Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > skirt length when over 50      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rhonda333
Msg: 1
skirt length when over 50 Page 1 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
So, disregarding fashion changes that raise/lower hemlines every year, how high is acceptable in a woman just past 50? Given that she's got pretty good legs from what the men say. This has always bothered me because I'm tall, and skirt lengths are cut for a woman 4 or 5 inches shorter than me- makes everything I wear above the knee. Girls?
 bronzcoco
Msg: 2
skirt length when over 50
Posted: 1/28/2012 3:16:07 PM
Comfort and appearance are very important when it comes to skirt length. Age is just a number and is not a necessary factor in this equation. If you feel comfortable with the skirt lengths that you have been wearing and you take care of your overall appearance, then it is up to you what you decide to wear. You are a professional woman, so do proceed with your own opinion. If you are somewhat apprehensive about the length of some of your skirts, then I am sure that you can find an excellent seamstress or tailor to customize your skirts to your preference.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2012 3:17:38 PM
What I've found in general for all people (especially including myself) is that wearing clothes that actually fit, is what's most important. Much more important than the style itself.

Since you are relatively tall, if you are buying skirts and dresses made for shorter women, they will look wrong on you no matter how lovely your legs might be. If the waist is set too high, you might look downright idiotic.

As for my tastes, I like hot women of any age who have nice gams. But I also know that there are folks out there who actually get angry when they see an older person wearing styles that they think are for younger folks.
 bronzcoco
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/28/2012 3:25:41 PM
[But I also know that there are folks out there who actually get angry when they see an older person wearing styles that they think are for younger folks.]

How can a person be negative about an older person who feels good enough about themselves to wear a (youthful) style that they enjoy? I will never understand that. Those people are either very narrow-minded or they are just jealous. I think that is unfortunate. I say, if you've got it, then flaunt it with pride!
 *army mom*
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/28/2012 3:37:34 PM
I'm a huge fan of What Not to Wear and I agree with the "no miniskirts after 35" opinion. A lot of people apparently disagree with that advice judging from the number of over-50 women I see wearing miniskirts in the warm weather. I think an over-50 woman looks perfectly respectable with a skirt an inch or so above the knee. Anything shorter just looks like you're trying too hard.
 c_deacon
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2012 3:38:32 PM
If you have the body and legs to show it off right, there is no age limit for shorter skirts, but there are rules when working, and a conservative thought process when dealing with those that are conservative.

When I see those teens and 20 somethings wearing short skirts and dresses that leave nothing to the imagination, even though young and with younger bodies, they look cheap in my mind and not classy at all. And when I see women in their 40's and 50's wearing short skirts that do not flatter them, or their bodies just do not favor that look, they will be perceived as looking cheap and not classy as well.

There are many women though that are in their 40's and 50's, that are in great shape, attractive bodies and legs, and look absolutely awesome in shorter skirts and dresses, and yet they also show the class to know where to stop that hemline......

cd........
Posted: 1/28/2012 3:46:18 PM
If you have nice legs and the dress fits your features go as short as your comfortable with. Obviously any camel toe would be in bad taste.
 RIPTIDE59
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/28/2012 5:06:21 PM
@ OP Just checked out your profile. Doin fine. Matter of fact my mother wore a leather mini into her 70's that was much shorter than that. BTW, maybe that was her 80's. There's no shelf life on nice long legs.
 southmeetswest
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2012 6:11:21 PM
wear what feels good to you. if you look in the mirror and like it, go for it!

i totally don't get the thing that there is an appropriate age for certain articles of clothing and their features (length, cut, etc)

i believe that we spend too much time worrying or thinking about what other people think. the ones that don't matter especially.

the only time i take heed of what people think is in my work environment. i have a brain and can figure out what is acceptable to me in all other environments.
don't waste your time or energy dwelling on insignificants like what is acceptable to others. we only get one life, one body, enjoy it!

kaylee
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/28/2012 6:58:14 PM
I'm not a person who follows the latest fashion trends...fashion fades, style is forever. So I tend to stick with classic lines and colours. I know what works for my body type and what is flattering. Skirt length...hmmm, for me, maybe a inch or two above the knee...no shorter.
I haven't worn a min skirt in years...I remember how I used to horrify my mother with how short I wore them...lol

....mae
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/28/2012 7:52:23 PM
OP, wear what you want to wear. Some people are sheep and follow the flock; others say, "Eh, I like this and I am going wear it/do it/flaunt it."

When I turned 40, my sister told me that I needed to cut my hair. I didn't. Most women within my age range have short hair, and many spike it--they all look alike.

I wear short skirts; I wear long skirts; my hair is to the bottom of my butt; I buy shoes in the junior department. If I look ridiculous, then I, and I alone, will bear the brunt of criticism.

But I find it interesting that students not even in my classes stop me to say, "You dress awesome!" Strangers in stores and pubic places compliment my clothes.

Do what you want to do--to hell with them.

Except at work, of course: time and place and all that.

wear what feels good to you. if you look in the mirror and like it, go for it!

i totally don't get the thing that there is an appropriate age for certain articles of clothing and their features (length, cut, etc)

i believe that we spend too much time worrying or thinking about what other people think. the ones that don't matter especially.

the only time i take heed of what people think is in my work environment. i have a brain and can figure out what is acceptable to me in all other environments.
don't waste your time or energy dwelling on insignificants like what is acceptable to others. we only get one life, one body, enjoy it!

kaylee

Spot on.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/28/2012 10:08:22 PM
It is not so much age as it is about body type. Think in terms of balancing the length of limb showing with the amount of torso covered and playing up your best physical aspects. You are very lucky to be tall and thin so you can pull off a figure skimming pencil skirt and that falls just above the knee, pair it with a kitten heel pump and still look very classy and sexy at any age.

Mini skirts that are mid thigh are not going to flatter you because it will make your long legs seem disportionate to your body...unless you wear them with a duster jacket, opaque tights and a thigh high boot to balance the areas covered with those that are not.

My suggestion is to kill some time in one of those high end dress stores that offers free stylist consults then re-create their suggestions on your budget.
 kailania
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/28/2012 10:11:08 PM
I have to wear what I feel good in.
If something doesnt feel right and I wear it..no matter what anyone else says..
I will want to change to a different outfit.
In the summer when my legs are tan, and if I am at my slimmest,..I do wear shorter skirts.
my legs are not tan in winter and it is colder, so I wear longer skirts...maybe knee length or a few inches shorter.
this also depends upon your environment. If I am up in the country as I often am...
shorter skirts work fine.
Visiting the city I go a bit longer, more conservative in the city.
 Larrytwa
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2012 10:31:42 PM
OP

Because you are tall the dress looks appropriate. Less black unless you are going to a funeral.

Allot of women think dressing 23 is appropriate at 50. Not!

Jeans, dress mid length, less black I know the people sell it as a slimy appearance,
Just look at it this way if you think black going to hide the flaws when your neked, well I doubt it unless the room is without any light source.

Color also send different messages to your mood. Black is a sign of DEATH.
 egowitch
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/29/2012 6:29:21 AM
To me - this is the ESSENCE of mental aging - when someone focuses on the appropriateness of a certain behavior , based on numbers, rather than what works for THAT individual !

I've always been a runner/bicyclist/hiker , and my legs reflect that in good ways, and have received many compliments through the years . When I'm in the mood for short skirts - or shorts , I go for it, and look just fine ! Age be damned !

valenciacityx
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/29/2012 6:46:31 AM
Your age x 3 = length of skirt in cm.
IF your girth is larger than that number, please multiply by 3 again.
 Walts
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/29/2012 7:39:03 AM
Doesn't really matter how long or how short,,,as long as the skirt is easily dropped to the ground, or slipped upwards over the hips. Very important stuff,,,especially for us guys that don't like to waste both of our valuable time. We only have sooooooo much time on this earth,if ya know what I mean.
 nativerock
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/29/2012 8:04:41 AM
I also agree with Igor first and foremost the clothes fit your body properly..

I also agree with Seakytten

For the most part I think a woman over 50 shouldn't wear a skirt that's more than 2 inches above the knee but that's just my opinion.

I wear my skirts an inch or two above my knee because I am a petite.. Long skirts tend to make me look shorter and do nothing for my body type..
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/29/2012 9:07:30 AM

For the most part I think a woman over 50 shouldn't wear a skirt that's more than 2 inches above the knee but that's just my opinion.

Dammit! Someone forgot to give me the How to Act and Dress when you are Over 50 manual. Come on, people! Are we a gestalt? Should we email memos to each other every morning so that we know what everyone else is wearing?

Mini skirts that are mid thigh are not going to flatter you because it will make your long legs seem disportionate to your body...unless you wear them with a duster jacket, opaque tights and a thigh high boot to balance the areas covered with those that are not.

This is the best piece of advice given so far because it addresses the OP's body style instead of stereotypical ideas about old women's clothes.

Less black unless you are going to a funeral. [. . . ] Allot of women think dressing 23 is appropriate at 50. Not!

I teach at a community college and see loads of 23 year old women several times a week. They largely wear jeans and a t-shirt or simple blouse; few of them wear what would be considered true mini-skirts. Are you suggesting that 50 year old women shouldn’t wear jeans? Of course, in the ‘60s, they told us that we shouldn’t. How do 23 year old women dress? They also wear black—is this why old women shouldn’t wear black?

To me - this is the ESSENCE of mental aging - when someone focuses on the appropriateness of a certain behavior , based on numbers, rather than what works for THAT individual !

I've always been a runner/bicyclist/hiker , and my legs reflect that in good ways, and have received many compliments through the years . When I'm in the mood for short skirts - or shorts , I go for it, and look just fine ! Age be damned !

Yes!

My sister is 65 and is 5’ 10”, and she will literally not wear a dress/skirt that is not down her ankles, even though her husband has suggested that she wear something shorter. She has great legs—they are her best asset(s), but they never get shown. I think, in part, it is a statement that she is no longer inviting sexual attention.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2012 9:34:51 AM
Another aspect to this question, is venue. What's acceptable for one situation will not be in another, even for those who have no prejudices about how "mom generation" people ought to appear in public.

We can dress as we like in our houses, and only have to answer to our housemates. maybe a cat or dog. At work, we have to answer to the boss's dress code. On a date, you have to deal with the dress code of our cohorts, and of whatever location you choose to infest.

If at any time you choose to dress significantly differently from everyone else around you, you have to be willing to accept whatever consequences there are. In the case of being over 40, and wearing dresses that lots of folks associate with women under thirty, the cost to you might be respect, or that you are thought of as being desperate for attention, or that you are slutty, or that you are advertising one feature of yourself to distract potential "victims" from noticing other, less attractive features, or that you have very nice legs, and might be fun to dance with.

The key to dealing with the results of your choice is, is to be willing to live with all of those possibilities.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/29/2012 9:43:25 AM

my legs are not tan in winter and it is colder, so I wear longer skirts...maybe knee length or a few inches shorter.
this also depends upon your environment

I have to agree....I'm from Alberta, Canada and we suffer through some long cold winters. So environment is a concern. So if and when I decide to wear a skirt..the hemline drops considerably. I like the look of a pencil skirts...and they look great with boots.

Doesn't really matter how long or how short,,,as long as the skirt is easily dropped to the ground, or slipped upwards over the hips. Very important stuff,,,especially for us guys that don't like to waste both of our valuable time. We only have sooooooo much time on this earth,if ya know what I mean.

...Oh oh. You're a brave man

...mae
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/29/2012 10:07:25 AM

Because you are tall the dress looks appropriate. Less black unless you are going to a funeral.

I have to disagree. The simple classic 'little black dress' in a style that fits your body shape should be in every woman's wardrobe. As an evening or****ail dress sometimes less is more and is more stylish than what all the other woman are wearing. If the woman can carry it off it can be really hot/sexy without looking tacky.

On length, I see some referring to a mid thigh shirt or dress as a 'mini', having lived through the 60's/70's, I remember in high school when mid thigh skirts was 'the style' and the 'mini skirt' came out again. The mini skirt was shorter than mid thigh. The next style that went around was the 'hot pants' which were a reincarnation of the 'short shorts'.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/29/2012 10:13:38 AM

Another aspect to this question, is venue.

Of course.

I am now going to put on a short skirt and heels then go to Starbucks to pick up men.
 Walts
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/29/2012 10:52:37 AM
Oh oh. You're a brave man

Ohhhhhh don't misinterpet stupidity with bravery. There is a biggggggggg difference.
 seki1949
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/29/2012 11:49:21 AM

I am now going to put on a short skirt and heels then go to Starbucks to pick up men.

Faints, Seki
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > skirt length when over 50