Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Doom Metal improves my mood :)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Doom Metal improves my mood :)Page 1 of 1    
As funny as that might sound, Doom Metal (more specifically the more melodic and atmospheric Gothic Doom, and the slower emotive "layered" Death Doom) makes me feel good. I can related to the music because a lot of it isn't about whining and complaining as much as it is accepting negative situations and putting a perspective on them. Its strange because I can't stand emo, lol. Then again, with most doom genres, theres very little lyrics and the music itself tells the story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVjtaHer2Gs&feature=related - Daylight Dies - Woke up Lost

Am I strange for finding this totally "soothing"?
 laskoboo
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Doom Metal improves my mood :)
Posted: 2/5/2012 2:23:24 PM
I recall some of your other posts and looked at your history, so no.........
for you I would not think this was odd. You seem very depressed to me.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/5/2012 10:27:19 PM
any music that moves you emotionally on ANY level is cool.

congrats on that dude.

k.w.
death to all but metal
 plenilunius
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/6/2012 9:36:43 AM
you might like drone/doom. Bands like Jesu for example
 Mysteriis
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 1:34:43 PM
Almost any music that I like makes me feel better/happier. This includes Gothic Doom/Death ala My Dying Bride and various so called 'Depressive' Black Metal bands.

..And seeing as Plenilunius mentioned Jesu, the riff that comes in at 4.09 on 'Dead Eyes' is absolutely (soul) crushing. Just awesome.
 MusicPenPals-PunkHardcore
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/6/2012 1:58:30 PM
This band isn't doom metal, more space/rock-melodic noise, but you might like them --
Sianspheric from Toronto/Burlington, Canada
 ChadsFormerStandIn
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/6/2012 10:42:59 PM
Have you heard Anathema's The Silent Enigma? If not, please check it out!!!
 plenilunius
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/7/2012 9:25:36 AM
of course I know Anathema and the likes. I saw them a few years ago and I do agree the Silent Enigma is their best effort for sure.

Jesu that is the new Justin's project is such an intricate concentrate of beautiful sounds that a description is not necessary. Close your eyes and reach for the beyond.
Posted: 2/11/2012 7:01:33 PM
Anathema is one of the first of the Death/Doom, Gothic Doom Metal bands I got into. The good thing about most of the "Doom" bands is they are somewhat experimental so their album transform nicely over time into atmospheric rock (Anathema) or Symphonic Metal (Within Temptation)
 plenilunius
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/12/2012 3:57:01 AM
I recommend early Katatonia too, especially Brave Murder Day. It was a sensation back when it came out.
 Corporate_Katatonia
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2012 7:04:54 PM
I totally love Brave Murder Day.

The way the guitar creates this "layer" throughout on the heavier parts of the album and an almost 80s goth rock ambiance on the softer sections. Heavy but melodic, slow but not TOO slow, simple but sweet riffs, songs with multiple moods and sections, and an album overall that's easy on the ears. The low but "understandable" growled lyrics really add to the music as well. :)
 plenilunius
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/18/2012 1:52:08 AM
I totally love Brave Murder Day. You might enjoy Discouraged Ones, I remember again the raving reviews when it came out. They had the boldness to forsake the growls and adapt a more sophisticated approach to their vocals like Ulver for example
 Corporate_Katatonia
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2012 11:58:53 AM
Discouraged Ones is pretty good (especially "Saw You Drown", but I think Katatonia really hit their mark with "Last Fair Deal". The reason being is that it expanded on Discouraged Ones vocally with more emotionally rich vocals. Both are great albums and good starting points for those looking to get into Doom Metal but don't want something overbearing, especially since there are some more radio friendly alternative elements present in those two albums :)
 Slinkeh
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/19/2012 3:03:46 PM
Maybe you might like a band called "Kyuss"?
 jo_schmo
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/23/2012 2:45:23 PM
Another new sub genre has come to light in the past few years known as Funeral Doom.. generally even slower and more melodic than traditional doom...I really dig it

Loss (us), Remembrance (france), Mournful Congregation (australia), The Howling Void (us), The Fall Of Every Season (norway), Funeral Tears (russia)

Sludge is a good genre too, slightly more uptempo and more experimental.. Isis (us), Neurosis (us), Pelican (us)
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Doom Metal improves my mood :)