Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > Make me one of your Favorites but never send me an email.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Blissfl
Msg: 1
Make me one of your Favorites but never send me an email.Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I have had a few men make me a favorite which is cool. However one of them sent me one email, never responded then made me a favorite. What is up with that?
Side note, anyone have any problems sending messages and having them not reach the sender on the POF website?
 dp30
Msg: 2
Make me one of your Favorites but never send me an email.
Posted: 1/19/2012 1:40:04 AM
i think people do that if they are considering sending you a message, so they can easily find your profile later on. They probably flip through a hundred profiles, and favorite a few then send some messages. Maybe they send someone else a message and start chatting and forget about the rest, or they may change their mind and decide not to message you after all.
 SeeingThingz
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/19/2012 4:15:14 AM
Yup I agree with dp30, if you are actually interested in any of the guys that favorite you then you should favorite them that way they feel more confident sending you a message.
 KalGrl
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2012 9:42:25 AM
Yep don't get the whole favorites thing. The whole online dating world doesn't make sense sometimes
 Blissfl
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/19/2012 9:01:23 PM
Thanks dp30, that never crossed my mind. Thanks everybody for the good info and tips. Best of luck to you all.
 dp30
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/20/2012 12:10:54 PM
you're welcome.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/20/2012 12:34:46 PM
I put women on my "favorite" list for 2 reasons, both as a bookmark, and as an "icebreaker", since this site does not have "icebreakers" such as "flirts" or "smiles", as some other sites do, which can be a quicker and simpler way to gauge someone's initial interest.
It can get time-consuming, as well as frustrating, to send out email after email, and get them either not read and deleted, or read and deleted and not replied to.

back4more70
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2012 8:37:59 PM
I used to add ladies to my favorites as bookmarks so I could easily find their profile later when I had figured out what I wanted to message to them. However, I stopped because I saw many profiles complaining about not wanting to be "favorited." So now I just copy the web address. My next step is to take the initiative and contact the women that favorite me first.
 renesd
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/24/2012 6:37:22 PM
I use Favorites as a bookmark; usually because I saw something interesting in their profile from My Matches.

If I was looking to date, I'd re-read their profile more leisurely and try to "read between the lines" to see if I think "we" had any promise. If so, I'd email and say hey.

Since I'm in kind of a weird place right now, I try not to Favorite anyone, no matter how interesting they are.

BUT-- I've had a few guys get really irate because I Favorited them. Whatevs....
 veesic
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/27/2012 1:14:11 AM
Dude, I get that exact same problem. also, lot's of people want to "meet me" but they never send a message,...what's going on bruh?
 ColeenAnn
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/30/2012 12:01:14 PM
I've also received a few hundred of those "I Want To Meet You" notices, yet I've emailed a few and have never once received a response. I think some people just fly through those punching "yes", "no", "yes" without ever having a look at the actual profile. This feature's a waste of time if you ask me.
 5150Rivergirl
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/30/2012 1:59:54 PM
Maybe Im cold hearted in some way, but, if I see they added me a favorite then dont send me anything after a few days or so, I just delete them from my fave's. I see no point other than to stalk, if you arent going to email. I get they might be too busy to email a quick line, so they save it for later...but if I see that you've been on since the date you added me, delete.
 ColeenAnn
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/30/2012 3:40:55 PM
Maybe I'm a bit cold hearted too Rivergirl. While I haven't deleted anyone for selecting me as a favorite, I DO delete them if they have a pictureless profile. I mean what's the point? Am I not supposed to be attracted too? If they aren't man enough to show who they are, then they don't need to know anything about me. It seems archaic this day in age to be on a dating site without pictures. They might as well take out a personal ad in the newspaper like people did back in the '70s.
 matchlight
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2012 3:57:53 PM
I think it's partly a design problem. It would be nice to have a quick, easy way just to put people you might want to look into later in a bookmark file, without notifying them that they're one of your favorites. I can see how the interest that suggests puts people off--at least most women--if you don't follow up on it pretty soon.

If you could easily note people you run across and think you might want to take a closer look at at your convenience, there'd be no pressure to go further right away--they wouldn't know you'd done anything. And you could still make someone a favorite as a gesture that you liked something about them.
 atlongcontrast
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/2/2012 5:56:35 PM
I usually put people on my favorites if I feel to lazy to write them a witty message, or if I'm thinking about whether to message them or not.
 Roujin
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2012 2:57:25 AM
Often times I will favorite a person while looking over people on my phone, but need a proper keyboard to write a thoughtful message, so its like a save feature.

My problem is that often I find once I am given time to write I can't find the words that don't sound generic so I just don't write.
 hell-n-back
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/10/2012 8:39:08 PM
I often put people on "favorites", hoping it will be an icebreaker. Bad idea? Ladies, it just gets exhausting sending out messages and trying to come up with something unique to say only to be ignored and not replied to. The hope is that she will see that I had "favorited"(don't think that's a word, lol) her and she will "favorite" me back or send me some kind of signal as to she would like to hear from me. It's kind of like smiling at someone in a public place. Does she smile back? Does she look away and ignore you? It works the same way. Am I wrong?
 KissCamGuy
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/12/2012 12:41:54 AM
Sometimes I mean to hit "send message" and hit "favorite" by mistake. D'oh. If that happens, I immediately remove them from my favorites. Why? If we're communicating through email, "favorites" is pointless. And if I get no response....then F you, why are you in my favorites?

I used to do it for bookmarking purposes. I've stopped that. Now I just use browser bookmarks, which I delete after I send a message.
 MaybeAsk
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/14/2012 4:58:08 PM
beyond all that... ever wonder how to categorize these people you add to favorites? basically, we all have facets to our construct but i was wondering today what the hell do i do with all these hot women in my favorites?

normally, i check for updates and new pics because essentially this is the type of activity that helps sites to grow. this site has always been rather simplistic. thats okay too i guess...

not everyone warrants your valuable time
 AmadorCA
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/15/2012 10:37:06 AM
Is there a way to remove yourself from their list?

I have 6 that marked me their "Favorite", but have yet to say something since 1/1...
 blonde.sugar
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/15/2012 10:41:33 AM
Pardon me for asking, but what is the purpose of a "favorite" list? And why should one want to remove themselves from one?
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/15/2012 11:52:37 AM
Msg 20 - Don't click them off so fast. They saved you for a reason.
They are planning to dump their current boyfriend, and lining up good prospects now to soften the fall.
When they do message you (and they will) and you meet and ask them what happened in their last relationships, they will tell you "he only wanted me for sex".
Best excuse ever invented :)
R
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/15/2012 2:16:51 PM

I often put people on "favorites", hoping it will be an icebreaker. Bad idea?

No, perfectly sane idea.

Sometimes, you just have to be creative to find what works.

TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/15/2012 3:09:55 PM

How hard is it to write," I enjoyed your profile and think we would get along. Check out my profile and let me know if you agree." Really?? Not that taxing.

Once or twice, not so taxing.
But if you read enough of these threads and see that a lot of guys send out 10 or 20 of those, with no reply, it does tend to get annoying.

If the majority of women don't see as that, are you really accomplishing anything?

If they are not accomplishing anything the other way, they are no worse off.

Success at this dating activity requires cooperation by both parties.

AmadorCA
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/15/2012 4:14:53 PM
I wasn't going to remove them, I just wanted to know if it was a two-way mechanism.

I have tried to contact them a few times, with a little note, but no reply...

It's ok - I've made a couple of really nice people on here (present company included), so I'm happy with the messaging back and forth :)
Show ALL Forums  > California  > Make me one of your Favorites but never send me an email.