Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > small-talk...how do you not make it obvious/desperate??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 2
small-talk...how do you not make it obvious/desperate??Page 1 of 1    
It seems like every time I try to think of some convo-starter with a woman I either blank or reject everything I think of because it sounds so pathetic in my head.

When your basic personality is introverted, your own self-talk internal dialogue usually IS self-critical and overly critical of others... Start by repeating to yourself: I'm ok and they are ok.. Dozens of times a day repeat that...

To change, you must be motivated enough to daily PRACTICE casual conversations with non-threatening people/situations, so that you get comfortable enough talking with people you DON'T want to date, that eventually you are relaxed when talking to someone you DO...
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 4
small-talk...how do you not make it obvious/desperate??
Posted: 2/3/2012 7:58:00 PM

every time I try to think of some convo-starter with a woman I either blank or reject everything I think of…

the weather
school
homework
ask if she’s heard about a current event
just say ‘hi’
ask her something
not about her breasts
listen
have an exit strategy ready, like ‘gotta go to lunch’

you'll see her again
 magicallaroundme
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/3/2012 9:05:49 PM
Small talk is called small talk because that is what it is -- insignificant chatter about insignificant things. Anyone who engages in it is de facto desperate.

The best policy is to talk about topics that interest and mean something to you -- always. First, you are probably well informed on those and won't be at a loss for words. Secondly, the person conversing with you will either be interested and then a lively exchange can develop or disinterested and probably not the one you would enjoy talking with in any case. Third even if you were adept at small talk, it avails you nothing when you are trying to know and understand someone new.
 ConnCat
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2012 6:31:13 AM

not about her breasts

I disagree. I think you should mention her breasts. But in a nice way--same as you would about, say, her shoes.
 KratosSpawn
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/4/2012 8:48:55 AM
Stop trying to say things that Impress her when you should just be thinking of the surroundings. you're goal should be to get a woman to speak about herself and go on and on. The best way you can do that is buy asking her questions, listening to her repsonses and pulling from her responses to show you are listening and force her to go more in depth.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > small-talk...how do you not make it obvious/desperate??