Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > China's one child policy      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 laskoboo
Msg: 2
view profile
History
China's one child policyPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I know the thread and topic and as you would imagine...
I think it would be an excellent idea to limit children in USA according to some requirements................ no more octomoms........... or the people who keep having kids they cannot support.
Not everyone agrees and that is their choice... the way things are going, no one is going to be able to afford to have much of anything, much less a child... and the children who are now around raise themselves, are disrespectful.

People like the Duggars who are debt free and have stay at home help and supervison 24/7 are NOT the people I am refering too....
I feel if someone is collecting ANY type of social welfare to raise a child they should not be allowed to have more children and accept sterilization in exchange for financial assiatance.

Harsh? yeah...
but we would all be better off in untold ways ro have children who are not only planned for but loved, raised and parented.
 Luke_Mason
Msg: 3
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/15/2012 2:55:09 PM
Just for a little clarification before people get the impression the whole freaking Country of China abides by this rule.

It is not an all encompassing rule because it has always been restricted to ethnic Han Chinese living in urban areas. Citizens living in rural areas and minorities living in China are not subject to the law. They're still having multiple babies in rural areas.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 4
view profile
History
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/15/2012 3:24:33 PM
it's easy to do an internet search and discover the whos and whats of Chinese restrictions regarding birth restrictions ... it's interesting ... very interesting experiment ...

currently, according to what I just read, 35.9% of China's population are subject to this one child ruling ... and 76% support it ... I'm guessing that's 76% of the total population who are in favor of the ruling, whereas SOME of the 35.9% who are subject to this ruling aren't so keen on the idea ...

there are so many exceptions to the restrictions that it's confusing as to who is and who isn't covered ... this is further compounded by how different providences enforce the ruling ... some rural people are allowed to have second children if, for example, their first child has some sort of disability ... sometimes if the first-born child is a girl ... foreigners and ethnic minorities may have more children ... it's not a simple situation ...

when you look it up, you'll discover there are multiple problems ... including if you're the only child of two only children, the issue arises as to how can you support your two aging parents and your four aging grandparents? so now the government is allowing singletons (only children) who are married to singletons to request and be allowed to have a second child ...

Ye Tingfang, who is apparently a Professor in China at a university level, said that the one child ruling is too extreme and violates nature's laws which will lead to mother nature's revenge.

interesting ...
 VADERPRIME
Msg: 5
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/15/2012 3:34:06 PM
All should have 2 kids,to replace 2 humans...Wow, imagine all the parking spaces and no traffic jam issues...;-}
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 8
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/15/2012 4:25:19 PM

It is interesting and a bit creepy but apparently the policy has prevented 400 million births from 1979 to 2011. That's amazing to me!

From the land of made up numbers that one has to take the cake.

I don't want to get into theology but I'm sure there are a lot of ppl who would claim it's an abomination of nature.

IMO, an abomination of nature is not using common sense to control your population.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 11
view profile
History
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/15/2012 5:17:27 PM
according to one source I read, China currently has a million more births than deaths every 5 weeks ... so their population continues to grow ...

I think it has more to do with available space to live, breathe, provide shelter to, jobs and sustenance for, etc. than just the physical space to lie down or be buried in ... that is another reason I'd prefer cremation as well ... don't want my used up, worn out, empty bod taking up space where someone could lay their head at night to sleep!!!

presuming someone wouldn't mind sleeping in a box in a cemetery ...
 Wolfpath
Msg: 12
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/15/2012 5:34:57 PM
If its ethnic or prejudicially b ased, then its inherently worng.

However, considering all the people who fail to realize the consequences of unbridled reproduction?

Well, some people still think the governments on their side, too . . .

Why is it Humans want to control animals, plants, and what others around them do, but they won''t place the same perceptions on themselves?

We are such funny fickle creatures.

Humans - the one non neccessary critter in any eco system or environment . . .
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 13
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/15/2012 5:39:21 PM

Ok, I'll take the bait; IYO how should nations use common sense in controlling their populations?

Education that has nothing to do with religion and is based on scientific facts.

Get the churches out of the 3rd world countries, as their faith based education is just making the problems worse.

Trade not aid.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 14
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/15/2012 5:58:20 PM
I'm sure it is hard to enforce.
And even harder on families to live by.
But it is better for China in the long run.

However it may not be needed in 10 years.
Prosperity always reduces family size.
Any country that reaches a comfortable standard of living
sees it's population shrink over time.
Middle class folks tend to maximize resources on fewer
kids for their best well being.
 part deux
Msg: 15
view profile
History
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/15/2012 6:10:30 PM
This is strictly anecdotal, but I have noticed that many migrants to Canada from China, Japan and Korea, despite the lack of reproductive restrictions, still have only a couple of children. This might be in part to the emphasis put on education; the parents do not want to have more children than they can afford to support through post secondary institutions.
I think people like the Duggars, who pimp out their families to pay for their lifestyle are nauseating. The youngest children can not give informed consent to have their lives spread out for everyone to see. I wonder how many of them will have difficulty as adults.
 Tah,
Msg: 17
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/15/2012 7:03:36 PM

One only has to understand why China will always want to be on friendly terms with the US....they absolutely rely on our ability to produce food for them.

Ironic that 50 million americans are in poverty ....
 lotustemple
Msg: 18
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/15/2012 11:34:36 PM
Clearly i have the most extreme response: humans can stop reproducing all together, this planet is much better off without them, what a messy destructive species. Give the planet back to nature and all her lovely critters minus the humans.
 Tah,
Msg: 19
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/16/2012 12:55:27 AM

In America you starve even if there is lots of food. Democracy, you know. Oh, and freedom too.

Do mcdonalds and such apparant restraunts still throw out the leftovers in the tons every night or do they practise better management techinques and even redistribute the leftovers to the homeless and such?
Do abortion clinics still get bombed by fundementalist christians and staff assisanated and such?
 Casper66
Msg: 20
view profile
History
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/16/2012 1:29:52 AM
Well with 7 billion people on the planet and growing in number, limited areas to grow enough food for everyone and increased consumption of natural resources, a restriction might be a good thing, say 2 kids. I've seen too many so-called parents have multiple kids just to get more money from the government, maybe we should use manditory birthcontrol until a couple can show they are ready emotionally and financially to have kids.
 Tah,
Msg: 21
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/16/2012 2:08:42 AM
I thought you only have children when you know you can provide for and properly educate that child until they are ready to rear kids themselves, otherwise if you can't or don't plan you don't have kids and save them from neglect and suffering?

It is neglect isn't if you bring a child into this world without considering all possibilities for at least 18 years?
 Viper1E
Msg: 22
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/16/2012 3:58:57 AM
I feel if someone is collecting ANY type of social welfare to raise a child they should not be allowed to have more children and accept sterilization in exchange for financial assistance.

Sterile or starve? That's sweet, but you claim to be against abortion, so I guess that means they'll toss the babies off the nearest bridge into the river to stay below minimum child limit and you're ok with that.

So I guess you would change your mind about the Duggar family which you seem to defend because they too are "good Christians" like you, if God forbid, both parents died? And left all those children as wards dependant on social welfare?

Poor ole' Jim Bob is only one heart attack or stroke away from putting his family on her shit list!

But they ARE the poster family for forced sterilization.
 daynadaze
Msg: 23
view profile
History
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/16/2012 10:32:50 AM
I think it's horrible for the individuals who want more children, but the country overpopulated itself and now it's suffering the consequences.
 want to travel
Msg: 24
view profile
History
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/16/2012 1:24:16 PM
contrary to popular belief, china is a mosaic country
it has huge ethic populations, and the country would only be one third of its current size, if the other countries where to opt for to leave china
the one child rule is mostly for the 'other ethnic components' of that country, it is a slow form of genocide
just look up tibet
 AngelWithGuns
Msg: 25
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/21/2012 12:09:09 PM
I am all for it. I wish they would do it here too. Maybe we would have more money to be giving the state where it is needed instead of supporting a slew of people who keep having kids, not working and using up funds that really are being abused.

Birth control is free and cheap yet it is not used. I hear women of all ages practically bragging how they get all this * state money * for each child they have. And half the time it doesn't even appear these children are even being raised. Why not have one child raise that one right and enjoy life ? Why keep having more and more when people cannot even afford it. And not just financially, but all the other things involved.

AngelWithGuns
Msg: 26
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/21/2012 12:43:05 PM
I do not work for the state, and each situation is different. I have a classmate with 2 kids who gets $ 2275.00 a month for rent , gas, and a food card. She was also * given * a mini van ( 4 year old one ) since she did not have reliable transportation. That was donated by a state funded program. Is this a lot of money? No, but it is when you multiply it by how many people getting this.

I did not even believe her until she showed me proof.

So you tell me, you think that is okay? And for her to sit and make remarks about how * she doesn't need to work " because she gets these funds? On top of this she also gets free day care, free summer camps and additional food stamps.

Isn't that lovely?

And no, having kids is not cheap either. But like she said, it dod not come out of her pocket. Ugh.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 27
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/21/2012 6:33:40 PM
This is not a hard and fast rule: I have had several Chinese students and some have had siblings. One (who was an only child) said that couples can pay the government in order to have a second child--his parents considered it but didn't do it.
 MsMicki
Msg: 28
view profile
History
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/21/2012 8:54:40 PM
If the first child born is a female, the parents can petition to have a 2nd child hoping for a son.
 KorageHu
Msg: 29
view profile
History
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/27/2012 5:24:19 AM
Luke, the black guy, is absolutely correct.

To touch base, it only effects Han under Chinese citizenship.

I am Han under American citizenship. Big Apple Born!

The One Child Policy is actually Birth Policy. Many groups depending on where they live are given different rules. Europeans started the crying calling it one child...

Mao ZeDong would had never agree to this policy. He believe in a bigger country with even bigger population and army.

What do I believe? I hate China cutting back with their stupid peace. In a few years. India will have MORE people and INDIA IS WORST, because their skinny dead poor. I wish China go to war with India... Even things out a little. China hurts its own people, it should wage war and become aggressive like USA or better.

Cmon China.. invade something!
 slybandit
Msg: 30
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/27/2012 8:31:34 AM
Well, it is obviously a very complex question.

From the standpoint of Western countries, a common reaction would be that the policy is a gross violation of human rights, and that people should have reproductive freedom to have children if they wish to do so.

Yet there are plenty of problems with that view. This planet has limited resources. One obvious answer is that individuals should consume less and damage it less, but how realistic an answer is that? Human beings just do not demonstrate that kind of altruism or self-control, consistently, en masse, enough for it to make any difference.

The numbers of people we have now simply cannot live so as to not damage the ecological systems they depend on, it's impossible. We already have plenty of evidence for that.

You cannot support 6, 7 billion people based on hunter-gatherer or subsistence-level agriculture, it's just not possible, it cannot be done. Technology might come that could change that, but I would not bet on it personally. China is basically at the sharp end of having to deal with the problem, because of sheer population pressure and density.

How else are you going to do it, than impose reproduction limits? Yes, reproduction rates fall with urbanization, to a greater or lesser extent, depending on the degree to which the social culture values or imposes large families, but still not enough.
 KorageHu
Msg: 31
view profile
History
China's one child policy
Posted: 2/27/2012 5:11:56 PM
Lol Born and raise in USA.

I can say that Americans make hypocrit complaints.

China has cheap labor because there's so many people there. We hate their cheap labor.. yet we want the Chinese to produce more more more children.

Lol Read the Birth Policy carefully. Then people would stop copying the crying europeans saying its One Child Policy.

The hispanic, blacks, and whites in America are copying the Europeans when they say "One child policy."... C'mon.. the last time we listen to Europe, we heard Iraq has Nuclear weapons and found none.

If you don't want to buy stuff made in china, dont.. no one is forcing you. Lol Go get your stuff from mexico.. then they'll complain about them too. producing TOO MANY KIDS. LOL Aint I being honest? Cmon..... Common Sense.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > China's one child policy