Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Should I keep trying?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tyler_m.
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
A couple weeks ago I met this girl on the site and we met, hit things off pretty good from what she was tellin' me. I told her compared to my last ex I dated for a year, I already liked you more. which may have scared her away. ? The issue that happened was coming home from a party, I drove. Keeping in mind I only have like 3 beer the whole night, she ended it that night. If someone actually liked you you'd think they wouldn't up and dump you without a second chance. So to apologize I brought her flowers and said sorry, so did I blow it or should i be presistant?
 SunshineAngel99
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/10/2012 12:03:12 PM
This is a learning experience, so move on. But reckless behavior women frown upon, well most do.
 tyler_m.
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/10/2012 12:03:57 PM
Lol yeah i guess youre right, I learnt my lesson on that one.
 daynadaze
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/10/2012 12:29:57 PM
Only very insecure girls would get off on you making her sound better than your ex. If you can't compliment someone without bashing someone else, just don't say anything.
 mrsforums
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/10/2012 1:16:57 PM
OP,

Whatever the case, I hope it's because you drink and drive...what a selfish, fvckwit thing for you to do! ... ONE drink is too many.

MrsF
 aussiesealady
Msg: 6
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/10/2012 1:43:16 PM
Never compare with your ex, and preferably don't talk about your ex.
Also don't compare them with your mother. (Not sure which would be worse)

You can say things like:
You are amazing / beautiful / smart / capable etc
You are the most amazing woman I have ever met etc etc

You are young.
It is expected that you will do stupid things from time to time. Part of the learning process.

1. Don't drink and drive
2. Don't drink or use any other mind altering drugs if you are trying to impress someone (it will have the opposite effect)
3. Treat everyone as an individual rather than compare them with someone else
4. Avoid complimenting her body parts until much later in the relationship (just thought I would throw that in)
 NJ_Phil
Msg: 7
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/10/2012 3:36:12 PM
The only thing you blew was probably the $45 bucks on flowers. Flowers work for silly little goofups in my opinion, like saying "NO" when she asks "Do I look fat in these jeans". . Why torture yourself with being persistent?
 DameWrite
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/10/2012 4:03:38 PM
She might forgive you but with so many other men available who would never even think to drink and drive, after only two weeks of knowing you, why would/should she bother?
I'd be working on proving to her (and yourself) that you take her concern seriously, that you "get it" now and that it was a stupid move to drive. If you want a healthy relationship, start making healthier choices. You just might like it.
 DameWrite
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/10/2012 4:11:18 PM
while you're at it...You can send a pic of yourself with a big L written across your forehead and tell her you will not rub it off until she accepts your apology. (Then wait the 3 days until she begs to come over to rub it off for you).
You just never know...
 RedDelPaPa
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/11/2012 12:03:15 AM
You didn't just blow it, you mother effin blew it!

#1 you compared her to an ex.
#2 you told her you already liked her more
#3 you tried to manipulate her with flowers

She may have liked you, but 3 strikes and you're out.
 Yankee again
Msg: 11
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/11/2012 3:23:13 AM
you compared her to your x............... you blew it learn and move on
 simmike68
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/11/2012 1:35:30 PM
Know i wouldnt bother mate,i,ve just come out off a 3 mnth relationship,the women in question loved me from day one,when i showed it her back she frooze and pushed me away.she knows how you feel,so just have to wait bud but move on at the same time.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 13
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/12/2012 8:12:53 AM
Talking about your ex is a huge turnoff. I dated a guy in my 20's who constantly talked abut his ex, I dumped him, that's the worst thing you can do.
 The_Standard_Model
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/12/2012 1:39:34 PM

Whatever the case, I hope it's because you drink and drive...what a selfish, fvckwit thing for you to do! ... ONE drink is too many.

Uhhh, what? How about we assume that if he is under the legal limit, then he is being legal and ethical. It's a pretty selfish and fvckwit thing to do to harrague a nineteen year old kid looking for a little help with your own personal tirade. If any cop will be fine with it then leave him alone.

Can't help you buddy, cause you can't fix stupid.

Yeah... Lotsa douchebags today huh. I imagine that when you were a teenager you had all the answers. How about we appreciate that he is a good kid trying to treat a girl nicely.

Chaulk it up to a learning experience and slow down next time buddy.
 mrsforums
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/12/2012 1:52:45 PM
Canam...he admitted to drinking and driving in his post for a reason, and MY opinion still stands. We buried my girlfriend's son on Friday. He "had a couple of beers", chose to drive, hit another car, he died as did the passenger in the other car.

OP, I hope you read this post. I will say the SAME thing to ANYONE who chooses to drink and drive.

MrsF

Edit:
Let it rest. We obviously have very different opinions in this matter.
VVVVVV
 The_Standard_Model
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/12/2012 2:06:50 PM

Canam...he admitted to drinking and driving in his post for a reason, and MY opinion still stands. We buried my girlfriend's son on Friday. He "had a couple of beers", chose to drive, hit another car, he died as did the passenger in the other car.

OP, I hope you read this post. I will say the SAME thing to ANYONE who chooses to drink and drive.

MrsF

Well while I am sorry for your loss, in no way does it excuse you being a complete jerk towards a teenaged, broken hearted kid, that was trying to be a great guy. He said that he had 3 beer ALL NIGHT. The insinuation being that he was at this party at least a few hours. We are commonly taught that drinking a beer an hour will keep you under the legal limit and safe to drive. The fact that YOU have decided that even one drink is too much does not make it okay for you to be aggressive towards this kid. There are better ways to get your point across than celebrating his pain.
 cpe1704tks
Msg: 17
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/13/2012 7:21:02 AM
I turned down a woman once by telling her that she reminds me of my mother.
I believe she wasn't very happy about that. :)
 RedDelPaPa
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/14/2012 9:08:07 PM

MrsF

MrsF, if you have EVER driven and played with your cell phone, please keep your hypocritical trap closed tightly. Thank you.

Sincerely,
from anyone who has died from distracted driving of any type.
 jmark4
Msg: 19
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/15/2012 12:46:07 AM
I'm sorry it happened. Just the vibes of your story shows you came on way too strong. You should not bring up your ex, and you shouldnt' be so into someone in such a short time. You scared her off.

Just take it easy, don't be so intense and get to know the person. Lighten up a little and you will do fine.

Also dont' be drinking and driving.
 jmark4
Msg: 20
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/15/2012 12:47:20 AM

Drinking and driving would have me gone too . Time to grow up.

I agree totally; I would have had one beer or none. I think you were too intense and the drinking and driving wasn't cool. I'm sure you'll learn from this and do better next time.
 mrsforums
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/15/2012 1:13:02 AM
Red....no need to flame on me if you disagree...or try to hijack the thread in another direction.

Still stand on my opinion...and NO, you don't get to dictate whether or not I voice my opinion.

MrsF

1bellanella
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/17/2012 6:10:22 AM
Is 19 the legal drinking age in Canada?

yes

Can your heart break after dating for 2 weeks?

yes

Why are fire engines red?

Because red is more visible through a cloud of smoke than blue, grey or black.
 0ldhag
Msg: 23
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/17/2012 6:31:46 AM
No you should NOT be persistant

What a stupid reason for dumping you.

Although, only after a couple of weeks I can't imagine you guys were all too serious...
 ilovehistory
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/17/2012 9:25:59 PM
Red paint is not the cheapest. As a professional artist, I have paid attention to the different costs of different pigments used in paints. Reds historically were cadmium based, expensive, and toxic to work with. Modern reds are usually synthetic dye based and cheaper, but in the past, red was not cheap. Black and browns are the cheapest. Blacks were and still usually are made from carbon, and browns were ground up clay mixed with the paint base. Very cheap to make! That's why Henry Ford offered the Model T in "Any color you want, so long as its black."
 The_Standard_Model
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Should I keep trying?
Posted: 2/17/2012 9:53:34 PM

Yet, ironically, its ok to celebrate the pain of MrsForums to get your point across?

uhh, at no point did I celebrate, nor make light of her situation. No one's pain should be celebrated. That is kinda cruel.

MrsF, if you have EVER driven and played with your cell phone, please keep your hypocritical trap closed tightly. Thank you.

I did not make that comment.

Who teaches this? I'm 5'1 and 105lbs ... if I am leaving a party after 3 beers (1 an hour) and probably tired ... can you say I can drive home safely?

Actually most States teach this as what bartenders/managers should observe to prevent guests from becoming to intoxicated. The Op looks to be about average size though (Actually I just checked. 5'11 and average build) So he falls pretty well into that catagory.
Either way, the point being made by ME is that there are better ways to get your point across than being happy that a young man that was trying to be a decent guy to a young lady is heartbroken. He is young and inexperienced and going through the process. None of us are his parents. None of us would appreciate being harped on about what we do be strangers. To say that she hopes that she left him is a pretty crappy way to talk to a hurt teenager.
Try and be ... nicer.

End of point.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Should I keep trying?