Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Accidental Road-tripping      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 1
Accidental Road-trippingPage 1 of 1    
Sometimes, when searching for the newest threads, a subject will appear which is not Province/State/Country specific yet the OP placed it in their province of residency.

If the subject matter isn't Province specific, it doesn't always register that adding a comment would effectively result in accidentally road-tripping and therefore a forum ban, even if the response is polite, respectful, and relevant to topic and the subject matter is relevant to a wider audience.

I wonder if it's possible to either make it visually more obvious that these are restricted forums (maybe by having the Provinces or States in bold text) or to change the posting rules, restricting only the initial post to the location of the OP. The AAG forums work by only restricting the OP by gender but both genders can respond, so this would be a similar idea.

These days, many people move around the world and country, and so there are likely many of us who would like to be able to comment on conversations which relate to places we lived in, grew up in, have family in or even are planning a move to. This would allow us to do so when the topic for discussion IS locale specific.
 Revilors
Msg: 2
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 1/13/2012 12:45:06 PM
I would also wonder if filters could be added to prevent road tripping. I've done it myself my accident...actually from the "newest thread section" because it's not until you travel to the thread that you could even know it's out of your area of allowed posting.

I'm sure it could be done by administration easily and makes more sense to prevent it through code than the moderators having to police it.

Also...for those threads that are posted in a local with no business being there...shouldn't they either be deleted or moved to the globals? I don't think a thread about hemorrhoids belongs in a local section. They affect all of us
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 3
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 1/13/2012 12:50:21 PM
This does seem like a rule that you can easily get caught in.

I remember once getting suspended for it once.

I had to point out to the moderator that in fact "I WAS FROM ONTARIO",
and I had every right to post there.

But alas ... I still had to serve my suspension, as he felt that surely I deserved it for something else that I had done.

Thank God that moderator no longer operates here.
lol
 Revilors
Msg: 4
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 1/13/2012 1:08:23 PM

The spirit of this rule is for the trouble makers who go into other locals to stir up nonsense on a continual basis. The odd accidental trip to "foreign lands" is overlooked,

Not always the case and I'm not complaining. But I got whacked for a thread that had to do with "single parents" and not at all specific to region. The moderator at the time was very understanding.

But I think we all seem to agree that in terms of man hours and intent it would be more efficient with code.

At any rate...I'm a little more conscious of the origination regardless of the subject.
 Falcon91
Msg: 5
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 1/13/2012 1:31:44 PM
Eh... I like how I got suspended for road tripping yet I had to point out afterwards that I might be moving to Nova Scotia next year so I wanted to get to see the forum and partake.

But anyways, after said suspension my permissions have been all screwed up so I can make topics anymore!
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 6
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 1/13/2012 1:41:35 PM
I've now been caught out twice by this. The first time, as a newcomer, I'll admit that I was not aware that the restriction applied to all comments in the thread and I thought it was just the OP that the rule applied to. My error completely for misunderstanding the rules.

The second time (today) I received a three day ban for commenting in Ontario's forum on the subject of 'Dating Etiquette' - purely an oversight on my part through not noticing it was out of Province to me - and in all fairness the ban was promptly lifted once I acknowledged and recognized I was in the wrong, albeit unintentional. But this was a subject which was not Ontario specific and it simply did not register at the time of commenting.

The moderator was very understanding but it doesn't seem to always be the case that 'The odd accidental trip to "foreign lands" is overlooked', especially as the ban was so lengthy due to my first 'offense'.

This has to be a heck of a lot of work for a handful of moderators who are trying to regulate the postings of so many users ?

Are we better to request that the thread be moved by moderators as suggested above ? (Obviously we can't add a comment to the thread asking the OP to post it in a more appropriate forum as that would result in a ban for us).

It is rather confusing too as people who request a 'Profile Review' in the wrong forum are advised to re-direct the appropriate forum yet this doesn't seem to be the case of the locale specific forums when a non-locale specific thread is created.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 7
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 1/13/2012 1:45:48 PM

Eh... I like how I got suspended for road tripping yet I had to point out afterwards that I might be moving to Nova Scotia next year so I wanted to get to see the forum and partake.

Exactly. It would be advantageous for you to comment in the NS forums in your circumstances. One perfect example would be UK events which are being planned now for the time you will be there. What better way to meet new people and friends then to be able to ask for more information and to attend.
 Dee4166
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 9/24/2014 2:38:19 AM
I've been warned that I have been "road tripping" here by a fellow member and went to see about it...Yes it appears that there have been 2 complaints now...Obviously some people have too much time on their hands...

I have been a member here since 2007 and there was NEVER a "rule"like this before...I have checked the posting guidelines etc, and have found it under "Posting Etiquette" and am BAFFLED as to why this rule is in place?
I am here to MEET PEOPLE and if they're from across the Pond or where ever that really doesn't matter to me...Why does it matter to POF?
I OFTEN see people from the UK on the forums commenting and even starting threads, so I'm confused as to why I am not allowed to post elsewhere?
While I understand the point for local activities, which I don't think that I'll be either interested in or attending, but, in my view at least...a topic is a topic and I really don't see what the issue is...Also I see something about "global forums" referred to but can't find those either.
If this IS a hard and fast rule...then I will have to rethink my membership as restrictions for their own sake, that make no apparent sense, are a bit of a pain. I also don't want to be limited in who I can speak to/get to know because of an arbitrary rule.
Please let me know why this is in place and how hard and fast a "rule" this actually is, so I can decide what I would like to do, about it.
Thanks!
 Dee4166
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 9/24/2014 4:09:03 AM
Also the two complaints are from people who don't even live in Australia, so,not quite sure whether they're volunteer mods or....? And how my posting there affects them?
 Dee4166
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 9/24/2014 5:02:19 AM
While I agree that this is a private site and they are entitled to make whatever rules that they wish, I am also a member and would like to have my voice heard on the subject...One of the MAIN attractions for me in OLD is that I can get to know people all over the world...I understand that one of the Australian forums for games was almost "taken over" by Canadians and I get why in that case, but for non-specific to the region topics...well I don't get it! Actually I STILL talk to someone that I met HERE who is from Australia many years ago, which obviously can't happen now...
It's unfortunate, really...
I will abide by the rules as any good "guest" does, but I will also be looking around for some place less restrictive in that way, as well...
Thanks for the feedback!
 Dee4166
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 9/24/2014 6:09:20 AM

The people/person (can't recall if it was one or two people that reported you) that reported you is not a moderator but the mods do rely on members to help them out with letting them know when a rule has been broken.

Sorry, if it actually affected THEM I would understand, otherwise, still think it's people with too much time on their hands...

Ultimately; you agree to abide by the site and all its rules, whether on the dating section or the forum section when you join, start messaging and posting.

Actually, no I DIDN'T agree to that when I joined,as it wasn't an issue and there was no rule regarding it that I was aware of, hence the continuing friendship with the person in Australia, who I MET on the Australian forums...

Anyways...enough said...
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 9/24/2014 6:47:49 AM

Actually, no I DIDN'T agree to that when I joined,as it wasn't an issue and there was no rule regarding it that I was aware of, ...

Roadtripping and being reported for it has been around for as long as I have been a member of this site and I've been here since September of 2005. I know this because I am a Canadian and back in those early days of POF, I too used to post in the Australia forums until it was pointed out that I was roadtripping and I was asked not to by a Moderator. Members can post in the Global Forums and your local Forum but anything else is considered roadtripping.

You can still continue your friendship with your Australian friend by e-mailing them instead of posting in the Australian forums.
 Dee4166
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 9/24/2014 6:47:49 AM

I have no comment to make on the person that reported you; personally I'd accept that I'd inadvertently broken the rules instead of blaming the outcome on a person that reported the rule breach.

There is absolutely no rule on the site that says you can't talk to people from other countries, you just can't post in their area specific forums unless you live there.

Oh yes I DO accept that it is my responsibility...I've just never taken well to people who feel a need to "police" a site that they do NOT work for...Especially when it is a subject that doesn't affect them in any way...
As for checking the rules, well, frankly it is a nonsensical one for me and I never would have imagined there would even BE such a rule!! In fact, when I went LOOKING for it, I had a DIFFICULT time even finding it...As I said...I have been a member for some time and would assume that new rules would be automatically displayed when "un-hiding" my profile as a courtesy to long-time members...perhaps I'm expecting too much! I don't know...Anyway, again, thanks for the input!
 Dee4166
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 9/24/2014 6:58:37 AM
Nope, had NO idea and nobody ever told me and NEVER saw that mentioned anywhere or even heard of the TERM, until now, sorry...Anyway, as I mentioned, if it doesn't suit me I will just go elsewhere...
Not arguing with the site's RIGHT to have the rule btw...Am just saying that it doesn't suit ME...So I will just do what does...
But thanks for the input...
 Dee4166
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 9/24/2014 8:01:42 AM
Oh! Interesting side note here...although there were OTHER people on that SAME THREAD who aren't from Australia...Funnily enough, THEY weren't reported!

Things that make me go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
 sunsetsam
Msg: 16
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 9/24/2014 8:20:22 AM

I've just never taken well to people who feel a need to "police" a site that they do NOT work for...Especially when it is a subject that doesn't affect them in any way...

Sadly, some people's high point in life was when they were hall monitors in elementary school and ever since then they try to relive their past glory.

LOL
 gingerosity
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 9/29/2014 3:34:00 AM
It's basically like a club that you don't get invited to unless you live in the immediate area.

Strewth. I'm in the Aussie club so I can let you sheilas in the back. Just bring some beer, try not to stick out like dogs balls, and she'll be apples.

The Aussie forum died straight after the link was removed anyway, so the anti-road-tripping rule is about as useful as tits on a bull now.
 Worbug
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 10/18/2014 5:21:08 AM
I did it once, but I did not know there was a rule. My son was awarded to be a educational Ambassador to Australia from his HS during his senior year. I cannot remember if I opened a thread or tagged onto another thread, I was pretty green to posting procedures at the time. I was asking for some advice to give my son, simple stuff like cell phone use and money and nono's. That's when I found out just how unfriendly the Australian people are. With in a couple of minutes about a dozen posts slamming me with surprisingly rude comments. I quickly apolgized and deleted my post and told my son do not be surprised if he is not welcome there. Needles to say I have a whole different look at the Australian people. Funny enough, out of all my travels, Austrailia was the one place I had always wanted to visit, now, not so much.

I really do not understand the rule but not a big deal for me, I just didn't know about rule. The only thing I would ad is that there should have been some kind of a parameter to keep me from posting due to my geographic location. Problem solved.
 DragonBits
Msg: 19
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 10/18/2014 6:01:29 AM

Oh yes I DO accept that it is my responsibility...I've just never taken well to people who feel a need to "police" a site that they do NOT work for...Especially when it is a subject that doesn't affect them in any way...

Generally speaking, people aren't really policing a site. Sometimes people will report a new poster who is causing real problems, but the majority of the reporting is because you annoy some poster or small group.

What happens is your posting style annoys certain posters, and they will go out of their way to look for anything that looks like a violation.

The Mods can either warn you, or ban you for a limited time with no warning.

I was never warned about anything, it was always a suspicion. It's very easy to road trip when you only look at the forums by doing a search since all thread topics will come up. Then you have to look at the specific forum the thread is in before you post.

It's not easy to write rules for anything global in nature, as I have written policy for global companies.

I remember one rule I created that said cables should be no more than 50 feel long. The reason I said 50 feet was that was the longest cable I could find to test to see if it worked OK. But I knew longer cables would work. Years later I used a longer cable and someone said it would never work because of this rule, not knowing I was the one that created it.

Point being, often rules are arbitrary or have a good reason when they are created but become irrelevant at some future date. But people still blindly follow even silly rules.

But I am in the camp that doesn't question why a rule is in place. I might point out how ridiculous or unfair some rules are, but the forum isn't that important to everyday life, so why bother with trying to change the rule? Either follow the rule or leave. And plenty of old timers break the rules then delete their profile and create a new one getting out of any bans. IMO most posters without a picture are the ones that create multiple profiles each time they get banned. Old posters with brand new start dates are either looking at appearing new or want to avoid having a record of violating the rules.

It's very difficult to get any rule changed whether it's a forum, a Government or any institution, I wouldn't get that worked up about it.
 4forumzgal
Msg: 20
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 10/18/2014 4:29:04 PM
As Gingerosity said, us Aussies tend to turn a blind eye to road trippers in our particular forum. We tend to not see any harm in someone from the UK, USA or wherever joining in from time to time. I once posted in a UK forum and got bashed terribly and reported twice. I also got a stern warning from a mod..

I only said "I agree....etc etc". However, rules are rules I guess.
 cooldog65
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 10/25/2014 8:15:56 PM
The only thing I would ad is that there should have been some kind of a parameter to keep me from posting due to my geographic location. Problem solved.

That would pretty much solve the issue.

I accidentally road tripped into a British Columbia forum in September 2011 and I was not reported for it. I love my Canadian neighbors.

That thread went dormant 3 years ago.

I feel that reporting me for road tripping would be up to the participants of that thread or particular region...not an outsider.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Accidental Road-tripping