PM
For me it was my Nana(one strong woman) and second Terry O 'Reilly hockey player with the Boston Bruins, he was tough, mean, a leader.

Third is a fictional character from Ayn Rand's book Fountainhead a character named Howard Roark, A man of strong convictions

Welsh474
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/12/2012 3:16:18 PM
My childhood hero was and still is my Dad. And my grandmother. I learned more from those two than any stupid superhero, tv character, book character or movie star.
 BegrabMeinHerz
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/12/2012 3:30:50 PM

My first love and hero was the Cisco Kid.

That is hilarious because when I was four my cousins gave me my nickname. Pancho. They still call me that.

Sweet Daddy Siki and Tor Kamata, wrestlers from a bygone era. I did get to see Sweet Daddy Siki wrestle in person and watch him hit another guy over the head with a chair. There was blood everywhere which probably had a profound effect on me since I was only five.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 4:01:32 PM
nipoleon, did you mean Sky King and his niece Penny? and their audio of an airplane? or did you mean when it was on t.v. ... I remember it from radio! I always wondered why Penny hung around with her uncle ...
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/12/2012 4:04:34 PM
Batman.

Da da da da da......BATMAN!

Now I will have that lame song in my head all day.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 4:24:38 PM
OMG!!! HOW COULD I FORGET TO MENTION ROBIN HOOD???!!??

And, I do indeed remember Sky King. Tales of Texas Rangers!

Leif Erikson.

Real people? During my life, they got their clay feet expose so fast, it was very hard to hold on to one for long.

As an American Historian: George Washington, hands down. The more I've learned about him, the more I've appreciated just how much he really WAS the single most important and heroic person in our entire History. A genuinely principled, courageous, self-effacing, idealistic hero, and far more importantly successful as a military leader than most people realize.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/12/2012 4:29:28 PM
Robin hood ughhhhhhhhh, a capitalist worse nightmare, I grew up hating that story, I like to re write the Robin Hood story , Incessant act of thuggery by the criminal gang running group robbing the rich and giving it the poor? sure he did , the story would end he got indicted and sentenced to two life terms and his merry bunch of thugs doing hard time.

Great story that Robin hood, what does that teach our kids? its okay to rob people because they have more than you, its okay to be a criminal.
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/12/2012 5:05:45 PM
Larry Bird
Bo Duke
Angus MacGyver
Arthur Fonzarelli
Officer Frank Poncherello
Timothy Tebow
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/12/2012 5:09:10 PM
foxymoron74

Hated, hated, hated the Muppets BUT my older sister loved them, so I know by heart, Kermit's little song...

Half way down the stairs, is a stair where I sit,
There isn't any other stair quite like it,
I', not at the bottom, I'm not a the top but
This is the stair where I always stop..........

We only had one TV. Being the youngest, I didn't get much of a say. Of course, Dad always had the choice but then it went down the hierarchy ! lol
I was the 70's equilvalent of the remote being the one who was always told to turn it up, turn it down, turn it over or turn if off.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/12/2012 6:36:44 PM
This is just my personal experience. All women.

First: My mom, my grandmother, my aunt.

Then, in no particular order:

Cher, Tina Turner, Janet Jackson, Olivia Newton-John, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Janis Joplin, Carol Burnett, Jane Curtain, Gilda Radner, Vicki Lawrence, Diane Keaton, Wonder Woman, Peggy Fleming, Nadia Comaneci, Olga Korbut, Cathy Rigby, Chris Evert, Nancy Lopez, Billie Jean King, Charlie's Angels, Gloria Steinham, Mary Tyler Moore, Jayne Kennedy, Debbie Allen, Phylicia Rashad, Diahann Carol, Jane Fonda, Nancy McKeon, Lindsey Wagner, Billie Jean King, Sandra Day O'Connor, Geraldine Ferraro, Judy Blume, Erma Bombeck, Maya Angelou, D Jane Pauley, Barbara Walters, Diane Sawyer, Jessica Savitch...that's a good start.

: )
 Tah,
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/12/2012 6:59:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iGoMTFqsX0
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Who Was Your Childhood Hero or Heroes?