Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Lacking the sense of style      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 G00DTIM3Z
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Lacking the sense of stylePage 1 of 1    
Would guys be willing to date someone who doesn't have any sense of fashion?

Or do you prefer your ladies to be in heels/dresses etc?

Personally, I wear the basic work wear outfits and at home
is jeans and simple dress shirt or tee shirts........... never
wear heels anymore either. I still fix my hair and wear make
up and everything is colour cooridinated but i Definately don't
dress up the way women normally do!
 4x4fan
Msg: 2
Lacking the sense of style
Posted: 1/28/2012 1:50:15 PM
Unless the guy is metrosexual, or works in the fashion industry and fashion is his life, he won't care.
 gronkrocks
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/28/2012 1:57:34 PM
I personally like a girl that can dress up for a night out, but still rock sweatpants and a tee shirt on lazy days. Guys like variety in women.

I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker. A lot of guys will love it, they seem to like girls that are "like one of the guys."

Just make sure you keep showering and brushing your teeth and you should be fine
 RyanRoland
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/28/2012 2:03:27 PM
Coming from a guy in a tanktop and jeans.. lol

It does raise some questions. I often look at a girls hair, how she puts herself together, and choice in clothes as am indicator for how well she takes care of herself. How do your teeth look? If its obvious that your hygiene is top notch, then the only person who would have a problem with your style are the types the guy mentioned above.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/28/2012 2:14:09 PM
Versatility is the key.

If we are going to a clambake, dress for a clambake.
If we are going to the opera, dress for the opera.

If someone dressed the same way all the time, that is not versatility.

SexyKG74
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2012 2:25:07 PM
OP, I work corporate in the fashion industry, and I don't walk around "dolled up" (if I can even say that) 24/7...to me, it's unrealistic, unless you're a celebrity.

I tend to dress for the occasion...so if I'm hanging out with a guy at his place or mine, or doing something casual, I think it would be unrealistic to be wearing a $250 dress and 4"heels...just as it would be rather awkward to show up at a 5-star restaurant or as a guy's date to an event wearing yoga pants and a t-shirt.

You do NOT have to spend a lot of money in order to look good/presentable...

I think it's more important to be neat and clean...

I've had this conversation with male friends...and yes, there are guys who like the woman who looks good and likes wearing the body-conscious clothing with the heels and glam makeup, there are also just as many guys who like a woman who keeps things simple, yet knows when to take it up a notch or two...

Many guys have told me it's not what a woman wears, but if she has enough sense to wear clothing that fits her appropriately/that is actually flattering to her body type...nothing worse than a woman who wears something just because it's the new trend, yet they're not meant to wear it because of they're body type, or a woman who is wearing something yet she's tugging at it all day because she's uncomfortable...
 c_deacon
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2012 3:31:37 PM
Dress for the occasion and what is you, your style, personality, etc.

I have to dress up and wear suits, ties, and all the corporate attire needed to do my job and handle people and situations. It is one reason why I do not have any tattoos the would show when out in the corporate world, and I even take my earring out for many of the more conservative groups I might have to address.

None of this is me all of the time, and when I am free to be me, I am in jeans, shorts, sweats, leathers when riding my Harley, with much of my attire being for those occasions. All it does mean, is that I know where I get my money and how, and where I have my fun and how, and what ends up being me when I have no one else to report to.

It is nice to see women dressed with nice clothes and heels, looking sharp and sexy, but it is just as nice to see them in tight jeans, or shorts with tank tops looking just as sexy in my eyes, if not more, then those that dress up most of the time.

Relax and be you.....

cd........
 Silent Steel
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2012 3:43:59 PM
A "sense of fashion" is nothing more than a personal opinion, that gets manipulated by others on a constant basis. If the fashion industry told us that wearing coats made of the fur of animals that were still alive when they were skinned, was the newest fashion, people would wear them. Er um.....well I guess they have already done that, but its hardly considered fashion when you consider that barbarians did the same thing.
 Jimbonator62
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2012 3:54:54 PM
Depends on the occasion, if you dress like a slob for our first meet or date, and yes this has happened to me, then I'm a bit leery. Kind of sends a message that you just don't give a crap. Once we know one another I say dress for the occasion or activity.
 RockabillyPaGirl
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2012 4:05:49 PM
I am usually a jeans and t shirt kind of girl. I usually go for comfort.

Last night I dressed nicely to go out. Comfortable heels, nice jeans, a top that was modest but showed my curves , had my hair done nicely, wore subtle makeup. Guys were looking hard, and quite a few came over to chit chat. My girlfriends who went for comfort who are prettier than me imo got passed over. (Jeans a baggy sweater and comfortable ugg like boots. Hair in a pony tail.) We were just out at a national chain and decided to eat in the bar area instead of waiting for over an hour for a table in the main part of the restaurant.

I am sure my confidence also played into it too. I am going to wear heels more often...
 Origionalname
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/28/2012 4:08:05 PM
I couldn't care less. Not a one bit. I don't do fashion myself, especially not superficial branded/expensive designer gear. I'd rather have a Primark girl.
 Landra2
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2012 4:36:52 PM
Well, ask yourself the same question:
Would you be willing to date someone who doesn't have any sense of fashion?
 conundrum9
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/28/2012 5:03:13 PM
well for starters u assumed what u call fashion is same opinion as mens. no we dont care what u wear at all. its proven psych fact. we dont give a f what u wear. most girls look worse the harder they try to dress up
 Dan0777
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/28/2012 6:13:07 PM
I don't care as long as I like the person. I would prefer she dressed reasonably well, but if she's the kind of person I like, I normally won't care.
If she dresses like 'the people of walmart' I may make some suggestions... but that's all
 SomeStrangeMan
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/29/2012 1:00:55 AM
Fashion is just stupid.

If you want to turn a guy on, sexy clothes from any era are sexy clothes.
If you want to appear prim, proper and businesslike, then suit fashions have basically not changed in a long time.

If a woma looks the way she would look first thing in the morning, and is pretty looking that way, then thats perfection for me. I wake up horny.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/29/2012 1:39:19 AM

Would guys be willing to date someone who doesn't have any sense of fashion?

I would rather she have a sense of style. Jeans and tee’s are fine. A pleasing haircut, minimal make-up, simple tastes. No-one I know wears heels.
 --Zen--
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/29/2012 2:46:24 AM
I'm notorious for ignoring pop culture and fashion. Though I'm not extremely opposed to wear something fashionable as horrible as it may sound I am actually proud of my ignorance.
As for my woman, I want her to wear nothing. Skirts are highly preferable however what she likes to wears in public isn't my department. She can rock out a renaissance dress if it makes her comfortable.
 daspecimen
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2012 5:31:31 AM
i don't think guys care too much because most don't want to make an effort all the time either.

sometimes you have to make the effort but i can't imagine its a deal breaker for 80% of men
 RT_2
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/29/2012 6:49:56 AM
Fancier outfits often look worse than simpler, more comfortable ones.

I prefer when girls think for themselves what to wear instead of following fashion trends. Silly to buy a blue dress just because the first lady wore one at a speech.

The fashion industry seems to be run by gays and lesbians who want women to look as horrible as possible so men won't get any enjoyment looking at them. Disclaimer: I'm sure many gays and lesbians dislike high fashion too.

Heels are impractical.

I appreciate nice feminine clothing such as tops with buttons on the left.

Most of the girls I do things with wear jeans or shorts or athletic pants or simple looking skirts.

I like it when girls can wear the same outfits for years. Economically practical and it shows she maintains her level of fitness.
 windchymes
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2012 8:54:10 AM
There is a line I have read soooooo many times in a lot of guys' profiles, which goes something like, "I want a woman who is as comfortable in a dress and heels as she is in jeans and a t-shirt". I'm sure there are a few exceptions where there are guys who want someone who will wear short skirts and heels all the time and girls who are glad to oblige, but they're probably in another website....

Wear whatever's appropriate and comfortable.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Lacking the sense of style