Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Super Bowl Numbering System      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 1
Super Bowl Numbering SystemPage 1 of 1    
Up to now, the Super Bowl has cleverly applied the affectation of Roman numerals for denoting the sequential order of the games, with Super Bowl XLVI (46) being the most recent.

My contention is this will cease with Super Bowl Nr 50.

Why?, you ask ... Simple: The viewing audience will not know what 'L' represents.

'L' is the Roman numeral for fifty.

Beginning with Super Bowl Nr 50, the games will, of necessity, revert to using Arabic numbers for the designators. Think just a bit down the road to games beyond Nr 50 ... what would the average viewer think of Super Bowl LIX ... ? Or Super Bowl LXIX... ? Or even LXXXVIII ... ? ... oh, the humanity ... consider Super Bowl 100 ... 'C'. Sorry, that just won't do.

Enjoy the current numbering system while you may - I believe it must, of necessity, be going away with Super Bowl Number Fifty ... or Super Bowl 'L' ... whatever.
 ToThySelf
Msg: 2
Super Bowl Numbering System
Posted: 2/6/2012 2:53:03 PM
You just insulted the viewing audience.

Go Giants.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/6/2012 3:08:00 PM
And your point IS ... ?
 ToThySelf
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/6/2012 3:23:22 PM
Why?, you ask ... Simple: The viewing audience will not know what 'L' represents.

Did you poll the viewing audience? Its never a good thing to start a thread labeling a general population as having no intelligence.

Go Giants.
 veevee
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/6/2012 3:29:51 PM
I can cite one place they still have the numerals, at the end of movies for the year of production. I haven't watched any movie credits for maybe 6 mos. but they have usually not been in english numbers. If they changed it then I'm behind the times.

I'm not sure that it's a bad thing if they do use only numbers, books still use numbers or both. Again though it's a year they are representing.

There is no sort by ILCXDVM type things in databases that I've seen as a standard so when you sort records the default would be plain numbers for ascending or descending unless you write your own function. Since database records are an easy way to store mountains of information heaps - it could change just for that reason too because so many things are going online - they could use an extra column for it but I'm geeking out aren't I.

Anyway - cute thought on the topic but with the net people would probably look it up if they saw it on tv - heck they might get a refresher course.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 3:34:38 PM
I find your logic to be ...non existent. I predict that since most Americans already are thoroughly familiar with Roman Numerals from watching movies our whole lives, that Superbowl 50 will be called "Superbowl L." I also predict that neither of us will be here to find out if SB 1oo gets the "C" designation.
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 4:35:12 PM

Umm...hasn't the "L" already been making an appearance in the last seven Superbowls?
 pdunique218
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/6/2012 5:34:28 PM
Hoopsnhikes - You beat me to it.
OP since Super Bowl XL (40 for those who don't know that L=50 and since X (10) is on the left that means 50 - 10 = 40) -- the L has been part of the Super Bowl numbers since 2006. I really don't believe Super Bowl L will be a problem.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 6:34:17 PM

Umm...hasn't the "L" already been making an appearance in the last seven Superbowls?

Shhh..... you might insult the intelligence of someone who insulted the intelligence of everyone else....
 daynadaze
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 6:37:49 PM
I hate it, I don't know Roman numerals past 10 and I'm not intrigued enough to look it up, I just feel annoyed wondering what the numbers mean.
 nipoleon
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 6:43:02 PM
Frankly, I'm getting tired of the Roman numerals too.
The only reason to use them is it looks fancy.
Does anyone in the world actually use them for practical, mathematical reasons ?
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/7/2012 6:21:55 AM
@ Nr 6 ...

" ... I find your logic to be ...non existent. I predict that since most Americans already are thoroughly familiar with Roman Numerals from watching movies our whole lives, that Superbowl 50 will be called "Superbowl L." I also predict that neither of us will be here to find out if SB 1oo gets the "C" designation. ... "

I find your reasoning to be supercilious - but then, that's neither here nor there.

The fact that something (e.g., Roman numerals) have been in use and observable over time (e.g., movie datings) has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not they are understood by those viewing them. The quality of 'education' as currently practiced is not such that arcane knowledge such as the Roman system of numbering is considered relevant by the Department of 'Education'. This, remember, is the same organization which, a few years back, believed it 'a good idea' to 'teach' what was then named 'New Math' - in which schema students were 'taught' mathematical 'truths' such as 'two plus two equals purple'. Research it.

Sorry, but there is no clear connexion (as you would have us believe) between casual usage for display purposes and an understanding of the symbols observed by the viewer such as to consider there may exist a causal linkage which leadeth to an 'understanding' of the Roman way of numbering. Nice try ... no cigar.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/7/2012 7:27:47 AM
@ Nr XIII ...

Attaboy ... ! As long as they play the Saints, I'm all in.
 NonamousDog
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/7/2012 11:50:46 AM
It's not the intelligence of the audience at issue here, it's the intelligence of the PR whizzers who churn out the hype surrounding the NFL.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/8/2012 3:26:55 PM
@ Nr 15 ...

Actually, it's BOTH which are at issue here. The 'audience' (to use a word in its broadest possible sense) has become sequentially dumbed-down over the years with the reduction in 'education' imposed through the more 'politically-correct' curricula decreed proper for use by the egregiously-misnamed 'Department of Education'. That's rather like the 'Ministry of Truth' in Orwell's '1984' ... you may remember 'Winston Smith' working there to dutifully shove 'inconvenient' current history down the 'memory hole' whilst replacing it with the 'new history'. Much the same thing has taken place with the DoE's intentional 'dumbing down' of the populace.

As for the PR types, they're but one step removed from the Political Class, and, in fact, are precisely those ones the Political Class uses to advance their agenda(-s) in order to (1) achieve and then (2) maintain power. It's the classic 'hand-in-glove' operation, and there's no daylight between either of them on the 'dance floor'. I merely request I not be forced to watch them 'tonsil-kiss' each other. My $0.02 would see both types sent to the knacker.
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2012 6:32:54 AM
I don't see the 'issue' here. If 'I' put 'things' in "quotes" does it 'strengthen' my argument'?'

I watched the Superbowl. I could 'care' less if the call it Superbowl "L" or Superbowl "50".

SteelCity1981
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2012 10:35:37 AM
It's not going to be a problem, much like all the other Roman numerals weren't in the past. And actually they will continue to use the Roman numeral system as the link shows below...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl#Super_Bowl_L
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 6:21:37 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how "L" is more confusing than "XLIX", which will precede it. Or "XLVIII", which comes the year before that. Seems to me that things will start getting easier at 50, not more difficult.
 Apostrophe7
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/15/2012 12:09:46 AM
I wonder if there was any confusion in 1970* about whether to call it Super Bowl IV or Super Bowl IIII.

It would be interesting if they Romanized all the numbers: on the field, the scoreboard, the clock, the down marker and the players' jerseys.

Also, the L has made an appearance in every Super BowL.

*MCMLXX
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Super Bowl Numbering System