Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Painting      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 2
PaintingPage 1 of 1    
Acrylic is the easiest (and cheapest)
Oil is more forgiving, because it takes longer to dry. If you mess up, you wipe it up and start over.
If you want to try watercolor, paint on a flat surface -like on a table- it takes a while before you can control drips.

veevee
Msg: 3
Painting
Posted: 2/11/2012 8:52:20 PM
Watercolor is hardest. With the other two you can layer and change your mind.
Something else about watercolor is that it can move out of the lines you put it down with depending on how much water you use - plus the color doesn't just lay flat - if you brush an area once you get a light application, twice, darker etc. That's why some people suggest starting with your shadows in watercolor first.

Of them all I think watercolor is the funnest, possibly because of the challenge.

The difference too in watercolor is that you need to plan where white will be because there is no real white watercolor paint unless you get some tube paint on the side - nothing is going to be as white as either of the other two. Also your drawing lines in pencil might not cover up if your paint is thin.

Still though, watercolor does give you lots of creative chances with splatter and moving around colors getting an unexpected combination that you like in backgrounds. For a beginner to make an abstract type of watercolor it isn't too hard.
I suggest you get some prismacolor pencils for highlighting your watercolor or making small drawings. They have a nice smearing clear too.

Good brushes are an investment if you take any of them up. The paper for watercolor isn't cheap either but you can't watercolor on just anything or it will curl up or pucker.

To start doing watercolor I probably spent 20 on a pat of paints, 60 on brushes, another 40 on 2 pads of paper and I already had the pencils - they were around 50 for a set.

If you like being overly detailed and have some perfectionism in you I really suggest the pencils for touchups.
 Edhop
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Painting
Posted: 2/12/2012 11:04:05 AM
Look at oil pastels, it's like using crayolas again. Easy to apply, easy to pull off and easy to cover up. I use 100% rag paper, but any paper with a tooth will work to get started.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 7
Painting
Posted: 2/13/2012 7:07:15 PM
If you're a good draftsman but need to practice your color work, I'd suggest oil pastels and/or regular pastels. Those are the perfect amalgam of drawing and painting, and neither are pricey. The good paper's not pricey either.

You do have to use fixative for the regular pastels, and when you frame them you have to either have a triple mat or an airspace between the glass and the paper, or the surface tension of the glass will lift the pastel particles off the paper over the course of time (even with fixative).
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Painting