Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > GOP "Hawks" will love this - USS Ponce gets a "facelift" & all expens      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cotter
Msg: 1
view profile
History
GOP "Hawks" will love this - USS Ponce gets a "facelift" & all expense-paid tour to the Middle EastPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
GOP "Hawks" will love this - USS Ponce gets a "facelift" & all expense-paid tour to the Middle East

It appears the Navy is in the process of converting an aging warship into some sort of "mothership" to use in the Middle East - which could help launch secretive missions more quickly.

On the other hand, when Admiral John Harvey (Fleet Forces Command commander) tried to play it down, (IMO) he basically gave it away when he said it's just going to be an interim staging base until a new vessel can be purchased.

Anyone want to guess what it's going to be?

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/01/28/u_s_mothership_navy_rushes_floating_commando_special_operations_drone_base_to_middle_east_.html
U.S. Rushing Floating Base to MidEast
The “mothership” could facilitate Special Operations strikes as tension continues to rise in the region.
By Daniel Politi | Posted Saturday, Jan. 28, 2012, at 2:31 PM ET

The Pentagon is quickly moving forward to convert an aging warship into a a large floating base that will be sent to the Middle East and could serve as a staging ground for commandos at a time of increasing tensions in the region. The Washington Post points out the base has been dubbed a “mothership” because it “could accommodate smaller high-speed boats and helicopters commonly used by Navy SEALs.” Although the military already has plenty of presence in the region, the significant aspect of this new base is that it could help launch secretive missions more quickly.

The Wall Street Journal notes that the base will hold drones, effectively giving the “U.S. military the ability to stage a small strike force offshore —without obtaining a permission slip from another country for access to a land base.” Although officials wouldn’t confirm the base’s purpose, it seems clear that it is part of President Obama’s efforts to emphasize smaller, specific strikes by Special Operations troops as the military budget continues to contract.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-02-03/transport-vessel-isn-t-being-made-seal-mothership-admiral-says.html
Transport Vessel Isn’t Being Made SEAL Mothership, Admiral Says
February 03, 2012, 3:20 AM EST

By Tony Capaccio

Feb. 1 (Bloomberg) -- The Navy isn’t deploying a “mothership” in the Persian Gulf for SEALs and other special operations forces, contrary to reports by a number of news organizations, the service’s top fleet-readiness commander said.

The Navy is contracting instead for upgrades to improve capabilities of the 42-year-old USS Ponce, an amphibious transport ship that was to be decommissioned, the official said.

The Ponce is “not going over there as an alternate command ship; it’s not going over there as a special operating force ‘Death-star Galactica’ coming through the Gulf,” Fleet Forces Command commander Admiral John Harvey said at a meeting with reporters yesterday. “It’s going over there as” an interim staging base until a newer vessel can be purchased.

Fox News, CBS News and the Washington Post were among news organizations that said the vessel was being converted for commando use. Those assessments were inaccurate, Harvey said.

Maybe this is the best we can do. Instead of illegally invading a sovereign country with UD "dirty bombs" ... shocking and awing the country to smithereens while killing millions of it's innocent citizens, poisoning both them and our precious military ... we'll just sit out to sea in a floating military base and send in special forces and drones to do all the dirty work?

Seems to me, either way it's not something the US should be doing. We need to get out of the business of trying to tell the rest of the world how to live.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 2
GOP Hawks will love this - USS Ponce gets a facelift & all expense-paid tour to the Middle East
Posted: 2/5/2012 7:56:15 AM
Okay, without weighing in on the ship's mission or anything, who the Hell was responsible for naming ships when this was launched? The Ponce? Seriously? Were Pillow Biter and Ass Bandit already taken?
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 3
GOP Hawks will love this - USS Ponce gets a facelift & all expense-paid tour to the Middle East
Posted: 2/5/2012 8:19:13 AM

Anyone want to guess what it's going to be?

Maybe it will also help & assist in fending off the pirates & poachers in the Arabian sea, who often prey on and terrorize commercial ships of many countries, Duuuuuh!

Seems to me, either way it's not something the US should be doing.

Sure, and when they kidnap pple like you; I'll just hope the US follows your advice and won't get involved!
 cotter
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2012 8:41:11 AM

Sure, and when they kidnap pple like you; I'll just hope the US follows your advice and won't get involved!
I seriously doubt that this has anything to do with coming to the rescue of anyone who might get "kidnapped".

Besides, I know how to avoid being kidnapped. I lived in a country about 30 years ago where that was a ongoing threat for me. I have no plans to disguise myself as a hiker in Iraq.

My point was that the GOP "Hawks" will be pleased that President Obama is keeping their hopes of a war with Iran alive.
 .dej
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2012 10:37:36 AM
Other than your usual mischaracterizing and throwing temper tantrums in ways that do not even tangentially relate to the topic, I don't see what is so remarkable about this.

They're taking an old ship, retrofitting it, and pressing it into continued service to fill a needed role. Okay, this isn't that out of the ordinary...

So what?
 cotter
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2012 11:39:08 AM

Other than your usual mischaracterizing and throwing temper tantrums in ways that do not even tangentially relate to the topic...
Back to the personal attacks I see ...

... to fill a needed role.
Why do we need to have such a ship in the Middle East? It's not the job of the US to oversee anything in the Middle East.

Okay, this isn't that out of the ordinary...
If that were the case ... not out of the ordinary ... then why doesn't such a warship already exist?

We need to stay out of it.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2012 4:13:00 PM
This does'nt seem to be a fiscally responsible way to spend tax dollars... How could the Republicans allow such a blatant waste of revenue to occur? Apparently the repubs in the house just allot a chunk of money to the military and then let them spend as they see fit? Almost sounds like an entitlement mentality to me. Also like a bit of corporate welfare for all the defense contractors? John Boehner, where's the outrage at this out of control spending???
 .dej
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 7:29:14 AM

Why do we need to have such a ship in the Middle East? It's not the job of the US to oversee anything in the Middle East.

Because we have troops and allies in the Middle East.

If that were the case ... not out of the ordinary ... then why doesn't such a warship already exist?

Either a) it does, and we needed another one, or b) this specific role hasn't been required in the ME before.
 cotter
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 4:39:18 PM

Because we have troops and allies in the Middle East.
Hopefully we will not have troops in the Middle East too much longer.

As for allies? I have no clue who that would be. If you're speaking of Israel ... well, dream on. Israel is not in it for anyone but Israel. At least that's the way the Zionists have been playing it so far. If the Zionists were our ally, they would be with us in Afghanistan and they would have helped us in Iraq, but they are not. That should be good proof that they are not our ally. they

The Zionists are no allies of the US. The Zionists show no loyalty to anyone but themselves. Thank the Zionists that we are in the Middle East at all.

Regardless, we have no damn business over there and we need to keep our noses out of Israel's strife with Iran. If Israel can't handle this on their own then they should stay the hell out of it too.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/6/2012 6:25:41 PM
This area is crucial to American interests - at the very least to keep shipping lanes open. It's hardly surprising that they're beefing up the fleet there to deal with piracy and Iranian threats to close the straight.
 cotter
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 9:16:53 PM

This area is crucial to American interests - at the very least to keep shipping lanes open.
Too bad the US just can't seem to take the time/just can't be inspired to learn to get along on less of the "black gold". If we weren't such energy hogs, we could just sit back and see what happens ... eh?

It's hardly surprising that they're beefing up the fleet there to deal with piracy and Iranian threats to close the straight.
This should not be the job alone for the US ... we're not the only ones who need to keep those shipping lanes open.

I say we need to stay out of there ... let Israel solve their own problems ... leave us out of it!
 .dej
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 10:00:37 PM

Hopefully we will not have troops in the Middle East too much longer.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

As for allies? I have no clue who that would be. If you're speaking of Israel ... well, dream on. Israel is not in it for anyone but Israel. At least that's the way the Zionists have been playing it so far. If the Zionists were our ally, they would be with us in Afghanistan and they would have helped us in Iraq, but they are not. That should be good proof that they are not our ally. they

You don't know what you're talking about. Really, there's just not really much else worth saying here.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/7/2012 8:37:12 AM
Yeah, you've got to stop listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on Iran. The actual soldiers and spies who know are in complete disagreement with him. I support Israel in general, but that's not the same as supporting every decision or proclamation by its government.
 cotter
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2012 5:16:35 PM

I say we need to stay out of there ... let Israel solve their own problems ... leave us out of it!

I finally agree with you..we should let Israel do whatever they need to do to insure their safety even if that means nuking Iran...
Ya ... the neocon warmongers would just love that. Like the title to the thread says, "GOP Hawks will love this." They can't wait to start another Middle East war.

We haven't finished with the last two illegal invasions and they're ready to illegally invade still another sovereign nation?
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/7/2012 5:58:40 PM

They are the Middle Eastern Apartheid South Africa.

really? the typical Arab living within Israel proper has more free speech and economic freedom than virtually another other Muslim country, especially the women. Arabs living in the west bank have their own regime in place.

What exactly are we getting for our billions of foriegn aid dollars?

perhaps a little more than we are getting from countries like Egypt, Pakistan, and now Afghanistan (a recent addition); who we give "billions" in aid to per year.

Is it any wonder the arab world loathes us?

They loathe anyone who is not an enemy of their enemy

we all know that the damage they do stays in one spot, and offers no damage to anyone downwind.

You ever hear of low (or variable) yield tactical nukes?

the head of the CIA has stated publiclly that Iran is NOT seeking nuclear weapons.

Then why the widespsread sanctions?

You think the rest of the Arab/Muslim nations are going to sit by and drop a nuke on a defenseless Iran?

Most Arab countries privately HATE Iran; and would love for them to be demolished!

Iran does not possess nuclear weapons,

we'll see what happens when they light their fire-cracker and show it to the world
 cotter
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2012 6:15:28 PM

Then why the widespsread sanctions?
Just stupid "followers" ... just as the school bully has a pep squad of followers everywhere they go. "Bully Sr. and Bully Jr." (US and their little brother Israel) have requested it and so the others talk it up. If the others who are raging about sanctions really meant it, they'd be right there along with Bully Sr. and Bully Jr. ... acting like they're ready to push some sort of button. But where are they?

Do you see any of their military out there with us? Do you see any Israeli military out there with us? No? If they're our ally, then why not?

Most Arab countries privately HATE Iran; and would love for them to be demolished!
Really? Who? (Other than Israel?)

we'll see what happens when they light their fire-cracker and show it to the world
Oh that's right ... the neocons tried to convince us that Iraq wanted to Nuke the US ... right?

Seriously ... does anyone really believe Iran wants to Nuke the US? If not, then we have no reason to be there.
 .dej
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2012 9:36:03 AM
Just stupid "followers" ... just as the school bully has a pep squad of followers everywhere they go. "Bully Sr. and Bully Jr." (US and their little brother Israel) have requested it and so the others talk it up.

Wow. What an intricate and nuanced understanding of foreign affairs you obviously have. I'd never thought of just blowing off all analysis of international politics and just going with high school understanding. Clearly you have beaten us in your race to the bottom.

If the others who are raging about sanctions really meant it, they'd be right there along with Bully Sr. and Bully Jr. ... acting like they're ready to push some sort of button. But where are they?

They're doing it. In fact, several countries who would at any other time be entirely opposed because it will hurt them economically are still lining up in the face of obvious facts (Greece, Italy, Portugal).

Do you see any of their military out there with us?

Well... yes...

France, the UK, Spain, Australia, Poland... the list of countries who have troops fighting alongside ours goes on a ways, so I'm not going to list it all out here, but yes, I do see their military out there with us, and frankly it's pretty disgusting to see people like you denigrate our allies that have thrown their citizens' lives on the line to back ours. Especially hot on the heals of the French losing a number of soldiers in Afghanistan and holding a pretty touching memorial service.

Do you see any Israeli military out there with us? No? If they're our ally, then why not?

It's lines like these that really bring out the true colors that you have no idea what you're talking about. Every time the US has gotten involved in a conflict in the Middle East, Israel has offered to help out, but we've turned down their offer. In fact we request that they not only do not help, but they do not even make any sort of public statement of support for western coalitions in the ME. See if you can figure out why on your own. It's pretty elementary. Anyone who actually has taken the time to stay abreast of Middle Eastern affairs knows that and accepts it.

Iraq, for one. Egypt. Libya. Saudi Arabia. Kuwait. A lot of the Arabs don't like Iran. And never have, though they dislike Israel more.

Oh that's right ... the neocons tried to convince us that Iraq wanted to Nuke the US ... right?

Every Western intelligence agency believed that Iraq was pursuing nuclear ambitions. I don't recall any claims about nuking the US, though.

Seriously ... does anyone really believe Iran wants to Nuke the US? If not, then we have no reason to be there.

Though I don't advocate for war with Iran, do you really think the only reason a country pursues military action is because they're going to get nuked if they don't? Do you really believe that?
 cotter
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2012 8:00:55 PM

Clearly you have beaten us in your race to the bottom.
Here we go again ... back to the personal attacks ...

Do you see any of their military out there with us?

Well... yes...

France, the UK, Spain, Australia, Poland
I see ... so France, the UK, Spain, Australia, Poland ...... all have ships headed for the Middle East? I guess the Strait of Hormuz is gonna get pretty crowded ... pretty quickly. Let me guess ... just Israel will conveniently be missing even though it's why all the others are there? Ya ... that's what I thought.

Do you see any Israeli military out there with us? No? If they're our ally, then why not?
Every time the US has gotten involved in a conflict in the Middle East, Israel has offered to help out, but we've turned down their offer.
I'll need proof of that ... show us. (This oughta be good.)

Iraq, for one. Egypt. Libya. Saudi Arabia. Kuwait. A lot of the Arabs don't like Iran.
Show us.

Every Western intelligence agency believed that Iraq was pursuing nuclear ambitions. I don't recall any claims about nuking the US, though.
Soooo ... tell me again, why did we illegally invade Iraq (?) ... if they were not a threat to us?

... do you really think the only reason a country pursues military action is because they're going to get nuked if they don't? Do you really believe that?
Give us a good reason to "illegally" invade still another Middle Eastern country.

All the loud barking is about keeping Iran from developing a Nuke (for the sake of "Bully Jr." ... right?) If Iran isn't going to come after us, then what's it to us if they get a Nuke?

What's it to us if they do not abide by the NPT? We don't abide by it either!

We don't belong over there ... it's not our place to get involved!
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/8/2012 8:32:35 PM

during the 1st Gulf war! To name one! Much of the intelligence gathering in that area is conducted by the Mosaad, who often provide the US with their findings.

Show us.

Okay, read the wiki-leaks, but oops, lemme guess; you don't believe that either right!

Give us a good reason to "illegally" invade still another Middle Eastern country.

Ummm, Duuuuuh! maybe all the mass murdering & genocide going on in Syria, perhaps; especially when everyone else is just standing around and make believe it isn't happening.

Funny but that is what the french & Brits told the US after WW-1 was over; and we acknowledged it; but about 25 years later---> somebody came and dragged us back in!
 cotter
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2012 8:52:24 PM

Israel has offered to help out, but we've turned down their offer.

Much of the intelligence gathering in that area is conducted by the Mosaad, who often provide the US with their findings.
That's a joke ... right? The Internet is full of articles of the the Mossad ... spying on the U.S.!! LMAO ... ... (Short off topic comment ... tell us about the Mossad and the Jundallah terrorists ... no don't bother!)

Okay, read the wiki-leaks, but oops, lemme guess; you don't believe that either right!
That's all you got?

Ummm, Duuuuuh! maybe all the mass murdering & genocide going on in Syria, perhaps; especially when everyone else is just standing around and make believe it isn't happening.
Charity begins at home ... we have homeless, starving, ill people here that need our attention right now. The Middle East is just gonna have to suck it up and take care of themselves for a while.

I REPEAT ... We don't belong over there ... it's not our place to get involved!
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/8/2012 9:19:18 PM

The Internet is full of articles of the the Mossad ... spying on the U.S.!!

I never said they didn't spy on the US, but so what! Virtually every country spies on everyone else. With our enormous capabilities, its our duty to safe-guard our secrets, so if somebody is able to steal them, who's fault is it? The issue here is that that Israel does provide the US with regional info through their vast network of spies, thus they are an important "ear" for the US!

That's all you got?

They make candid remarks about Iran that has been recorded; so WTF else would you need to know?

we have homeless, starving, ill people here-->

-->since 1776; but somehow that hasn't stopped the US from engaging in countless military operations has it? But now its an issue all of a sudden?

Btw; the US spends more per capita than any other country on Healthcare and public assistence; which proves that just "throwing money" at a social problem isn't the 'cure' for its inherent problems.

I REPEAT ... We don't belong over there ... it's not our place to get involved!

Ancient Chinese saying goes:

He(she) who keep head buried in sand
is bound to get an 'ear-full'
 .dej
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2012 10:07:44 PM
I see ... so France, the UK, Spain, Australia, Poland ...... all have ships headed for the Middle East? I guess the Strait of Hormuz is gonna get pretty crowded ... pretty quickly. Let me guess ... just Israel will conveniently be missing even though it's why all the others are there? Ya ... that's what I thought.

Ships? All? No, but the UK does. The rest don't have the naval power. They have committed troops. Also, the Strait of Hormuz is not where ships sail when supporting naval roles in the Middle East. I hope you knew that and were just trying to somehow be snarky.

Israel does not have a blue water navy. Also, see above. We'll do everything we can to keep Israel from joining any western coalition in the middle east.

Every time the US has gotten involved in a conflict in the Middle East, Israel has offered to help out, but we've turned down their offer.

lol really? Are you serious? That's awesome.

Just for funsies: In the first Gulf War, Iraq launched dozens of SCUD missiles at Israel. Why do you think Israel did not retaliate, when they have a history of overretaliating against most aggression turned towards them?

Iraq, for one. Egypt. Libya. Saudi Arabia. Kuwait. A lot of the Arabs don't like Iran.
Show us.

Show us what? I know this may be something you struggle with, but some things cannot be explained by links to 2-paragraph Huffington Post stories, and you're not going to be able to discuss them in drive-by snark mode. Iran has been an unstable influence in the Middle East for centuries, if not millenia. They were kept in check until now by a cold standoff with Iraq until we knocked Hussein out of the equation. They've openly threatened Turkey. The only real normal relations they have in the middle east are with Syria, and it's no coincidence that the two of them are teetering at the edge of stability. Even the states at the edges of the Arabian peninsula are uneasy with them. I cannot distill hundreds of hours of reading of history and just "show you". This isn't 8th grade arithmetic.

Soooo ... tell me again, why did we illegally invade Iraq (?) ... if they were not a threat to us?

First of all, it wasn't illegal. Secondly, see:

Every Western intelligence agency believed that Iraq was pursuing nuclear ambitions.

And again, do you think that someone has to have nuclear weapons to be a threat? Just curious, because you've made this mistake twice now, consecutively.

Why would I do that?

What's it to us if they do not abide by the NPT? We don't abide by it either!

Whahuh? How do you figure?
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2012 10:37:52 PM
The thing that gets me Is that when we go over there and help people it always gets thrown back in our faces by the very same people that wanted our help! It's like they want our help but then turn around and backstabb us and call us occupiers, infidels and everything else, but when we don't help we are considered cold hearted inhumane people. It's like we can't fing win no matter what we do over there. Iraq was a prime example of that. We went over there and took out Saddam after years of hearing the Iraqi people's cry for help to get rid of him after the first gulf war and then looked what happened? Those very same people that we helped turned on us, after years of wanting our help to get rid of Saddam! Another example of that is Saudi Arabia. They sure didn't want us in their country to set up bases near the Iraq boarder right before the Iraq war, but yet wanted Saddam out of power at the same time and now they want us to do something about Iran. This is the same ongoing BS that the U.S. deals with over there and for what? To win the hearts and minds of the middle eastern people for helping them get rid of terrorist and dictators? Nope. To have countless of American lives lost and trillions of tax payers dollars being wasted? Yep. So let them deal with their own BS. I'm tired of the U.S. trying to go out and do the right things by answering these peoples cries for help to just to get backstabbed for it. That whole region is nothing more then a bunch of religious, dictatorship fanatics and their own people are the ones to blame by continuing to put those types of people in power and never wanting to change their way of gov. It hasn't changed over there since Islam became the rule of everything in that region and it will continue to stay the same as it always has been as long as people over there want their gov to be ruled by their religion.
 cotter
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2012 8:53:04 AM

They make candid remarks about Iran that has been recorded; so WTF else would you need to know?

I'd like to see an actual link of one of those countries openly broadcasting their (so-called) "hate" for Iran.

Just because a fear-mongering idiot ("Dumbya") is trying to make a case for an illegal war (invasion of a sovereign nation) by proclaiming some sort of "axis of evil" ... doesn't make it so.

The "Axis of Evil" is a term used to describe the countries Iraq, Iran and North Korea.
We've already successfully illegally invaded Iraq ... killed millions of innocents, poisoned their land with the DU "Dirty" bombs, destroyed their infrastructure, etc. Soooooo ... I suppose Iran and North Korea are next?

Charity begins at home ... we have homeless, starving, ill people here that need our attention right now. The Middle East is just gonna have to suck it up and take care of themselves for a while.
... hasn't stopped the US from engaging in countless military operations has it? But now its an issue all of a sudden?
Not all of a sudden, but all good things must eventually come to an end ... eh?

... the US spends more per capita than any other country on Healthcare and public assistence;
That's because we still have health insurance companies dictating who gets to have insurance and who doesn't. The rich can afford it and the poor can't. The rich get to go to the doctor on a regular basis for preventative healthcare and the poor have to wait until they are so sick that they need the ER ... or actual hospitalization ... which they cannot afford. As a result, the hospitals have to swallow the cost and eventually just pass it on to the insurance companies who then pass it on to us ... inflating the cost which eventually means more and more will not be able to afford it and more and more will be using the ER ... thus the cycle continues.

No one should have to live under a bridge for lack of being able to pay a hospital bill for an ailing child/spouse when the country is blowing billions on illegal invasions of sovereign nations.

... which proves that just "throwing money" at a social problem isn't the 'cure' for its inherent problems.
I'd rather be "throwing money" at the poor of our nation and providing them with health benefits than illegally invading other nations in order to steal their natural resources or illegally bombing other nations on behest of the greedy and cruel Zionists.

SteelCity1981
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2012 9:18:35 AM
We not only don't belong over there but they don't appreciate us when we are over there helping them! So why should we continue to help aid nations that just turn around and backstabb us. You can't help someone that doesn't want to be helped. The middle east is never going to change as so long as all of these middle eastern nations gov are dicatated by their islamic faith. I mean, look at what happened after we left Iraq. The Sunni and Shia are right back at it again killing one another like they have been doing for the past 2,000+ years. It's utterly naive to think that we can go over there and change their mindset when it continues be the same train of thought that they have had over there for the past 2000+ years.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > GOP "Hawks" will love this - USS Ponce gets a "facelift" & all expense-paid tour to the Middle East