Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does one fare better with a paid membership here?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OccamsRazor13
Msg: 1
Does one fare better with a paid membership here?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
.....just curious. I see VERY few thumbnails with the little gold token. Was wondering what the forum populace thought about paid membership, and a person's luck on POF....

~Sean
 TerrieLynnC
Msg: 2
Does one fare better with a paid membership here?
Posted: 1/16/2012 9:06:58 PM
I really wouldn't say it made any difference.............and since you don't see a lot of them........a lot of others must feel the same way..........
 tjl503
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/16/2012 10:29:12 PM
The benefits,

Access to Ultra Match? WTF is that.

See if your emails were read or deleted. No Thanks.

Find out the date and time someone viewed your profile. No Thanks

See who viewed your profile and you voted yes/maybe on. No Thanks

Massive increase in emails. Yeah right

Number of people viewing your profile- Ok
triples.

Use themes on your profile. Themes? Really?

Stand out in all searches.

Send unlimited free gifts on email. Cheesy

Earn 100/150/210 credits depending on membership to be used for placing gifts
on profiles. Cheesy

This upgrade more than doubles your chances of meeting someone. YEAH RIGHT

Check out the hottest girls in your area who respond to messages. Doesn't mean they will respond to me
 ForumFilly
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/17/2012 12:00:12 AM
None of the couples I know that met on here were paid members, including myself and my fiance. It just depends on meeting the right person and I doubt that having a few more photos on your profile and whatever other 'special perks' paid membership gives you is going to make a big difference. You're an attractive man, your photos are cool and your profile is great so just give it some time and write to whatever woman attracts your attention. Ask her about something she's written in her profile so she has something to respond to. A generic "Hey, how ya doing?" won't get it. It just takes time so be patient and optimistic and don't take it too seriously. You should do just fine!!

Good luck!
 AddHomonym
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/17/2012 2:16:53 AM
I wondered the same thing myself. I couldn't see any benefit since free works great.

The only little gold medals I've seen were on profiles of people that didn't interest me.

Now maybe if paid members got an IM feature that actually worked, that might be worth something?
 ChevGirl78
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/17/2012 4:08:35 AM
For me I ignore those profiles....who is dumb enough to pay for a free site. Ya you get some extras but so what the main part is free!
 carptopus
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/17/2012 5:37:26 AM

Maybe.
Depends on if it actually changes your mindset.
Like if you pay and then are worried about paying months and months down the road, so you try harder to convey you are "serious" and you start paying less attention to "red flags" or in a sense "settle" because you want to see results faster to justify you paying the money and not feeling bad because you paid the money, you are incentivized to work harder to get your moneys worth .
But you "can" still do all that for free.

But if you pay them money, and don't really change anything you've done up to this point, I don't really see how it would help you be more "successful."

Kind of like going to a bar (that only serves 2 kinds of beer) on free corona night and wondering if you buy budweiser instead will you fare better at getting drunk, IMO.
 deerdog1
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/17/2012 6:13:04 AM
actually writing an interesting profile will do more than a paid membership... when I was looking on here I never made first contact ..but what I did do was spend some time and thought writing my profile ..and I got plenty of responses and Dates and more than a few from women just wanting to say WOW!

I do have a gift for the written gab..but like most guys my first profile on here was just like most others .. and I got no response... then I got to thinking and forced myself to write a profile that I thought would catch attention ...boy was I right ... then I became un-single and a forum dweller so my profile had to be deleted ..at the insistence of my wifey ..so now all my creative writing is restricted to the forums
 RIPTIDE59
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/17/2012 7:42:46 AM
@ OP .......just curious. Would the little gold token weed out the socially undesireable?
whack jobs? Gucci bags? Haters? the terminally disgruntled ? .........then it might be worth a few bucks. Again, POF is just a mirror of a very problematic society. Just sayin.........
 CheezyChick
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/17/2012 7:47:48 AM
I hardly notice, and it doesn't sway my interests in the least. If I'm not interested in a man, the little yellow dot isn't going to change that...and vice versa.
 Aries_328
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2012 7:57:01 AM
Although I primarily paid as a form of tip to the site for keeping it free. This is my second round and the first round was free.

I do have to say that the read/unread and last time they were logged in keeps my brain in check. That is just me though. I would hope that most people retain some bit of hope as they send that message off to a profile that actually attracted their attention. Seeing last logon 15 hours ago and still unread then that leads to last logon 7 min ago read/deleted :)

Most people probably don't care and just adapted to let go as soon as the send button is pushed.

Other than that… The other 'features' are almost unnoticeable. Doesn't make anyone like your picture more or compel them to respond.

I still get very infrequent responses from locals, either initial or as a response to my message.
 arts, dining, music, w/u
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/2/2012 5:06:44 AM
I never contact a paid member. I never respond to a paid member. I don't know anyone that does. Being a paid member on a mostly free site is a sign of desperation.
 Rob3444
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/2/2012 6:11:10 AM
@ ChevGirl78 I'm dumb enough to pay for the extra features on a free/paid site, but I'm smart enough to have the 10 bucks a month. You actually ignore those that pay for the extra benefits. lol

@arts, dining, music, So if a hot woman that could be just right for you contacts but is a paid member you and everyone you know just ignores them? BS! So 10 bucks a month is a sign of "desperation" are you serious?

Sure most don't pay so what but to knock those who do is hilarious. This must be the Wallmart stretch pants group.
 sometimesalady
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/2/2012 6:47:47 AM
I don't shop WalMart, but I also don't contact guys with a paid profile nor do I respond to any that do pay. I along with a growing numbers of others are using our lack of communication with those that do pay to show our disgust with the taking away of the former free benefits. When paying members realize they are losing out to the majority they will then stop paying. Then the administration will have to go back to being what he promised from the get, a free site.
 Rob3444
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/2/2012 6:57:37 AM
Oh so you are a part of a whole movement filled with disgust. I really doubt we are loosing out to the majority, most couldn't care less but you seem to have an army of angry villagers with pitch forks in there hand shouting free free free.
 carelesswhisper00
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/2/2012 7:19:20 AM
It's one way to get people to pay for a service that they amped up. The site has grown in popularity and they are taking advantage of offering payment to those interested. I would never pay to be on this site, period.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/2/2012 10:03:35 AM
don't shop WalMart, but I also don't contact guys with a paid profile nor do I respond to any that do pay. I along with a growing numbers of others are using our lack of communication with those that do pay to show our disgust with the taking away of the former free benefits. When paying members realize they are losing out to the majority they will then stop paying. Then the administration will have to go back to being what he promised from the get, a free site.

ROFL!

This site is offered FREE to people. Marcus, the owner of the site, doesn't OWE anyone SQUAT! He could shut it down tomorrow - then what will you do, sue him???

Those with a little grace will take the GIFT they were given - as long as it's given - and appreciate it as long as it's offered to you.

Talk about freakin' self-entitlement.

Honest to God, my brain is about to explode.
 scottey63
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2012 10:16:03 AM
I doubt it.

The paid membership options have created a whole new batch of forum posters who start threads complaining about other members who don't respond to their messages and delete them --they know the recipient viewed it!--and can't understand why they don't respond (because they're not interested, duh), and people who view their profile, maybe more than once, but don't contact them. Again, they're not interested.

These posters always remind me of that famous movie line, "You can't handle the truth!", because people who do this really shouldn't pay for the option if they can't deal with the knowledge that someone read their message and/or viewed their profile, and didn't contact them.

I'll admit I wasn't pleased when this became available only to paid memebers, but shortly afterward I realized I didn't care that much if someone read an e-mail and didn't respond, or if they viewed my profile more than once and didn't contact me. But then, it confirms without any trouble that someone's not interested. It's a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.
 Rob3444
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/2/2012 10:18:27 AM
You said it well jerseygirl2008 !

BTW everyone if you want a good date go to the food bank, they are giving out free hot dogs.

I don't even think I have ever taken the time to notice if the women I'm talking to paid or not, couldn't care less but some of the "I want I want" crowd should really put their money into an education.
 magicallaroundme
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/2/2012 10:43:34 AM
I'm for it. You see paid member and "long term" together and then you know you are dealing with effortless bukkake at the very least.
 DeerTaint
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/2/2012 10:49:09 AM

Then the administration will have to go back to being what he promised from the get, a free site.

I was never promised anything when I signed up.

The only thing I don't understand is how can they be sure of the" Massive increase in emails" and "find out who is most attracted to you". How can they know if someone is attracted to you???

If you want more emails, just keep posting on the forums.
 satho
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/3/2012 4:50:06 AM
Well, I used to frequent the site as a free member and recently paid to see if it would be of benefit. I guess time will tell but honestly it's not much different yet. I should have done more research. Oh well, I'll see it as a donation to the site.
 Daskate
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/3/2012 5:16:09 AM
Why pay? Then you'd miss all those great ads.
 InMyOwnTime25
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/3/2012 8:42:34 AM
I'm suspicious of paid members. It's like they couldn't get a date or message replies like everyone else on the free version, so they became desperate and HAD to pay hoping it will increase their chances. :P Or, they're someone who spends every minute on this dating site to the neglect of everything else in their life and is into the site more than the people on it. I wouldn't pay for this site if I had to!
 Rob3444
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/3/2012 9:06:18 AM
I'm suspicious of paid members. It's like they couldn't get a date or message replies like everyone else on the free version, so they became desperate and HAD to pay hoping it will increase their chances. :P Or, they're someone who spends every minute on this dating site to the neglect of everything else in their life and is into the site more than the people on it. I wouldn't pay for this site if I had to!

You're suspiciouse of people that pay 10 bucks a months? really?
Like every one else? Don't you meen like the % that does not pay?
Would you pay for anything of value?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does one fare better with a paid membership here?