Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Musical taste being a dealbreaker?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MyScreennameRox
Msg: 1
Musical taste being a dealbreaker?Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Do any of you have bands that you dislike so.much, that it's a dealbreaker if the opposite sex likes them?

I'm pretty easygoing with genre, but there are a few groups that are so godawful, I just can't ....

ICP
Colday
Fallout Boy
Nickelback

I've even encountered a few women listen to JUSTIN BIEBER!!!

No. Never.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 2
Musical taste being a dealbreaker?
Posted: 2/4/2012 1:10:38 PM
I don't focus solely on bands, but if their favorite musical genre is "gangsta rap" or the headbangingest heavy metal, I will have a problem with it.

I prefer people to have a broad musical taste , as I do.

MyScreennameRox
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/4/2012 1:11:38 PM

Gosh, I really hope the women you
encounter who listen to Justin Beaver are
your age. I didn't think any woman who's
legal listens to him.

Of course they were, one was 30 and one was 43.
 MyScreennameRox
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/4/2012 1:12:17 PM
Sorry double post
 RT_2
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/4/2012 1:59:24 PM
The last gal I saw IRL raised a red flag when she had Tupac "Dear Mother" on her laptop. I like a few of his songs but HATE that one. The red flag was her reason for liking the song. Tupac (or the character he portrays in that song) is a doormat, a total mama's boy, forgiving her for being a drug addict and a bad parent. Liking that song suggests she wants to be abusive and for the victim to be a doormat.

Usually if people don't like a song the other likes, it's no big deal. If a song is annoying, don't play it when the other person is around.

That same gal viewed the list of artists on my phone. She winced and said "Ugh" when she saw Pink Floyd and The Eagles, but her brother likes those bands so she considers it masculine to like those bands.

It's a dealbreaker if the other person needs you to attend a concert you despise.
 moraima
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2012 2:14:18 PM
My deal breaker is anyone who constantly plays anything recorder before 2000.
I like today's music.........(no oldies please), Latin and some RAP, Hip Hop, and Raggatone.
Country, and Elvis would make my ears bleed.
 RT_2
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/4/2012 3:19:45 PM
Forgot to mention an entire genre that's a dealbreaker for me: Christian! Not only does it all sound terrible, but the only people who listen to that putrid filth are incompatible with me (Bible thumpers).

I mean the modern Xtian trash, the type the South Park kids recorded in one episode. I like some older music associated with church or faith, such as Bach's choral tunes or the song "Yah Mo Be There".
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/4/2012 4:09:32 PM
I think only Insane Clown Posse would be a deal breaker for me. And only if I was expected to listen to it.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2012 4:21:21 PM
Not yet, but then I have fairly eclectic tastes. I suspect that I could find any musical choice to be a problem, if the person insists on it being a part of certain situations. Playing a Sousa march every time I head for the bathroom, for example, might cause me to look elsewhere for companionship.
 LabradorOokpik
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2012 9:23:57 PM
I would not say music would be a dealbreaker, but I do know there is some stuff I cannot stand. I'm sure there are a lot of men who would think the same about my kind of music. A guy messaged me once, and his profile said he was into quiet, soft music. When I received his message, I was just a few days back from seeing my favorite band on the planet, AC/DC, who call themselves one of the loudest bands in the world. Judging how long it took my ears to recover, I agree. My music is loud, my car is loud, I am loud..I am not into "quiet". That may have just been his music, but I was not interested.

Another guy messaged me, who was into Newfoundland music. For those unfamiliar, the best way I can describe it is some type of polka-like music. The headbanger in me could not see us agreeing on what type of music to listen to. I am into other types of music though, especially classic rock. I may have given him a chance, if I was attracted, but I wasn't. I guess my point is, if I like someone enough, I don't care what music he likes...we will find some way to get along!
 RedDelPaPa
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2012 11:24:50 PM

If the dude isn't a die hard Godsmack fan like me, I will not date him. Nope..sure won't

"As I sit here, and slowly close my eyes. I take another deep breath, and feel the wind pass through my body....."
 ITWYLD
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/5/2012 12:03:07 AM

Anything Metallica or other thrash metal crap. It just is not music.

Maffers......them be fightin words!

MyScreennameRox
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/5/2012 2:44:31 AM

I think only Insane Clown Posse would be a deal breaker for me. And only if I was expected to listen to it.

Yeah anybody who listens to fat, rapping clowns...nvm I cannot even finish this post.
 RT_2
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/5/2012 5:06:33 AM
The Florida fundie proves my point. Lashing out with accusations of "anti Christ" and calling someone ignorant and fearful for being aware I would never be compatible with anyone who listens to modern talentless "joy music".

I've also found the people who flaunt that genre are often hypocrites.

And those kid friendly Disney stars often become naughty. Lindsay Lohan, Miley Cyrus, etc.
 cooldog65
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2012 5:53:24 AM
"The only times it could be a dealbreaker is when a person's career or lifestyle completely revolves around music. Or when someone insists that I listen to their music and go to their concerts. But they won't listen to my music or go to my concerts. In the latter scenario, I think it is more of a general case of a person being too controlling. That can apply to other things as well. Not just music taste."

I can relate to to this point as my last ex and I had very different tastes. Always ended up doing what she wanted to do. No compromising on her part. Even changed the station/cd in my car while I'm driving.
 inthepalemoonlight
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 11:51:10 PM
if its an obsession or they dont respect your not the biggest fan of certain bands your significant other (or potential) likes, than thats one thing..

but if liking different forms of music is a deal breaker, then thats just sad
 cooldog65
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2012 1:55:29 AM
"If the dude isn't a die hard Godsmack fan like me, I will not date him. Nope..sure won't."

Sully has one of the best voices I have ever heard. Great depth and meaning in their lyrics.
 lilmisssunshine547
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2012 9:17:54 AM
The only type of music that would be a dealbreaker for myself would be house music/techno, or whatever ya wanna call it. I don't get it and I don't really wanna get it. All i can really think of when I hear it is fist pumping with a bunch of d-bags at the Jersey Shore.
 BeeRad82
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/7/2012 9:21:43 AM
People who combine their musical tastes w/ their identity get unread/deleted.
 DoubleParked
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/7/2012 9:38:00 AM
A person's taste in music is not a big problem for me. I enjoy listening to many types of music and enjoy playing music as well. My problem would be if someone had no INTEREST in music and didn't understand its importance in my life. A definite dealbreaker would be someone who yelled at me to 'turn down that bleeping noise"!
 Maleman999
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/7/2012 10:21:55 AM
What I find more weird are people who dress the part of their favorite singer/band. I'm referring mostly to the Elvis impersonators or the kids who try to look like gangsta rappers. They don't realize how ridiculous they look. The kids who do the gangsta rap look can be excused because teenagers are slaves to peer pressure whose life revolves around kiddy trends and fashion. But I don't understand middle aged and older men who have the mutton chop sideburns and do the whole Elvis look.
 Maleman999
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/7/2012 11:05:01 AM

"I love you like a love song baby." Really? That's the best you can come up with? That's your chorus?

I'm surprised the feminists have never never been up in arms and called for a boycott of the whole music industry. Almost every song refers to women as babies-totally helpless creatures who can't look after themselves. Is this how women want to be portrayed? Isn't it strange women are always chanting that they can do anything a man can do and more, yet have no objection when a musician refers to her as a totally helpless creature who can't do anything?
 Uonlyliveonce5
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/8/2012 8:50:10 PM
Man if the music she doesn't like is a dealerbreaker..... bad news, you will probably die alone.

If this is a dealbreaker, you must have a list of dealbreakers that is a mile long. Must like the same movies, must like the same sports teams, must like the same type of beer, etc.

These are all petty things that you should overlook and look at the bigger picture.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/9/2012 1:04:49 PM
I enjoy most types of music, but I don't like all the songs or
artists in every genre. I can't imagine musical tastes would be
a deal breaker, unless someone insists on dragging you to a
concert you'd not be interested in attending.

On a side note...do people really change the stations or cds
in cars they're not driving? Whoa. Isn't that like walking into
someone's house and rearranging the furniture?
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2012 1:31:59 PM
Yes.. it's a deal breaker

There are certain kinds of music that go with certain mindsets.. especially I have found with those who are absolutely stuck on one certain kind of music (country comes to mind as an example - and gangsta rap) Music is culture.. like literature or art. A persons musical taste and repertoire is very indicative of who they are among other things. But I'm an audiophile.. so it could just be me

For me, anyone who has never explored music beyond what is fed to them by radio, especially top 40 stuff is too umm... average, boring, unadventurous for me. Even in classic rock some of the best stuff never, or rarely, made it to the airwaves. Most of the finest music has been completely ignored by top 40 charts and radio (except some college radio).

there is also the fact that there is music I can not bear to be around - anything auto-tuned is a beginning point, I can't stand country... corp rock - like Nickelback and Coldplay.. horrid, rap in most cases, hip hop, in most cases... classic rock that is so overplayed it's become a caricature of itself. I have wide musical tastes from Mozart's piano concertos to alternative metal and industrial to ragtime and blues to post punk, celtic to avante garde and art rock... punk.. very wide tastes.

But I think the coolest thing is when someone can turn me on to a new artist.. something I haven't heard before but is fabulous.. (or I can share mine with them) and I love live music, so yes music is a big part of compatibility - especially if you are sharing air space.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Musical taste being a dealbreaker?