Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Emailing, Texting, or Calling      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cooldog65
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Emailing, Texting, or CallingPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
" Personally I would much rather text as it allows me to do other things while still semi-having a conversation."

I would call that not giving someone your undivided attention. The other person is being treated as an option, not a priority. Texting is simply a slow, cumbersome mode of communication. It lacks the depth and real emotional connection of the human voice.

It's called text messaging for a reason, not text conversation. Stupid cell phone companies enabling this because some teens ran up enormous phone bills and they caved in. It certainly doesn't enhance communication, language, or spelling skills. Major
 cooldog65
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Emailing, Texting, or Calling
Posted: 2/17/2012 8:20:32 AM
^^^^^
Mr. Pumped up kicks, I actually talk on my cell phone. I actually gave up the landline in 2000. When I would exchange numbers with a lady, they were suspicious that I might have been married because of having only a cell phone. Times have changed.
 cooldog65
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2012 8:40:24 AM
Real sex > phone sex > sexting. Try sexting with lube on your hands. Kind of messy. Sometimes less is more.
 cooldog65
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2012 8:49:14 AM
" Any use other than that is purely mental masturbation and solipsistic entertainment."

I should be mentally blind by now.

I prefer face to face, but am not always able to see my friends. Will continue to mentally masturbate and go further blind.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2012 9:45:57 AM
I don’t use text at all and I have to remember to tell people that I don’t have text when I give out my phone. It is assumed nowadays that when you give out your number people text you instead of make a call. I don't like that assumption but it is what it is.

For information exchange I find e-mail most effective. If I want to chat, I call and arrange a time to meet. Can’t stand it when someone calls and has nothing to say.
 luv2lol
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2012 3:26:58 PM
Texting for sure. I'm a huge texting freak! A friend and I used to text so much I would wear down my nails on the keys when I had a blackberry. Crazy I know. I don't have too much trouble getting tone across with the use of emoticons and taking the time to identify sarcasm, etc., and I usually get to know a lot about people before I meet them which makes for better conversation on our first date. After I meet someone I like to text throughout the day but would rather call at night. It's just faster to talk about details of your day...and I want to hear the other persons voice
 0gental1
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2012 3:36:14 PM
texting can be miss read and understood, I rather talk on the phone or in person. I also hate when people stop everything they are doing to text, FOCUS! anyways thats just me...
 MikeWM
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2012 7:44:59 AM
Maybe I'm just showing my age here but I dislike text and email as forms of "communication"

Theyre "ok" for info updates like "Run out of milk, can you get some" or "running 10 minutes late" etc. But for trying to communicate anything else I avoid them like the plague

I would rather have one 5 minute phone call than 20 texts, plus I see my phone as something thats there for if I "NEED" it, not a surgically implanted part of my being that demands focus and attention above all else

So I will often have a text or missed call that I dont even look at never mind respond to for hours if I'm already doing something else

One of the side effects of growing up in the pre mobile era I guess lol

But my order of preference would be

1. talking face to face
2. talking on the phone

100000001 Email
100000002 Text

Jan14324
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2012 8:36:55 AM
I prefer to email or text until I actually meet someone face to face, then I'll get on the phone. I really hate calling people and I'm not sure why....maybe it's because the people I talk to on the phone ramble for so long that it's hard to end the conversation. With texting you can get on with your life. My kids (all in their 20's) prefer to text too. PS: I have a great connection with kids and friends when we're face to face.
 cooldog65
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2012 8:48:33 AM
" I text, email as well as phone... Best is one on one in person.. you can see in there eyes, listen to their voice and touch that texting hand...

Ha... Cooldog65.. I am married..(no married women, don't be bashful, ha) Read your profile as well as a number on your posting on the forums.. I thought what you said was great so many times.. Checked out your profile.. Also, enjoyed and little impressed.. You are like a world away... Love the warp travel.. It would be awesome some time.. Think you have a cute smile as well.. Barbie"

I definitely like what you said. The senses (touch, sight, hearing, smell, sound) is great one on one. Technology hasn't replaced the human experience yet. Barbie, thank you so much for the kind words. I'm blushing. Yes I am a sexy beast!
 Pingshooter
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2012 8:50:21 AM
When you are hearing impaired, but want to be somewhat 'normal', you do embrace technology.

I have an Android smartphone to text, email.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/18/2012 12:17:25 PM

Personally I would much rather text as it allows me to do other things while still semi-having a conversation

in other words, not really pay attention to what the other person is 'saying'?

relegating them to 'background noise' as you focus on other more important things?

heck --some people are good at doing that in person, or on the phone, too
 cooldog65
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2012 5:35:55 PM
^^^^^
Excellent point. I also found texting slow and cumbersome because I also spell out words and punctuate. I am only good at multitasking if different senses are involved. If talking on the phone and tv/radio is on, I have to shut it off or my focus is compromised.

" texting can be miss read and understood, I rather talk on the phone or in person. I also hate when people stop everything they are doing to text, FOCUS! anyways thats just me..."

Above statement from a poster 20 years younger than me. Refreshing!

" Posted: 2/17/2012 3:01:45 PM

I dislike speaking on the phone, maybe because I spent a lot of time in my old job on one. Plus I don't have body language to interpret certain comments. Once we've dated a couple of times it's fine but not straight away for me personally. I enjoy txt conversations as they can last minutes, days or even weeks. But they are not stilted by awkward silence. Last two guys I dated only txt once a week before the actual date and no phone call at all and I find that totally unacceptable, hence why their number was swiftly removed."

Is it me or is the above statement all over the place? Body language needed to interpret certain comments on the phone? Text conversations that can last days or weeks? Who has that kind of time on their hands? As for the lack of contact from the guys looks pretty obvious. Probably in a relationship/married or juggling other women.
 twotru
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2012 1:05:41 PM
Cooldog--"It's called text messaging for a reason, not text conversation. Stupid cell phone companies enabling this because some teens ran up enormous phone bills and they caved in. It certainly doesn't enhance communication, language, or spelling skills. Major "

Texting, or SMS (Short Message Service) is something that MILLIONS of cell phone customers use and want. The majority of cell phone customers have texting plans for their personal use. How do I know? I work for the biggest (and in my opinion best) wireless carrier there is ;)

So while y'all stand around denouncing texting, just remember back when telephones came out they were decried as impersonal and not as good as in person. Now we teach our phone reps how to convey the correct polite warm friendly tone over the phone LOL!

I text frequently. Mine are more the "Be there in 10" or "I'm heading out" or a quick response to an employee for whatever it is they need. I dislike the long "conversation" type texts but then I also dislike long phone conversations.

My texts are grammatically correct, my hTC Rezound is top of the line with hTC Sense and Swype for quick accurate messages. Some of my reps laugh at my correct texting but I'm 40 and don't like text speak *shrug*

When it comes to getting to know someone, for me it's in person. I HATE yakking on the ph0ne, emails that get too long and I zone out (I have a book selection to read if I want to spend an evening reading) and texting is for quick direction or info, IMO.

Oh, and yes, I can text and drive. I have voice to text and SYNC in my new cute little car, it's fabulous. I do want to find out if there is something in the Droid OS that will change the ringtone in my car though, it's old school cheap Samsung flip phone sounding LOL!!
 cooldog65
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2012 6:40:59 PM
^^^^^
I can agree and disagree with the above poster, but I will still stick with my original statement.

I have an HTC evo and have swype. I found T9 word was more accurate, but a bit slower. Actually it evened out due to correcting errors through swype. Talk to text is hit and miss. When you have to be told not to text and drive, silence cell phone in movie theater, etc...What happened to common sense?

I agree with not liking text speak, but isn't IMO and LOL forms of text speak? Another post a bit all over the place.
 cooldog65
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2012 7:36:18 PM
^^^^^
Texting while in class? Are you kidding me? Proves my point about common sense. No wonder common sense is on the decline. Technology has evolved faster than our maturity and ability to handle/use it responsibly.

I'm so 20th century.
 wiseguy_89
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2012 9:07:03 PM
I always prefer phone calls.My current phone plan requires me to pay for each and every message so I try to avoid texts as much as possible.Also,you can say tons with a phone call compared to what you can do with hundreds of emails or texts.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/20/2012 10:37:03 AM
text is good for many people because they can have ongoing 'convos' with 2, 3, 4 or more people at a time, and not have to focus on any particular one, really -sort of background noise

great for 'playas' I'd think..
 cooldog65
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2012 12:50:56 AM
^^^^^
" Real sex > phone sex > sexting. Try sexting with lube on your hands. Kind of messy."

You must have been referring to this earlier statement I made. Gotta keep the hands free for other things.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Emailing, Texting, or Calling