Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > How does one influence LUCK??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 _FishingForAMermaid_
Msg: 1
How does one influence LUCK??Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
What is luck?? When it is positive, it is called destiny. When negative, fate. But what is it?? Luck controls every moment of our lives - whether we live or die. I have had many instances whereby I came close to being killed or seriously hurt. I have never won big on a lottery. I am unlucky when it comes to finding that special someone. What gives??

I once checked out Google thinking I might find a way to influence "Lady Luck" - for the better of course (at the time I was thinking how nice it would be to win big (or even anything) on a lottery.) I entered the word luck and over twenty million hits came back in about a tenth of a second. I looked at a few and they all wanted to sell me a good luck charm for only $4.99 plus a small shipping fee.

Given that luck plays such a significant role in a person's life, just what is it? Is anyone controlling it as it pertains to you and I? Can one change one's luck?

I ask this from a philosophical viewp0int. And if it is not luck that controls our lives, what is it??
 kohavah
Msg: 2
How does one influence LUCK??
Posted: 1/26/2012 9:03:22 PM
In my personal opinion, luck is merely the mathematical equation of a certain number of variables...bringing forth a given result. Like an engine...it has a timing chain, that must be carefully maintained and properly sustained or the calibration and timing get thrown off and the outcome is not as one had hoped for.

In as far as influencing luck, I would think that an individual would have to have a clear idea as to what it was they wanted. Is the outcome honorable? Is it realistic? Is it in the best interest of all parties concerned? If the answer to these few questions is not yes, then it is more probable that the outcome will generate bad luck for some or all of the individuals who become involved.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/26/2012 9:07:13 PM
Luck is what it is; it cannot be changed. If you can change it then its not Luck; but rather just circumstances within your control. What you call pure Luck(good or bad)that befalls you, is just random stemming from quantistic effects on all variables.
 gofrette
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/26/2012 9:21:28 PM
destiny can be either bad or good.
luck is good fortune. but you already know that part.

you cant change your luck. luck just is! the cards have been dealt the dice they done rolled
all you can do is be prepared.

at the very LEAST you don't want to miss the boat

EVEN if its the Costa Concodrdia.
 kohavah
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/26/2012 9:55:37 PM
There is a poster I read when I was at a refuge shelter that said, "There are more roads than the one you are on. It is your choice to take another path, or continue getting abused" I thought it to be quite thought provoking. Before the individuals arrived at the shelter, they had no protection. Now, their lives could take a different direction, if they re learned how to travel a safer route.

Luck is like a white magical light. Sometimes it takes bad luck, for us to recognize that what we had was not best for us. Many times we do not know that we are in the dregs of bad luck or a bad person, until we are shown the good luck and freedom from fear that can come from a luckier and better path.
 Con Ten Ted
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/27/2012 4:05:06 AM
SteveRen ..... an old friend told me that "LUCK" was only "PREPARATION" meeting up with "OPPORTUNITY". All you need to do is correctly identify the "opportunity" and then make the necessary "preparation" and you will have all the "luck" you will need ......

In the case of winning the lottery ....... simply BUY ALL THE TICKETS !!

Can't miss .........
 johnb1949
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/27/2012 4:33:01 AM
can't influence luck but you can better the odds. counting cards in blackjack for instance.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2012 5:38:06 AM
The difference between the concept of luck, and that of destiny, is that luck just happens, and doesn't care about the people it happens to. Destiny is the idea that luck is actually seeking you out, by the magical directive of a god-concept.

In either case, it wouldn't make sense to try to influence it, unless you are among those who both believe in magical beings, AND you believe that those magical beings can be "suckered" by someone worshiping just right, or playing up to the "god" in some way.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/27/2012 7:14:04 AM

By disregarding it.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/27/2012 7:28:42 AM
Statisticians call it chance; people who believe in magic call it luck.
 veevee
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/27/2012 8:51:11 AM
I find myself using the term like calling myself lucky if something happens or I fantasize about winning a lottery when buying a ticket but I also use terms like damn and don't believe in a hell or holy s***. I don't think it's a real thing. I don't think our lives are set in stone - if I did I wouldn't bother getting up because things would just happen if whether or not I rose daily. Since it's not real you can't influence it, in truth.

I can see luck two ways.
Twice the house I was in got hit by a tornado.
I'm lucky that I survived but unlucky that it happened more than once.

It certainly disrupted my life to have trees on the house and a loss of all utilities for 2 weeks during the worst one and my city to be called a federal disaster area but I also saw acts of kindness.

People helping other people remove debris, red cross trucks feeding breakfast to anyone that wanted it driving around the neighborhood. Fema stepping in and offering gift certificates to recover the lost food in your refrigerator and low interest loans to make home repairs. The tree cutter business was booming. I bought my first chainsaw and never had one previously. The events were unlucky but seeing people act well to each other was lucky and the slight boost in spending gave the economy a little cash.

I had a huuuuge tree that my ex hated because it dripped sap on his truck. That tree landed right between mine and the neighbors house when it fell damaging neither. My ex was so excited to cut that tree apart that he was giggling when doing it. For him, it was a lucky event lol I doubt the animals that lived in it thought it lucky.

Like most things it's grey instead of black and white. Depends on who is viewing the situation if it were luck or not. I think that people that do believe in luck think of it like a scale - if they haven't gained for awhile they are overdue and if they have taken losses they are overdue but we don't see it in the real world constantly playing out. Do we?
 kohavah
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/27/2012 9:28:33 AM
It is my perspective that good luck needs certain elements to come into being. For example...Veevee made the point that bad luck caused her house to get struck by a natural disaster...twice. I would think that being struck twice with bad luck would encourage someone to try to find another place to live that is not so prone to the bad luck of this type of disaster.

However I suspect that Veevee like most of us can not afford to simply pack up and leave. We can only do our best to prepare for the next round of bad luck that is sure to follow. Therefore it stands to reason that money, help and a safe place to live would be a better foundation for good luck to be realized.

Good planning and good work is more likely to influence good luck. Now if one want to determine if an event will lead to good luck or bad luck...all they need to do is study the same group of variables that led to the last encounter with either good or bad luck. Good luck and bad luck have many signs to direct us in their path. An individual may desire that a bad situation turn into good luck, but unless there are changed made to better one's hand in the situation, one's luck will not change and can even deteriorate into even worse luck.

If the one desiring good luck uses knowledge, action and the wisdom gained from their past experiences and the past experiences of others to influence their mind and conduct in a balanced way... this plan can enhance the positive elements of positive luck. Then as the wind changes and certain situations arise in their favor....their hopes and dreams have a chance to be realized.

Luck...is really nothing more or less than cause and effect...that has come about due to the actions or in action of others. In fact even a prophecy can have it's course changed, before the bad luck has a chance to be manifest if individuals are willing to better their selves in a more positive and fortunate course. I must remind myself of this truth all the time, and of course the obvious truth, that one can not expect good luck to come from any situation that has been proven unlucky...time and time again.
 nipoleon
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2012 12:14:28 PM
When you win, it was obviously the result of superior skill and preparation.
When you lose, it was luck.
 BalderDog2
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/27/2012 6:09:54 PM
I was going to say: There is no such thing as luck.

But then I thought: A person born into wealth sure is "luckier" than someone who is not. That "luck" will compound daily for the person born into money, sort of like interest. Sort of like their wealth.

You could also say, anyone whose is even alive--poor or rich--got very lucky indeed, just by being born. I'd say anyone lucky enough to get born at all has hit the cosmic jackpot:

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/abinazir/2011/06/15/what-are-chances-you-would-be-born/
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/27/2012 6:18:39 PM

But then I thought: A person born into wealth sure is "luckier" than someone who is not. That "luck" will compound daily for the person born into money, sort of like interest. Sort of like their wealth.

You could also say, anyone whose is even alive--poor or rich--got very lucky indeed, just by being born. I'd say anyone lucky enough to get born at all has hit the cosmic jackpot:

The keys to success:

Born with a talent.

Exposed to scenario that is in alignment with that talent. (earlier the better)

Exposed to an environment and people that can developed that talent.

Able to answer the bell when and if opportunity knocks.

More than not faced what would be perceived as major hurdles or had to face humility and was able to grow from that along the way.

Being born rich means increases those odds greatly as you will have opportunities and also for the most part be surrounded by successful people,. so if that gene is present it has a much greater chance at prospering.

That is why it is not uncommon to have a son follow in fathers foot steps, as all the ground work for an environment to prosper are there.

There are just as many equipped people in the poor people gene pool, but far few ever get the chance.
 part deux
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2012 6:34:37 PM
Your socio-economic status at birth usually decides if you will be "lucky" or not.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/27/2012 7:14:21 PM
There is no such thing as "luck." Originally, it was linked to the good or ill will of a deity, i.e. Fortuna. If there is no Fortuna, there is no luck. Luck is not a function of Christianity.

There is chance and there is action. We can increase the odds in chance occurrences sometimes, but not always: i.e. you have to buy lottery tickets to win. Our dedicated actions can bring about desired results, but people still say that they were "lucky" when this happens.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/28/2012 7:12:08 AM
'Luck' doesn't exist; therefore, one can NOT influence it.

Next question.
 DragonBits
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/28/2012 8:54:42 AM
Gwen, Lucky people create, notice and act upon the chance opportunities in their lives. Lucky people have a different personality from unlucky people.

1. Lucky people maintain strong ‘network’ of luck. It has been explained that lucky people are extrovert. They meet more people, they enter into more lucky draws and they connect to more people on daily basis. So, if you want to become lucky, try to be friend with more people. Talk to more people. Try to find new friends who can be helpful. Also, lucky people smiled twice as compared with unlucky people. (Therefore, please smile a lot if you want to be lucky)

2. Lucky people have relaxed attitude towards life. Lucky people are skilled in spotting opportunities that arise naturally. They don’t actively look for opportunities but their relaxed approach towards life help them notice whats happening around them.

3. Lucky people are ‘open’ to new experiences in their lives.

I know it really should be common sense, but some people never get out of their box and think they are unlucky because the walls close them in.

My lotto ticket number is 1,2,3,4,5,6. My theory is if it comes in anywhere in the world, I will see it in the news. Still waiting.
 _FishingForAMermaid_
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/28/2012 9:38:26 AM
Some very insightful comments posted on this thread. However, no one has provided any insight as to what controls our lives. I probably did not explain where I was coming from very well. If one uses the word chance instead of luck, would that be better? Each and every one of us has a unique life. Some are short; some are long. Some are good (in this read all the positive things in life - especially food, shelter, clothing and then the extras); some bad (e.g. being born in a third world country to poor parents). Some are born to kind parents (who provide and foster the positive things like getting a good education in order to be able to get a good job, etc.); some to bad parents (e.g. who are on welfare or drug addicted). Some do good in life (e.g. get ahead in their career; do kind things for others); some do bad (resort to crime; turn to drugs; blame anyone else but themselves for their lot in life).

I use the concept of luck (or chance) to describe life in general. If it is not luck that controls our lives - from the start to the end and everything in between), what is it??
 Meeting_At_The_Crossroads
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/28/2012 12:05:46 PM
What influences one's socio/economic/educational situation in life?? Being born "lucky"? Why are some people lucky in different ways - they win a lottery, they do not get sick like others (perhaps because of good genes), why do they excel where others fail. It strikes me that there is a god of chance, or some other entity that is controlling our lives. I too have no other explanation as to why I have good fortune in so many ways and others do not.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/28/2012 1:37:19 PM
" ... I use the concept of luck (or chance) to describe life in general. If it is not luck that controls our lives - from the start to the end and everything in between), what is it?? ... "

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it
~ Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám

Luck. Chance. Destiny. Fate. Fortuna. ... it's all superstition in modern clothing. Life and the course it follows is entirely accidental. The fact that any of us are even here is an accident resulting from the collision of sperm with egg. Had that not taken place, none of this would even matter. It would be just as appropriate (or 'inappropriate') to speculate on the fictional nature of 'alternate universes' as it is to attempt to quantify which specific components join together to give each individual his or her own version of the thing known as 'luck'.

'Luck' does not exist. The universe in general, and life in specific, are random events over time, strung together like pearls on a strand, each event separate yet part of a greater whole. The only viewpoint that enables one to see each individual component in relation to all the other components is that offered by death and the hoped-for 'miracle' of the 'afterlife', in which all things are known and the pattern of our life is revealed to us as whole cloth. If you believe that sort of rot, I have some wonderful land on offer and I'd love to talk with you about it .

Once again: There is no 'luck'. There is, however, more than enough superstition to allow people with too much time on their hands to believe such a thing exists. Barnum still lives, and W C Fields rules.
 Pathagarus
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/31/2012 7:42:57 PM
The influence of luck is simple, it's called Karma. Build up a lot of good karma you'll most likely build up some good luck. Another thing as well is perception. Bottom line, all 'luck' we make with our choices and what we do. Reality is it's just more complex than saying it's just luck. Luck itself is an expression for something you don't fully understand how it worked but it did is all.
 kailania
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/31/2012 7:53:30 PM
if you are having a lot of negativity (or bad luck) in your life,
I have heard it said that to change your luck: change where you live.

(or change your job, or something major)
 xlmagboy
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/1/2012 10:25:00 AM
I ask this from a philosophical viewp0int. And if it is not luck that controls our lives, what is it??

"it" is mathematics. Sorta like the internet waves with all kinds of numbers everywhere.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > How does one influence LUCK??