Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Rick Santorum      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 where4
Msg: 1
Rick SantorumPage 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Speaking of religion in politics, cough-cough, Santorum's catching on. He didn't do too well in New Hampshire. But then nobody expected him to, either, with their relatively low number of religious conservatives up there - compared to Iowa or South Carolina. Leading in to the Jan. 21st SC primary (as posted in Columbia, SC newspaper on Jan. 12) he's not looking too shabby:

Polling
Candidate Rasmussen Am. Res. Grp. CNN/Time/ORC PPP
Gingrich 18 pct. 24 pct. 18 pct. 23 pct.
Huntsman 2 pct. 2 pct. 1 pct. 4 pct.
Paul 11 pct. 9 pct. 12 pct. 9 pct.
Perry 5 pct. 2 pct. 5 pct. 5 pct.
Romney 27 pct. 31 pct. 37 pct. 30 pct.
Santorum 24 pct. 24 pct. 19 pct. 19 pct.

Notes: Rasmussen: Friday; 750 likely S.C. GOP primary voters; margin of error 4% • American Research Group: Friday; 600 likely S.C. GOP primary voters; margin of error 4% • CNN/Time/ORC: Friday; 485 likely S.C. GOP primary voters; margin of error 4.5% • Public Policy Polling: Sunday; 1,112 likely S.C. GOP primary voters; margin of error 2.9%

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/#storylink=cpy

Santorum's pretty d*mn scary to me, and not only for his strident religious views. I, for one, am not anxious to get into another war right away. Check out this video of Santorum running his mouth at a campaign appearance in SC this week:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8uNcIEvGdo&feature=youtu.be

I have plenty more to say about Santorum but just wanted to jump in and start a thread about him here.

itechman63
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/13/2012 5:32:48 AM
Notice how in New Hampshire where they allow Independents to vote in either party's primaries that Santorum finished a distant 4th. The extremism plays to the base but it doesn't play nationally. A Santorum ticket in November will not carry the Electorate so we can all breath easy.

Romney doesn't energize the Conservative base because he's moderate but would stand a chance to bring Independents and Undecideds to the GOP in the General Election given the dissatisfaction with Obama.
 .dej
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/13/2012 12:37:42 PM
Rick Santorum is the closest to an insane, delusional zealot that we have in the running for president. 4 years under Santorum could prove to be even worse than 4 more years under Obama.

And I don't say such things lightly.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 4
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/13/2012 7:04:54 PM
If Santorum has a strong showing, don't rule out a: Romny + santorum Rep Ticket. Santorum will be the fulcrum to secure the extreme right's votes.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/13/2012 8:24:32 PM
Santorum. LOL . You want more whine with the cheese? Everytime i hear him in debates he sounds like a whinny little kid. And this guy doesn't really have any room to talk, He was the ear mark king when he was in office.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/14/2012 11:08:23 PM
Newt and Santorum are running for something. Who can make the most the dumbest off the wall comments in this election.

Santorum said recently...

We always need a Jesus candidate

I didn't know Jesus was running for office...

I wish some of these GOP candidates would stop using the Jesus card by trying to garner more votes for themselves. It's really pathetic....
 VGLGuySksFun
Msg: 7
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/16/2012 7:42:31 AM
How do you suppose Santorum or Romney would answer the following question...

"Should the United States be able to establish laws which respect specifically Christian beliefs and the Christian faith?"
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/16/2012 1:30:50 PM
No, because that would be breaking the law of the seperation of church and state itself. As soon as you start push laws for faiths that's when you start seeing faiths become apart of gov and that's what you don't want, the middle east is a prime example of that where countries base their gov laws around their faiths.
 where4
Msg: 9
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/18/2012 12:04:49 AM
Oh, dayum! Here's some backstory to how Ricky-boy got the evangelical endorsement at the Texas ranch on Saturday:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/
Dobson decried Callista Gingrich as 'eight-year mistress' at conservative confab
By MAGGIE HABERMAN and ALEXANDER BURNS |
1/17/12 4:41 PM EST

At the now-controversial meeting of evangelicals at a Texas ranch, influential evangelical leader James Dobson made a strong pitch for Rick Santorum's wife — and noted that Callista Gingrich was her husband's "mistress for eight years," questioning whether that's what people want in a first lady, three sources told POLITICO.

The moment left several attendees at the confab at the Pressler ranch stunned, according to the sources.

It came on Saturday, before the group of about 150 conservatives voted on a candidate they wanted to back. On the third round of balloting, the vote went to Santorum, but Gingrich backers and other attendees have argued that the voting was done unfairly, and in a way that seemed to benefit the former Pennsylvania senator.

The meeting was initially described as an event to try to unite behind a single candidate to thwart Mitt Romney, but his representatives also ended up speaking there, and despite the third round of balloting — which took place after some Gingrich backers left, thinking the meeting had ended — broad consensus was never reached, according to multiple attendees.

"Dobson first talked about how great Santorum is," recalled one source, who had first-hand knowledge of Dobson's comment. "[He said,] 'I want to tell you that I've gotten to know Karen [Santorum] and she is just lovely. She set aside two professional careers to raise these seven children. She would make a fabulous first lady role model. And Newt Gingrich's wife, she was a mistress for eight years."

Another source confirmed the account, and said Dobson concluded the sentiment about Callista Gingrich with, "Who do you want as your first lady?"

"It was like a chill [set into] the room," said one source. Several people were offended by the comment, said another source, adding that it was noted among some participants that Callista Gingrich had only been married once.

The moment was referenced in brief in a Time Magazine piece earlier this week but without the specific remark about Callista Gingrich being a "mistress for eight years."

Neither Dobson nor a Gingrich spokesman responded to an email request for comment.

These people deserve what they get, pandering to the "extra chromosome crowd," as good ol' Lee Atwater liked to call 'em.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 10
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/18/2012 7:57:33 AM
I was watching an event where Santorum was speaking in New Hampshire just before the primary...he was asked about universal healthcare...his viewpoit is that health insurer's should be allowed to make unfettered profit...he also said that medicare reimbursement to doctors is so low that no doctor will be attending to medicare patients for long....he lambasted the PPACT for requiring that health insurer's pay out 85 percent of premium recieved in direct claim only leaving the insurer 15% for administration and profit....it was pointed out to him that private insurerer's historically have administration cost of in excess of 20% while medicare has an administration cost of 4%...this is where he said that insurer's should make as much as they can and ObamaCare's 85% requirement is unfair to insurer's...What a dipstick...he hasn't a clue.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 11
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/18/2012 11:21:19 AM

this is where he said that insurer's should make as much as they can and ObamaCare's 85% requirement is unfair to insurer's...What a dipstick...he hasn't a clue.

Don't you know that RS is a shill for the healthcare conglomerates; he is saying exactly what they want him to say in view of their support for him. Whether or not he himself privately believes in what he is saying is a totally different matter.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 12
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/18/2012 12:23:17 PM

Don't you know that RS is a shill for the healthcare conglomerates; he is saying exactly what they want him to say in view of their support for him. Whether or not he himself privately believes in what he is saying is a totally different matter.

So, you're saying that he was talking out of the conservative health industry PAC right side of his mouth.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 13
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/23/2012 6:14:59 PM
No frickin' way.

Santorum C.U.M. I'm afraid Stephen Colbert is just going to shut down his campaign. There just isn't any room for a satirist these days.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/24/2012 7:58:52 AM

Rick Santorum 'would urge daughter not to have abortion even after rape'

Rick Santorum would encourage one of his daughters to see a pregnancy created through rape as "a gift of human life" and urge her to not consider an abortion, the socially ultra-conservative Republican presidential candidate has explained.

In an interview with CNN's Piers Morgan show, the former Pennsylvania senator was asked at length about his hardline views on abortion, which he would seek to ban via a constitutional amendment.

Santorum said he had thought deeply on the issue: "When I decided to run for public life I was informed very quickly people wanted to know what my position on that was, so I went through the process of trying to better understand the facts. It became very clear to me that life begins at conception and persons are covered by the constitution, and because human life is the same as a person, to me it was a pretty simple deduction to make that that's what the constitution clearly intended to protect."

Asked by Morgan what he would do if one of his two daughters said they had been raped and were pregnant, and were "begging you to let her have an abortion", Santorum said: "I would do what every father would do – to try to counsel your daughter to do the right thing."

Asked whether this would rule out abortion even if the daughter felt having the child would ruin her life, he explained: "You can make the argument that if she doesn't have this baby, if she kills her child, that that too could ruin her life.

"This is not an easy choice, I understand that. As horrible as the way that daughter or son was created, it still is her child, and whether she has that child or doesn't it will always be her child, and she will always know that."

He added: "I believe and I think that the right approach is to accept this horribly created, in the sense of rape, but nevertheless, in a very broken way, a gift of human life, and accept what God is giving to you.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/24/rick-santorum-daughter-abortion-rape

Gee thanks god.

Every Sperm is Sacred (If a sperm is wasted God gets quite irate)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kJHQpvgB8
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 15
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/27/2012 11:14:29 AM
One can only hope that either Paul or Santorum break away from the GOP and run on their own ticket.
 itechman63
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/27/2012 5:12:50 PM

One can only hope that either Paul or Santorum break away from the GOP and run on their own ticket.

Paul voters will in large numbers vote Constitution or Libertarian if Paul is not available 3rd Party or write in because there isn't a bigger waste of a vote than to perpetuate what's been at work destroying this country for decades and is almost done with the job. Some will vote Republican but for the most part his supporters are not Republican... at least not since they realized the Republican Party actually vanished decades ago and these guys took their name.

I believe Santorum is a Christian albeit not a good one. You cannot be both a Christian and a War-Monger... for the Bible tells you so. That's just the misguided strategy of appealing to a limited base that a lot of Republicans for some reason seem to think will carry an election. While not completely insincere, Santorum's folks thought a male version of Palin would carry the same fervor as her own participation in 08.
 part deux
Msg: 17
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/27/2012 6:28:14 PM
He reminds me of the Greg Stillson character in The Dead Zone.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 18
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/30/2012 4:47:16 PM
^^^^You forgot the secret handshake...Paul knows it and Duke doesn't.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 19
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/31/2012 9:26:01 AM
I watched him speak in New Hampshire...he thinks that the PPACA's requirement that insurer's payout 85% of premiums received in direct claim payment is restricting insurance companies from making enough profit...and thinks that medicare's record of paying just 4% in administration costs harms doctor's because the reimbursement rate is so low.

What planet does this azzhole come from anyway???
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 20
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/31/2012 10:19:45 AM

if that is the best of the bad you can come up with to disparage Santorum..then he will look like a saint if he goes up against Obama.

Santorum's just another uber rightwingnut evangelist homophobe, islamaphobe, obamaphobe ...AND he would actually have to win a primary...which he won't...

All the right is going to be capable of doing is putting up a wrong religioned 1%er who's effective tax bracket is lower than 99% of taxpaying American's..Romney...against President Obama.

I just cannot wait to see what dirt comes up about Blain Capital once Romney gets the GOP nod.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 21
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/31/2012 10:24:07 AM
There's the whole "hypocrisy" thing with Santorum.

His wife lived in sin with an abortion provider through her 20's (increasing the ick factor is that he is the doctor who delivered her). Rick sponsored a bill to cap medical malpractice at $250,000; 5 years later he filed a malpractice suit for half a million. "Do as I say, not as I do" isn't a great campaign slogan. Of course, it's also the one Newt and Mitt are trying out, so it's not even original.
 cotter
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/31/2012 5:14:30 PM
^^^Message 39 ...
I do not watch "youtubes" because I prefer to respond (in the forums) to written posts.

Got anything you can post that is ... oh let's see ... the written word?

I'm looking for something that fits in the POF "quote" bars that I can use ... whether to agree or disagree with.

Why not post a statement on where you stand with things and then it can be debated ... or not.

(I'd just love it if Admin could just ban "youtube" from the forums. I see no real way to debate something that possibly changes from minute to minute.)
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/31/2012 8:30:10 PM
If Santorum wouldn't remind me of a whinny kid every time he debates I would actually like him more.

Everytime Santorum debates he reminds me of this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBhD0SrnHA
 .dej
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Rick Santorum
Posted: 1/31/2012 9:33:52 PM

I do not watch "youtubes" because I prefer to respond (in the forums) to written posts.

Got anything you can post that is ... oh let's see ... the written word?

I agree with this sentiment. I hate having to address Youtube videos.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 25
Rick Santorum
Posted: 2/5/2012 7:47:28 AM
I haven't gone to the sources, but just the name of your first source makes me question your veracity. You say exit polls are far more accurate (I agree with you, and that's why I'm convinced W stole both elections), yet the very name of the pdf you cite says, "Iowa_Caucus_2012_Entrance_Survey." An entrance survey is not an exit survey.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Rick Santorum