Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do You Google?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Giggles10000
Msg: 2
Do You Google?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Yes I google and if they email me I put their email address in the facebook search and have caught 5 different guys who were in relationships ...it is amazing how quickly their fb account gets deleted when you send both them and their gf a friend request.
 gentlelouisianaman
Msg: 3
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 11:21:53 AM
I am amazed that there are men and women out there who are the self appointed relationship police. Why make trouble for others? This is the internet, not a church or a convent.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

P
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 4
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 11:24:03 AM
I googled just this morning, twice. Might google some more this afternoon...
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 11:46:58 AM
Yes, I google and I am not giving away my secrets here because I don't want the men to wise up.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 6
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 12:03:35 PM
Yes, once in the morning, and once at night before bedtime.

Oh, WAIT.....I thought you said GARGLE.

Nevermind.

TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 7
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 12:06:27 PM

So..I am curious to know..do you Google? And do you always know the last name of the person you are meeting?

On a serious note, no, I don't.
I don't care what someone's last name is. Their last name has nothing to do with their value as a person, and me knowing it beforehand does not improve our chances of connecting.

abelian
Msg: 8
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 12:06:58 PM

Of course that is supposing that you know a person's last name before meeting them...

Usually, I did but only because the women were careless with their personal information. I never asked and I didn't give out my last name.

And do you always know the last name of the person you are meeting?

I wouldn't if the woman wasn't naive.
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 12:40:00 PM
i never gave out my last name either. but if i had, it would have been more than fine if women googled me, since the search would show i was a good-looking, 30-year-old, 6-foot-4 division 1 soccer coach, rather than the middle-aged shlub you see before you.

i hope the gal on a mission to punish wrongdoers had her facebook pages straight. few people have unique names.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 10
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 12:50:43 PM
He used the same pictures on his facebook as on here...

All I did was send the friend request...he figured out he was busted cause it said he was in a relationship on FB. Some of them hide it so the status will only shows on her profile not theirs.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 11
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 1:07:17 PM
do you Google?

Yes---I often did. I never asked for the last name or gave out mine until after we met in person and agreed to go out again---but if men gave me their last name, I would find out personal information, such as their address, phone number, place of business, and vehicle they drove.

I even found one man's DUI mugshot. This was someone who supposedly didn't drink, according to their profile.
 Nkpa
Msg: 13
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 2:04:54 PM
Yes I Google. If the gentleman gives me his phone number I will also do a reverse search to verify address. I also have searched county tax records. Some counties will have a picture of the property along with information if the taxes have been paid or not.
I have had several cases where the 'gentlemen' are not who they say they are!
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 14
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 2:14:27 PM

If the gentleman gives me his phone number I will also do a reverse search to verify address

I had a woman try this with my phone #.

Her plan was foiled (unbeknownst to me).

She told me that a woman's name came up, with an address in a neighboring city.

She thought she had caught me lying.

But,.....I have an UNLISTED #, so the name and address that came up (I tried it myself after she told me) must have been the last person who had my # before me who was listed.

christ on a crutch
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 2:40:17 PM

few people have unique names.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I just googled Christ and doooooooood you are like everywhere. DUH!!!

piety is the best cover of all. you can get caught with your hand in the orphans' till (and elsewhere) and you just pull on that hair shirt and everyone grants you 'forgiveness.' score!
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 16
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 2:45:22 PM
First, this has been done: http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts10027384.aspx

Heck, I Google myself to see if I have gotten into trouble or become famous. I am now the #1 hit for my name because I am on ratemyprofessors.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 4:21:44 PM
after what happened with my last long-term relationship, i Google and Pipl with last names, email addresses and phone numbers.

if i had been sensible enough to do that 6 years ago, it would have saved me much heartache.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 19
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 5:35:31 PM

I know my ex had lots of hateful things to say about me shortly after we broke up & I'd hate to judge based on diss & or misinformation.

This is true, but the sex offenders' site doesn't like and I have found TWO guys who contacted me on it. I actually met one and he gave me the creepy-crawlies. He said his wife told lies about him, as well, and as fortune would have it, she was a friend of a friend. She told me about his prison record for molesting his daughter. She was truthful.
 Paderic
Msg: 21
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 7:25:17 PM
I googled myself, what does it mean if you don't find anything?
 TryAgan
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 8:02:41 PM
Yeah, Google works.
Just made a few bucks on a quick trade, buying and selling Google.
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/10/2012 10:06:43 PM

I googled myself, what does it mean if you don't find anything?

Forums where paderic last posted
forums.plentyoffish.com/user/Paderic.aspx
View Last 25 Posts by paderic HERE. Thread Title, Newest Threads, Username. Last 25 active threads paderic has participated in: ALL, Alabama, Alabama ...

What name did you google?
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 12:26:58 AM
Once I decide someone might have potential I'll google her, not so much looking for dirt as just trying to learn all I can about her and what she's been involved in so I have a better sense of her as a person.

I guess my intuition must serve me well, or maybe I've just been lucky, but not once have I found anything disturbing about anyone I had a good enough vibe about to google.

If it's a situation where we went quickly from first contact to meet and greet I may not bother. If after that first meet it looks like we're headed for a second then I probably will.

And I often suggest someone google me if they want to learn more about me, or look at my facebook page. I've got a unique name so I'm the only one of me that will show up in either place and I've got no skeletons in my closet so sure, look all you want.

Heck, it's against the rules to share our full names on the forums but if anyone cared enough to ask in a private message I'd gladly share my full name and you can google or utilize whatever other investigative tools you want to your heart's content. I find openness serves me a lot better than being secretive.
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 5:23:55 AM
I checked Google out to see what showed up and there was very little about me and that information was inaccurate. They had the correct age but listed the city I hav'nt lived in since 1986. There was one very well known person almost anyone could identify that took up most of the search. One eccentric found dead in his home, heir to a large sum of money.
 DFW_Racer
Msg: 27
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 6:04:45 AM
I'm work in Tech and pretty savvy when it comes to Googleing. Having a decent email address, name, home town, profession and phone number are great searchable terms.

So far from POF. One woman used her cell on her website, "I'm your sugar baby dot com"

Another search turned up a Facebook profile of Psycho woman with serious man issues.

All other searches have turned up the typical normal okay stuff, nothing to be alarmed about, but the two examples above prove that Googleing an "Internet" meet can be very beneficial, regardless of the forum where you've meet
 Paderic
Msg: 28
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 7:47:28 AM
What name did you google?

I googled my real name, my email and home addresses, and my telephone number. Paderic is a nom de plume that I only use on this site.
 windchymes
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 9:01:03 AM
"piety is the best cover of all. you can get caught with your hand in the orphans' till (and elsewhere) and you just pull on that hair shirt and everyone grants you 'forgiveness.' score!"

Yeah, but that little tantrum you had in the temple that one day was a deal-breaker for me. They say to watch how he treats service staff and sales people.

Plus, those 12 guy friends of yours are always around, and every time I see a picture of you, you're all partying and some chick is trying to lick your feet....

I'm going to hell, I know.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 30
Do You Google?
Posted: 2/11/2012 9:08:40 AM

Heck, it's against the rules to share our full names on the forums but if anyone cared enough to ask in a private message I'd gladly share my full name and you can google or utilize whatever other investigative tools you want to your heart's content. I find openness serves me a lot better than being secretive.

That is cause you have nothing to hide, which is exactly the way it should be, those who do have something to hide are going to hate that Google actually gives people a way to find out, like POF, it is a tool to use.

I think part of what bothered me was their insistent about how bad FB was and how they didn't believe in it ...ends up he had a page ...and a girlfriend.

I would say that a higher percentage of people are who they say (while some might be in denial about exactly what that is) but the few who arent are the ones who make it hard for everyone.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do You Google?